Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ok Stephanie J. Block is fantastic but this is more a Lifetime Achievement Award. 

It's also a weak year. Kelli and Beth have already won. Caitlyn and Eva are a bit too young and as far as I know, they have pretty shallow ingenue parts. It makes sense to award the veteran performer instead.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have to say that I was underwhelmed.  The live performances did not make me want to see the musicals.  I felt meh the whole night and stopped watching right after The Ferrymen won because I realized I didn’t care and had spent most of the telecast on my phone.  Extremely disappointing.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I have to say that I was underwhelmed.  The live performances did not make me want to see the musicals.  I felt meh the whole night and stopped watching right after The Ferrymen won because I realized I didn’t care beyond that.  Extremely disappointing.

Oh. 

Edited by freddi
50 minutes ago, lovett1979 said:

The conception of the production is how one might stage this show if you had never seen it before or knew anything about it. Just looking at the text, with a 2019 eye, what is this story about, really.

I don't see it as so obvious from what I recall of the story in other productions, but I will give it a read to refresh my memory.

The info posted in this thread does not make regret we passed on this.

46 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Seriously, the puppet is incredible.

It is the one single part of the production that would make me recommend it, for those who are interested by a demonstration of technical virtuosity; it is more expressive than the atrocious combination of man in a suit/eletromechanical effects of the 70s movie version, but not as expressive as stop-motion Kong from the 30s. I found the rest of the production forgettable, sacrificed in service to the spectacle of the beast.

Each year during the "In Memoriam" montage I am astonished that I missed at least half of those deaths during the past year.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised that The Prom and What the Constitution Means to Me went home empty handed but I am surprised that the vocal response in the theater didn't materialize into anything.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, SilverShadow said:

Congrats Hadestown! I'm happy it pulled out a win over the directly adapted from movies properties. 

2 nominees were based on movies

1 nominee was a bio-jukebox musical

1 nominee was based on Greek mythology

1 nominee was loosely inspired by actual events

2 minutes ago, freddi said:

Thank you!  Closer to the end?  Very helpful to know!  

I'm pretty sure it was in the first half.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Okay I kind of loved that bathroom song bit, but only because anything that Sara Bareilles is in cannot be wrong. 

That's probably the bit I liked the most.  Of the musical performances I hadn't seen before (so minus Tootsie and Oklahoma), I liked Choir Boy the best...and that's a play.  Ha. 

Hadestown's choice confused me.  I've seen more engaging songs from that show.

I adored Rachel Chavkin's speech.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

Anyone see What the Constitution Means to Me?

I’m intrigued.

I saw it at Berkeley Rep last year and I had mixed feelings about it. The first part was definitely stronger because it's the written and rehearsed portion of the show. For the last part of the performance, she brought out a local speech and debate club kid and they did an actual debate. While I totally appreciate it in theory (and I understand how it fits into the context of the rest of the show), I went to see a play, not a teenage kid do a mock debate. I had friends on the debate team in high school and I chose not to go to their competitions for a reason!

• Love 4

I wasn't blown away by any of the musical numbers and unfortunately can't say that any inspired me to rush out and buy tickets. 

I thought that James did a good job but I really loved the team of Josh and Sara last year and hope that they are chosen again next year. Liked the bit in the bathroom with NPH too. 

• Love 2

It's a little late but I forgot to add my yearly rant of, "Judy Kuhn was robbed!  Robbed I say!"

I know she's doing Fiddler in  London and couldn't be nominated but why let facts stand in the way of a good rant.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, irisheyes said:

What has Kristin Chenoweth done to herself?  I’m trying to figure out if it’s too much tan, bad plastic surgery, or receding hairline. 

I have KC issues under the best of circumstances, but I couldn't even look at her last night.  

9 hours ago, bosawks said:

Looks like that regional theatre backlash is taking a toll on To Kill a Mockingbird. 

That's a shame.  I haven't seen any of the performances, but Jeff Daniels is a spectacular actor.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:
9 hours ago, bosawks said:

Looks like that regional theatre backlash is taking a toll on To Kill a Mockingbird. 

That's a shame.  I haven't seen any of the performances, but Jeff Daniels is a spectacular actor.

And I thought Scott Rudin settled it all by giving those regional theatres license to perform the new version of TKAM.  Pretty ridiculous reason to diss Sorkin and Jeff and the play itself.

8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Okay I kind of loved that bathroom song bit, but only because anything that Sara Bareilles is in cannot be wrong. 

I did like that scene and yes Sara is wonderful, but I am sad we didn't get to see Judith Light and Terence McNally's speeches because of these bits. Maybe if they had made the intro 20 minutes shorter (it felt an hour long). Although I was on the floor laughing at the "fight" between Laura and Audra.

I need to see Hadestown. Seeing the Prom later this summer. Tootsie was better than the movie and was one of those musicals that depends on a strong lead to carry it (i.e., Evan Hanson, Hello Dolly). So, I'm good with Santino winning. Beetlejuice was very crude but pretty good and takes a different turn from the movie in spots. Oklahoma was good and weird and I'm glad it got some love - I saw it over a month ago and still think about it.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mtlchick said:

But the only word I can use to describe Ain’t Too Proud’s performance was MANIC, which is not a word to use on the Temptations. 

Exactly.  The Temptations were known for their smooth dance steps--not that manic performance in the musical.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

But the only word I can use to describe Ain’t Too Proud’s performance was MANIC, which is not a word to use on the Temptations. 

Exactly.  The Temptations were known for their smooth dance steps--not that manic performance in the musical.

Yes!  And I don’t remember the Temptations being that hard to understand.  I started to sing a little of the lyrics and then stopped because I wasn’t sure if the musical had changed them and I had no idea what people were actually saying.  Was it a microphone issue (at the first commercial James’ mic was off and there was another spot that seemed to have competing mics) or bad diction due to un-Temptation-like dance moves?

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Was it a microphone issue (at the first commercial James’ mic was off and there was another spot that seemed to have competing mics) or bad diction due to un-Temptation-like dance moves?

I think it was the latter reason, because they were so hyper that it was hard to sing and dance at the same time.   I guess Otis Williams was involved some way in the production?  If so, I'm curious about what he thought about the choreography.

5 hours ago, xander874 said:

I did like that scene and yes Sara is wonderful, but I am sad we didn't get to see Judith Light and Terence McNally's speeches because of these bits. 

In case you didn’t watch these online:

Judith Light:

Terrance McNally:

Harold Wheeler:

Rosemary Harris:

Marin Mazzie:

• Love 6
9 hours ago, xander874 said:

Tootsie was better than the movie and was one of those musicals that depends on a strong lead to carry it (i.e., Evan Hanson, Hello Dolly). 

I originally thought the same thing about Wicked and assumed it wouldn’t survive after Idina and Cheno left, but I freely admit that I was wrong!

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I originally thought the same thing about Wicked and assumed it wouldn’t survive after Idina and Cheno left, but I freely admit that I was wrong!

Did the actor who played the roommate win a Tony for best supporting actor in a musical? If he didn't, he should have! I've seldom seen a funnier and more naturalistic performance.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Did the actor who played the roommate win a Tony for best supporting actor in a musical? If he didn't, he should have! I've seldom seen a funnier and more naturalistic performance.

Nope but he was great.  The supporting cast was all great.  I agree you need a good lead but I actually think the book/script is pretty strong overall.  It's better than the music IMO.  There's a reason it was the show's other big win after Santino.

As I said in my review in the theater thread, you could remove the music and still have an terrific comedy worth paying for left over.

(edited)

I missed her acceptance speech and am trying to find a clip.  I didn't know what had happened to her.  I recall her as a contestant (runner up) on the second season of Ryan Murphy's show The Glee Project.  I thought she was so talented then.  It's nice that her dreams have come true

https://people.com/theater/tony-awards-2019-glee-project-ali-stroker-wins-tony-award-oklahoma-revival/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I missed her acceptance speech and am trying to find a clip.  I didn't know what had happened to her.  I recall her as a contestant (runner up) on the second season of Ryan Murphy's show The Glee Project.  I thought she was so talented then.  It's nice that her dreams have come true

FYI - I posted all the acceptance speeches in the theater thread. Here's Ali's:

• Love 1

The only disappointing part of her win was that she had to be backstage because they couldn’t be bothered to build a ramp that would allow her to sit with everyone else and get to the stage like everyone else.

• Love 5
On 6/9/2019 at 11:34 PM, lovett1979 said:

2 nominees were based on movies

1 nominee was a bio-jukebox musical

1 nominee was based on Greek mythology

1 nominee was loosely inspired by actual events

I'm pretty sure it was in the first half.

I am aware. I meant specifically I was happy that it won rather than one of those two. (Though I don't love bio-jukebox musicals either and I found the Prom's score to be only so-so.)

On 6/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I saw Wicked after Idina/Kristin left and thought that the actress I’d never heard of playing Galinda had to be every bit as good as Chenoweth. Reader, it was Megan Hilty. 

• Love 7
On 6/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, Babalu said:

I saw Wicked after Idina/Kristin left and thought that the actress I’d never heard of playing Galinda had to be every bit as good as Chenoweth. Reader, it was Megan Hilty. 

I got to see Megan too! Of the first three Glindas (though I never saw the other two live, only in promo performances) she was my favorite by far. IMO she was the best at balancing the comedy with the more emotional parts. I didn't love Shoshana Bean as Elphaba, however.

After a few days to let it sink in Beetlejucie and Hadestown are still the two shows I want to see more of, based off their performances.

• Love 2

The amount of people not there tonight has really helped with the length problem. 

On the other hand, what is up with these performances that have nothing to do with what's currently on or coming up Broadway? I mean, I know there a concert at the end but can't that just be for the shows that either have been on Broadway multiple years or didn't get to open before covid shut them down? 

3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Late running football game.  I believe I read that it will start at 9:54 Eastern Time if your market had the game. 

Thanks. They better show the whole thing. I'm sick of sports running late and I'm sick of theater being treated like crap compared to other award shows.

• Love 2
Just now, Snow Apple said:

Thanks. They better show the whole thing. I'm sick of sports running late and I'm sick of theater being treated like crap compared to other award shows.

Agree.  I'm pretty sure it will be shown in its entirety since that's what they always do during football season.  And the Tonys have never had to deal with this because they usually happen in June.  Hopefully, this won't ever be the case again. 

The show is pretty good so far. 

2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Agree.  I'm pretty sure it will be shown in its entirety since that's what they always do during football season.  And the Tonys have never had to deal with this because they usually happen in June.  Hopefully, this won't ever be the case again. 

The show is pretty good so far. 

Isn't part of it live though? It's not like showing a pre-taped sitcom. I guess we'll have to wait and see.