Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E07: Week 7: Eras

• Start Topic

I have seen nothing to suggest that Riker has a bad attitude.  I get not enjoying his dancing or thinking he has resting bitch face, but I haven't seen him portrayed as anything but super sweet and friendly and supportive to everyone.

YMMV, but he also mentioned not being on the top of the leaderboard as "unacceptable" a few weeks ago. He's just like Rumer — he took the competition too seriously too early on, and therefore sucked the fun right out of watching him dance. No matter how technically proficient he is (he isn't technically proficient), there's an attitude. 

• Love 2

Well, bummed about that. Enjoyed Willow very much. But we always knew it was a possibility...she's not really one to appeal to the target demographic. Then last week her dance was cute, but not outstanding and since she was good and had good scores the fanbase she has might have been lulled into feeling safe. Should be proud, though, I thought she did great and showed a great attiude. And Mark did fantastic with her, kudos to him and Tom for managing to comfort her there at the end and deescalating the situation somewhat, since she was already so devastated. Though this did to some degree confirm something I was worried about: She might be poised and mature for her age, but she's 14 and the pressures and mindgames of the show might have been too much for her anyway. Mark did his best to shield her and her experience otherwise seemed a happy one...I hope she doesn't take getting eliminated too much to heart and thinks something is wrong with her etc.

Edited by katha
  • Love 7

:( 

Willow broke my heart a little bit. I knew she was toast as soon as they called that bottom 3, but that was hard to watch. 

I usually can handle Val's bravado, but I do not like when he gets that intense, and I think he tanks his chances with it. Wasn't a fan of the ranting at Rumer while she couldn't breathe, and the whiplash, while an accident, was not cool. It calls to mind when he had Meryl during the switchup and Maks complained about how bruised she was when the week was over. He lets his competitiveness get in the way of being a good teacher, and it kind of sucks the fun out of the dances. 

And I think it should have been a really fun dance, even though I hate that song. Rumer got to be bubbly and not a "badass" and she performed it well. It did feel slightly tentative, which I feel like goes back to - Val! Remember to keep it fun. 

Nastia's dance just made me smile. I loved it, thought it deserved tops of the night. She definitely performed it, it had a lot of energy, and I loved the staging. I thought it was cute to have Derek in it, though I know that's not going to be a thing everyone (anyone?) agrees on.  

Riker was just meh for me - he seemed to get a 10 from Len just because he asked for one? It was less manic but also seemed to lose a bit of energy in the middle. Chris I have to give props for trying and improving, and their concept was cute. I've never been on the Robert train, but he's kinda starting to actively gross me out. Not impressed or won over by the handsiness with Kym. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 5

What happened to Henry? Wasn't he Nastia's practice partner since Derek is so busy with his Radio City dancing gig? I'm wondering why he didn't partner with Nastia tonight.

If you believe Pure DWTS or not, supposedly Henry/Derek were butting heads.  That's why Henry stopped partnering Nastia and Sasha took over.

• Love 2

I'm so upset. I love Willow and now she's gone. She had so much skill and so much potential for more growth that its a damn shame to see her go this early. Her Salsa-off vs Riker was so illuminating. Willow dances with speed and skill and shade. Her salsa had some earthy grounded moments that Riker and Allison could never pull off since everything they do is set to 11. Her Nin-jazz was cool and focused. Its awful to imagine next week without Willow considering I do have to sit through Noah, Chris and Robert.

Carrie Ann is fucking nuts. Noah did not deserve a 10. He doesn't move much and he didn't really do anything to project a character. I could forgive some of his non-dance moments if there was something really interesting happening performance-wise, but week to week Noah doesn't really do much to bring character to each style. There's very little there.

Chris is getting better but he started off so bad that getting better means very little. Also, I hate that CAI became the lift police but why was the lift in this dance not a problem? Robert had a much better week but those lifts looked so laboured. And I get that, he's not a pro, but yikes they were bad. Also, Word Up is not a deep song and when you slow it down and put the focus on the lyrics its not a good thing.

Rumer was fine. It wasn't very memorable. Riker's quickstep was way overscored. He's awful in hold, so jerky and his neck and shoulders do look tight. 

As for Derek (and Nastia and Sasha) embarrassing. He made the entire dance about himself. Trust Sasha to be a partner. Let him choreograph, let him be the partner and let the dance be about their partnership. He situated himself right in the middle of the dancers, sang and made sure that no one would forget who was actually the "star." Also, what the hell is a "Modern Charleston"? Its kind of bullshit that everyone else had to do an era and a dance style while Derek got current era, new crazy dance style! Just bullshit!

I will say this, Nastia generated some partner chemistry tonight now that she got to dance with someone who isn't a chemistry black hole. If Derek can just sit his ass down, she might actually come out ahead.

• Love 11

What happened to Henry? Wasn't he Nastia's practice partner since Derek is so busy with his Radio City dancing gig? I'm wondering why he didn't partner with Nastia tonight.

Sasha's been the practice partner for about two or three weeks now. There are lots of fanspiracies about why the switch, the official reason given was "Henry had scheduling issues." Take that as you will. I like to think Henry is being punished for having a very stupid haircut. (He's a good looking guy, what is that on his head?!)

• Love 1

WTF did I just see?  I felt spun around so many times I can't see straight!  Suddenly no double elimination, points that were supposed to count one way now counting another, stupid dance-offs that only stack the deck unfairly - No wonder poor Willow went home!  There isn't a way to get an even break on this show anymore.  I hate the way they make it the fault of the audience when clearly the show is to blame for things like this.  When one point can be the difference between elimination and immunity, it's all about luck.  And sorry but that's not entertainment for me to see that poor talented young girl cry and get a raw deal like that.  Who the fuck is voting for Noah?  Pity votes?  And Carrie Ann is on board with that giving him a freaking 10.  She has just lost all credibility with me.  It's her fault this happened as much as the jerry-rigged scoring.  Due to a scheduling change my ass.  Who paid the show off to keep someone there?  That's where my mind goes.  I don't think they have any sense of ethics anymore, sorry.  I have been angry about eliminations in the past but this one is the straw for me.  What a freaking travesty this show is anymore.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 6

If you believe Pure DWTS or not, supposedly Henry/Derek were butting heads.  That's why Henry stopped partnering Nastia and Sasha took over.

Sasha's been the practice partner for about two or three weeks now. There are lots of fanspiracies about why the switch, the official reason given was "Henry had scheduling issues." Take that as you will. I like to think Henry is being punished for having a very stupid haircut. (He's a good looking guy, what is that on his head?!)

Thank you both for answering. I think I'm going with the Pure DWTS theory. I mean - scheduling issues? The show is his job. Plus, there's Derek's ego...

• Love 5

My viewing was all over the place because the local news kept breaking in with Baltimore press conferences and breaking news.

I'm sick of over-produced packages. Rumer's swimming pool and the roller disco, Nastia's ice palace, Willow's "dubbed" Japanese, the sepia-toned movie with Chris. It's stupid filler and really keeps you from getting a gauge of the REAL personality of the celebs instead of the schtick. Just show us sweaty rehearsal footage.

I seriously think Carrie Ann was drunk tonight. The weird "aside" with Nastia seemed to scare Nastia and annoy Len. Thankfully, the news broke in with a press conference about mass destruction in my state to interrupt her hysteria about Noah. Her scoring was all over the place. I think she just gave them whatever paddle she managed to fumble a hold of.

Rumer must not be getting votes. A Bruce shill in addition to the package and the "bottom" two? I always love Val's jives and look forward to them every season. This was kind of underwhelming for me. I think because of the eras week, the 60s style made it feel cliched instead of something more straight forward like Zendaya's.

Still not seeing any suggestions of it being "Val's Time".

About 10 minutes into the show, I figured Nastia would win immunity, whether she deserved it or not, to make up for Derek not being here. I can't believe they called an ambulance for a fractured toe. Really? I miss when the pro injuries were all behind the scenes. Even the serious ones where the pro had to be out for the week were just mentioned in passing; the entire package didn't become about the pro's injury, even when Derek has been out with his back injuries in earlier seasons.

Hated Nastia's glitter boobs dress. It bugged me all night. I took issue with the BS that she's gotten "so used" to dancing with Derek that suddenly Sasha will be so hard. Between Henry and Sasha, she's probably not-danced with Derek more than she has danced with him. I did really like her dance. But WTF is a "modern Charleston"? Just call it jazz, like they have everything else this season.

The dance-offs were meh. I literally changed the channel during Noah and Robert's because I didn't care. I prefer the marathons to the dance-offs where they are all judged against everyone and awarded accordingly instead of pairing off against weaker opponents.

I missed Willow and Mark's ninja dance because of more breaking news. I'm sad to see them go. Of that bottom two, it really could have gone either way.

For all the crap she gets, I think Erin was really tactful in how she handled the exit interview by asking Mark to comment and recognizing that Willow wasn't in any condition to speak. It was a sweet way of accomplishing the job.

Edited by skittl3862
  • Love 5

I thought it was really cute to have Derek in it, though I know that's not going to be a thing everyone (anyone?) agrees on.

Aww, don't worry, I'll join you on that lonely island:) Honestly while I didn't necessarily love it, I wasn't particularly bothered by it at all. I think it is because as I see it, while yes, Sasha was standing in this week and did a great job doing so, Nastia is still technically Derek's celebrity and he is still technically the competing Pro.

I guess for me, I would find the whole thing obnoxious if Nastia and Sasha were the competing pairing and Derek just came in to assist or something and he found a way to shoehorn himself in their performance. That would be different.

But at the end of the day he is still the competing Pro and if he wanted to be a part of the performance in any way, then I say whatever. But I can't say the comments and responses to it are in any way surprising.

I will also say that watching Derek in that package and from what I've observed of him over the years, it is why I found the accusations that Henry was doing everything and he just showed up for the glory on Mondays sort of laughable. Derek is way to Type A in my opinion, to give up control like that, to someone else.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

Good grief why couldn't Derek just let Sasha dance with Nastia & cheer from the sidelines? Every time I relax my opinion of him he asses it up again.

Ramble, Jr. wanted Rumer to go. She was neutral about her until Rumer's dad showed up & they spent extra time on her. She said it was blatant vote pandering. I don't particularly enjoy Rumer's dancing, it never makes me feel anything, so I would've been fine with it too.

I keep expecting to get tired of Robert's relentless enthusiasm & optimism, but I still enjoy him.

• Love 2

Thank you both for answering. I think I'm going with the Pure DWTS theory. I mean - scheduling issues? The show is his job. Plus, there's Derek's ego...

I don't buy the scheduling issue either because Henry was on his snapchat playing golf one Sunday like he had all the time in the world.  Anyway, of course the Pure account made it sound like the dust ups were all Henry's fault, but I'm sure it's more somewhere in the middle.  Supposedly Derek thought Henry was trying to take too much credit and also supposedly Nastia was getting some mixed messages between Henry and Derek in terms of choreography  On one level I'm sure Henry was pissed because if Derek had just sat out this season he'd likely have a pro spot.  But either way, I think there is likely some truth to the fact that Henry and Derek weren't seeing eye to eye and Sasha in general seems more easy going.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

But at the end of the day he is still the competing Pro and if he wanted to be a part of the performance in any way, then I say whatever. But I can't say the comments and responses to it are in any way surprising.

Actually, as much as I think Derek deserves some of those comments, in this case I thought he participated in it for Nastia's sake to help her make the transition to a new partner.  She may have felt more comfortable having his support during the performance instead of facing the awkwardness of being out there alone with a new partner.

• Love 1

If every other team can use the whole damn troupe all the time (plus eliminated dancers ... hi Tony and Keo!), Derek can use himself in a dance he was supposed to dance in anyway.

But then again, I'm not anti-Derek even if I do find him a little tired sometimes.

• Love 3

Tom is a fine man.  I adore him.

Me too. I loved so much when he said "I'm going to be a Dad for a minute" and engulfed Willow in a hug. I also loved how everyone rallied around her and hugged her. It's got to be so hard to be 14 and end up going home before others less talented. Adults have more life experience to be able to cope with disappointments like this.

And CAI? It's obvious who she wants to keep around. That 10 for Noah was ridiculous. I like Noah. I admire him for never giving up, never giving in, and challenging himself. But he is at the point where almost everyone else is a better dancer. The only reason he is still there is because of fanbase votes. That and some of the judges scores.

• Love 7

At this point, the Chris train is rolling into the finals unless the producers meddle. The switchback between seasons of The Bachelor and DWTS gives any crossovers a bigger dedicated fan base then most stars. Couple that with the fact that Chris is likely to absorb both Robert and Noah's votes when they are eliminated and he may be pulling the highest vote totals by the end of the season. Chris also doesn't have any controversy with his partner like Sean did with Peta and weaker competition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the finals become Rumor, Ryker, and Chris. I have a feeling Nastia's votes were propped up by Derek. The longer they aren't dancing together, the higher chance she has of going before the finals. That's why I thought he participated in the dance and made sure his mug was front and center.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 3

Aww, don't worry, I'll join you on that lonely island:) Honestly while I didn't necessarily love it, I wasn't particularly bothered by it at all. I think it is because as I see it, while yes, Sasha was standing in this week and did a great job doing so, Nastia is still technically Derek's celebrity and he is still technically the competing Pro.

I guess for me, I would find the whole thing obnoxious if Nastia and Sasha were the competing pairing and Derek just came in to assist or something and he found a way to shoehorn himself in their performance. That would be different.

Except with those injuries, Derek is not going to be dancing again this season. An ankle sprain is brutal and it really limits your movement. If it was just the toe, maybe, but that ankle is a killer. Even if he can get up and moving without splints, he will not be able to dance to his full potential and it would hold Nastia back to pair her with someone who is hurt.

• Love 3

Hey everybody! In case you didn't know, Derek is all that matters! Ever! Having a partner is an irritating formality that he would do away with if it were possible. All the mirrorball trophies are automatically engraved with his name and something is slapped over it should the unthinkable happen! DerekDerekDerekDerekDerekDerekDerek!! Sort of like calling for Beetlejuice but you have to say his name more times because he likes to hear it over and over!

I was rolling my eyes so hard during the interview with Erin I think I saw the back of my own skull. Nastia who? Why even have Sasha in the frame?

Willow's elimination was complete and utter crap. Chris or Robert should be gone by now. Why people continue to vote for Bachelor guy baffles me.

• Love 10

Honestly while I didn't necessarily love it, I wasn't particularly bothered by it at all. I think it is because as I see it, while yes, Sasha was standing in this week and did a great job doing so, Nastia is still technically Derek's celebrity and he is still technically the competing Pro.

But at the end of the day he is still the competing Pro and if he wanted to be a part of the performance in any way, then I say whatever. But I can't say the comments and responses to it are in any way surprising

There have been a lot of injured pros over the course of the show, and none of them have done what Derek did tonight. Everyone else steps aside and lets the new pro dance and partner.

• Love 12

From the start, Rumer's lack of a fanbase was discussed. However, I'm not suprised that Rumer didn't get a lot of votes after last week's critique. But note to Carrie Ann, the pace of that jive matched the tempo of the song. As for Derek, as long as he's still choreographing the number, there was no need to find a way to shoehorn himself in the performance.

Edited by Avidviewer
  • Love 3

There have been a lot of injured pros over the course of the show, and none of them have done what Derek did tonight. Everyone else steps aside and lets the new pro dance and partner.

There has also been less flexibility in the past. It's hard to insert yourself into a proper ballroom cha cha or a tango or something. But because these past seasons have been full of jazzes and contemporaries and whatever else, plus they get to use the troupe every dance ... it gives more opportunity to make it a group dance.

• Love 3

And that's great for them. I am simply expressing my opinion that the dance and his presence did not bother me and gave my reasons why it didn't.

Except with those injuries, Derek is not going to be dancing again this season.

That may be so, but as of right now, there has been no official word from the show that he is done for the season. The only thing confirmed was that Sasha was "stepping in this week" for him. So again, technically, he's still competing and she's still his celebrity. Something Nastia herself seemed to want to make clear if the constant #houghkin forever tags she was posting all over the place, was any indication.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I was missing the 80s in Robert and Kym's Argentine tango. But at the same time I can't really think of any defining characteristics of the 80s. Shoulder pads? Androgeny? Punk? Big hair? None of that is really great for an Argentine Tango.

Androgyny might have been an interesting option for the Argentine Tango. I don't know if it would have worked for Robert and Kym, but visually I think it would be a different and enjoyable choice.

I don't know what's going on but I was at odds with the judges so many times tonight.

A 10 for Noah? He was good, the routine was cute, but the 10 was really for a solid group number, not necessarily for anything spectacular Noah did. I would have given that routine an 8 or 9, tops.

Chris, Robert and Noah staying in the game while Willow is kicked out? I just don't agree. Even Witney seemed shocked. I think once Robert and Noah stayed, she thought she and Chris were going home for sure. To have Willow go home just goes to show it's a popularity contest, not a dancing contest, and even the popularity is hard to pinpoint sometimes.

I disagreed with some of the dance-offs too. I thought Willow and Mark were solid, but I would have voted for Riker and Allison. They were frantic, as usual, but to me their moves from one dance step to the next were really seamless and fluid and very together with one another, whereas Mark and Willow seemed at times disjointed going from one lift or move to the next. If Mark and Willow had gone up against Chris or Noah or Robert, it would have been Mark and Willow, hands-down. But I really did think Riker and Allison did better, and I was stunned when not a single judge voted for them.

With Noah and Robert's dance-off, I can see why they had trouble deciding, because one had not much movement at all (Noah) while the other made some mistakes (Robert). But honestly, I thought it should have gone to the one who had some actual movement going on. Mistakes or not, Robert was giving it his all. Noah barely moved at all. And it was especially noticeable because he moved a hell of a lot more in his pimp routine earlier in the evening, so to see him go back to doing almost nothing felt like he shouldn't have won the dance-off. It didn't feel right.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Willow's elimination was complete and utter crap. Chris or Robert should be gone by now. Why people continue to vote for Bachelor guy baffles me.

I can even understand the Chris votes more than the Robert votes.  Chris has been improving plus he's not hard on the eyes.  Robert, however loses on both counts, IMO.  I still smell a rat with the re-scheduling of the double elimination.  How many accountants did they have to pay to stay up all night and predict who would probably go home so that they could change the rules around to ensure it didn't happen?  And then the one who does go home is the last person who deserves it.  Nice, show!

Except with those injuries, Derek is not going to be dancing again this season. An ankle sprain is brutal and it really limits your movement.

Oof! Tell me about it. I slipped and sprained my ankle a few weeks ago with our last (and hopefully final) snowstorm of the winter here, and I still feel like an old woman when I have to take particularly steep stairs. It's annoying!

Side thought: I did chuckle that Robert and Kym did a tango to "Word Up." That was unusual.

Edited by sinkwriter

There has also been less flexibility in the past. It's hard to insert yourself into a proper ballroom cha cha or a tango or something. But because these past seasons have been full of jazzes and contemporaries and whatever else, plus they get to use the troupe every dance ... it gives more opportunity to make it a group dance.

That's true. The show allows group dances now, so Derek took advantage. Derek's ego, I should say. Nastia and Sasha looked cute together, and it would have been nice to see them dance without the crowd.

• Love 1

I can even understand the Chris votes more than the Robert votes.  Chris has been improving plus he's not hard on the eyes.  Robert, however loses on both counts, IMO.  I still smell a rat with the re-scheduling of the double elimination.  How many accountants did they have to pay to stay up all night and predict who would probably go home so that they could change the rules around to ensure it didn't happen?  And then the one who does go home is the last person who deserves it.  Nice, show!

They actually changed the scheduling during last week's show.  Tom said production changed their tune halfway through last week's show and therefore if you go back and watch, Tom never once mentions a double elimination during the second half of the show after production told him it was a no go.  So I think the whole thing is manipulated and all that, but TPTB did change the elimination before they knew who would be eliminated this week.

• Love 1

Nastia and Sasha looked cute together, and it would have been nice to see them dance without the crowd.

It would be nice to see any of them dance without a crowd, really. (But I did like Sasha and Nastia together.)

If they want to keep the show going, maybe they should look at cutting costs ... starting with using the troupe in every dance every week. Or really, the troupe at all. I'd only miss Sasha. And maybe Henry. That's a whole 6 salaries they don't have to pay!

• Love 3

We're in that crappy part of each season when the initial tide of good-will toward the weaker dancers is turning, when more technically proficient or entertaining dancers get the unceremonious boot.

I enjoyed Willow and Mark's partnering and creative performances, sad that they had to be cut this soon!

• Love 3

I'm super unhappy that it played out like that, but that's just how the show works, gotta live with it if you don't like it as well. I'm assuming Nastia wasn't the elimination and she got the immunity, and honestly it's better this way. They shouldn't tamper with votes to that degree...if Willow didn't have the votes, she didn't have the votes. She would probably have been gone in next week's double elim anyway, now that we somewhat know that Robert's, Noah's and Chris' fans are powervoting for them. Willow just didn't appeal to the core audience, no matter that she was a much better dancer. It's not a dance contest, we all know that. Sometimes it's easy to forget it in situations like this. And if double elimination was this week, she would have probably been swapped up in that as well, perhaps if this week's scores and votes counted it might have helped. But who even knows, the scores were close again and she just might not have had the votes anyway. And yeah, schedule was mixed around because apparently ABC wanted the anniversary special tomorrow, not because of some dastardly master plan. It is what it is.

Heard that she skipped the press line and is still devastated by it all. I hope when she calms down, Mark and in general the adults around her sit her down and explain to her why it happened and that it wasn't that she was somehow inadequate or that she's unlikable or whatever she may think now, that it's just the specific structure of the show, people coming in with bigger fanbases, adults being more likely to vote for other adults etc. and that popularity contests like that aren't a judgement on your worth as a person or even your worth as a dancer. I feel really bad for her.

Edited by katha
  • Love 10

Actually, as much as I think Derek deserves some of those comments, in this case I thought he participated in it for Nastia's sake to help her make the transition to a new partner.  She may have felt more comfortable having his support during the performance instead of facing the awkwardness of being out there alone with a new partner.

Nastia has been rehearsing with Sasha for weeks. This isn't a "new" partner for her.

• Love 3

It would be nice to see any of them dance without a crowd, really. (But I did like Sasha and Nastia together.)

If they want to keep the show going, maybe they should look at cutting costs ... starting with using the troupe in every dance every week. Or really, the troupe at all. I'd only miss Sasha. And maybe Henry. That's a whole 6 salaries they don't have to pay!

I feel like the opposite is happening. The show is moving in a direction away from its ballroom beginnings, and towards a more contemporary, big production-type show, with lots of dancers and gimmicks and razzmatazz. I think they cut a lot of costs by ditching the Tuesday night show, as well as the old band.

• Love 3

They actually changed the scheduling during last week's show. Tom said production changed their tune halfway through last week's show and therefore if you go back and watch, Tom never once mentions a double elimination during the second half of the show after production told him it was a no go. So I think the whole thing is manipulated and all that, but TPTB did change the elimination before they knew who would be eliminated this week.

I still have my doubts about the timeline working out the way Tom said it did. For a lack of impropriety, I would think that if the producer's absolutely knew there was going to be no double elimination, they would have Tom say something to the effect of "We're working on making some changes to our elimination schedule due to the 10th anniversary special. Check abc.com in the morning for details." Instead he says nothing and nothing is announced until after all polls were closed. Then he backpedals tonight as much as possible.

The grassy knoll side of me strongly thinks Nastia or Rumor were up for elimination with the double elimination.

• Love 3

I'll watch for Patti next week, but I'm completely over this season. 

According to my DVR, the 10th Anniversary special is tomorrow night, not next week. Just wanted to mention it so you didn't miss Patti singing!   :)

• Love 1

Personally, I got a bit tired of Mark's gimmicky dances and the emphasis on strange costumes. I think that stuff took away from the dancing. I was switching back and forth and when I flipped to see Mark and Willow's dance, all I could see with their costume wasn't Ninja, but an Isis terrorist. I'm sorry, to me, that's what they looked like.

Who's voting for Chris? From everything I've been reading, he's adopted a real diva attitude and has become a real pain in the butt, according to set siders. I just think he's a fame ho, and a jerk.

• Love 5

Erin: You win immunity!

Derek: Hell yeah we do!!! We're the best! I'm a creative genius!!! I AM THE NEXT FRED AST--oh wait, Mark and Willow still have to go!

Erin: Oh yeah!

Erin looks away from the script.

Erin: FOR NOW. YOU HAVE IMMUNITY FOR NOW.

Willow's reaction was heartbreaking. It's a fucking travesty that Robert, Noah, and Chris are all there. No other way to put it.

Just now listening to the west coast feed of all-access with Gethin + Karina.   Karina's watching Derek/Sasha/Nastia's dance and asks "what is this dance".  She didn't recognize it as a Charleston and said there was too much sitting.  So how did this get the highest score? Oh yea. Derek said in the package that he didn't just want immunity, he needed it...and TPTB provide.  Scripted? Yup!

• Love 6

Hey everybody! In case you didn't know, Derek is all that matters! Ever! Having a partner is an irritating formality that he would do away with if it were possible. All the mirrorball trophies are automatically engraved with his name and something is slapped over it should the unthinkable happen! DerekDerekDerekDerekDerekDerekDerek!! Sort of like calling for Beetlejuice but you have to say his name more times because he likes to hear it over and over!

O....M....G   First I'm going to concede that Derek is a very good choreographer, but the way this show coddles this guy and props up his ego is sickening.  It was already pre-ordained they would get immunity but that idiot Erin blurted it out before Willow even danced. No way is Derek out for the rest of the season; he'll make a miraculous recovery and be in the final two.

• Love 4

Okay, no reading this if you haven't read the Hunger Games books but

at least Willow's fans will have some practice seeing her shockingly and heartbreakingly eliminated much too soon, before the next movie comes out?

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2

Len's hatred for the troupe is hilarious.

I didn't see the point of doing eras if all we got was music and costuming as related to that era. I don't like Derek but his 50s Paso with Nicole Scherzinger was incredible. I think Sharna did the best. I felt like all the pros were extremely lazy.

A live singer and special effects for Nastia? How come no one else got a live singer? Hmmmmm. I still think she's boring as hell. 

Word Up for Robert and Kym's AT was so distracting I had the volume one click above mute.

Cool slow-motion visual effect of the subway during Nastia and Sasha's dance <<< and Derek.

Loved Willow's long, straight hair and the way it swished around during her salsa dance-off. :)

I was disappointed by Rumer's Jive. Plenty of content and danced well but I expect more from Val for that dance.

Did not see any Charleston in Nastia's dance.

Nice job America! You made a little girl cry.

Noah is hot but he does very little dancing.

• Love 1

I'm sad to see Willow go - she had dance ability and good work ethic. Plus, Mark was able to keep Willow's dances age appropriate. I would have liked to have seen her in the top 3 or 4. There was a lot of talk about her age throughout the season, but tonight was the night I felt she really showed how young she is. I don't blame her for having a real reaction, but think it would be better to have an age minimum of 18 or at least 16.

Derek was ridiculous tonight - he designed the dance so that he could remain in the spotlight and then all but pushed Sasha to the background afterward. I didn't mind him choreographing the dance, especially if he'll be back as Nastia's partner later in the season. However, let Sasha have his moment with Nastia. Seeing Nastia and Sasha's dance makes me wish they were partners all season. Nastia had personality that didn't seem strained or forced and they were comfortable together. Derek seems to make Nastia too tense.

I really likes seeing Artem in the buffer dances. He has such charisma - this season with Patti made me a real fan. I love seeing the eliminated pros in these numbers, though I'm not a huge fan of the troupe members dancing with the competing couples

• Love 4

Robert must have quite the fanbase.

The best part of the whole two hours for me was that Robert is safe. I have had a crush on him for years - first on Dragons Den, then Shark Tank. I actually tried to vote for him a couple of weeks ago (the last time I voted was for Maks and Merle) and was surprised to find out that now you cannot vote if you don't live in the U.S.   So glad that so many Americans are supporting Robert. It gives me hope that he might survive the double elimination next week.

That was B.S. to me that because their dance off was a tie, the two points go to the other team because Len voted for them. Why doesn't each team get one point? Speaking of Len, I guess the way to get a 10 from him is to just ask for it. Has Len ever been the only person on the panel to give a 10 when none of the other judges have for a particular dance? He is way stingier with his tens than the others, so it was very odd to me.

Bruce Willis is a sleep inducing interviewee. Really, a sleep aide maker should snag him to do a commercial.

Sorry to see Willow go, would rather have had Chris, Noah or Riker go ahead of her. I wonder if they will have someone so young on again, given that she took it so hard (and not unsurprisingly so).

• Love 2

After seeing how Derek chose to handle the dance tonight, I'm thinking Sasha was chosen for being more malleable and controllable than Henry. 

• Love 8

Is it too much to ask that the music for the "era" dances be from the respective eras? Not a Megan Trainor song for a "60s" dance and no cheating with neo-emo covers. I thought the original Word Up by Cameo would have been *much* better suited for Robert and Kym's AT.

I would have liked Nastia's and Sasha's dance a lot more if Derek hadn't made the dance, package, judging, and interview all about him. More ado was made about his sprained ankle than when Kym almost broke her neck a couple of years ago. Seriously, he needed to be taken away in an ambulance with the siren on? He sickens me.

The other pro I didn't like tonight was Allison. WTF was that "salsa"? She didn't have time to YouTube a couple of videos to see what real salsa looks like? I actually don't hate Riker so much anymore since he started doing his hair properly, but now I want them gone because of Allison. I would be very pissed if she wins the MBT over one of the real ballroom pros.

Watching Noah "dance" cha-cha was painful. I don't doubt that he's doing his absolute best, but it still translates to him doing very little dancing. Too little, at this point in the competition. Robert and Kym should have won that dance-off.

Poor Willow crying broke my heart. I'm glad Tom gave her that bear hug.

ETA: I don't mind Bruce Willis, but I find his interactions with Rumer hard to watch because she seems so needy for his attention. The first time he was in the audience, they showed a clip of Rumer thanking him effusively for coming. This time she mentioned how rarely she gets to see him and complimented him about how hard he works. I got the impression that he isn't as involved in her life as she'd like him to be.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

Someone mentioned upthread that Tom tweeted during last week's live show that the double elimination was not to be. If this is true then I guess the decision was made before voting even started.  At least they stuck with the "faux" bottom two format and refrained from calling it the actual bottom two, but what was up with Erin's extra special "make special note of the phone number/we're saying this for a reason" during Rumer/Val's vote shilling?

Val was pissed from the second their dance ended and the judges started their critique.  But I do think he honestly thought they were going home for a hot minute there.  Also the way he's tweeting you can tell he's worried about votes for next week.  Dude is pissed.

Perhaps Val was not so confident after all and had all kinds of doubts because of the little tidbit from Erin. It would explain Val's intensity when standing in the faux bottom two. I can kind of understand it because a) over the years he's never really been interested in hiding his intensity, and b) he knows that it's not always or even, really, ever just about the dancing which is the only thing that he has any say in. Judged competitions are strange beasts. The most amazing attitude that I have seen from an athlete in a judged competition was Nastia Liukin at the Bejing Olympics when she won the Silver in the Uneven Bars event final. I thought she was unquestionably robbed of the gold in her signature event; in the post event interviews, however, Nastia was Class personified and it didn't sound like canned media training. It would have been interesting to see if Nastia could have had a similar calming influence on Val as Meryl had on Maks.

Still, we don't have Nastia/Val and instead have Rumer/Val. For me Val and Rumer's Foxtrot was not only the dance-off of the night, it was the dance of the night. Nothing else I saw tonight was anywhere as close to a 10 as that Foxtrot.  I'm not sure what Julianne was watching that she thought it was close in the dance-off between Rumer and Chris, but I have to wonder if it had been her brother dancing instead of Val, that she would have offered that particular bit of inanity.

• Love 4