Type keyword(s) to search

Call The Midwife In The Media

• Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, GaT said:

It's killing me seeing all the "unaired US" episodes listed, why isn't it April yet?

I've been reading the comments anyway..... Why cant I buy them before it airs on TV like I could Downton Abby?

(edited)

News about Ben Caplan (who plays Peter Noakes) here.  I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but I'm tagging it just in case.

Spoiler

Apparently, he's taking a break and won't be returning for series 7. He does say something about expecting he and Miranda Hart will be able to "make an appearance" in the future, but to me that doesn't really sound definite, and it sounds more like they might return for guest appearances and not as regulars. For series 7, at least, though, it looks like neither of them will be on the show. I think it's probably best if they write them out somehow, like mentioning they've moved to another town or something, which will leave the door open for them to move back or visit in the future but will also give enough closure in case they don't return at all.

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 2

I won't miss Delia, but I'll definitely miss Patsy & Sister Mary Cynthia. They seem to be losing a lot of people, & I can't see them replacing the entire cast & surviving. I hope this isn't the show ending.

• Love 1

Who is nurse/new midwife lucille (I think that was the name). I looked up Leonie Elliot's imdb, and she doesn't have a CtM pat episode listed. I thought maybe she was the nice nurse when Shielegh was in the hospital, but I cant recall which ep that was, and didn't see a Lucille listed. (Maybe she's in a cut scene-hahaha). 

I'll miss Patsy, Delia, Mrs. Busby (I assume she won't come back), and Sister MC. Dang.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I won't miss Delia, but I'll definitely miss Patsy & Sister Mary Cynthia. They seem to be losing a lot of people, & I can't see them replacing the entire cast & surviving. I hope this isn't the show ending.

It's been picked up for three more seasons.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, craziness said:

Who is nurse/new midwife lucille (I think that was the name). I looked up Leonie Elliot's imdb, and she doesn't have a CtM pat episode listed. I thought maybe she was the nice nurse when Shielegh was in the hospital, but I cant recall which ep that was, and didn't see a Lucille listed. (Maybe she's in a cut scene-hahaha). 

She hasn't appeared yet. The character won't be introduced until S7, or rather, the next Christmas special, which is currently filming. CtM announced that this past week on their Facebook page. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, caitmcg said:

She hasn't appeared yet. The character won't be introduced until S7, or rather, the next Christmas special, which is currently filming. CtM announced that this past week on their Facebook page. 

Oh, thanks.  The article said that we had been introduced to her, so thought that meant she had been on the show.  Well, off to check the Facebook page.

I just realized that the 3 actresses that didn't get to go to South Africa are the 3 leaving. And Patsy and Sister MC basically left the show already. I wonder if there was bad blood because of the trip. I'm sure we'll never know, but I hope there's a good mention about the characters,  and nOT something horrible like, "too bad P&D got tossed in jail for being gay". Maybe something nice like "I hope P&D like their new life in Paris."

Edited by craziness
  • Love 1

It's funny, but every time someone leaves I think I will miss them a lot,  but the new characters always  seem to step up and fill the void.  I find myself still interested and not sitting there thinking "Gee, I wish so-and-so was still here."  Maybe it's the format of the show with different patients every week.

That being said I do hope they tie up the Patsy-Delia storyline.  I found the Sister Mary Cynthia saga too long and drawn out.  Having read all of Jennifer Worth's books I know the real-life Cynthia did suffer from depression, and I know that there is no "quick fix" for anyone who suffers from it, but I can't say I will miss that character.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, craziness said:

I just realized that the 3 actresses that didn't get to go to South Africa are the 3 leaving. And Patsy and Sister MC basically left the show already. I wonder if there was bad blood because of the trip.

I doubt there is bad blood.  Helen George (Trixie) took a few episodes off to do another project, I think SCD, with no bad blood.  And Mirand Hart (Chummy) seems to still have a good relationship with the show despite overbooking and not being able to do season 6.  I think the actresses mentioned are just ready to move on.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, OnceSane said:

I doubt there is bad blood.  Helen George (Trixie) took a few episodes off to do another project, I think SCD, with no bad blood.  And Mirand Hart (Chummy) seems to still have a good relationship with the show despite overbooking and not being able to do season 6.  I think the actresses mentioned are just ready to move on.

I agree. Also, I think it is much more common in the UK for shows to 1) have fewer episodes and/or seasons, and 2) for actors to expect to move on to other projects. It certainly gives them broader work experience and possibly minimizes type casting.

CMT will have had an exceptionally long run by current standards.

• Love 1

I agree with the others who aren't broken up about the three actors leaving.  I liked Patsy-Delia and what they brought to the show, but Sister Mary Cynthia was getting painful for me to watch. I started fast forwarding through her scenes. 

I am delighted by the new nurse Lucille.  I felt the show was lacking in the perspective of a nurse of color.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

Aww!  I'm a dick, though, because  I hope this doesn't mean limited Trixie for the Christmas episode or next season.

I don't know if they've finished filming for the next season, or when they did film.  However, in the picture, she looks quite pregnant.  The good news is that costuming and well-placed props can go a long way when needed to conceal a pregnancy!

But I agree with you, this show just isn't the same without Trixie.

ETA: I tried to include a link to the post, but it wasn't working.  But, if you check out the CtM page on FB, it's the most recent post.

Edited by Morksmate
On 4/16/2017 at 11:59 AM, dcalley said:

My previous sources of info on scenes cut for the US broadcast* are failing me. Please post if you find anyone detailing the cut scenes!

*http://www.afterellen.com/tag/call-the-midwife & https://celtic-dragon.me/tag/call-the-midwife/

Wait! What?  scenes are cut out for the U.S. airing????? Why?

On 10/3/2017 at 4:49 PM, OnceSane said:

Helen had her baby and it's a girl!

Congrats to Helen and Jack!  Their daughter was born six weeks early and I think CtM was done filming before she started showing too much.

Congrats to them!!! They probably just finished filming within a day or two.

From the recent post with Barbara and the good Reverant...people are speculating that Barbara may be pregnant but end of s7.  Which will be interesting since it would seem by her push to go to the family planning that this would not be what she wants, yet.

Edited by LadyChaos

Here in the Washington DC area, they are showing the 2015 Christmas special this week (right now in fact!!!!) and the 2016 Christmas special next week.  I hope this means they will show the 2017 Christmas special on Christmas night, but I haven't heard for certain.  Has anyone else?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, craziness said:

Here in the Washington DC area, they are showing the 2015 Christmas special this week (right now in fact!!!!) and the 2016 Christmas special next week.  I hope this means they will show the 2017 Christmas special on Christmas night, but I haven't heard for certain.  Has anyone else?

In our area, and I'm assuming other PBS stations, they are airing this year's special on Christmas night.

1 hour ago, craziness said:

It airs Christmas night at 9 here.

Edited because my guide only goes out exactly two weeks, so the 9pm slot wasn't showing when I first posted. Showing here in the SF Bay Area at 9 Christmas Night on the main PBS station. 

Thanks for the heads up (although my DVR was set to remind me anyway). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
On 12/11/2017 at 9:58 PM, craziness said:

I'm happy I looked early and set them all to record; loved the 2015 special so much! 

Although, for some reason my DVR never recognizes the Christmas Specials as a part of the show and I have to set it separately even though the show is set for a season pass. Just putting that out there as a warning in case anyone else is dealing with the same issue.

• Love 1