Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think it was a mistake to let JHud sing this song because it gives you no concept of what Finding Neverland will be like. It just sounds like every other JHud performance (though she did win me over a little during Smash).

Oh, boo. The Kelli O'Hara loss has made me grumpy. That and Hugh Jackman's generally terrible hosting. The thing will all the best actress nominees was cute but it just felt like a bit of a waste of time.

Oh, thank the gods! At least it wasn't Beautiful. I haven't seen Gentleman's Guide but at least it's original material.

I'm always watching this for the Shows.  But this time, I think the Show was totally underwhelming.  A shame... 

I really hope NPH can host next year.  Seems to make a whole lot of difference.  And I like Hugh Jackman...

I'm always watching this for the Shows.  But this time, I think the Show was totally underwhelming.  A shame...

I really hope NPH can host next year.  Seems to make a whole lot of difference.  And I like Hugh Jackman...

I think a lot of the performances were great but the actual show... Hugh Jackman's hosting fell very flat. It was largely carried on the strength of his charm. No Emmy noms for the show or a song this year.

You know I should have known Jessie Mueller would win. People often win in the ugliest dresses.

• Love 1

You know I should have known Jessie Mueller would win. People often win in the ugliest dresses.

I liked your post before you posted this.  This is so funny...and true.

• Love 1

WTF, I didn't think they'd seriously do a Wicked performance again. I wish Lindsay was still doing it so she could have done the Tony performance. Also, Alli Mauzey.

I really like the current Elphaba.  The current Glinda seems meh, and the bright yellow curly wig was looking especially hideous tonight.  I was surprised they didn't pan to Idina after the performance. 

Kelli looked too good. The awards gods were having none of it. Even if you're a sure bet like Anne Hathaway you need to change out of your nice lace dress and wear a dress with unfortunate darts that give you pointy nips. It's the rules.

I was surprised they didn't pan to Idina after the performance.

WhattheBuck tweeted this, but they should have just let Idina sing. She was already there.

Well, at least I had a fun night snarking with you. And I mean it, ebk57. Look me up when you're in NYC.

Well, at least I had a fun night snarking with you. And I mean it, ebk57. Look me up when you're in NYC.

Will do!  I had a lovely time chatting with you tonight!

• Love 1

I think a lot of the performances were great but the actual show... Hugh Jackman's hosting fell very flat. It was largely carried on the strength of his charm. No Emmy noms for the show or a song this year.

I was kind of surprised that the hosting was so flat.  I knew it'd be practically impossible to even come close to the opening number NPH put on last year so I don't blame them for not trying.  I don't think NPH himself could top what he did last year.  But I don't know that going with such an obscure concept was the smartest choice.  I can appreciate the athleticism but I thought it was boring.  At least the original "bounce" routine had more interesting things happen in it and was bounced better.

But the jokes and other musical interludes were equally meh.  So I gather Hugh must have different writers. 

Les Miserables is on Broadway again? Anyway, I'm not one of those crazy Eponine fangirls, but this actress's voice does not suit the role. She was downright terrible.

NPH was fun in Hedwig, but I was hoping he'd sing a different song. The one he sang is not one of my favorite from the show.

Jonathan Groff's intro for Idina Menzel was cute and funny. You get the joke, but it wasn't over-the-top in your face.

(edited)

I thought Hugh Jackman did a great job hosting the Tonys. Given that he's a cancer survivor, it's a wonder that he had any energy, let alone could hop for three minutes and sing and dance after that. Not only was I not bored by the hopping, it made me laugh the whole time.

Speaking of funny, I loved Jonathan Groff's introduction for Idina Menzel. At least he got her name right.

Audra McDonald's sixth Tony win, the standing ovation she got and her acceptance speech moved me to tears, especially when she mentioned her late parents, who ignored the doctors' diagnosis of her hyperactivity and encouraged her to do theater. It's amazing what unconditional love can do.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Out of curiosity, are we going to meet up again for all the awards shows or are you just theatre people?

I'm usually around for at least the four majors - Tonys, Emmys, Grammys and Oscars.  I also love the Kennedy Center Honors. 

So take that as a warning...  :-)

• Love 2

I thought Hugh Jackman did a great job hosting the Tonys.

I did too.  Hugh and NPH are vastly different entertainers and while nothing will ever top last year's instant classic opening number I thought Hugh held his own nicely.  I didn't care for the bouncing but enjoyed pretty much everything about him after that point.

I want to party with James Monroe Iglehart.  His wife can come along too if she wants.

Idina sounded fabulous.  I'm very hit or miss with her (for the record I think "Let It Go" is dreck and that her vocals are horrible on it) but she nailed the 'If/Then' song.  To paraphrase something my lyricist boyfriend Lin-Manuel Miranda posted last night on FB, Idina has more talent in her lower lip quiver than most people have at all.  A true statement for that performance, in my opinion.

Honestly, I look forward to these threads during the show even more than the show!  So I'll be following along!  So glad this tradition is available on previous.tv for those of us who recently joined. 

• Love 2

Violet sounds so good. And I really want to try and see it soon. But it annoys me that she doesn't actually have a scar.

I was hoping she has a scar in the actual show, and they chose not to go with it at the Tonys because Sutton Foster didn't want to deal with that makeup at an awards show.

But that's really what she looks like in the show?

Ugh, the Eponine is terrible. She's killing it. In the bad way

I'm not one of those crazy Eponine fangirls, but this actress's voice does not suit the role. She was downright terrible.

You know, every Eponine I've seen live seems to sing with a modern twist that doesn't sound quite right.  Could this be a deliberate casting choice?

OTOH, I had the distinct pleasure of sitting in the 3rd row of a benefit concert that Audra McDonald performed last year, and that woman is a GODDESS!  Here are clips of her six (!) Tony acceptance speeches.

I was hoping she has a scar in the actual show, and they chose not to go with it at the Tonys because Sutton Foster didn't want to deal with that makeup at an awards show.

Yes, according to Wikipedia, the scar is simply left to the audience's imagination; it's never actually shown by the use of makeup.

.You know, every Eponine I've seen live seems to sing with a modern twist that doesn't sound quite right.  Could this be a deliberate casting choice?

The only Eponine I've ever cared for was Lea Salonga's in the tenth-anniversary "Dream Cast" production that was done at Royal Albert Hall in 1995.  She owned that part just as Colm Wilkerson was (and to me, still is) the definitive Jean Valjean.  And while we're on the subject of WTF casting choices for Les Miserables, a black Enjolras?  Really?

And while we're on the subject of WTF casting choices for Les Miserables, a black Enjolras?  Really?

People probably said that about Audra McDonald's first Tony-winning performance in Carousel.  She lauded the "non-traditional" casting in her acceptance speech.  (Link above.)

People probably said that about Audra McDonald's first Tony-winning performance in Carousel.  She lauded the "non-traditional" casting in her acceptance speech.  (Link above.)

There's "non-traditional" and there's completely nonsensical.  There is no way that Enjolras would have been a black man during the 1832 Paris revolution for the simple reason that blacks were almost non-existent in the Paris of that time period, and even if they hadn't been, they would not have been part of the revolution because they would have been considered property at best (even though slavery didn't exist in France), not persons with the same claim to equality as everyone else.

If you're going to do color-blind casting, do it in a way that makes sense within the context of the story and isn't going to take me completely out of the performance.  Don't do it just to be hip, edgy, and politically correct.

There were people of color in France during the time period - in fact, the father of Alexandre Dumas was a general in the French Army (he was of mixed race).  Take a look at his Wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas-Alexandre_Dumas  There is a excellent recent book about him - The Black Count by Tom Reiss.  So yes, people of color were certainly rare in 19th Century France, but not non-existant - and the Enjolras sang very, very well indeed.

• Love 2

Yeah, she doesn't have a scar in the show. I saw an interview with Sutton where she was asked about it and she said something about her and the actress playing the younger version of Violet drawing what they believed the scar would look like on each other's faces one day in rehearsal and her just hating it. I feel like that was a non-answer to "why don't you have a scar in the show". You could interpret it as her saying that she internalized the feeling of having the fake scar for that one day in rehearsal so it wasn't necessary but... I think it's totally necessary. The play is not about someone's self-loathing for something that no one else cares about. It's like having a phantom with no disfigurement. I love Sutton to pieces (I saw her in Drowsy Chaperone and she was brilliant) even though I couldn't watch Bunheads after the premiere when

Cameron died

(edited)

Yes, according to Wikipedia, the scar is simply left to the audience's imagination; it's never actually shown by the use of makeup.

The only Eponine I've ever cared for was Lea Salonga's in the tenth-anniversary "Dream Cast" production that was done at Royal Albert Hall in 1995.  She owned that part just as Colm Wilkerson was (and to me, still is) the definitive Jean Valjean.  And while we're on the subject of WTF casting choices for Les Miserables, a black Enjolras?  Really?

Why is that any different from any black casting in that show?  Either you roll with any potential historical inaccuracy for the sake of some much needed diversity and colorblind casting, or you don't.  It's kind of an all or nothing choice with a period piece.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Thanks for the In Memoriam link.  I noticed that it listed Julie Harris as "Six Time Tony Award Winner."  I know she had 6 Tony Awards, but the final one was a special award honoring her theater career, so in a sense it wasn't "won" (there was no overt competition).  I only mention this because a big deal has been made (rightly so) about Audra McDonald winning her 6th Tony Award last night, making her the only person in that category.

It's a shame they couldn't fit this 2.5 minute tribute into a 3-hour program.

I like Hugh Jackman and thought he did a good job hosting but could have done without the hopping regardless of the movie tie-in. I thought it was ridiculous. NPH's opening last year was one for the ages so Hugh was facing an uphill battle before he started. I liked his bit with the Best Actresses.

The only one of the nominated shows which I've seen is Gentleman's Guide, which I loved. So glad that the show won.

As for the telecast, I've never seen James Monroe Iglehart and thought he was fabulous in his Aladdin number. It didn't make me want to see the show but he was a dynamo. I'm planning to see Beautiful and loved seeing Carole King singing with Jessie Mueller. Idina was fantastic - blew the roof off as far as I am concerned. I love Sutton but the Violet number didn't make me want to see the show. Could have done without the JHud number and the Sting number - both for shows which haven't appeared on Broadway yet. Would have preferred to have seen Rosie accept the honorary Tony. Admit that I teared up when Audra won Number Six and broke down. I didn't love the Hedwig number but NPH was certainly energetic. I was more focused on Lena Hall as his bandmate.

I always loved when PBS aired the first hour for the awards not shown on the CBS telecast. I wish that they would continue to do that.

For the person who asked about the Bobby Van number that Hugh was referencing with the bouncing -- it was from "Small Town Girl," and that scene was featured prominently in "That's Entertainment II." Oh, and the title of the song is quite appropriate: "Take Me to Broadway."

With respect to the person who didn't care for the black Enjolras -- you probably weren't thrilled with Norm Lewis's (Porgy, Sen. Edison on "Scandal") portrayal of Javert in the 25th anniversary concert version either, right?

There's "non-traditional" and there's completely nonsensical.  There is no way that Enjolras would have been a black man during the 1832 Paris revolution for the simple reason that blacks were almost non-existent in the Paris of that time period, and even if they hadn't been, they would not have been part of the revolution because they would have been considered property at best (even though slavery didn't exist in France), not persons with the same claim to equality as everyone else.

If you're going to do color-blind casting, do it in a way that makes sense within the context of the story and isn't going to take meMisc TV Talk completely out of the performance.  Don't do it just to be hip, edgy, and politically correct.

Seriously?  It's musical theatre, not history class.  So you're ok with a Filipina Eponine, but not a black Enjolras?  How does that work?  He has an awesome voice and is a damn good actor.  Nothing else matters.

Also, tubby Aladdin was amazing!  Who knew a guy that big could sing and dance for that long!

• Love 1

For the person who asked about the Bobby Van number that Hugh was referencing with the bouncing -- it was from "Small Town Girl," and that scene was featured prominently in "That's Entertainment II." Oh, and the title of the song is quite appropriate: "Take Me to Broadway."

For me, a reference works best when it's short and when it can kind of connect even when you don't know the reference. There was nothing I enjoyed about just watching him walk around sort of (?) interacting with cast members of the various shows. Nod to the Les Miz cast? OK. What? That's not a well-choreographed opening.

With respect to the person who didn't care for the black Enjolras -- you probably weren't thrilled with Norm Lewis's (Porgy, Sen. Edison on "Scandal") portrayal of Javert in the 25th anniversary concert version either, right?

Ha! I don't watch Scandal and I read that as "Porgy, Sen. Edison" and thought, wow, it's weird they named his character Senator Porgy Edison since he played Porgy in Porgy and Bess with Audra.

Ha! I don't watch Scandal and I read that as "Porgy, Sen. Edison" and thought, wow, it's weird they named his character Senator Porgy Edison since he played Porgy in Porgy and Bess with Audra.

Okay, that just made me laugh out loud.  

• Love 1
Yes, I found and posted the clip right after I asked the question. I remembered it from TE2. Such a cute guy.

I wanted to go see Outside Mullingar but I couldn't justify the price.

I saw it for free, I volunteer usher at MTC.  It was a cute play - well acted and sort of a happier ending companion piece to "The Cripple of Inishmaan." 

I thought there were too many unnecessary production numbers - could've done without "For Good", Finding Neverland, Les Miz and even Sting, who I've always liked, but that song was boring and what was with his Irish accent? 

Was happy that "Twelfth Night" won costume design (since they stuck to Shakespeare era design constrictions (no zippers)) and Mark Rylance won his third Tony.  I was kind of pulling for Reed Birney to win though, he was excellent (and nasty) in Casa Valentina.

I just got back from seeing After Midnight (I went out for an early dinner). It was a ton of fun. I can see why it got a nomination for best musical and I can see why it didn't win. There is so much talent up on that stage. Patti Labelle is the headliner right now but the rest of the cast is also fabulous. The women's voices are all fierce and flawless. But it's not a story. I don't care if there are spoken portions in between the songs. There is no narrative. There's not a lot of creativity aside from the musical arrangements. It's your basic musical revue. Also, there are little issues here and there. I'm not sure if it's because I saw a matinee (and they were saving it up for the evening show) but I noticed little mistakes. There's this part where the male dancers have to be perfectly in sync and they're not. There was always someone in the line of 4 or 5 guys who was not in time with the rest of them (and it was always someone different so it wasn't just like one weak link... or obvious enough to be intentional). Also, another problem with a revue vs. a narrative is that you get invested in a narrative while a revue is constantly losing you and winning you back with each song. Also, no intermission which is a bit crazy. But it was fun. If you're looking for something to see after you've seen the show you really want to see or you'd just prefer a concert to a show, it's a fabulous time. Again, an insane amount of talent is on that stage. The musicians are on point. The clarinet is smooth and cool, the trumpet is bright and brassy. I hate when musicians are off and these guys were really bringing it. No slackers. Some of the singing in this show... shivers. Fa-law-less.

So as not to have millions of threads for the same event yearly, I am trying this. This post will be the standing post for all current and future Tony telecasts!

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

• Love 4

I had to use Google to find it because the on-site Search didn't help and I didn't spot it when checking Everything Else TV forum, which is where I expected to see it. Anyway, it has years since I went to a Broadway show but I still watch this show every year because it's fun.

• Love 1

@ABay I try to keep the Theatre Talk thread updated. Check us out sometime! :)

Anyway, clearly I'm home from work. I've got NY1 on. There's no way I could keep up with multiple livestreams so I'll just let you keep me updated on what's going on elsewhere.

Green Zac Posen on Annaleigh Ashford. I love that bright shade of green on her. For some reason that bright green always makes me think Little Shop of Horrors. I can't really see the whole dress. I'd like to see her in something in the future but it probably won't be Sylvia (the play she has coming up where she plays a dog).

I found the Tony livestream to watch during commercials or boring parts on NY1. I don't like the neckline on Laura Osnes' dress. The sheer black fabric looks cheap.

I like Sierra Boggess' white dress for someone who is an interviewer and not an attendee. 

That green necklace though... Not good.

I forgot that Elisabeth Moss was nominated for Heidi. I don't think I ever really had any intention of seeing that play. I appreciate that she went for such a colorful dress. 

Andy Karl seems nice but I really don't think he should win the Tony tonight. His part in OTTC is so underwritten. After that duet it just falls apart. 

WHAT is Helen Mirren wearing? Boo to those sleeves.

Not into the lace on Judith Light's dress. It looks moth eaten.

Sydney Lucas looks adorable. And Judy Kuhn looks so much like she could be her mom.

Judy's dress doesn't really say "I think I'm going to win a Tony"

It is VERY noisy at the Tony's this year. How much press do they have on the red carpet? I want a better look at Beth Malone's dress.

Do not come back to Broadway Harry Connick Jr.

So Jennifer Grey has a new Netflix show. If it's not clear, my head is spinning from trying to follow the red carpet in two places.

Yay, Chita! I agree that people should dress up for the theatre.

Did Zac Posen use the same green fabric for Annaleigh Ashford and Bernadette Peters?

Grrr... I wanted to see Laura Michelle Kelly's red dress. The glimpse I got looked fantastic.

Why does Debra Messing keep wearing her hair like that? Who is telling her that it looks good? Also, is The Mysteries of Laura still going? That's the real unsolved mystery.

I love how "trends" are just all the colors. 

Yup, Laura Michelle Kelly looks great. Lots of Zac Posen ladies tonight.

I like Jennifer Grey's dress but I don't like it on her. I think the dress with the hair and makeup feels dull. Oh, also it's an Amazon show, not a Netflix show.

Patricia Clarkson looks fine but black and red seems a little dour for spring/summer. 

The Tony's red carpet seems less flighty than the west coast ones (Oscar's, Emmy's, etc.) but occasionally they seem to flounder and fall apart. I guess they don't prep for each person equally.

Guys, hosting and presenting are not the same words.

Sierra Boggess has so much energy. In a good way and a bad way.

Someone's wearing a big blue gown. I will have to track it down later.

I haven't seen An American in Paris so I don't want to say that Robert Fairchild doesn't deserve to win but I have to think he's mainly nominated for the dancing and not the acting and singing.

Darren's pretty quick. He falls back on vague questions at times but for the most part he seems to doing quite well.

Leanne Cope looks very pretty but I'm not sure if I like the way the dress lengthens her waist.

OK, so the remote was taken away so I'm only watching the livestream. They're showing this different interview segment. I can tell because Alex Sharp is wearing a black jacket and he's wearing a white jacket for the Tony's. But anyway, Ruthie Ann Miles' dress is gorgeous for this non-Tony event.

What awful, shapeless thing is Carey Mulligan wearing?

Oh, lord, I think Sierra's falling apart.

Ha, Matthew Morrison. Don't be silly. No one did homework on Glee.

Is Sutton Foster's dress brown?

I need to catch up on Younger. I'm so behind.

aarrggh. Of course the Tony's are on Sunday, a night that's already glutted with too much good tv. (Game of Thrones, Veep, Nurse Jackie, Classic Columbo, Call the Midwife (oh, that's over)).  Wish the channels would spread things out so the rest of the week wasn't such a wasteland.

Vanessa Hudgens went for a very lovely summery choice.

I love the matching lipstick also.

Oh, no. Christian's great but I am not a fan of mid-show standing ovations. That seems so much more about the audience wanting attention than the performers.

I finally got a chance to see Kristin Chenoweth's silver gown. The fabric looks beautiful and it fits very well but it reminds me of the OTTC costumes. I don't think the design is actually all that great.

I'm glad they're highlighting the Excellence in Teaching Award on the livestream. I hope they include something on the actual broadcast.

So what are the chances that they don't do a take off Wilkommen to start the broadcast?

Oh, lord. Stop with the tweeting and social media. WE WERE DOING SO WELL!