Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E17: Nesting and Room Re-Do

Nice to see JB and Michelle were in Chicago when Josie had her seizure and left it all to Jana and the sisters to deal. Josie comes home that night and Mama and Daddy can't possibly get a flight home from Chicago until the next day? Not even one of them?? I realize flights are flying pretty crowded right now, but I wonder if they even tried or if they said -- we'll pray -- Jana -- go ahead and make the medical decisions and freak out in the hospital by yourself or with your other sisters; it's not like you guys could possibly need emotional or parental support right now . . . .

• Love 15

I applaud the Duggar girls for making over their room, I mean if you have to share it, might as well do it in style. Isnt it sad the Michelle's friend had to come help decorate, shows Michelles taste... Also, I am beyond glad that Jill went to a furniture store and bought new things for her baby. I mean she lives in a gorgeous house, why fill it up with ugly, used stuff? Watching Josie have a seizure was heartbreaking, I am surprised they showed it. I thought they would have just showed her after it, but the worse was listening to Michelle talk about it in her baby voice, I died inside. 

• Love 7

Regarding flights, I used to be a flight attendant for United out of O'Hare and flights into the smaller regional airports were always oversold. There's usually not as many flights going into a city like Fayetteville as there would be to places like NYC and L.A. I hate to defend Boob and Michelle but they may have legitimately not been able to get a plane til the following day.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

This episode felt like a dozen different topics crammed into one. Redecorate the remaining girls' room! Josie has a seizure! Visit Anna and Josh! Josh and Anna go to the midwife! Jill picks out baby furniture! Jessa makes food!

Really weird.

I really felt for Jana during Josie's seizure. That had to be so traumatic for her--can you imagine the guilt she would have been left with if Josie died or was seriously injured from the seizure? Boob an Meechelle would have never forgiven her even though she should not have to be responsible for the health and well being of her siblings.

• Love 12

Regarding flights, I used to be a flight attendant for United out of O'Hare and flights into the smaller regional airports were always oversold. There's usually not as many flights going into a city like Fayetteville as there would be to places like NYC and L.A. I hate to defend Boob and Michelle but they may have legitimately not been able to get a plane til the following day.

True, but there are flights to Springfield, Mo and Branson which are about 2.5 hours away from Tonitown. Not ideal, but they cldve rented a car and driven down. (I live in Spfld and it's not a bad drive)

I'll admit that I cried watching this. As a mother, I can't imagine airing this footage of my daughter. To each their own I guess. As an epileptic, I felt embarrassed. But maybe that's just another "glitch"

Edited by ms.o
  • Love 8

I got annoyed when someone said something about getting rid of the little girls stuff, don't those idiots realize that there are still more little girls than big girls sharing that room. I guess there is a reason why they are called the lost girls. At least, I hope that the littles will finally get a bed for themselves.

• Love 3

Josie seizure is a "glitch" when she has a fever?  I couldn't believe that her MOTHER would refer to her littlest's medical emergency in this way.  What is wrong with the woman?  I have been reading about her disconnect with her children but to me it was never as clear as it was tonight.  AND it was telling that Josie said that she was happy that her daddy was back.  Did both parents even tell Jana that they were happy/glad/proud for the way she handled the situation???

• Love 17

Jana is amazing - the family is lucky to have her. The older kids really support each other and came together to help with Josie.  Jessa was really motherly to Josie when she exited the SUV.  This episode showed they really don't need Jim Bob or Michelle.  

The seizure footage was heartbreaking and invasive. They did not need to make a storyline out of a medical emergency. The people.com clip from the episode published earlier showed Josie in her underwear and shirt - not blurred out like it was on tv. They won't show Michelle's knees, but they can show Josie in her underwear and then later shirtless? So hypocritical.  It was such a weirdly placed segment - didn't fit in even thematically. Just for ratings.

Michelle has physically and emotionally checked out of the family for years and it was shown in full force tonight. When Jim Bob and Michelle returned, I don't think that we saw Michelle greet Jana or hug her (I apologize if I missed a hug or even a wave). They should be thanking her hourly for taking such good care of their youngest. I would think they were grandparents checking in on their grandchild if I was unfamiliar with the show and only saw an episode. Lip service only goes so far. Each week I dislike Michelle more.

The room redo was nice. It looked like a good room to grow up in and not too juvenile for the older girls. Michelle was noticeably absent there as well. Her best friend was helping out, you would think she would view it as a fun bonding time. 

• Love 17

What astounds me is that Scott Enlow seemed more concerned about Josie than either Michelle or Jim Bob. How are they so blase about it? And if one of the Howlers can recognize she's having a seizure and get Jana just as Josie starts jerking (to use Jana's word), then it sounds like these seizures aren't uncommon.

It's about time the girls room was redone. Maybe they'll all get their own beds now. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

• Love 12

I agree with others that thought this episode was a bunch of patched together themes. Shopping for baby furniture (nesting), redecorating the girls room, Jessa cooking for her almost-live-version of a husband, and Josie's seizure. It all didn't fit somehow. I get the sense that Jana felt resentment that she was left to deal with all this by herself. I read that she's leaving the show to go to college. She's been the main 'sister-mom' to most of those kids. I know it would be against the family rules to attend any college other than a Christian Ministry college but I'd like to see Jana break tradition and go rogue and go to a normal college, with normal people her age, and study for a degree in a profession of her choosing.

Michelle is almost never around the house with her kids. There are a few scenes with her fixing eggs for breakfast but she's mostly out of the picture and the girls are doing all the work. I felt a lot of new animosity towards Michelle for being in Chicago when Josie had a seizure. The one who spotted Josie having the seizure first, the boy that I can't recall which it was, but apparently he recognized it as a seizure "Josie is having a seizure".  That's not something that most kids would immediately recognize and call it a 'seizure'. There was some mention of the hospital being able to control and lower her fever before she was released. Was it even mentioned that she had been ill with a high fever? I don't think so. If she was ill with a high fever, why was she downstairs in the kitchen and not in her bed? There's a lot of unanswered questions there that we'll never be told about. Follow the Lord Michelle and Jim Bob, follow the preacher in Chicago that fornicates, ignore the 'blessings' you've created in search of your own greater glory. I'm beginning to get bitter about this couple.

• Love 7

I got annoyed when someone said something about getting rid of the little girls stuff, don't those idiots realize that there are still more little girls than big girls sharing that room. I guess there is a reason why they are called the lost girls. At least, I hope that the littles will finally get a bed for themselves.

There is no reason they can't partition that room and give the older girls and younger girls separate spaces. I presume none of the older girls (I'm thinking Jana - who is a 25 year old grown ass woman and needs her own space, same goes for Jinger at what, 20-21? - down to Joy) have period cramps, migraines, or anything that would make them feel like garbage, and not want to share a room with a bunch of elementary school kids?

• Love 20

I felt bad that Jennifer lost her horse on the wall.  The room did need a makeover, and now it is decorated appropriately for Jinger and Joy, but what about Josie and all those little "J" girls? They lose out on having a kids room.  It just seems so dumb to have all those girls in one room.  And they didn't even rename Jessa's bed!

• Love 7

Hell, Boob has a ton of money, he could have hired a private plane.

If they REALLY were in Chicago (they were actually in Alaska doing a speaking engagement), JD could have quickly filed a flight plan and picked them up. As it was, he could have more easily flown into Alaska because is ISN'T Chicago, or wherever they claimed they were. Not as busy. I forgot to check the plane records when all this went down in real time; it's possible JD DID pick them up, but not until the next day. IIRC, the seizure happened on a Friday. 

• Love 4

I can understand Michelle and JB not coming home immediately after Josie's seizure, they had little to no control over that situation....but it is unforgivable to me to me that this little girl's seizure is on national TV for all to see, no matter how old she is, that is just so, so wrong...reminds me of the time Jon and Kate Gosselin (I hate that woman) allowed cameras to film their 3 boys on pottys outside...what kind of parent(s) allows that sort of invasion of their own child's privacy?? Parents should protecting their children from this sort of thing, not getting paid to allow it on TV....animals protect their young more than the Duggars do...what a shame...

Edited by sandyskyblue
  • Love 12

I'm surprised that Michelle's friend Cindy is so welcome in the house in JEANS (she'll be going to hell for sure, dont'cha know).  Strange that she and Jim Bob were having such flirtatious 'debates' about the re-do and Michelle wasn't there. 

I noticed tonight that the girls use the word "excited" very, very often, usually about things that don't seem all that exciting to me. Reminds me of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise back in the day when everything was "amazing".

The Duggar parents re: Josie's seizure, just shaking my head....

I understand having Josie on the counter waiting for the ambulance, but why was her poor little head hanging over the edge of the sink? Ease of vomit cleanup? (sorry). That seems like the farthest thing that would be on my mind.

• Love 7
They should be thanking her hourly for taking such good care of their youngest.

Bingo ! You took the words out of my mouth, Cock adoodle dont - They should be erecting a statue in Jana's honor or buying her an Escalade for saving Josie's LIFE. Instead we get no interaction whatsoever with JB and Michelle and Jana, and, as a bonus, we get JB and Michelle positively sauntering out of the car and up the walkway, with Michelle making eyes at the cameras and carefully adjusting her blouse and that God-awful, ugly freaking scarf. 

If that's your kid, you soulless twit, you run. RUN.

• Love 21

According to google maps, driving time from Chicago to Tonitown is 9 1/2 hours. If my child had a seizure and I couldn't get a flight home that night, I would have been in the car on the road as soon as possible.

• Love 15

I wonder why they are lying about their whereabouts? Being in Chicago actually makes them look WORSE than the actual truth. It was well-documented in real-time where JB and Mechelle were. Do they think people live in a vacuum and don't know these details? I'm sure both Pickles and FJ covered it extensively, and still archived for anyone to look up (I don't patronize either place). I got the same intel from another (private) source. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

I was so caught up in the Josie drama I forgot to mention JD'S two snarky moments when he mentioned Boob being stuck in the 90's and then when he basically told the cameraman he didn't give a rat's ass where they hanged the stupid mirror he just wanted to slap it on the wall somewhere and get it done. Maybe he's not such a wet blanket after all, lol. The kids looked really annoyed when Boob was holding up the decorating by fussing over stupid details.

• Love 12

Hell, Boob has a ton of money, he could have hired a private plane.

They own Dugger (sic) Aviation. CALL JD, assholes. :(

Ok, as a nurse I have to add, Jana mildly annoyed me. I hope this really was the first bad seizure, so she really didn't know what to do. You never restrain someone's movements- like Jana was doing with Josie's head. It sounded like she vomited a bit, so, keeping her supine wasn't such a good idea either. I have no idea why her head was over the sink. I'd have gone for the floor, with something soft under her head to prevent injury, and rolled on her side. Failing that, I'd have used the couch since she was so small.

Jana also said she hoped Josie didn't swallow her tongue. That's not possible. (Also, FYI never put anything in a seizing persons mouth.) SOTDRT anatomy at work.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 7

Jana looked traumatized. She also mentioned the responsibility. ..so sad. I cannot believe they showed that poor child on television in that state!

Why did they call the Director first? Just panicking? And MEchelle...you selfish selfish twat . Just STFU.You weren't there, you don't know, and now everyone knows how unfortunate "glitches" allow selfish old hags like you to get knocked up.

I am beyond disgusted.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 14

I can't be mad at Jana for how she responded. She's not a doctor or a nurse and she's not even a parent. Josie is lucky to have had her. 

This episode was so boring and then the ending had me tearing up. Jana needs a vacation.

• Love 24

I can't be mad at Jana for how she responded. She's not a doctor or a nurse and she's not even a parent. Josie is lucky to have had her. 

I should point out I'm not mad, it's just one of those SMH things - like when they feed their 18th or 19th kid lying flat on their back with a wooden spoon. People with no idea how anything works.

And yes, this is all totally Michelle's responsibility...

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5

This episode was so boring and then the ending had me tearing up. Jana needs a vacation.

Oh no i never questioned it in the way that i was blaming Jana! My heart goes out to her. I thought maybe that they were just so scared they called him as he is somEone they look up to as an authority and as comfort.
  • Love 1

Calling Josie's seizures a "glitch" just really grated me.  It's not a "glitch".  Your child more than likely has epilepsy, Michelle.  Deal with it!!!!!!!  Accept it!!!!!!  She completely grates me.  And, apparently, she's had several seizures.  I'm not buying the "febrile seizure" story.  They never said she was ill.  Jana didn't tell the paramedics that she had a fever.  I think Josie has more problems than they're letting on.  After all, if she's got issues, that doesn't fit in to their "we can still try for #20" craze.

• Love 4

"Jana needs a vacation." Yes, she does. A permanent one, far, far away from Arkansas and her clueless parents and surrogate children. I feel so much sorrow for that poor woman. I have a place waiting for her here, should she ever decide to break free of that bondage.
  • Love 11

And now we really know what Jana can't leave home. Maybe never. If Josie has developed epilepsy, then I don't think she'll ever be allowed to drive. Or am I wrong about this? It sounds like Jana won't be able to leave home until Josie is grown up enough to get married. 

• Love 2

I don't blame Jana for how she handled it. At the end of the day, she handled it while her parents were who knows where. She isn't the child's mother, nor is she a medical professional and with adrenaline running through her -- of course she said/did things that look stupid to those sitting on the couch no where near the situation. You could tell even grandma was kind of freaked out -- she didn't step in and take charge, she was kind of standing back by the refrigerator instructing Jana and Scott. I don't blame grandma either -- again not her child; she's not a dr; she's older and these kinds of adrenaline filled moments have to be harrowing and exhausting for her.

I do blame JB and Michelle. I fully understand that it is hard to change flights these days. But if they were in Chicago -- there are ways to get home -- drive or fly to another small city and drive from there. If they were in Alaska, they were stuck, but wouldn't normal parents say on camera "we were so scared, thank God Jana was there. We were camped out at the airport and ready to hitchhike on a runway but just could not get a flight home." Even when they got home, they looked like they were arriving home from a regular trip and sauntering in the house -- no running, no look of anxiety, no statements of OMG -- where is she, no hugs or tears with Jana and the older girls.

I don't find Jessa and Joy all that maternal, and you could even see more maternal feelings from them than the child's own mother. Jessa was the one who carried her out of the car and was talking to her pretty sweetly when she got home, and Joy commented on how exhausted she was.

Is it possible that seizures are an issue for Josie? The howlers aren't all that bright, and if they can recognize a seizure and go get Jana -- I'm thinking they've seen one before. Also if this is a known "glitch" (wtf?) for Josie when she has a fever -- and she had had a fever all day as Jana told the EMTs -- couldn't JB and Michelle have postponed their trip or God forbid even canceled? Whatever fundie convention they were speaking at would probably have applauded them for being parents to a sick child first.

• Love 8

My thoughts:

- JD was less sling-blade-ish & actually kind of funny

-I felt sorry for the younger girls. Why shouldnt they have a little girl room? This is the problem of cramming in so many different ages in 1 room

- I agreed with JBoob about not painting the trim with the wall color

-had to LOL about the inspirational quotes that were supposed to help Jill with labor.

-why did the redecorating HAVE to be done in only 2 days? They are home schooled. They had to call in friends to help?!

-I get why they showed the Josie seizure. They have probably been criticized for whitewashing their problems & not showing "reality". However, I don't know how they went from MEchelle covering Josie's bare shoulder in one episode to allowing her to be on camera shirtless in another. And I agree that it is invading Josie's privacy. She doesn't have a say in what is shown.

-poor Jana. I don't need to say more.

-no matter where the Duggars were, they could have tried to get at least ONE of them on a flight home. That probably would have been easier than finding 2 seats on overbooked flights.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 4

Does Jana have power of attorney for health care over Josie? Had something gone horribly wrong, would they have to wait until Michelle and JB got home?  Why didn't Jana - or someone in the house- call 911 ? They acknowledged that Josie has seizures, so why did they wait.  As one of the sister-mothers said 'she was turning blue and purple'. I don't get it.

• Love 1

Added -- the flying home issue reminds me of that scene from Home Alone where the kid's mother was at the gate paying people cash and trading away her earrings just to get someone to switch tickets with her. Her husband had said -- look -- let's just take the flight 2 days later, doing all this won't get you there much faster. And like a mom -- she was like -- nope, if I have to get out on a runway and hitchhike, I am going to do what I can to get to him. So then she travels through like 5 cities and on a moving truck to get home -- only to arrive 3 minutes before her husband who took the later flight. I realize it's fiction, but I think that's what real moms are like.

Hell even in there own fundie cult -- when Trace Bates -- a teen, not a 4 yr old had a car accident -- you could see the sheer look of panic on Kelly's face and Gil had to tell her over and over "don't come to the accident scene, he's ok -- I will bring him to you." And even then she was saying "I wonder if he's REALLY ok or if they're just protecting me" -- she didn't believe it until she saw him. Michelle doesn't seem to have that kind of attachment to her kids.

• Love 21

I wonder why they are lying about their whereabouts? Being in Chicago actually makes them look WORSE than the actual truth. It was well-documented in real-time where JB and Mechelle were. Do they think people live in a vacuum and don't know these details? I'm sure both Pickles and FJ covered it extensively, and still archived for anyone to look up (I don't patronize either place). I got the same intel from another (private) source.

Where were they?

Does Jana have power of attorney for health care over Josie? Had something gone horribly wrong, would they have to wait until Michelle and JB got home? Why didn't Jana - or someone in the house- call 911 ? They acknowledged that Josie has seizures, so why did they wait. As one of the sister-mothers said 'she was turning blue and purple'. I don't get it.

Who called 911 then? The producer guy? I assumed one of the Duggar's did because she told the paramedic Josie's seizure had been about 10 min, & assumed the ambulance would take at least 10 min to get there.

Not blaming, but I was a little surprised Gma Duggar stayed in the background. I thought she would be more take charge/hands on.

I would think that Jana must be able to make medical decisions for Josie. I'm sure that Jim Bob and Michelle are away from home quite a bit when they aren't being filmed and leave the little kids in the care of Jana and Grandma. If the camera crew had not already been there filming the other kids , then Josie's seizure would not have been caught on camera and made into an episode. It makes me wonder how often the camera crew is there to begin with..maybe 3-4 days a week, all day?

Where were they?

I mentioned it in my first post. They were in Alaska at a speaking engagement. eta: I remember making bad Sarah Palin jokes at the time. 

And back to the actual episode. I was sad for Jenni. The poor girl couldn't even keep her horsie. She just can't win, can she? :(

Edited by Sew Sumi

I think Grandma was on the phone with 911. She was in the background but she was relaying instructions to Jana that sounded like they were coming from the operator. Jana doesn't seem to do well under pressure, IIRC the last time Josie had a seizure she was freaking out in the background while Jill calmly talked with the 911 operator. However since Josie is basically her kid it's understandable.

• Love 4

And now we really know what Jana can't leave home. Maybe never. If Josie has developed epilepsy, then I don't think she'll ever be allowed to drive. Or am I wrong about this? It sounds like Jana won't be able to leave home until Josie is grown up enough to get married. 

Here in Australia, some epileptics can drive provided they've been seizure free for an extended period of time. It's assessed on a case by case basis, including what medications you're on, and what your normal triggers are. I think similar rules apply in the US.

• Love 1

I checked out Anna's midwife, Marsha Jackson. She's a CNM, based out of Alexandria, VA. I feel a lot more comfortable about her labor/delivery than I did with Jill's "Miss Joy" based out of that shack in the middle of the woods. Marsha had it more together than all of the midwives/technicians we've seen before on the show, combined. 

• Love 11

Yes, I also as agree Grandma Mary was on phone to 911. Deanna was there. One would think she would've been more hands on in the situation, given her senior status, but I guess its like many have commented, for all intents and purposes, Josie is Jana's kid!

Edited by zenme
  • Love 2

Josie seizure is a "glitch" when she has a fever? I couldn't believe that her MOTHER would refer to her littlest's medical emergency in this way. What is wrong with the woman? I have been reading about her disconnect with her children but to me it was never as clear as it was tonight. AND it was telling that Josie said that she was happy that her daddy was back. Did both parents even tell Jana that they were happy/glad/proud for the way she handled the situation???

I bet MEchelle didn't even care that josie didn't mention her. Mother of the Year folks.

• Love 4