Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E22: Dead From New York

WendyCR72

Loved Martha working on her line:  "Is he dead?"  "Is he dead!"  "Is he dead?"  Who knew there could be so many variations in delivering a 3-word question.

What's the sentence they usually use to illustrate this point? I think it's "I never said he killed her". Depending on what word you emphasize the meaning of the sentence changes.

I never said he killed her. (It wasn't me that said those words.)

I never said he killed her. (Those words never left my lips.)

I never said he killed her. (I never outright said that [but I might have implied it].)

I never said he killed her. (It wasn't him that killed her.)

I never said he killed her. (He wasn't the one to end her life [but he may have done other things]).

I never said he killed her. (It wasn't her that he killed.)

But my favorite part of Martha's interpretations was when she started singing.

How many married couples do you know who kiss on the cheek?

I'm not married, but all I can think is, why wouldn't I kiss my husband on the cheek?

• Love 3

If there were any in jokes in regards to SNL, please forgive as I've never seen it so the reference points of that were pretty much useless to me.

Rick and Martha - always loved their scenes. Instead of trying to utilise Molly, more Susan please.

Fake Tory. At first I thought she had a cold, her voice was really weird but no it's some random person who's even worse at acting that Maya. Didn't think it was possible. Even weirder due to the fact Ryan seemed to do the Tech bit earlier in the episode.

Kissing on the cheek - it's cute the first couple of times but nearly every episode they kiss each other on the cheek.

The amount of exposition in this episode was ridiculous, the reason why I liked PI Castle is that it changed things up from the usual standing in from the murder board COTW.

Yeah, this show is really bad at that. I don't know why they think the audience is so clueless. I also remember an episode last season where Castle referred to "Alexis's boyfriend Pi" when he was talking to either Beckett or Martha. As if they wouldn't have known his name. But this is ABC, and ABC ruined Alias by forcing the producers to make that show less complicated.

I didn't think you could dumb down a show like Castle but apparently you can! And speaking of when ABC dumbed down Alias, the amazing spoof with Columbo was funny but showed their intentions quite clearly. Distubingly, I understand every word of that clip.

Only thing for me was at the end the look between Beckett/Espo when they were toasting in the precinct. Not sure if it was the editing in the scene or what but it did bring up a bit of a WTF for me in that moment (but that could be my cold-ridden mind).

I noticed that edit, I was focussed on what Castle reacted to rather that what Espo was saying, had to rewind.

(edited)
I'm sure I've seen married couples kiss on the cheek before, especially when they are in public. I actually really like some of their more chaste moments, I think they show more closeness/sweetness between the two of them. Passionate moments are great too, but they can't happen in every scene.

I'm greedy I'd like passionate moments to happen all the time, this is TV after all they could do it if they wanted to but chaste it most certainly is with MilMar at the helm. They weren't in public this time unless we're counting Martha and although I don't mind the kisses on the cheek too much but since this is meant to be an "epic" love story according to Marlowe I'd prefer it if they acted like it was and kissed on the lips especially when they're saying goodbye to each other at home. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm greedy I'd like passionate moments to happen all the time, this is TV after all they could do it if they wanted to but chaste it most certainly is with MilMar at the helm. They weren't in public this time unless we're counting Martha and although I don't mind the kisses on the cheek too much but since this is meant to be an "epic" love story according to Marlowe I'd prefer it if they acted like it was and kissed on the lips especially when they're saying goodbye to each other at home. 

Well, I'm greedy and would like more passionate moments too.  But I also don't have a problem with the pecks on the cheeks either.  I don't think it's a bad sign about their marriage or anything like that. Or that it's about the actors....I think it's a producer decision to keep things g-rated.

I'm not married, but I don't think I'd want to kiss passionately in front of my mother/mother-in-law.

I didn't think you could dumb down a show like Castle but apparently you can! And speaking of when ABC dumbed down Alias, the amazing spoof with Columbo was funny but showed their intentions quite clearly. Distubingly, I understand every word of that clip.

Sigh, I miss Alias.  I understand every word too.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

Well, I'm greedy and would like more passionate moments too.  But I also don't have a problem with the pecks on the cheeks either.  I don't think it's a bad sign about their marriage or anything like that. Or that it's about the actors....I think it's a producer decision to keep things g-rated.

Oh I don't think there's anything wrong with their marriage even if I could do with a bit more heat on display at certain moments, they seem in a really happy place right now lets hope it stays that way.

• Love 1

....I think it's a producer decision to keep things g-rated.

Really? The show airs at 10pm here in Canada. Is it on before the kiddies' bedtime in the States?

No, it airs the same time here.

It airs at 10 pm, but it feels like it could air earlier. Maybe it's so it works in syndication?

But there's definitely a lack of "mature" content, and it seems like that must be by design.

It airs at 10 pm, but it feels like it could air earlier. Maybe it's so it works in syndication?

But there's definitely a lack of "mature" content, and it seems like that must be by design.

Definitely by producer/creator design and not actor preference, IMO. There have been just enough scenes and comments where it's not a chaste kiss for me to think that it's all production related. (See: the end of Always, the end of Murder, He Wrote, mid-Clear and Present Danger, Nathan's comment at ComicCon about getting to make out with Stana for work, for some.)

I did think it odd that a cop would go, "Well, we may be chasing a murderer but we can take a break to dance!"... but then, I guess I shouldn't expect realism on TV.

Was really disappointed that Rick didn't get into a scuffle/minor car accident at some point so we'd get some variation of:

Beckett: Martha, Rick's had an accident!

Martha: Is he dead!?

Beckett: He's barely scratched!

...It seemed like there should be some pay off for the repeated line. Though I did like the Martha plot overall - everything doesn't need to be life and death (ironically enough).