Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So far I think the attendees have done a good job with the fashion but the red carpet set-up still isn't as slick as it should be and I don't think it's going to move anyone on "social media."

Something Rotten is derived from the Mel Brooks' sitcom of old, yes?

That was called When Things were Rotten (according to IMDB).  This is a show set in Shakespeare's time.  These guys hate him and are trying to be more successful than he is.  At least I think that's the basic plot.

(edited)

Thanks, ebk57. I remember When Things Were Rotten (not just things, but also kings were rotten) and the costumes looked medievally to me. But now that you mention it, they are much more Elizabethany.

Edited by ABay
(edited)

I did not really enjoy Hugh Jackman hosting last year. I think it was much smarter to start small this year instead of trying to top one of those big NPH numbers. It was like a monologue with music and the transition to A Musical from Something Rotten kept the energy up and still provided the spectacle. I will say that A Musical didn't get me excited about Something Rotten and it made me understand what people were saying about a ton of theatre references without actual jokes behind them. 

Edited by aradia22

Well, it was kind of nice they didn't go for an opening to top the NPH or Hugh numbers--but it was not tremendously scintillating.  Then there's Something Rotten with that How-many-references-can-you-pick-up number?  OK, I guess.  How does KC manage those heels?

• Love 1

Also, I should have placed that bet on them definitely starting with Wilkommen. ;)

How does KC manage those heels?

Practice? I am short. She is tiny. Every time I've seen her she's been in crazy heels.

Anna Chlumsky and Debra Messing match down to having terrible hairdos.

• Love 1

I just went through a slideshow of the arrivals. It started with Jennifer Lopez. Why in the world is she even there? They know she can't act or sing, right?

Wow, a lot of really, really, really ugly dresses.

That was awkward making Ruthie Ann Miles jump into that song with no context but I'm glad she was featured because I really do think she was the MVP of that show. 

I'm liking Alan and Kristin checking in all the time. I don't think it's going to be a flashy hosting job and that's OK. Sometimes you just want someone keeping the ship on course.

• Love 2

I just went through a slideshow of the arrivals. It started with Jennifer Lopez. Why in the world is she even there? They know she can't act or sing, right?

I'm convinced she would show up to an opening of an envelope if it was televised and had a red carpet.

• Love 1
(edited)

What was Christian Borle mouthing as he left? Was that an F bomb?

Also, why did I think his name was pronounced Borely?

Edited by ABay

Looking at the fashion during the commercial...

Likes... Vanessa Hudgens, Kat Dennings, Jennifer Nettles, Patricia Clarkson, Kristin Chenoweth, Elisabeth Moss (it feels like a much chicer version of the clothes I was recapping on Threads), Annaleigh Ashford

Dislikes... Rose Byrne, Carey Mulligan (if this is a maternity dress I feel like she could have gone with something better), Taylor Schilling, Helen Mirren, you know what just most of the models and Hollywood imports have made strange choices, Sutton Foster, Jennifer Grey, Judith Light

Is that it, E? Where are all the Broadway people?

Am I the only one who finds it awkward that Rose Byrne is presenting with Bobby Cannavale when Sutton Foster was thanking him when she won her award just a couple of years ago?

Yay for Christian Borle!

Is this win for Sam Gold the start of a Fun Home sweep?

Grand Hotel is one of those albums I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. One day I'll get through it, probably while writing up a TNR.

(edited)

Gigi is the first musical I ever heard (we had the record) and started a lifelong love of Lerner and Loewe.

And alliteration.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

This is when it stinks to be the only woman in a house with one television. Thanks for keeping me updated while the game is on and the Tonys are being recorded!

• Love 1
(edited)

This is when it stinks to be the only woman in a house with one television. Thanks for keeping me updated while the game is on and the Tonys are being recorded!

Can't you find a Tony-watching bar?  :-)

Or better yet, send the men out to a bar to watch the game!!

And thanks for reminding me to check the game score...

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 4

Excellent choice to air a Younger commercial during the Tony's. Maybe people will catch up on season 1 before season 2 next season.

Lisa Kron won for Best Book and Fun Home took Best Original Score. It's looking like they're heading for the big win.

• Love 1

Fun Home is the best thing I've seen in years.

There's a moment between Judy Kuhn and Emily Skeggs that was crushing.

My heart stops to think about it, I can't recommend it more.