Type keyword(s) to search

Call The Midwife In The Media

• Start Topic

BBC Media Centre Call The Midwife page

It's interviews with the cast about what is going to happen with their characters so obviously somewhat spoilery.  There's also a synopsis of the first episode.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Doesn't look like there will be any mention of Patsy or Delia although possibly that could happen later.

Edited by Badger
Added a spoiler
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Badger said:

BBC Media Centre Call The Midwife page

It's interviews with the cast about what is going to happen with their characters so obviously somewhat spoilery.  There's also a synopsis of the first episode.  

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Doesn't look like there will be any mention of Patsy or Delia although possibly that could happen later.

Thanks. I read through it all, figuring I'll probably forget a bunch by the spring when it airs on PBS.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Thanks. I read through it all, figuring I'll probably forget a bunch by the spring when it airs on PBS.

Me, too. And I have no problem with spoilers for the Midwives for some reason.

21 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Since Call the Midwife is basically on loop in my house....spoilers don't matter to me.....I'll watch it over and over again.

Ditto. I just finished another full series rewatch to ready myself for Sunday's premiere!  Too bad the Netflix ones are edited, but I didn't think I'd have time to do the UK airing episodes as well.

9 hours ago, OnceSane said:

Too bad the Netflix ones are edited, but I didn't think I'd have time to do the UK airing episodes as well.

How are they edited?  Just curious. I never thought to watch on Netflix.

3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

How are they edited?  Just curious. I never thought to watch on Netflix.

They're shorter; some of the scenes are cut down or removed.  Same for the PBS broadcasts, they aren't the same length as the UK showings.  But the Christmas episodes on Netflix appear to be the full shows.

2 hours ago, OnceSane said:

They're shorter; some of the scenes are cut down or removed.  Same for the PBS broadcasts, they aren't the same length as the UK showings.  But the Christmas episodes on Netflix appear to be the full shows.

Are the Netflix and PBS episodes identical?  Also, would you get the full episodes on the DVD's?

2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Are the Netflix and PBS episodes identical?  Also, would you get the full episodes on the DVD's?

Nope, I think they edit them differently. Oh and the PBS Christmas specials aren't cut for time.  I believe the PBS DVDs are just what aired on PBS, but the BBC DVDs contain the full episodes.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

I thought they were edited because I remember Jane marrying that Reverand, but I haven't found an ep that showed her departure or said anything.

I don't remember that at all.  I remember them becoming pen pals once he moved to his new area, but Jane left after Season 3 and I don't recall any on-screen mention or scene about a wedding or anything about her departure (she was there and then just disappeared the following season).

9 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I don't remember that at all.  I remember them becoming pen pals once he moved to his new area, but Jane left after Season 3 and I don't recall any on-screen mention or scene about a wedding or anything about her departure (she was there and then just disappeared the following season).

See thats the thing, I thought I remembered something in the show that explained her exit.  If you look on some other sites, they say she married the good Reverand and went to Africa with him.  But I can't place an episode or an exact scene.....its so confusing.

8 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

See thats the thing, I thought I remembered something in the show that explained her exit.  If you look on some other sites, they say she married the good Reverand and went to Africa with him.  But I can't place an episode or an exact scene.....its so confusing.

Because I don't think it ever aired.  Even the actress who played Jane says her exit was left vague.  Maybe the real-life Jane married Applebee-Thornton?

News about Season 8

Spoiler

Miriam Margolyes will be guesting for the Christmas special and the first episode of Season 8.  Three new permanent cast members have been added: Fenella Woolgar as Sister Hilda, Ella Bruccoleri as Sister Frances, a postulant and Georgie Glenn as Miss Higgins, Dr. Turner's new receptionist. 

• Love 6

That's some great news!

Spoiler

Miriam Maergolyes is always a treat - but I'm especially glad to see that there's new blood for the convent. Now I just hope Sister Hilda and Sister Frances don't get the Sister Winifred treatment! I was about to drop the show  but now I may change my mind.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Badger said:

News about Season 8

Hide contents

Miriam Margolyes will be guesting for the Christmas special and the first episode of Season 8.  Three new permanent cast members have been added: Fenella Woolgar as Sister Hilda, Ella Bruccoleri as Sister Frances, a postulant and Georgie Glenn as Miss Higgins, Dr. Turner's new receptionist. 

How exciting! 

• Love 1

The press has always hated Camilla so much it long ago made me a fan.  Just looking at a story about Emerald Fennell playing her, it shows young beautiful Emerald's face next to an old one of Camilla, even though Camilla was quite pretty when young.

1 hour ago, LadyChaos said:

Any word on a the Christmas ep this year?

35 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

There will be a Christmas ep, in which they are introducing 3 new nuns.  Not sure when exactly it will air.

It airs on Christmas day on PBS.  9pm, I think, but check your local listings as they say!

• Love 2
On 1/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, OnceSane said:

Because I don't think it ever aired.  Even the actress who played Jane says her exit was left vague.  Maybe the real-life Jane married Applebee-Thornton?

I wondered what happened to her? It seems it wasn't her choice to leave as it was others?  I liked her and thought it would be nice to see her with the Reverend or have her come back. She was also anxious like Sister Cynthia but in a different way.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 5:03 AM, debraran said:

I wondered what happened to her? It seems it wasn't her choice to leave as it was others?  I liked her and thought it would be nice to see her with the Reverend or have her come back. She was also anxious like Sister Cynthia but in a different way.

In the books, it's confirmed that Jane did marry the reverend Applebee Thornton and they were missionaries in Africa. I can't recommend the books highly enough! They are wonderful. I was sad for days when I finished them because I wanted more☺

• Love 3
4 hours ago, lovesnark said:

In the books, it's confirmed that Jane did marry the reverend Applebee Thornton and they were missionaries in Africa. I can't recommend the books highly enough! They are wonderful. I was sad for days when I finished them because I wanted more☺

I wonder why they didn't even have a voice-over about that at the end of the show if she wasn't coming back? Would have been nice to at least get a Xmas card or something explaining her absence and then she can return if the time and desire was there.

My DIL said to get the books also so I will with an open mind they are one thing, the show another. I love period historical books and know I will enjoy them.

• Love 1

They were really funny together.

Don't forget to check/set your DVRs and reminders for the Christmas special on Wednesday, December 25, 9 PM EST in the US. Until last year, my DVR wouldn't recognize it as a part of the show and I had to set the special separately and I wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else has this problem.

Edited by Popples
Added the trailer for the Holiday special
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Don't forget to check/set your DVRs and reminders for the Christmas special on Wednesday, December 25, 9 PM EST in the US. Until last year, my DVR wouldn't recognize it as a part of the show and I had to set the special separately and I wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else has this problem.

Thanks for the reminder.  We'll be away over Christmas,  and I would NOT want to miss it!!!!

• Love 2