Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Here's hoping others will join in celebrating the Tonys here next Sunday, June 8.

Television connections?  Alan Cumming (Eli from "Good WIfe") singing his amazing, scorching interpretation of the Master of Ceremonies in "Cabaret"; Neil Patrick Harris singing his starring glittery role in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", and a whole lot of theatre folk who know how to pronounce "Idina Menzel", who also will be singing.  I love being able to see scenes from Broadway productions in this awards show. 

Alas, I won't get to see it until it airs on the West Coast three hours later, but I will be glued to this thread to find out when the highlights are happening. 

• Love 1

Any predictions for those of us not in NYC?    I guessing Audra McDonald is a shoo-in once again, but isn't her show really a musical instead of a play?

Her show is a play with music.  I haven't seen it, but I've heard that although it's a weak script, Audra has totally transformed herself into Billie Holiday.  It's only running until early August so  I need to make a real effort to get there in July.  Gotta be July (or August) in NY...or else the hotels are unaffordable!

• Love 1

Thank you, Kromm!  I did not have time to track down that Oscar award show mis-performance.  I never know who is going to win the Tonys, so everything is a surprise to me. 

(edited)

Is anyone watching the red carpet on NY1? The reporters are putting Ryan Seacrest to shame. They genuinely know a lot about the people nominated and the shows. Very little focus on the clothes but then generally no one wears anything that spectacular to the Tony's anyway.

Edited by aradia22

Is anyone watching the red carpet on NY1? The reporters are putting Ryan Seacrest to shame. They genuinely know a lot about the people nominated and the shows. Very little focus on the clothes but then generally no one wears anything that spectacular to the Tony's anyway.

That's the show that's streaming on tonyawards.com.  I think I was initially put off by the woman interviewing the people watching the show in Times Square.  The red carpet reporter is actually quite good.  Loved the interview with Kelli O'Hara and the one just finished with Jefferson Mays!

OK, there was really no reason for them to interview Jonathan Groff but he is adorable in his tux. Frank (the interviewer) is getting so sweaty. Stephanie Simon from Times Square is a bit of the mess. That's definitely the Kelly Osbourne/Ross Matthews part of the show.

Ooo, I might try and see some shows this month to get one of those "pride" Playbills. I don't really getting standing on the opposite sidewalk to spot the stars. It's different with theater and film. If you go to the Stage Door you can generally meet all the actors (unless they skip it). I got the chance to talk to Jonathan after his concert at 92Y and I just met Hamish Linklater and Lily Rabe after Twelfth Night last night (sadly Brian Stokes Mitchell skipped the stage door).

How 'bout that Fran Drescher?  She looks good... But really, her assistant went to see Violet because she's exhausted?    Bless her heart.

aradia22, I'd love to be able to get to some shows this month...and next month...and the month after!  Unfortunately, I don't get to NY more than a couple times a year.  Enjoy all the theatre you possibly can!

I worked the stage door here in DC for 35ish years.  The best job ever in history!!

• Love 1

Frank needs to think of an adjective that's not "amazing." 

It's so funny. I still associate Lena Hall with her original name, Celina Carvajal and her time on that Legally Blonde reality show for MTV.

(edited)

8 shows in 5 days... sounds like my trips to NY back in the day, when tickets were somewhat affordable.  (In reference to one of the women being interviewed in Times Square...didn't just pull that out of my ass)

Edited by ebk57

I think Kelli O'Hara, Lena, and Sutton have had the best dresses so far but it's hard to tell. The camera guy seriously does not give a carp about panning down to show the dresses.

aradia22, I'd love to be able to get to some shows this month...and next month...and the month after!  Unfortunately, I don't get to NY more than a couple times a year.  Enjoy all the theatre you possibly can!

I'm in the city but I'm still not able to see all the shows I'd like to. I wish I had a job reviewing shows. It's just too damn expensive to go out and see everything much as I would like to take a chance on more shows. Kicking myself that I didn't see Bridges with so many people loving it.

I think Kelli O'Hara, Lena, and Sutton have had the best dresses so far but it's hard to tell. The camera guy seriously does not give a carp about panning down to show the dresses.

I'm in the city but I'm still not able to see all the shows I'd like to. I wish I had a job reviewing shows. It's just too damn expensive to go out and see everything much as I would like to take a chance on more shows. Kicking myself that I didn't see Bridges with so many people loving it.

I can't say I've noticed many dresses because the interviews have been pretty engaging.  That said, Idina looks great!  

I'm really grateful that I'm a cranky old lady because when I was going up to the city every month in my formative years, tickets were way less expensive and standing room was actually cheap.  

Saw Daniel Radcliff in How to Succeed.  I've not seen one second of a Harry Potter movie, but I fell in love with him because although he's not the most talented song and dance man, he infused the evening with such joy it was a real pleasure to watch him.  I'd love to see him in Cripple, but I just don't think I'll get there.

(edited)

Aw, Rebecca and Danny! She was also in that concert at 92Y. I only talked to her for a minute or two but she was so sweet. And her voice is still fabulous. 

Edited: Oh, she does have a new show! I hope Little Dancer is good so I can justify seeing it. The music for Rocky (also Ahrens and Flaherty) is a  little err...

I'm really grateful that I'm a cranky old lady because when I was going up to the city every month in my formative years, tickets were way less expensive and standing room was actually cheap.

My dad has told me stories. I'm so jealous.

Oh, and Idina does look fabulous. 

Edited by aradia22

I think Anika looks better than Jessie does. That dress washes her out and I don't think it really does anything for her body.

I love theatre people. Always ready to sing with no complaints.

• Love 1

I think Anika looks better than Jessie does. That dress washes her out and I don't think it really does anything for her body.

I love theatre people. Always ready to sing with no complaints.

They are amazing (to use an overexposed word!)

Is there a live stream of the awards being given now?  The one I was watching stopped at 7:30.

Love James Inglehart's sparkly lapels. Rebecca Luker seemed to think James would take the Tony.

Not sure, I'm watching on the TV and still playing catch up (I had to go out and walk my dog).

I don't have access to NY1 but am here to snark on the main show once it starts. It's my Emmy warm up.

Gotta keep those award show muscles toned :-)

(edited)

Impressive stamina, Hugh. Not as impressive as the industrial strength spandex on these gals, but impressive.

ETA: Dule?!

Edited by ABay

I still think he has ugly vowels. We got minutes of hopping, 30 seconds of singing, and about 30 seconds of tap. What? What kind of a cockamamie opening number is that? But I really want to see After Midnight.

I still think he has ugly vowels. We got minutes of hopping, 30 seconds of singing, and about 30 seconds of tap. What? What kind of a cockamamie opening number is that? But I really want to see After Midnight.

This.  So it's worked out for After Midnight...

• Love 1

Ugh, the Eponine is terrible. She's killing it. In the bad way.

Yay for Andy Mientus though. He was so wasted on Smash

Wasn't everyone?  That show made me want to cry all the time.

And look - it's Les Miz.  One day more...  I can't with that show anymore.

• Love 1

I love Will Swenson. I saw him in Hair. But I couldn't bring myself to see his off-Broadway murder show... I forget the name of it and I don't think I'll be seeing this Les Miz. Better than the movie version though.

Mom jokes: While Hugh Jackman was hopping... "Is he trying to be a kangaroo?"

• Love 1
(edited)

Looks like it's very warm in the theatre: Tony and what's her name look very shiny.

OMG that dress is going to fall off. The only thing keeping it up is Standards and Practices.

Edited by ABay

Oh, good. Leighton looks normal today. I will love her forever for Blair Waldorf but her awards fashion is often crazypants.

Looks like it's very warm in the theatre: Tony and what's her name look very shiny.

It might be the lights.

Aw, Lena's speech was very cute. I never thought someone from that Legally Blonde reality show would win a Tony. I wonder if Seth will give her a shoutout.

Lucy Liu's dress is kind of weird but I like it.

The Aladdin number is a lot of fun. A ton of old-fashioned Broadway flair. I'm going to try and see it with my best friend when she comes back from her summer internship.

Lols at the behind the scenes thing with Clint Eastwood. It's good that he can still laugh at himself.

Will Holler If You Hear Me be terrible or wonderful? I don't know.

How could Lady Day not win sound design? What do they even have to do for the other shows?

Her voice is there today. (Idina has bad days sometimes. Chess, anyone?) But her acting is little... off.