Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: The Last Death of Henry Morgan

Henry and Adam have been on a long, unrelenting collision course, which is about to come to a head – possibly bringing about one man’s death – with only Jo standing in the way. Henry and Jo’s murder investigation into a museum worker’s death centers on a priceless missing ancient dagger, which not only ended the life of Julius Caesar, but also killed Adam the first time. Meanwhile, Adam knows that there is something that Henry fears more than death – that Jo might discover his mystery. The two men tangle in a tumultuous game-changing confrontation. But at long last, will Jo finally learn about Henry’s secret?

Promo:

I fear that this will be the series finale, so I hope at least they give us some closure to the story, and not leave things with a cliffhanger.  It still pains me that Eric Close's character on "Now and Again" 15 years or so ago finally told his wife who he was in the final episode.  Then they went out the backdoor on the run from TPTB to restart their life together and then..... CANCELLED.

On at least two recent failed series the producers were aware their show was going to be cancelled so they were able to alter things and give viewers some closure.  The series that I am thinking of were so bad that I've forgotten their names.  One was about a haunted condo in New York with the youngest brother from Brothers and Sisters, the blonde from the failed Charlie's Angels reboot, and Vanessa Williams.  The other was a submarine show with Pendleton from Homicide Life on the Street, Dichen Lachman, and the dude from Felicity that wasn't Scott Foley.  Both of these series ended in a way that didn't leave us hanging.

I really hope we aren't left in cliffhanger limbo, because from what I am reading, it might not be back.

• Love 1

Well since Denis Haysbert's character was closing in on Eric Close and Margaret Colin at the end, to me it has always been sadly obvious that his minions killed them. It's like the end of Alphas, where everybody but Ryan Cartwright's Gary was dead. What you saw last is what you're left with. If there's no return episode to say, "Just funnin' ya!" they're dead.

Well since Denis Haysbert's character was closing in on Eric Close and Margaret Colin at the end, to me it has always been sadly obvious that his minions killed them. It's like the end of Alphas, where everybody but Ryan Cartwright's Gary was dead. What you saw last is what you're left with. If there's no return episode to say, "Just funnin' ya!" they're dead.

According to the interview on the dvds (yes, Now and Again actually came out on dvd last August, with over 2 hours of brand new BTS stuff), the writers had a plan to set back the status quo by having Heather think her dad was actually a spy with "Mr. Newman" as his partner, and that's why they were chased. Michael would've convinced Dr. Morris that Lisa and Heather had no idea about the truth, and in exchange for letting them go he'd be the best employee they ever had. My heart still hurts that we never got at least a movie to close it, and I really hope this won't be the case with Forever! I love this show way too much.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've seen quite a few shows where the finale was a cliffhanger where a bomb goes off and it looks like the main characters were all killed. Happened on "Once A Thief" and "The Pretender". And then sometimes the writers/showrunners seemed bitter about the cancellation and decided to kill off main characters-- like the last season of Merlin was a huge "fuck you" to the fans, particularly the finale. The end of "Forever Knight" was also depressing as hell.

I'm hoping that the finale leaves it in a spot where we can be satisfied with it ending, but also leaves it open for another season just in case. I mean, even if Henry somehow became mortal again, he would still have his knowledge and might still be able to do his job, but would have to be more careful not to die. He would also have to deal with aging as well.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 2
The end of "Forever Knight" was also depressing as hell.

Speaking of Forever Knight, not only do this show and that one share part of a show name that deals with immortality, both shows also had an episode called (The) Night In Question, minus "The" in FK's case.

• Love 1

Yes, they definitely wrapped things up. And if they do get a second season (please TV Gods, make this happen), season two seems quite early for Jo to know his secret. 

I guess they left themselves some wiggle room. If I saw that photograph, my first thought would be, "Wow, the guy in this old photo looks just like Henry. Must be his grandfather!" not "Wow, the guy in this old photo looks just like Henry. He must be immortal!" They could still have Henry lie his way out of it, I guess.

• Love 4

I guess they left themselves some wiggle room. If I saw that photograph, my first thought would be, "Wow, the guy in this old photo looks just like Henry. Must be his grandfather!" not "Wow, the guy in this old photo looks just like Henry. He must be immortal!" They could still have Henry lie his way out of it, I guess.

It's not just that though, there have been signs that something's been up with Henry for while now from Jo's point of view. He's an expert in all things historical, "like he was there", his general demeanour and lack of knowledge of things someone who is actually the age he looks would know. Besides all that, there is also his investment in Abe's mother, she recognized but didn't understand what was going on with him. Also that wasn't the first time his watch has appeared somewhere is shouldn't be. 

Awe, if this is the end I'm going to miss Abe's particular brand of mischief. He has quite a young soul. I wonder if that characterization was something that was decided or just intuitive. To be his age and living with a parent, I can only imagine how that would keep one young. The tendency to revert back to childlike behaviour in the presence of a parent is hard to fight. The whole scene between Abe and Henry in the basement, when Abe's been sitting as lookout, is made of win.

Abe's: "I had a few bathroom breaks, and then I had lunch with Myron. But other than that I've been a hawk." and the "you're emoting Henry. Continue." Had me burst out laughing.

I think I need to sleep on it, maybe watch it again and then come back and comment on the episode further. I really *really* hope this isn't the end. I like all these characters, and not just the main ones. If this isn't the end I really wonder how they're going to get out of that conclusion,

with Adam

• Love 2
(edited)

If this isn't the end I really wonder how they're going to get out of that conclusion, with Adam.

I wonder if they do want out of the conclusion with Adam. I think the writers felt there needed to be a real threat against Henry -- which mortals are never really going to be -- but Adam was always by far the weakest part of this show for me. The mysterious phone calls and general stalking -- he always felt too cartoonish and moustache-twirling, even after they tried to humanise him with some backstory. As crazy and supernatural as the premise of this show is, Henry (after the first few episodes, anyway) always felt grounded -- his behaviour is human, even if he is kind of super-human. Adam was just too much of a cliched villain for me, and there really is only so many places they can go with that character. 

Still, there does need to be some threat to Henry -- either his life or his secret. I had assumed season 2 (if they got one) would be him trying to keep his secret from Jo, but I guess not now. 

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 3

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I knew it it was NOT the stupid weapon but something else!

If they wanted to close the series, I think Henry really dying would have been that. I am betting stuff that the show will be renewed and that they had two endings made, one in which Henry really dies and this version and because they know it will be renewed, they put this one. :)

Because it makes no sense to make it clear it is not the weapon if the show ends, right?

Honestly... I am a biiiiiiiit meh...

Also, where did the dagger go? And the pool of blood? AND the gun on Adam?
Questions... I haz them. :)

• Love 2

Loved this so much. If it's not back next year I'll be quite sad.

Loved Lucas with his ascot, Hanson the history buff, Abe on guard duty, Lucas taking the dagger for Henry after Jo warned him not too and Abigail's memorial. Those are the sort of character moments that make a show feel real.

As for Jo and Henry, love that they had a real conflict this episode and I totally understood both points of view. I loved when Jo told Henry what he means to her. Whether they get together or not, the love that exists between them is practically tangible and has grown in a very authentic way. ADLG played that final scene to perfection. When she held up that photo, there was no accusation in her voice, only happiness that she finally understood what was going on with Henry and that they could finally level with each other. If it doesn't come back, it's a pretty spectacular ending, but ABC please bring this back.

• Love 5

Seems like an unspeakably cruel punishment for Adam -- if it sticks.  Maybe he frees himself, and they build a second season around an ongoing war between Adam and Henry.  They could also bring more immortals into the game. 

I dunno.  Felt more like a series finale to me. 

• Love 2

I figure Adam took both the gun and the dagger with him, as the poison had not kicked in at the point he left, so they are probably at the hospital with his personal effects and will stay there as there is no police investigation into what looks like a stroke. Jo just found the watch and the photo. I wonder if Henry had vanished at the point Adam left, so he knew then that nothing would kill either of them?

Loved Abe's "Tell her!" at the end. It's the Abe/Henry relationship I love on this show. Special second place prize to Lucas this week. Hope he's not fired.

• Love 5

Well they kept their options open. If this was the finale then I must say they did a good job of giving every character a moment to shine and they did not leave us with an insane cliffhanger. I hope we get a season 2 even though the outlook is a bit grim at the moment.

• Love 2
(edited)

The episode title bothers me: "The Last Death of Henry Morgan."

Was his last death when he was shot by Adam, and died in the subway?  Because he was subsequently restored to life.  And if that was his last death, it implies that he now will never die again, IOW live forever.

Or does the title refer to the cancellation of the series?  For, if it is cancelled, Henry Morgan will not live again on our screens, so the cancellation might well be considered as the death of the character.

Except we last saw Henry alive and well, at home with his son Abe, on the best of terms with his colleagues at work, and on the brink of taking his relationship with Jo to a much higher level than ever before.  It is hard to think of him as dead.  Rather, Henry is very much alive, and that can't change unless more episodes are produced. 

If another season is produced, they can't use the device of his dying and being restored to life in water, because his "last death" has already occurred, so they can't kill him again.

So,  I am somewhat at a loss over the choice of episode title, and exactly what it might mean.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

It could just mean "last" as "most recent". "My last death was a shooting. The one before that was a slit throat." Or if the show continues, Henry adopts a new name and identity, Henry Milton, for example, Or they don't plan on showing him dying anymore. Or you may just be overthinking it.

• Love 7

Please let this show come back!  It is all kinds of awesome.  I was almost in tears as Abe was waiting for Henry to surface in the river.  And then when Jo came to see him at the end, oh my!  

Every time I like a show, ABC cancels it, so I am not holding my breathe.

• Love 2

I wish we had actually gotten Jo's reaction to Henry's secret. But other than that it's the best I could hope for a finale and most likely the series finale. 

I did like Abigail's reaction, she was just too shocked to do anything. Then just accepted Henry because her husband was alive again. I loved Lucas helping him out because Henry means so much to him. 

Henry is really terrible at hiding things, although it's probably his fault being that he so good all the time that if he messes up and acts all fidgety and weird they are going to notice. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Well, the non-cancellation of this show is on my Christmas wish list.

Abe & all of us: Tell her.

There are so many things that they could do with a second season. And if they did bring back Adam (whom I do not like) at least now he has a real reason to hate and mess with Henry. I could see them letting Adam escape somehow at the end of season two...

Still if this is the end, it's a better one than some of the shows I have seen, so thanks creators.

ETA: Let the fanfiction ensue.

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Love 1

I liked this episode except I would be more satisfied with this being the last episode ever if Henry had spent a few moments giving Jo the cliff notes version of his "long story" so I could see her reaction to finally getting the low-down on this odd man who intrigues her. Then if they did continue production they could take it from there. But instead we get a cliffhanger with indefinite resolution?

• Love 1
(edited)

I figure Adam took both the gun and the dagger with him, as the poison had not kicked in at the point he left, so they are probably at the hospital with his personal effects

Loved Abe's "Tell her!" at the end. It's the Abe/Henry relationship I love on this show. Special second place prize to Lucas this week. Hope he's not fired.

There was no poison. HM injected air.

Edited by atir
  • Love 3

I fear that this will be the series finale, so I hope at least they give us some closure to the story, and not leave things with a cliffhanger.  It still pains me that Eric Close's character on "Now and Again" 15 years or so ago finally told his wife who he was in the final episode.  Then they went out the backdoor on the run from TPTB to restart their life together and then..... CANCELLED.

On at least two recent failed series the producers were aware their show was going to be cancelled so they were able to alter things and give viewers some closure.  The series that I am thinking of were so bad that I've forgotten their names.  One was about a haunted condo in New York with the youngest brother from Brothers and Sisters, the blonde from the failed Charlie's Angels reboot, and Vanessa Williams.  The other was a submarine show with Pendleton from Homicide Life on the Street, Dichen Lachman, and the dude from Felicity that wasn't Scott Foley.  Both of these series ended in a way that didn't leave us hanging.

I really hope we aren't left in cliffhanger limbo, because from what I am reading, it might not be back.

Wow. I was talking about Now and Again with someone in regard to Forever this morning. My take, however, was that great one season shows can be better than the alternative. Revenge was a great show the first season and it was reduced to garbage after 4 years. At least if Forever is over this season, it goes out as a great show.

• Love 1

...Abe's: "I had a few bathroom breaks, and then I had lunch with Myron. But other than that I've been a hawk." and the "you're emoting Henry. Continue." Had me burst out laughing...

These lines and others written for Abe are totally Judd Hirsch. I wonder if he ever ad libs, or if the writers are just familiar with (and fans of) his old work on Taxi.

Wonder how Adam got the old pistol, seeing as how Henry guarded it like a hawk?

I like to imagine that Abe was able to procure an identical one to "hide" in the safe for Adam to steal.

If the show comes back or doesn't, I'm imagining Henry spins a yarn to Jo about his grandfather being Abe's stepfather. But they did make Jo a smart detective, so she likely won't buy it.

For me the most emotional moments were 1) when Abigail said "you poor man" and hugged him, which was the opposite of his first wife and what he expected, and 2) when Abe was waiting for him to appear in the water and finally did.

If it gets renewed, based on what I think I observed in an interview with Ioan Gruffud last week, he might have to go the route of William Shatner with hair pieces in order to maintain Henry's boyish looks.

• Love 4

True. A fantastic first season can actually be bad for a show because it is hard to duplicate and because it is usually very self-contained, whereas a show with multiple seasons has to have several plot points that are left open ended.

I don't feel that this is the case with Forever, however. I get the impression that they have thought about where they are going, and they have enough wiggle room to do so.

• Love 2

Seems like an unspeakably cruel punishment for Adam -- if it sticks.  Maybe he frees himself, and they build a second season around an ongoing war between Adam and Henry.  They could also bring more immortals into the game. 

It may be cruel, but necessary. Adam can't be killed (death weapon doesn't work) and he can't be imprisoned because he disappears after death. The embolism thing was an interesting idea, but there was a better chance of it killing Adam. Plus, the needle mark would be something a doctor could find.

I think "The Last Death of Henry Morgan" refers to the fact that he might have to change his identity to keep from being found out. Either that or he stops being a coroner and it's the "last death" Henry Morgan investigates.

• Love 6

I see Henry telling Jo the truth with Abe to support the story. Any bs line at this point would not do - especially after Abe's "tell her". I want a second season. BUT if this is the series ender, it is a good one and makes me happy.

• Love 5

I really want this show to get renew so we can see what Jo's reaction when Henry tells her. Maybe they can keep it as 12-13 ep summer programing or move to sundays since I won't be surprised that shield's spin off could get the tuesdays at 10 spot. I'm gonna miss the new supporting characters info we get every so often if it doesn't get a second season. Plus it was really sweet on Ioan's twitter Q&A at a laundromat today how much he loves working with Judd and how they have great chemistry.

(edited)

Regarding the "last death" question, I thought the dialogue with Adam and the narration pointed out that what Henry fears far more than physical death is his secret being revealed, taking the risk of rejection and isolation and endless loneliness. Taking a leaf from Lucas' book tonight with the classical quotes, I offer this:

Cowards die many times before their deaths.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

- Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare (Isn't that fitting?)

So telling Jo will be his last death - facing the one thing he's always been most afraid of.

The discussion with the doctor in the hospital seemed to indicate that Adam might recover. "How long will he be this way?" "Nobody knows - could be for life". So they have an out if they need one. Although Henry supporting a private prisoner in a care home is a nice dark secret to play with in the future (if they get a future to play with).

Give a gold star to whoever came up with the line, "You're emoting, Henry. Continue." That got a belly laugh from me. I love the Abe/Henry dynamic.

I want to know how Adam shot twice using a single shot flintlock pistol, cool trick.

I thought of that too, and now I really wish there had been a scene with Henry shouting, or should I say emoting while Adam feverishly reloads his pistol with powder flask and ramrod.

I like to imagine that Abe was able to procure an identical one to "hide" in the safe for Adam to steal.

That's an interesting idea - but if he'd switched it out he wouldn't have been so tense at the river, waiting to see if Henry would appear, because he'd know that the switched pistol couldn't harm him. He must have looked and found out that the pistol was gone, that Henry and the dagger were gone (call to Lucas, since they're on good terms now?) and then gone to the river to wait and pray. Excellent scene.

I kind of feel like Lucas might step into the "son" role after Abe passes, especially if Jo and Henry don't/can't have children (yes, I'm assuming Jo and Henry is a foregone conclusion). They've done really well with the mentor/mentee relationship there, and I loved Lucas' cravat and even imitating Henry's walk as he strode up to the crime scene. Lucas would totally be Henry's immortal-enabler and BFF.

Hoping for a second season feels a bit like staring out at the East River, waiting for Henry to bob up. :-(

Edited by K.M.
  • Love 6

Hoping for a second season feels a bit like staring out at the East River, waiting for Henry to bob up. :-(

Well he did bob up in the end so we can still hope! :)

I know that villains don't get a happy ending and heroes are allowed their revenge and so on, but I still found what Henry did to Adam rather cruel. An eternity being stuck in a hospital bed seems a fate far worse than death. Although, if someone killed Adam now, would he be reborn still paralyzed, or would he be cured?

Other than that I found this episode well balanced. If the series was to stop now, it would be a satisfactory ending with a lot of loose ends tied and we can easily imagine Jo learning Henry's secret and them going on to be great partners (hopefully in life as well). If the series is renewed (cross fingers) then they can pick up where they left off and explore the consequences of Jo finding that picture and what Henry would say and how she would react. A very decent ending in both cases.

• Love 2

After the way he has tormented Henry and threatened Abe and Jo, Adam deserved whatever Henry did to him.   And he was responsible for Abigail killing herself to protect Henry.

And how many people did Adam murder along the way?  There were a couple just last night.

• Love 5
(edited)

I actually thought Henry's fervor for revenge seemed a bit overdone. I know he is someone who holds grudges sometimes, but even though Abigail's death was technically Adam's fault (if he actually believed Adam's story), Adam tried to save her. He didn't want her to die. She chose to kill herself-- and I know it was to protect Henry from him, but I guess I don't see why he would blame Adam quite that much-- but maybe that's because I'm not the type of person to hold a grudge. It takes a lot for a person to earn my ire and even then, I wouldn't try to retaliate even though I used to daydream about it. LOL.

I wonder where they even found the ammo for the gun- and what if it had to be the exact same musket ball or whatever in order to kill him? What if the knife would have killed Adam? Or what if the gun could have killed him in some weird reversal.

I admit that I wish the writers had stuck to Adam being a tad bit more sympathetic and maybe just wanting to try to have at more civil relationship with Henry. There was so much Henry could have learned from him. I did actually feel bad for Adam when he was paralyzed and couldn't communicate or move. That does really seem a bit too cruel even considering the things Adam did-- and especially after what he endured at the hands of Mengela.

Another concern is, what if someone finds a way to cure the ailment somehow? Also, what if people notice that Adam isn't aging? Or what if he dies. If he dies and comes back, Henry is pretty much screwed because I'm pretty sure Adam would want revenge. Unless he somehow gets some sympathy back somehow, he could really put Henry through some hell. If the series does get renewed, I wouldn't mind a scene of Henry going to visit Adam again and maybe feeling a little bit of remorse for his actions.

On a side note about Abigail, didn't she know that Henry was immortal before they got married? I could have sworn they crashed some old lady's party at a gallery or something and Abigail was convincing Henry that it was ok to get married or something.

I also wonder if it gets renewed if maybe there will be other immortals who turn up-- preferably some that are not psycho killers like Adam.

As for whatever Jo was wondering about when she saw the old photo-- since being immortal is not exactly a known thing to happen, I don't think that would be the first conclusion she would draw. I don't even know if she would entertain that possibility because it would seem too ludicrous. But she wouldn't quite know what to think.

On another side note, does anyone remember an episode of Forever Knight where the partner figured out that Nick was a vampire and then the LaCroix talked him in to thinking the idea was totally nuts and it was just his imagination? Loved that one.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 2

This episode was really good, especially the final fifteen minutes.   The subway scenes were great, as was the final scene with Abe, Jo and Henry, and the scene with Abe waiting for Henry to appear in the river.  I really like the relationship between Henry and Lucas.  I would love for him to be in on the secret (although I'm sure he would keep the secret, there's something about Lucas that makes me nervous that he would slip).  This show is just too good not to renew.

I'm actually getting more and more hopeful for the renewal.  No news is good news.

I agree.  I think that if they knew it was going to be cancelled, they would have been promoting it as the Series Finale instead of Season Finale.  I also don't think ABC would have gone through the trouble of having Ioan on Jimmy Kimmel to promote the show last week.   I wish that during the summer hiatus they would just throw it on on a Monday night after the Bachelor or whatever Monday night show they have and just let the viewers "rediscover" the show, or just do a marathon binge airing where they show three episodes a night one night a week.

• Love 2

Lucas: Oh he wanted to help, so he gave Henry the knife!!!! I love you Lucas!!! I'm going to miss you. :(

Abe: Abe cracked me up, when he sat there asleep with a gun, being all protective! ROFL! Henry was all like what the hell are you doing?! ROFL!  And I love how Abe was waiting for Henry to come up from the water, and was so relieved when he saw him! :) Altho how did he know Henry was going to "die" and come from the water? Did Adam call him? Or Henry?

Abe and Henry: Love how Abe was so worried that Henry was going to kill himself after Abe is gone! He wanted Henry to tell Jo his secret! Awwww! :) I'm going to miss you both too!!!! :(

Adam and Henry: Wow great standoff!!! :) Henry doesn't want to kill Adam, so Adam bates him!  Adam in the hospital frozen and can't move!!! Karma! HA! :)

The flashback: Wow!!!! Abagail had a boyfriend who would burn her with his cigarettes!!!! I love how Henry fought the guy to protect her!! :) I love how she saw him disappear and still stayed with him awwww! :)

Abe, Henry, and Jo:

Abe: Tell her.

Henry: It's a long story.

Oh!!! He is gonna tell Jo his secret and we are going to miss it! Oh crap! Crap crap crap! :(  Oh damn  I'm going to miss this show! I miss it already!!! :(

• Love 1

I love that Abe knew that Henry would get himself killed by going after Adam and was ready and waiting for him at the river. 

If we do get a next season, I think it should start out with Henry walking out of the water and Jo and Abe are there with clothes and coffee. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Huh? He injected air?  What does that mean? And why can't he move?

Injecting air into your veins causes an embolism or air bubble in the brain. Which results in a stroke or heart failure. Medically anything can happen when you have air bubbles in your veins. Henry basically gave Adam Locked In Syndrome since he can't die. He's aware but can't move or speak.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2