Type keyword(s) to search

Call The Midwife In The Media

• Start Topic

On 8/24/2022 at 10:29 PM, anna0852 said:

Looks like Season 11 will drop on Neflix on September 5, in the US at least 

My excitement at seeing it on my watch list! Watching the Christmas special first. It also usually has me crying.

Edited by nokat
(edited)

They started filming season 13.  So it looks like...

Spoiler

Cyril will be back next season.  There was a picture on Facebook of the opening day of filming.

Edited by Orcinus orca
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

That's not the new cast.  There is an official "Call the Midwife" tour in England.  Those in the nurse uniforms are actually tour guides.  They have expanded the tour in Chatham, and some of the cast members showed up for the celebration.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
32 minutes ago, debraran said:

I never liked Matthews character but why marry and have him be savior to then write him out? Contract/pay issues? 

Both Olly and Helen did a lot of media surrounding the wedding.  They said they wanted to stay with the show but didn't assume that the show felt the same way.

• Like 2

This is genuinely bizarre to me from a storytelling perspective. The show clearly introduced him so Trixie could get her happily ever after, they make a big deal about the wedding, and then he's just...gone? What was the point of all that? And, if they either split or he dies (which seems more likely to me), it kind of feels like the show tips over from "Trixie's been unlucky in love" to "we're actively torturing this character." And what happens to Jonty, the world's unluckiest child? The character also never really worked for me, but I don't get this at all.

(All that said, here's my plug that they bring back Christopher, please and thank you.)

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

Both Olly and Helen did a lot of media surrounding the wedding.  They said they wanted to stay with the show but didn't assume that the show felt the same way.

I don't get it, either.  What are they going to do?  Kill him off?  Seems like they already did that at least twice before on this show. Enough already!

Helen is one of just a couple who've been there from the start, I don't see how they can write Trixie out.  Are we just not going to see him, but have Trixie mention him every now and then?  Like Norm's wife, Vera, on Cheers?

Also, with the actress playing Lucille leaving the show, what happens to Cyril?   Is he going to join her in Jamaica and they'll both never be seen again?  I saw that the actress said she hoped Cyril would remain on the show, but I don't see how that works if his wife is thousands of miles away.  Especially since he is a fairly devout Christian minister.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

I don't get it, either.  What are they going to do?  Kill him off?  Seems like they already did that at least twice before on this show. Enough already!

Helen is one of just a couple who've been there from the start, I don't see how they can write Trixie out.  Are we just not going to see him, but have Trixie mention him every now and then?  Like Norm's wife, Vera, on Cheers?

Also, with the actress playing Lucille leaving the show, what happens to Cyril?   Is he going to join her in Jamaica and they'll both never be seen again?  I saw that the actress said she hoped Cyril would remain on the show, but I don't see how that works if his wife is thousands of miles away.  Especially since he is a fairly devout Christian minister.

We know that Trixie realized early on that she wasn't cut out to be a minister's wife, so they won't pair her off with Cyril.

This whole thing seems odd to me.  It looks like the cast and crew were surprised and it was made to sound like it was Olly's decision.  I wonder if he asking for too much of a pay raise to sign on for another season?  Are they going to move Trixie back into Nonnatus House?  What's going to happen to Jonty?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

46 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We know that Trixie realized early on that she wasn't cut out to be a minister's wife, so they won't pair her off with Cyril.

This whole thing seems odd to me.  It looks like the cast and crew were surprised and it was made to sound like it was Olly's decision.  I wonder if he asking for too much of a pay raise to sign on for another season?  Are they going to move Trixie back into Nonnatus House?  What's going to happen to Jonty?

They can have Lucille ask for divorce, breakdown etc. They can never show Matthew or replace him. Killing him    would  be like killing the show, too ridiculous.  If Trixie left or did parttime, easier. With new people it will be ok, if he decides to guest if possible, it’s all they need. He commented they didn’t seem to want him earlier in year for duration of show 

Edited by debraran
1 hour ago, debraran said:

They can have Lucille ask for divorce, breakdown etc. They can never show Matthew or replace him. Killing him    would  be like killing the show, too ridiculous.  If Trixie left or did parttime, easier. With new people it will be ok, if he decides to guest if possible, it’s all they need. He commented they didn’t seem to want him earlier in year for duration of show 

Even if they couldn't meet his price for a full season's contract, you'd think TPTB could've hired him for a couple of guest appearances.

I think it would be really unlikely for the character of Lucille would choose to divorce Cyril considering her rather conservative religious beliefs.  The show is just now coming into 1970 or so, and divorce was still fairly uncommon amongst that group and usually only happened in situations of domestic violence or cheating.

• Like 1

I suppose that Trixie would just come to work every day having found a wonderful nanny for Jonty and being too bored at home.  And hubbie is off doing business deals never to be seen again but mentioned occasionalliy.

No idea what they will do with Cyril.  He really doesn't fit into the group that well other than being a nice guy.

• Like 3

Yes, I was surprised since it was written like he was surprised (but by the Sun) when I read he said they never had the vision of seeing me in the cast for the next 2 years. So, they didn't like him or thought Helen wasn't staying. For them to say that BEFORE the wedding, he wasn't that popular or going to get a lot of air time. I'm probably in minority but I disliked the Trixie get the handy widower after a certain number of months, instant son and he was rich so he could be Santa to everyone if needed. Bleh

He said in article " Call the Midwife star hints at exit for Matthew after wedding to Trixie

“I don’t know if the show wants me until 2026. They might not want to go there. I don’t know,” he said.

From this article and I would bet a  buck he knew something then. https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1740046/Call-the-Midwife-Matthew-Aylward-exit-Trixie-wedding

Edited by debraran

I see absolutely nothing to indicate that Olly Rix is leaving the show voluntarily. Or that it has anything to do with money or contract issues.

Helen has said she always fears being written out of a show because you have no power over what writers want to do.  I think Olly was making the same point:  It doesn't matter how much you want to stay on, if TPTB decide your time is up, there's really nothing you can do.

My guess is that they'll either make him a villain of some kind or they'll kill him off.

Here's the entire Digital Spy interview that those quotes come from:

Digital Spy

Edited by Badger
adding information

I'm having trouble loading the link at the moment but I feel that some stars know they are there for the long haul and some left because they wanted too but for him to say after a huge wedding that took way too much time, he thought they'd write him off? IDK, I think when you work anywhere, you hear gossip and you have meetings and for him to think a main and loved character would get married and then he'd be cut.....it's strange. Why do that to Trixie? Just leave her be to date unless they thought as someone mentioned, they didn't need him physically there. Still odd.  Now if she wanted to leave or got pregnant again, that might bring new issues but I will hold off and see. Lots of gossip but an earlier interview saying that does give me pause. Most wanted to leave who left.

I couldn't imagine in an interview, Barbara's husband saying that after their wedding if she didn't die of course. ; )

Edited by debraran
8 hours ago, Badger said:

He never said he thought they were going to write him out, just that you don't know what writers might want to do with your character.  

I know, but my point (and I see yours too) is that the all the hullabaloo over the wedding and his character being like a "savior" which was a bit convenient, was talked about promoted a lot. Helen said "you never know" back in 2012, she didn't know if she'd stay or they'd want her, but lately her role has been very positive and obviously Trixie was beloved by most.

It's pretty drastic to me to just cut someone after a big wedding but we aren't privy to real meetings. Whether contract/money issues, or something behind the scenes, not having time for him with 2 new characters, I don't think he'll be as missed as others who left, but I wish they didn't have him get married if he wasn't as least going to make guest appearances. (those they don't seem to like)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I know, but my point (and I see yours too) is that the all the hullabaloo over the wedding and his character being like a "savior" which was a bit convenient, was talked about promoted a lot. Helen said "you never know" back in 2012, she didn't know if she'd stay or they'd want her, but lately her role has been very positive and obviously Trixie was beloved by most.

It's pretty drastic to me to just cut someone after a big wedding but we aren't privy to real meetings. Whether contract/money issues, or something behind the scenes, not having time for him with 2 new characters, I don't think he'll be as missed as others who left, but I wish they didn't have him get married if he wasn't as least going to make guest appearances. (those they don't seem to like)

I'm not sure the two new characters thing is all that relevant since it would mean there would be the same amount of characters there were when he came on the show.

Edited by Badger
adding content
27 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm not sure the two new characters thing is all that relevant since it would mean there would be the same amount of characters there were when he came on the show.

Probably not but I never understood the rich guy with Trixie. I know she wants someone like that but it took away something to have a person who could just wave his money and have things happen. Their struggles were real and this felt too convenient but not totally unbelievable. I was probably in the minority but I groaned when his wife died, I remember saying "Oh no, they aren't going to hook them up? Is this a soap opera?" He seemed wooden to me but others loved him and I am glad but obviously they didn't love him or his character that much sadly.

CTM Gossip about Helen and Olly

Spoiler

Now the Sun and Sunday can reveal the upcoming series will end on a cliffhanger, with Helen’s character Trixie deciding to leave.

It comes after we previously revealed Olly was to be written out of the show. His sudden departure is said to have shocked cast mates.

Our insider said: “Scriptwriters will send shock waves through the fanbase in the new series as Helen and Olly’s future on the show looks shaky. Olly’s departure has left the cast and crew stunned and upset.

“They all thought he was a series mainstay after his prominent wedding scenes to Helen last season.

“Now Helen’s character commits to leaving the East London setting in the final episode, following her on-screen husband.”

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

From the way press releases and interviews with Olly Rix sound, he may be there through most of Season 13 (the upcoming one), but possibly not past that.

He'll be in every episode but there are no guarantees after that.  

• Like 1
On 12/29/2023 at 8:11 AM, Badger said:

Among its many storylines, Series 13 will explore medical issues including tetanus, cerebral palsy, porphyria, congenital hip dysplasia, TB, and retinoblastomas. 

I first heard of porphyria when I read the author Isabel Allende's memoir Paula almost 30 years ago; her adult daughter (Paula) had it and eventually fell into a coma and passed away as a result.

14 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I first heard of porphyria when I read the author Isabel Allende's memoir Paula almost 30 years ago; her adult daughter (Paula) had it and eventually fell into a coma and passed away as a result.

King George III was also believed to have had it.  Some believe Princess Margaret and Prince William of Gloucester (elder brother of the current Duke of Gloucester who died in a plane crash) may also have had it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Badger said:

King George III was also believed to have had it.  Some believe Princess Margaret and Prince William of Gloucester (elder brother of the current Duke of Gloucester who died in a plane crash) may also have had it.

Yes, it is a heritable condition, so it stands to reason.

• Useful 1

For anyone in the US with YouTube TV, I just wanted to note some confusion in the labeling there: there is an episode currently available as VOD that is labeled 13.2, that is actually 12.2. (Obviously, S13 episodes aren't available yet here except for those with PBS Passport subscriptions.)

• Useful 3