Type keyword(s) to search

Call The Midwife In The Media

• Start Topic

Oh yeah, that was Trixie and what a lovely video in any case!

The spooky thing is that I was just reading an old novel of mine set in WWII and someone in the book heard that song.  I thought to myself, I need to look that up next time I'm on the computer. I sat down and there it was!

• Love 3

The Call the Midwife Facebook page had a post today confirming that there will be a 2020 Christmas special and that season/series 10 will air next year, so they must have figured they’ll be able to resume shooting in due course.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, caitmcg said:

The Call the Midwife Facebook page had a post today confirming that there will be a 2020 Christmas special and that season/series 10 will air next year, so they must have figured they’ll be able to resume shooting in due course.

I can imagine the Christmas special: "A magical blizzard takes the cast to the future and strands each of them in a different room of various people's homes.  It's now up to Sister Monica Joan, who was left behind, to try and get everyone back, one at a time, to a specific and individual room of Nonnatus House in time for Christmas so they can each spend the holiday isolated from one another, like people in the past totally do." 

• LOL 9

oh wow--I've been watching this show slowly about 2 years behind. I am in season 9 and had realized there was no season 10 and was getting sad to finish. But now I learn there is a season 10 and 11 coming? it's like Christmas in April

I just came here to see if there was any news on when we here in the US would get the series again.  September is a long time to wait, but there it is.  At least it's returning, and renewed for what? two more seasons/series!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Did anyone watch the 10th anniversary show? I thought it was a great look back at the series and, as is custom, I got teary-eyed more than once. [It was an out of character retrospective, so no worries about spoilers.]

• Love 3
On 6/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, Epeolatrix said:

Did anyone watch the 10th anniversary show? I thought it was a great look back at the series and, as is custom, I got teary-eyed more than once. [It was an out of character retrospective, so no worries about spoilers.]

No! I didn't know about it. I'll be on the lookout now!

• Love 2
On 7/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, caitmcg said:

Confirmed date for Season 10 première on PBS is September 26, per CTMW Facebook account. 

And now CTMW's social  media says Season 10 will actually start a week later, on October 3, on PBS.

• Love 1

According to the Call the Midwife Facebook page, filming has wrapped for Series (Season) 11, so it sounds as if, if we’re lucky, we may be on track to return to the usual Christmas special, then new season beginning early in the year in the UK, and late April on PBS.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just finished a book called Flying Angels.  One of the characters was a midwife in Poplar before she joined the RAF Medevac group in WWII.  It's fiction but it was fun to see the references to the East End and where the character grew up.

• Love 5
On 1/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, Cetacean said:

I just finished a book called Flying Angels.  One of the characters was a midwife in Poplar before she joined the RAF Medevac group in WWII.  It's fiction but it was fun to see the references to the East End and where the character grew up.

I've always thought that when they pull the plug on this show, the creators could do a prequel showing the Sisters of the Order to St. Raymond Nonnatus in the East End in earlier years.  They could do another 10-12 seasons if they started in the 30s and then took them through the war years.  

• Love 12
On 10/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, debraran said:

I got the book through Amazon UK (substantially cheaper than Amazon.com)

It is well worth shelling out for though, IMO.  There's contributions from pretty near all the cast and it gives a summary of each episode together with detailed looks at each season.  A lot of behind the scenes photos and interviews with the behind the camera people (writers/producers/props etc) 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I got the book through Amazon UK (substantially cheaper than Amazon.com)

It is well worth shelling out for though, IMO.  There's contributions from pretty near all the cast and it gives a summary of each episode together with detailed looks at each season.  A lot of behind the scenes photos and interviews with the behind the camera people (writers/producers/props etc) 

Yes,  quite substantial and must weigh 5lbs!

An interview with Olly Rix

Can you tell us about your character Matthew Aylward in Call the Midwife and what is he like to play?

He’s a decent man. It’s an odd starting point – to morally assess a character – but it actually seemed the best way to begin as he is so often trying to work out who he is. Who is he as a new father? Who is he without his wife? Who is he in the community he’s consciously stepping into more and more? In every situation he seems to strive to do the most decent thing he can, or at least ask himself what that would be. He’s intelligent but also sort of guileless, which I find quite an odd combination in people, and he’s been out of his depth with so many things owing to the storms that throw him around. What keeps him moving forward is holding himself to a high standard and helping people around him."

• Love 6

I know Olly Rix looks nothing like the person I am about to cite but I swear Matthew Aylward reminds me, character wise, of Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey.... the whole "I'm a good guy really" thing, his emotiveness, his caring, his boy scout nature and good looks. In my head I call him Cousin Matthew.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Also the fact that both of them found themselves in circumstances they never imagined: Matthew Crawley as the heir to an Earldom, Matthew Aylward as a widowed single father.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I had a Barbie who had a dress very similar to what Trixie is wearing at least in terms of the material.  

It's not in this article, but they were finally able to get a picture of the entire Turner family together.  

Some news about the Christmas special:

Spoiler

The Mullucks family will be making a return appearance which will include Susan starting school with her prosthetics.

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

Some more news about the Christmas special:

Spoiler

Rhoda Mullucks is expecting another baby.  A new nun named Sr. Veronica is coming in.  They didn't say but I wouldn't be surprised if she were black or Asian.  

Also, they'll be using that ventouse (?) Nancy was so keen on at the convention for the first time.

• Love 2