Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It is live on my TV now, but when you get to see it, it will be recorded.  At least I don't think they'll do it again live.  And really, it's lovely, but it's a variety show, so not live should be just as enjoyable.  

I didn't see the awards part, but I read they opened with "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray.  

The opening of the concert part was Leslie Odom Jr singing and dancing his way into the theatre from the street.  It was fun.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It is live on my TV now, but when you get to see it, it will be recorded.  At least I don't think they'll do it again live.  And really, it's lovely, but it's a variety show, so not live should be just as enjoyable.  

I have no problem seeing a taped show. But it's a two hour show so I was afraid I won't get to see the first hour. Like "We now return to regularly scheduled programming" situation. 

But it's on how and looks like they are showing it from the beginning.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bosawks said:

Chita must have a portrait in her attic.

She is amazing.

9 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Well, dang, I kinda want to see Tina after that.

FYI, Adrienne is only in the show for another month, so you'll need to do it soon. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

ooooo... when and where is that happening?

Classic Stage Company, starts 11/2 and tickets on sale 10/5.

I kept my tickets from the canceled Spring of 2020 run.

Crazy cast:  Judy Kuhn, Ethan Slater, Will Swenson, Steven Pasquale, Brandon Uranowitz….

ETA:  and as tradition dictates from me “Judy Kuhn was robbed!”

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Classic Stage Company, starts 11/2 and tickets on sale 10/5.

I kept my tickets from the canceled Spring of 2020 run.

Crazy cast:  Judy Kuhn, Ethan Slater, Will Swenson, Steven Pasquale, Brandon Uranowitz….

That is an incredible cast!  I have a friend who hates John Doyle directed shows, so I'll be interested to hear what you think.  Unfortunately, this will close before I'm even contemplating traveling again.  

And yes, "Judy Kuhn was robbed!" 

As for this show, I enjoyed it a lot.  I thought the last few duets were (mostly) stunning and the FLS number at the end was fun.  I didn't like not being able to see the awards, but the concert was really good. 

• Love 2

No, she wasn't wearing green stockings, it was the lighting.

I really appreciated the audience wearing masks.

The show was good but not the commercial for broadway that I thought it would be.  It was a lot of old theater people singing broadway songs from a different era.  Like a PBS concert  I wish they'd have given us performances from currently (and soon to be) open shows with the choreography and in costumes instead of just giving us performances by the nominated shows.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, bosawks said:

I have no idea what this is referencing, but I wholeheartedly agree. She deserved a much better career than she has had. Watch her performance from Rags at the 1987 Tonys, that last note is KILLER. The fact that she also sang Cosette the same night only adds to my admiration of her.

So, I never saw Hairspray with the original cast but was Marissa Jaret Winokur always that nasally and off? I was cringing through her solo part and it really messed up the harmonies for when the group sang together. 

Audra = Icon - do not argue with me on this, you will not win 😈

The Tony Awards Presents: Broadway's Back got 1 WGA Awards nomination (the 2022 WGA Awards are scheduled to take place Sunday, March 20)...

2022 Writers Guild Awards Nominees
TELEVISION, NEW MEDIA, AND NEWS NOMINEES

WGA   January 13, 2022
https://awards.wga.org/awards/nominees-winners

COMEDY/VARIETY SPECIALS

43rd Annual Kennedy Center Honors, Written by Dave Boone; CBS

Drew Michael: Red Blue Green, Written by Drew Michael; HBO/HBO Max

Full Frontal Wants to Take Your Guns, Head Writers: Kristen Bartlett, Mike Drucker Writers: Samantha Bee, Pat Cassels, Sean Crespo, Mike Drucker, Miles Kahn, Chris Thompson, Holly Walker, Alison Zeidman Writing Supervised by Joe Grossman, Sahar Rizvi Special Material by Michael Rhoa; TBS

The Tony Awards Presents: Broadway’s Back!, Written by Dave Boone Special Material by Amber Ruffin, Marc Shaiman, Daniel J. Watts, Scott Wittman Opening Number by Amber Ruffin, Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman; CBS

Yearly Departed, Head Writer: Bess Kalb Writers: Karen Chee, Akilah Green, Franchesca Ramsey, Jocelyn Richard; Prime Video

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Nominations for 2022 were announced today (text only list, Deadline; interactive list with photos on TonyAwards.com).  The ceremony will be on June 12th.

Here's the list of best musicals and plays, along with lead actor/actress noms:

Best Musical

• Girl From The North Country
  • MJ
  • Mr. Saturday Night
  • Paradise Square
  • SIX: The Musical
  • A Strange Loop

Best Play

• Clyde’s
  • Hangmen
  • The Lehman Trilogy
  • The Minutes
  • Skeleton Crew

Best Revival of a Musical

• Caroline, or Change
  • Company
  • The Music Man

Best Revival of a Play

• American Buffalo
  • for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf
  • How I Learned to Drive
  • Take Me Out
  • Trouble in Mind

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play

• Gabby Beans, The Skin of Our Teeth
  • LaChanze, Trouble in Mind
  • Ruth Negga, Macbeth
  • Deirdre O’Connell, Dana H.
  • Mary-Louise Parker, How I Learned to Drive

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play

• Simon Russell Beale, The Lehman Trilogy
  • Adam Godley, The Lehman Trilogy
  • Adrian Lester, The Lehman Trilogy
  • David Morse, How I Learned to Drive
  • Sam Rockwell, American Buffalo
  • Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Lackawanna Blues
  • David Threlfall, Hangmen

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical

• Sharon D Clarke, Caroline, or Change
  • Carmen Cusack, Flying Over Sunset
  • Sutton Foster, The Music Man
  • Joaquina Kalukango, Paradise Square
  • Mare Winningham, Girl From The North Country

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical

• Billy Crystal, Mr. Saturday Night
  • Myles Frost, MJ
  • Hugh Jackman, The Music Man
  • Rob McClure, Mrs. Doubtfire
  • Jaquel Spivey, A Strange Loop
Edited by Just Here
formatting
  • Love 1

I refuse to get Paramount+ 

It's been difficult to make predictions this year as everything is forecasting a small group of voters having seen all the eligible nominees and there are compelling narratives for the top shows (A Strange Loop, Six, MJ, Girl from the North Country). I'm rooting for A Strange Loop as the most laudable show in what is still a weak season. I don't know if things will recover by next season but the programming has still shown the effects of covid. 

I'm worried by MJ picking up Choreography, Sound Design, and Lighting Design and Six taking Original Score and Costume Design. The visual elements are not the strongest parts of A Strange Loop but we could always have one of those "popular" show years

• Like 1
Just now, Constant Viewer said:

My unpopular musical opinion is that I do not care for the Music Man. I don't know why, I just don't care for it.

I like it a lot. But Hugh Jackman isn't it as Harold Hill. You sort of need someone who looks more ragged and like he's been through it. Hugh is too good-looking and charming. 

• Like 2

I'm a little behind because I got out of the shower late.

• I didn't care for the opening number; Ariana DuBose needs to enunciate when she sings, I couldn't understand most of what she was saying.
  • I can't pinpoint just why I don't like Hugh Jackman as Harold Hill, but it's not working for me.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Popples said:

I didn't care for the opening number; Ariana DuBose needs to enunciate when she sings, I couldn't understand most of what she was saying.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is less-than-enthralled by her. She was cast in, like, every musical project last year and I just...don't...get it.

• Like 1
Just now, Browncoat said:

I adore Billy Crystal, though.  He's doing great.

I'm surprised I enjoyed that as much as I did.

Still don't want to see the show.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

I wish Billy Crystal did double duty and hosted. Sorry but Ariana doesn't have the big over-the-top personality of a host. They need someone to get the audience going.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

The opening number was a hot mess. I know it was mostly 30 second song snippets, but if the people from Six win an Emmy for that, it'll be a travesty. It was Ariana's inability to enunciate and also the chaos and speed of the medley. She was treated like a soundboard and not an actual human.

• Like 1
  • Love 1