Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E17: Nesting and Room Re-Do

What TLC and the Duggars learned from that is exploiting Josie is sure fire ratings boost.

Going by memory, but isn't that higher, or around what the weddings performed?

They should air catgate - it'll get an extra 2 years on TV. Gungate? 5 more years!

• Love 2

I haven't seen the episode (downside of overseas move!) but what you all say is appalling. There is epilepsy in my family, so I've experienced quite a bit of it. It does sound like this is a fairly common occurrence for Josie (and as pointed out, epilepsy means two unexplained seizures in a lifetime. It's that basic of a disgnosis). So I'm guessing Jana panicked due to the length, which is excessive (anything over five minutes is a grave concern).

But she did panic. And her care of Josie, from the description was horrible to read, especially in light of her training both as a first responder and as a doula which should have helped her be calm under pressure if nothing else. She is not the right person to be caring for a child with that kind of an ongoing issue if she can't handle it, and it seems she can't. Josie isn't her child.

And I also want to add that Marsha Jackson is an excellent midwife. No toilet births to see here, folks! I'm so relieved to know Anna will be seeing her for the next birth!

I actually have to disagree about panicking. No matter how much training you've had you can still panic. Text book and real life is very different. The first time I had to call the squad for one of my patients I was s hot mess. Plus who is to say she had been the "sole responder" for Josie's seizures previously?

• Love 3

And I also want to add that Marsha Jackson is an excellent midwife. No toilet births to see here, folks! I'm so relieved to know Anna will be seeing her for the next birth!

I almost forgot to add... there will also be no water births. Unless something has changed these midwives don't do water birth. You can labor in the tub but they want you out for the delivery.

I haven't seen the episode (downside of overseas move!) but what you all say is appalling. There is epilepsy in my family, so I've experienced quite a bit of it. It does sound like this is a fairly common occurrence for Josie (and as pointed out, epilepsy means two unexplained seizures in a lifetime. It's that basic of a disgnosis). So I'm guessing Jana panicked due to the length, which is excessive (anything over five minutes is a grave concern).

But she did panic. And her care of Josie, from the description was horrible to read, especially in light of her training both as a first responder and as a doula which should have helped her be calm under pressure if nothing else. She is not the right person to be caring for a child with that kind of an ongoing issue if she can't handle it, and it seems she can't. Josie isn't her child.

GEML, the episodes are usually posted on Youtube within a day or two of airing, this way you can still keep up in Ireland. Here's this week's episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJxewI_b13w

• Love 1

I loved Jessa cooking that owners manual. Maybe she is just a bit air headed? I know lots of people that practice cooking and never get better. I think it gets down to if you like it or not. If you hate doing something like cooking. I guess it's little motivation to get much better at it. Also if you are horrible at something in a huuuuge family, or very slow at it. Maybe at home her sisters always stepped in and took over?

I enjoyed that, too.  That scene reminded me of my early attempts at cooking.  It seemed like something I would have done before I learned to slow the hell down and think about the process (with the help of the almighty Alton Brown's Good Eats).  I can envision Jessa as a teenager, relying on her good looks and IDGAF attitude to get her out of kitchen duties.  I don't think she ever had the slightest interest in cooking.  Her bossiness clearly lent itself better to the SDRT, yet another one of Michelle's responsibilities.  Funny how that keeps happening, huh?  With a bit of practice, I can see her being a fine cook for a household of a few people. 

• Love 2

I'm thankful jana was there. Things could have went worse for josie if mechelle was the one caring for her instead of jana. After all i can see mechelle just trying to pray it away instead of alerting someone to call the ambulance

• Love 2

I did feel bad for Jana. I think she likely froze up and panicked bc she's almost a mother to Josie when it came to what she learned as a first responder.

There's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said, but I will say that when Michelle was explaining the fever and glitch -- was it just me or did anyone else notice that it almost looked like Michelle was suppressing a smile?? I wanted to reach inside the screen and slap it off her face. I realize that some people smile or laugh when they're uncomfortable or nervous and I understand that, but somehow between the hollowness for what appeared to be a lack genuine motherly concern and the suppressed smile, my head was exploding. That, and then arriving the day after the seizure. Really? Wild horses couldn't keep me from my little girl!! I'd have rented a car or flown into a nearby city and driven home.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 4

I completely agree that there is something seriously wrong with J'chelle. I get it. She doesn't "have a heart" for children. Some people are like that, and it's good to know your own strengths and weaknesses.But, on what planet does that make her think she should go ahead and drop babies until her uterus explodes? There are other ways to prove that she is devout, and loves God. If she needs to collect and have the "most" of something, why not embroider Bible verses on pillows?

I kind of got the impression that this episode was a bit of a sales pitch for Jana. Aside from showing her as the hero of the Josie episode, she appeared to be all dolled up her her THs: her hair was curled and she was wearing some dangly earrings. Even the makeover of the girls' room could be a message to potential suitors: Look, the Duggar girls are all grown up! Shop early while we still have a good selection!

• Love 5

It's a thing that some birth centers (and even doctor's offices) do to ease "white coat syndrome."  When I was pregnant, I weighed myself but I didn't do my own blood pressure reading.

I had never heard of white coat syndrome until the other day when I started with a new doctor after 20 years with my old one. My first visit with the new doctor, my blood pressure was sky high, and I never, ever have had an abnormal BP. I told that to the doctor and that's when she mentioned "white coat syndrome" and had me take my BP at home for a few days, and sure enough, totally normal. So I could see it being a reason to let the patients do their own BPs (and/or they are cutting costs.)

I actually have to disagree about panicking. No matter how much training you've had you can still panic. Text book and real life is very different. The first time I had to call the squad for one of my patients I was s hot mess. Plus who is to say she had been the "sole responder" for Josie's seizures previously?

I'm pretty useless in an emergency situation. Jana may be cool when it comes to other people's babies, but loose it when it comes to one of her own kids.

• Love 1

I'm pretty useless in an emergency situation. Jana may be cool when it comes to other people's babies, but loose it when it comes to one of her own kids.

And I'm ridiculously calm - like freakishly calm, to the point that after the panic situation is over I am exhausted. I might feel like I need to sleep for the next week, but in that moment? I just get calm and focused - guess it's adrenaline? I think that makes it hard for me to understand, but at the same time, I've seen people completely lose it around me while I wasn't (and I don't blame them, I've often felt I should be losing it too!). I can imagine Jana having a hard time in either case - even if she's normally calm but people are freaking out around her, it's hard. I'm guessing it's probably even harder to stay calm if you're prone to panic in the first place. I'm not judging her - I think it's just got a lot to do with natural temperament. Also, it's probably really hard to stay calm and focused on your child with so many people around (and likely, yelling so many different sets of instructions - just guessing).

• Love 1

Ratings: 3.230 M viewers and a 1.2 rating.

What TLC and the Duggars learned from that is exploiting Josie is sure fire ratings boost.

That's fucked up how these parents exploit their children. I hope Josie resents them when she sees this

• Love 3

Slightly OT, but when I came home from work one night, my husband was unresponsive. I was calm on the phone call to 911, giving them all the info they needed. When I called his family that's when I lost it and started babbling and crying.

• Love 3

My husband said something funny as my daughter and i were watching this episode on demand.

Husband: "isn't that kid seven years old now?"

Us : "which one"?

Husband : "the one going to be born next Tuesday"?

He doesn't read here or know anthing much about them but even he was disgusted and said that's not a "glitch". He actually said to me, is everything ok with that woman? ( meaning Michelle's mentality. ) my God, that poor girl was sobbing over the young girl having a seizure. And can I add that i would be on the warpath with any one filming my daughter in such a state. To be fair to the crew, they have jumped in to help this family time and again

Unfortunately I dont think Michelle will ever live this down. Her response is so far off there is no longer denying something wrong with her.. If your young daughter has this kind of problem, she needs to be with her parents at all times. Wherever they go.

• Love 6

I did feel bad for Jana. I think she likely froze up and panicked bc she's almost a mother to Josie when it came to what she learned as a first responder.

This is why I don't agree with the people saying she should know how to react or asking where her training was - you can't always disassociate with a relative like you can with a stranger and it doesn't seem fair to complain that she couldn't stay calm or keep her emotions under control in the heat of the moment.  Josie is mostly her baby and with just Grandma to help her I think she did the best she could.

I might not explain this right because it's about how things sound verbally but the way Michelle and even Jim Bob describe things like Josie's seizure in the talking heads is just so............detached is maybe the word.  It's like the voice tone never changes, they could be talking about Jessa's wedding, Josie's issues or laundry day and they sound exactly the same.  It's like when J-Boy  fell through that stage; (can't remember name), if you watch the interview Michelle is like well there was a lot of blood but there's always a lot when you're dealing with a head injury but said totally flat with absolutely no inflection and JB says we didn't know if he had a neck injury "or what" in a way that I swear he could have said we didn't know whether to turn right or left or what and the emotion would have been the same.

I don't think they're totally uncaring but there's something wrong with how they express things and react especially when it comes to "bad" occurrences and especially Michelle.  Either she's in denial about Josie or she's kept it sweet for so long (or both) that she can't get out of that smiling baby talk mode at all.

• Love 8

That's fucked up how these parents exploit their children. I hope Josie resents them when she sees this

Agree. As a minor, Josie should be under the protection of her parents, since minors lack capacity. There is no way that part of the episode should have been televised.

• Love 8

Agree. As a minor, Josie should be under the protection of her parents, since minors lack capacity. There is no way that part of the episode should have been televised.

But the ratings! Think of the ratings.

And, on the girls room, I'm glad they decided to change it up. Jana seemed really happy to paint the horse over.

• Love 1

I feel that way about so many of the parents on other TLC shows. And then it bothers me when the children are slammed for being brats. I don't know, but if my parents had pimped out my childhood on television, I'd be screwed up, too. 

• Love 3

I might not explain this right because it's about how things sound verbally but the way Michelle and even Jim Bob describe things like Josie's seizure in the talking heads is just so............detached is maybe the word.  It's like the voice tone never changes, they could be talking about Jessa's wedding, Josie's issues or laundry day and they sound exactly the same.

Even before I type this, I know it really belongs in the other thread about what they do that gets on your nerves... but it's on topic here too so I'm leaving it.  This.  THIS is the thing that drives me UP A WALL!!!!!    GRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!   The whole thing.  I feel opposite of most people - I'm ok with them leaving these scenes in.   Really, even though we snark on them all the time, at some level we also care about them (at least the children) and want to know they're ok.  I'm glad they left it because we know Josie was ultimately ok for the moment.  Plus it gives them a chance to show their vulnerable side instead of the robotic smiles and gazing lovingly at each other.

BUT.  Even though Michelle's TH was weeks (months?) later, she described it as if Josie had a little "mishap".  As in: oops.  I would be freaking out, and even months later wouldn't be able to speak of that incident without showing some concern.  A glitch.  I used that word in a conversation yesterday and my brain went BING!!!  You're exactly right SF86, it's detachment we're seeing and not "getting".  And some posters have said Josie needs to still be with her parents all the time.  (As if!)  She WAS with her parent.

• Love 2

GEML, the episodes are usually posted on Youtube within a day or two of airing, this way you can still keep up in Ireland. Here's this week's episode. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJxewI_b13w

Thanks for sharing the link. I told myself I wasn't going to look at any more episodes, but I just had to see this one.

I almost started crying for poor Jana. That's so sad, she must have been terrified....and yeah, it looks like that one EMT was pissed (yeah, I saw his look and the way he tossed his medic pack on the counter, he was livid)... and I don't blame him, I probably would have been pissed too if I was treating an emergent problem and there was a camera in my face, I would have told them to turn the f'n cameras off. I notice you don't see much after they walked in, so I'm guessing they did just that.

Thank goodness she wasn't actually in respiratory arrest, but if you are seizing for so long, you can have an anoxic injury...hence the CAT scan.

At least they did a CAT scan at the hospital. I'm curious as to why they didn't admit her and do a 24hr EEG? Any hospital I've ever worked at would do a continuous EEG for less than a 15 min. seizure, that's considered a status seizure, AFAIK, which is dangerous.

Me? I would have insisted on my child being admitted for observation at the very LEAST. That may not be febrile seizures, it may be another type. I'd want to make damn sure a seizure that long didn't happen again. Please tell me they at least got suppository meds to stop another seizure, should it happen again...

And f Michelle with something hard and sand papery, damn her. If that were me, I would be hysterical and thanking Jana 9 ways to Sunday and apologizing for causing her such trauma...mind, I know that you can't help leaving the kids now and again....I'll give her some benefit of the doubt....I'm being gracious here. I notice the kids' grandmother and aunt were there, so they get a pass for not being there, but the way she just brushed it off as a 'glitch'.

really???

REALLY?

I need to show it to my health care coworkers, ask them what they think. Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but this Michelle and Jim Bob is really on my shit list now. They don't EVEN know how lucky they are that the little one is ok....I've had to code little ones....and you NEVER FORGET the screams of a mother who's lost her baby. NEVER. EVER.

• Love 11

Mechelle can eat a bag of dicks....

And I've said it before that I hope and pray that the older kids wise up and just revolt against their "parents" and just leave. At 25 years old Jana needs to make a stand and tell her parents where they can go. Slavery was abolished with the 13th amendment back in 1865, why do these poor kids have to continue to live this way? It's as simple as telling Boob and Mechelle pay me what I'm owed or there will be a tell all book..... 

• Love 8

I am so glad Deanna and grandma were there.  At least Jana had other adults who could help her out in that situation and stay behind and run the household.  I wonder if this will put Jana off from getting married and having kids for even longer.  She must be SO worn out!  That girl needs a vacation and not one that involves a trip to D.C. to watch her brother's kids.  Ugh this family.

• Love 5

I get scared that she sets up these appointments with midwives, but in reality she is just going to do it without one. She'll claim the midwife was out of town, like with the other doctor, or she will just labor at home for sooo long on own and intentionally call the midwife too late. I do feel bad for her, that she has to keep moving and get new care for each kid. That must be hard. I move all the time too, it's no fun with medical issues, you have to re-explain all the time!

• Love 1

I think JB & M are just playing it down. Like when they added Josie's "& I'm all better now!" (Cue big smile) like it was no big deal.

IMO, Boob and Me-chelle sound detached in so many instances - because they are detached. Neither one of them, IMO, have a normal parental bond with their kids. Most of the kids, anyway. There may be a little bit more there with the six oldest kids - maybe. Many posters give Boob extra points for being the more-involved parent, and that's probably correct. But more involved than Me-chelle isn't saying a whole lot. For several years now, it's been my impression that Boob sees his children overall as financial commodities. Things to be traded, exploited, invested in, bought and eventually sold. When does he do fatherly things with them - camping trips etc? When they're being filmed. And when does he become emotional? When giving a daughter away. To Me-chelle, once she stops nursing, the children disappear for all intents and purposes. They're not her responsibility any longer and she is simply not involved, in any meaningful way, after that point. And as the seizure episode shows, all this is becoming painfully apparent - even to people who have never watched the show before, such as a few posters' husbands here. I think that point alone is significant. It's also becoming increasingly difficult for TLC to show Me-chelle as the same religious, homeschooling, tater tot-cooking, laundry soap-making SAHM that she started off - appearing as - 10 years ago.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Haven't seen this discussed.

Who called the film crew??? Jim Bob said they were out filming the other kids? To me it sounded like they were off the property and not home. Who calls a film crew? I understand that they are close to the film crew but there were other adults there to assist. Jim Bob implied that they were so close so they just swung over to help the kiddies out.  Jana and Grandma were there...plus EMS arrrived.  The boom guy doesn't know anything about seizures. 

I guess they called the film crew to actually film the seizure? 

That's sick. 

• Love 12

But from the clip it looks as if it was filming already and then the director comes in? Do they have permanent cameras up in the house as well as the film crew so they can get day to day footage that way?

I just watched this train wreck last night on YouTube.  

Haven't seen this mentioned, but when Michelle talked so calmly about Josie being prone to having febrile seizures, she said something that seemed very bizarre to me.  She said that Josie will be just fine, SUDDENLY spike a fever and get a seizure.  I have never heard of anyone getting sudden fevers unless they are ill.  Is this a "thing"?

They will never admit that Josie has ongoing issues due to the circumstances of her birth. If they want to continue to be delusional, that's their choice, but their choice is putting their child in danger.  That is reprehensible. 

• Love 12

I get scared that she sets up these appointments with midwives, but in reality she is just going to do it without one. She'll claim the midwife was out of town, like with the other doctor, or she will just labor at home for sooo long on own and intentionally call the midwife too late. I do feel bad for her, that she has to keep moving and get new care for each kid. That must be hard. I move all the time too, it's no fun with medical issues, you have to re-explain all the time!

Well she can't pull the 'midwife was out of town' card. This practice has several midwives and there is always one on call for labor. So if she calls, there will be a midwife. Obviously no one can force someone to call their midwife or their doctor when they go into labor even those planning a hospital birth but I'm hoping since she has chosen well-known and experienced CNMs she isn't doing it just for show. On the plus side, even if she does intend to pull a fast one and have an unattended birth, she is still getting excellent pre-natal care which is very important.

• Love 2

I think she probably wanted this level of care in earlier pregnancies but was so under the Duggar thumb she didn't stand up for herself. Now she's had this time in DC alone and is more clearly herself or her new self again she's happier to make a personal stand & invest in better care - and possibly they now have better insurance thanks to Josh's job? Even in retrospect she seems a bit traumatised by Michael's birth

• Love 3

If they REALLY were in Chicago (they were actually in Alaska doing a speaking engagement), JD could have quickly filed a flight plan and picked them up. As it was, he could have more easily flown into Alaska because is ISN'T Chicago, or wherever they claimed they were. Not as busy. I forgot to check the plane records when all this went down in real time; it's possible JD DID pick them up, but not until the next day. IIRC, the seizure happened on a Friday. 

wait a minute.  I watch this show only intermittently (rarely actually) so I'm not up to speed.  Are you saying John David has a pilot's license??? If so, that is very cool.  

• Love 1

I just watched this train wreck last night on YouTube.  

Haven't seen this mentioned, but when Michelle talked so calmly about Josie being prone to having febrile seizures, she said something that seemed very bizarre to me.  She said that Josie will be just fine, SUDDENLY spike a fever and get a seizure.  I have never heard of anyone getting sudden fevers unless they are ill.  Is this a "thing"?

They will never admit that Josie has ongoing issues due to the circumstances of her birth. If they want to continue to be delusional, that's their choice, but their choice is putting their child in danger.  That is reprehensible. 

Yes this is a thing with kids. Not that they get a fever without being sick but that it comes out of nowhere. My oldest used to get that with strep. She would look and feel fine. Not even a sore throat. Then literally 15 minutes later she would have a fever of 104+ and be throwing up from the sudden fever. 

But in this case I never heard anyone say she was burning up or warm etc. The paramedic said she was barely breathing and starting to come around but he was holding her and didn't say anything about a fever. Usually with a fever high enough to cause febrile seizures the child will feel warm to the touch.

• Love 3

One of the paramedics confirmed that Josie had a fever. It was said when they were bringing Josie out to the ambulance. Did anyone else hear that part? Jana didn't mention Josie being hot, but it's possible that she didn't notice because she was so stressed out.

Haven't seen this discussed.

Who called the film crew??? Jim Bob said they were out filming the other kids? To me it sounded like they were off the property and not home. Who calls a film crew? I understand that they are close to the film crew but there were other adults there to assist. Jim Bob implied that they were so close so they just swung over to help the kiddies out.  Jana and Grandma were there...plus EMS arrrived.  The boom guy doesn't know anything about seizures.

I guess they called the film crew to actually film the seizure?

That's sick.

They said Scott (I think he's one of the producers?) was a few blocks away filming with some of the children. I assume there was a film crew inside the home filming scenes as well.

Edited by trimthatfat

I'm going to rewatch later.  I have it on DVR. If they were filming in the home, why did we only get that horrible shot of Josie on the counter? It was like they started filming about 10 minutes into the seizure...We would've gotten the screams and the crazy panic in the house when there is a serious problem.  We just got a cut in shot of a half naked child on a counter with Jana freaking out. 

I think they actually called the film crew, they rushed over and this is the footage they got. Plus the hospital shots. And Jim Bob and Mechelle arriving. They spliced it all together for some "exciting drama" to encourage other families (and up the ratings). 

Gross. 

• Love 1

I completely agree that there is something seriously wrong with J'chelle. I get it. She doesn't "have a heart" for children. Some people are like that, and it's good to know your own strengths and weaknesses.But, on what planet does that make her think she should go ahead and drop babies until her uterus explodes? There are other ways to prove that she is devout, and loves God. If she needs to collect and have the "most" of something, why not embroider Bible verses on pillows?

I think perhaps in her (twisted) mind, having a passel of children because the Bible says children are a blessing even though she clearly does not care for them makes her more devout--you know, a martyr for the cause.

• Love 4

One of the paramedics confirmed that Josie had a fever. It was said when they were bringing Josie out to the ambulance. Did anyone else hear that part? Jana didn't mention Josie being hot, but it's possible that she didn't notice because she was so stressed out.

They said Scott (I think he's one of the producers?) was a few blocks away filming with some of the children. I assume there was a film crew inside the home filming scenes as well.

Thanks - I didn't hear that part. I assume Jana didn't mention it because she was stressed and we don't necessarily know everything that was told to the paramedics when they arrrived, but I hadn't heard the paramedic say she had a fever. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not. At some point Josie will get to the age where she should grow out of having febrile seizures. If this is indeed epilepsy and not febrile seizures, I just hope there isn't damage done in the meantime while they insist it is just a 'glitch'. 

I am not going to make any judgments on the film crew being present. We don't know their filming schedule or what was going on that day so I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that they called the film crew just to film the seizure. I do wish it had been edited more to show less of Josie but reality TV is an exploitative business so I'm not surprised that they didn't.

I believe Jana said that it was James that spotted Josie having a seizure. I'd have to watch it again but I think he saw first. So Josie was playing in the house and probably her seizure wasn't immediately noticed, despite Grandma and Aunt Deanna being there as well if James "walked in" and saw her. The film crew was outside filming some of the other kids and the producer was there, which is why he rushed inside (Scott). 

I imagine that filming for this weekly show takes up quite a bit of time, probably 30 or more hours  per week for the family that lives in the main house. It's like a full time job for those kids.

Probably the Querys or the Hartonos.

I thought it was more likely contracted out by TLC so they could make an episode out of it. The tone of the voiceover was very odd, which is another reason why I think it wasn't quite truthful.

Ok I had to watch again and I have a few comments

Kinzys fave when her brother (forgot his name) said 10 boys and one girl was priceless

I'm not sure what white coat syndrome is can someone explain?

I really liked how the nurse and midwife included the kids, when I had my youngest son I was pretty much alone, my oldest son who was 4 at the time had to go to the hospital with me (my mom was going to watch him there) the doctors and nurses gave hunter a mask and c section uniform to wear, they let him help take my BP and draw blood, they also allowed him to help put the iv in me. Hunter loved that. (Poor boy fell asleep in the couch and woke up while I was in the middle of having the youngest boy) it makes a kid feel special and that he/she is helping mommy

Jill is absolute glowing in this episode, I don't think she is attractive but pregnancy looks good on her

Who needs lessons on putting a child in a car seat? Seriously I was 16 when I had hunter and I knew how to buckle him in. *rolls eyes*

Despite the ages I think jessa and Ben are good together and they look happy

Michelle made me so mad if that was my child I would have walked home if I had to. Hell or high water couldn't keep me from my baby

I think the girls room turned out pretty I just wish they could experience having their own rooms

Jana poor jana I feel so bad for her she is such a pretty young adult with so many talents I wish better for her

I'm not a leg humper hut I do like the duggars (not all of them) from josh down to josie they can't help the family they was born into and they can't help how they was raised. That being said I think they are making the best if a situation. I can't fault any of them. It's hard to break away from how you was raised and for someone that has been mentally beaten up their whole life it would be even harder to change. I think they are on their way to being different from jchelle, their skirts are getting shorter, their clothing sale has changed, I've seen jessa showing shoulder (nike!!) I think over the next few years we will see more and more of a change

Sorry for the long rant

• Love 1

I am wondering if Jana was trying to cool Josie down with cold water/ice by laying her on the counter near the sink.  

I had the thought that the surface of the counter might be for cooling off purposes.  Also why she was lying there in her panties with her dress pulled up before the paramedics got there.

I assumed the sink was for vomit-catching purposes.  On the preview clip or whatever that was I watched, I thought I heard one of the paramedics comment that there was vomit in her mouth.

IF there was other crew in the house at the time, it could be that it was a crew member who called the producer rather than the family.  And then when they realized they were going to use the footage of the producer running in, they had to explain that "he was a couple of blocks away" or whatever it was because they realized that viewers would wonder why the film crew was able to arrive before the paramedics.  Or it could be that since JB & Michelle were out of town, they called the crew to come help them not knowing which adults would be staying at the house vs. going to the hospital.  I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, here, because the thought that anyone in the family might have called the production crew to exploit a medical emergency for ratings purposes is really creeping me out.

At any rate, I understand how normal modesty rules fly out the window in emergency situations, so it doesn't bother me that the crew happened to have seen the child in her unders, but it does bother me that they *aired* it like that, especially if the crew was there just so they could film it.  They didn't have to shove the camera in the seizing child's face; they could have just filmed the reactions of the adults or had a cheesy reenactment later (Josie saying, "Jana put me on the counter here until the ambulance came!").  Even if you blur it out, it still means that all the producers and the cameramen and the sound guys and the editors and the technical people who do the blurring saw the child lying there mostly naked without any blurring.  Same for all the birthing footage.  I know a few people who have had toilet births (yes, even in the hospital--you need to go to the toilet and once you get there, you realize things are too far along for you to make it back to the bed), but none of them invited a "Jim the sound guy" kind of non-relative to be in there with them gawking at the whole thing.  Every time you see something blurred out on the show, remember that lots of adult males saw what happened in the moment or the saw the raw footage before the show aired.  We've gone from filming the door closing on the camera as the family goes into a doctor's office and holding up a sheet to keep Michelle's own children from seeing her tummy to now where they let the film crew see whatever (including vulvas during births) and they just blur it later, or we see Michelle standing there giggling about "now, remember you can air the baby skin, but not the mama skin!" instead of simply telling the film crew that it's time for skin-to-skin time with the baby and they need to step out.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what white coat syndrome is can someone explain?

It means that your blood pressure becomes elevated in the presence of the doctor or other medical personnel, thus the "white coat", and gives an inaccurate blood pressure reading.

Also, your BP can be raised by rushing to get to the appointment or stress from traffic, or merely climbing a few flights of stairs in lieu of taking the elevator.

• Love 3

I rewatched.  Jim Bob said they were filming the other kids and they called the film crew to rush home and help. It certainly sounded like there was no crew in the house and they were asked to come back home.  That would fit with why they started filming mid seizure. 

I'm sure the film crew are close with the family but Deanna, Jana and Grandma were there. Not sure what the producer is gonna do... I really think someone (probably a younger boy) called the film crew. Maybe that's all they know.  Drama=call film crew. 

• Love 2

There's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said, but I will say that when Michelle was explaining the fever and glitch -- was it just me or did anyone else notice that it almost looked like Michelle was suppressing a smile?? I wanted to reach inside the screen and slap it off her face. I realize that some people smile or laugh when they're uncomfortable or nervous and I understand that, but somehow between the hollowness for what appeared to be a lack genuine motherly concern and the suppressed smile, my head was exploding. That, and then arriving the day after the seizure. Really? Wild horses couldn't keep me from my little girl!! I'd have rented a car or flown into a nearby city and driven home.

Yes! I saw that barely suppressed smile too. It was NOT how a normal mother would have reacted to such a terrifying event. More like a high school girl who just scored some really good gossip and can't wait to share it with the other kids -- knowing that doing so will focus all the attention on HER. 

• Love 7

I think perhaps in her (twisted) mind, having a passel of children because the Bible says children are a blessing even though she clearly does not care for them makes her more devout--you know, a martyr for the cause.

How twisted would that be.

Sometimes I almost get a Munchausen by proxy vibe, like when she was talking about the seizure in such a detached way, yet seeming to enjoy the focus on her. 

• Love 11