Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Aw, guys. I know people don't like your score but it's sad that you had to open with Eye of the Tiger. Oh, so they didn't include like any of the original score, did they?

Edited by aradia22

Saw If/Then in DC.  Not all that good.  But she's killing it with this song tonight.

Saw If/Then in April on Broadway.  Definitely not my favorite show.  The reviews weren't great either.  I took my daughter with me.  We are big fans of Wicked.  I never saw the original cast.  I think in Idina was not if If/Then, I would have skipped it.

Aw, guys. I know people don't like your score but it's sad that you had to open with Eye of the Tiger. Oh, so they didn't include like any of the original score, did they?

Because they are trying to get people to go see it...

• Love 1

Best end of the speech ever?

Because they are trying to get people to go see it...

Oh my God, lady. I love you. You know you have to come see me when you visit the city, right?

I'm sad that Danny Burstein didn't win.

Best end of the speech ever?

Oh my God, lady. I love you. You know you have to come see me when you visit the city, right?

Yes!!  We will definitely have to go for a cocktail or two!!

• Love 1

I was thinking it would go to CKB. Nothing against Sophie. I haven't seen either show. Because you know, not going to pay for a play.

Totally get that.  I'm a musicals girl myself, although I do love me some good drama.

Got to meet Jefferson Mays at the theatre where I worked when he was doing I Am My Own Wife.  He's an incredible talent and a nice person.

(edited)

So this Gentleman's Guide is a musical version of Kind Hearts and Coronets. I'm sure the guy's a fine actor but no one out Guinesses Alec.

Edited by ABay

Still waiting on the West Coast -- has the "Cabaret" scene already happened?  Want to get home in time for it, even though it set to record. 

I'm still not sure about Gentleman's Guide.  I think I'd see it before I'd see Once, but ... I'm still not convinced.

Dying of laughter. Yeah, still no desire to see Once. The Tony performance made my ears bleed.

jjj: Yeah. They did Willkommen like they always do. 

WTF? Sutton has a new show? I didn't hear anything about it during the upfronts... Oh, it's on TVland. Oh. Oh, Sutton. Oh, damn it I think I'm going to have to watch this. "Younger", huh? Well, I guess it's better than Cougartown. The things I do for Broadway actors. I watched The Playboy Club for Laura Benanti.

Still waiting on the West Coast -- has the "Cabaret" scene already happened?  Want to get home in time for it, even though it set to record. 

Happened right around 9pm.  Someone on BroadwayWorld said it was so anyone tuning in for Good Wife wouldn't turn the channel...

I worship this woman.

Saw her in Twelfth Night. I took a picture with her without the flash and then ran down the line and she was so sweet about taking the photo again. Will was there waiting for her. 

Saw her in Twelfth Night. I took a picture with her without the flash and then ran down the line and she was so sweet about taking the photo again. Will was there waiting for her. 

Saw Porgy and Bess.  Had tears running down my face during I Loves You Porgy.  Perfection

• Love 1

Act One has gotten very weak reviews, particularly for the book.

Have to say I was surprised it was nominated after reading the reviews and hearing what some people said.  I'm pulling for Harvey...just because.

So... no female playwrights. 

I wanted to go see Outside Mullingar but I couldn't justify the price.

Started bouncing in my chair to Razzle Dazzle.

My first Broadway show.  With Gwen, Chita and Jerry.

• Love 1

Violet sounds so good. And I really want to try and see it soon. But it annoys me that she doesn't actually have a scar.

Wait... I swear one of the women in the chorus for Violet was my choir teacher in college.

OMG, my friend just posted on facebook. It was my choir teacher.

Woot, JRB shout out to women in theatre.

Oh, Lord. Bored out of my mind. This is doing the opposite of selling The Last Ship to me.

• Love 3

NYT: If gospel music hadn't been invented, the Tony broadcast would be 35 minutes long.

Ha!

And Sting... a nice guy.  Don't know if I want to see this show, though

Raisin - wow.  That's a surprise. 

(edited)

WTF, I didn't think they'd seriously do a Wicked performance again. I wish Lindsay was still doing it so she could have done the Tony performance. Also, Alli Mauzey.

Edited by aradia22

WTF? Like, what in the holy hell?

I thought they were going to go into Holler If Ya Hear Me. What in the love of God is this?

I'm oddly captivated by this.

So NPH has won his Tony.  Will he please come back next year and host?  Please??

• Love 3

They clearly love NPH. They didn't start playing the music until he was almost done.

Look, Jessie is adorable and she has the Seth Rudetsky stamp of approval but she doesn't sound a damn thing like Carole King.

They clearly love NPH. They didn't start playing the music until he was almost done.

Look, Jessie is adorable and she has the Seth Rudetsky stamp of approval but she doesn't sound a damn thing like Carole King.

But she gets the essence.  And the Carole King singing cameo was the worst kept secret of the night.

I loved it

The performance makes me wanna listen to Tapestry, not see this musical.

I think that's part of what they're going for.  You're looking for a show to see.  You don't recognize a lot of stuff.  Then you see "Carole King" and you think - familiar!  

I was initially not interested, but I've read really good things about the show.  At this point, I won't go out of my way to get there, but I wouldn't say no if someone suggested it.

I mean, have fun, it's Tony night but WTF is Kate Mara wearing? And why are she and Kevin Bacon even there?

They are TV stars!  Although I'm not sure why she is.  (not trying to be catty, just don't get her)

Did that make anyone want to see Bullets over Broadway? I was expecting some showgirls. Though I kind of get all the Nick Cordero love now. Very solid job. I have heard one audience rave over Bullets but the rest of the word of mouth has been underwhelming.

Did that make anyone want to see Bullets over Broadway? I was expecting some showgirls. Though I kind of get all the Nick Cordero love now. Very solid job. I have heard one audience rave over Bullets but the rest of the word of mouth has been underwhelming.

No, unfortunately.  I love the music (although I think they might have done better with an original score).  The number was fine and Nick Cordero was stunning.  And I like Zach Braff.  But... not enough for me to shell out the bucks.