Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: Spring Baking Championship

So color me surprised at the guy who was eliminated due to the fact that he wins 97% of the competitions he enters.  Everything looked pretty good.

I liked the Italian guy til he made a face when the other guy won the first part.  Ladies and gentlemen I believe we have found our villain.

Blue haired Sandy is going to get on my nerves like the woman who won the Holiday Baking Championship!

• Love 3

I forgot I watched this until I saw the thread LOL. Everything did look tasty last night, especially those upside down cakes, mmmmmmm.

The woman who made the ube cupcakes annoys me

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the first episode and the baker I liked the least left first.  Both Andy and Dwayne looked familiar to me as soon as I saw them but I can't imagine where I would have seen either one of them before.  Neither of their bios say anything about FN so I guess they weren't on Chopped.  :)  I read through all the bios and all the bakers except the home cook have credentials.  None of them is a refugee from Cupcake Wars. 

I love pineapple upside down cake but haven't had it in years.  Now I want one. 

Nancy Fuller is really annoying. 

I liked Duff and Lorraine loudly calling out Nancy for her googly eyes. Judge the cake, Nancy. Not the crotch.

It was also amusing how Kristine's Filipino-inspired* cooking completely befuddled the judges.

Looking forward to seeing what else Damiano has never heard of/never cooked before. At this point I'm thinking every single thing that isn't specifically Italian.

* I think that's what she said.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I feel like they have the same set of 8 "characters" as they did last time, but played by different people - the home cook, the snarky guy, etc...It is like FN has these 8 character types in mind and they choose people and edit them in a way that makes them that character.  Unfortunately , I can't remember last season's cast well enough to know if my theory is true.  

I liked the Italian guy til he made a face when the other guy won the first part.  Ladies and gentlemen I believe we have found our villain.

That kind of repelled me too. However, being as I live in Thousand Oaks which is right between both of the Carrara shops, I'm pulling for Damiano. EVERYTHING he and his brother sell is just amazing. Their gelato (only at the Moorpark location) has ruined all other ice cream for me, forever. Their "signature", the frittelle which is a sort of cream puff only with a donut instead of whatever a "puff" usually is, is probably the best thing I've ever had in my mouth. And everything they make is just incredibly beautiful.Just hoping he isn't a dick.

I wish I could pick a fav judge,but I can't. I can't even pick a judge I like.

This.   Lorraine is at least semi-tolerable but that ain't sayin much.  

Let's see someone made a cake that had the texture of a bagel and someone made a cake that was undercooked.  When the had 45 min to conceptualize, prep and bake.   So yes, I can totally see why you would dump the undercooked cake.  

• Love 1

I agree this looks like the same group of bakers with different names. The blue haired lady reminds me of holiday baker Erin, and a couple of the other ones look like people from that group too. The judges are annoying, especially when they stare at each other and try to keep the contestants in suspense. 

It seems almost impossible to put tons of lime or lemon into a dessert and having no taste of it at all. How odd. I like Duane and the other two ladies and apparently Nancy likes the Italian guy cause he's cute. 

I find this show bleh. I haven't seen it before and didn't know what to expect, but have decided that The Great British Baking Show has ruined me for this type of show. It doesn't even show the baking. At least the people are nice to each other.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying this show myself except for Nancy Fuller whom I can't stand.  She seems to make it a point to be disagreeable and her flirtatious behavior with the young Italian fellow is not cute.  I like Duff and Lorraine a lot.

I also like the contestants, even the woman with blue hair.  I thought she was going to be like that ridiculous Erin who won the holiday show but she isn't at all.  I won't be disappointed when Juliana is eliminated.  She seems nice enough but women who start blubbering really annoy me.  

• Love 5

Andy reminds me of a thinner version of the dad from The Goldbergs.

We thought the same thing!

Fun show, and am also glad it's not over the top with the bleeping of the f words and being so hateful to each other.

• Love 2

We thought the same thing!

Fun show, and am also glad it's not over the top with the bleeping of the f words and being so hateful to each other.

Wow, so glad everyone else sees it I came here to post the same. The Italian guy, sorry bad with name when he talks his accent. I keep on picturing Mario or Luigi from Mario Brothers game. Not to offend anyone with an Italian accent.

Damiano is probably the worst one but the contestants are nice for the most part.  I was afraid Andy was going to go just after we saw pics of his kids.  Christine  was not good for 2 episodes now..time  to go. I think Andy or the blonde cryer may be next.

I think I gain a couple of pounds just watching.

Not sorry to see Christine go, she annoyed me.

She didn't really annoy me but she couldn't execute her dishes. Almost every dish she made seemed somehow not right. 

The blonde cryer annoys me a little bit because of the way she interacts with the others while they are working on their baking. I don't know why it bugs but there's something so... weird to me about it. 

• Love 3

I love to watch people bake pretty things. I wish there was more discussion of how the item needs to be baked (another has referenced the Great (pick nationality) Bake Off) and specific techniques.

It would be nice if FN would trust the audience to watch a show with participants that do not come straight from Central Casting.

Simone's almond frangeline frangipan frangiwhatsits was beautiful.

Juliana annoys but her blueberry flower cupcake was gorgeous.

I didn't get why biscuits would win Dwayne the honey challenge when a scone brought Andy to the bottom (sorry- I don't get that a tiny square of biscuit with melted honey butter could be so devastatingly amazing but a scone's not fit for the challenge).

Sandy annoys the hell out of me- so much so that I go find a snack during her camera time.

Judge drama does not a show make (you're not Bourdain and Lefebvre)- stop with the quibbling, you're each entitled to your opinion.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sorry to see Christine go, she annoyed me.

I've known Kristine since we were kids and I know she bakes some great stuff but I guess this competition wasn't for her. Bummer.

Edited by Nikki Heat
(edited)

Andy reminds me of a thinner version of the dad from The Goldbergs.

He reminds me of Kevin on The Office - not in looks, although they have a similar build, but the voice.  It is his tone, the somewhat gravelly nature to his voice that reminds me of Kevin, not what he says (Kevin wasn't the brightest bulb).  However, I did laugh when he said, after the first round, that he hasn't won yet - nobody else has won yet either, except Duane (Dwayne?) who has won every contest so far. 

I didn't get why biscuits would win Dwayne the honey challenge when a scone brought Andy to the bottom (sorry- I don't get that a tiny square of biscuit with melted honey butter could be so devastatingly amazing but a scone's not fit for the challenge).

I thought the same thing.  They give Duane the win for biscuits? - in a dessert competition? - and the only honey was in the honey butter? Those other desserts must have been horrible.  Then they rag on Andy for making a scone. Well, at least a scone is a dessert.  And at least the scone had the required ingredient inside, not just poured on top.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

Not sure whether this belongs here or in the Contestants thread but I like blue-haired Sandy the best so far.  She's the one I'd most want to hang out with.

I find it interesting that while most of the bakers are professionals, they all really emphasize a home-baker mentality i.e. "my mom used to make this" or "I bake this for my kids" or "this is my husband's favorite".  If you missed the first ten minutes of the first show, you'd think they found all these people at a school bake sale.

The good on this show is mouth watering. I think they are making some really great stuff. 

I don't have any problem with the judges actually. I like it when they disagree especially. But none of them seem ridiculous or overbearing or anything.

Right now I like the blue-haired girl and honestly, Damiano. He looks seriously talented.

• Love 2
If you missed the first ten minutes of the first show, you'd think they found all these people at a school bake sale.

I agree, except for the professionals generally being much better at presentation.

I like all the judges fine, but generally do on competitive shows because they're not the focus for me and don't pay them much mind. I'm also enjoying Sandy's exuberance.

• Love 1

If you don't like Nancy now, just wait till she says, "Yummy yummy yummy to my tummy tummy tummy".  I feel like punching my hand through the TV screen any time she says that.

I like the Italian guy, Damiano.  I grew up with a bunch of full blooded Italians, so the personality doesn't bug me.  His desserts have looked great.

I'm seriously impressed with some of the piping skills these people have.

Also, the crying, ug.  It gave the impression of, "Oh woe is me.  Don't eliminate poor me, I'm crying!"  Ploy.

• Love 8

I think this show is just OK.  Not long ago, I watched the British Championship Baking Competition, and it was much, much better done.  It played here in the States on PBS.  This show is pretty lame by comparison, and I seriously doubt that the bakers are the best they could find.  In fact, I'm sure they're not!  But still, it's entertaining.  I haven't decided on a favorite so far.  I like the black girl, partly because I think she has a sweet personality (which has nothing to do with baking, I realize)!  I like Nancy Fuller as a judge, but I think Duff and the British judge are there for the fun of it.  The only person I don't care for is Bobby Deen as MC.  He does his job fairly well, I think, but I just don't care for him.

• Love 1

I tried the second show in a row to find a favorite but none of these people I care for at all.  One thing I did notice the second show is that there were many contestants that the judges didn't really taste the lemon/lime of the event.  That many they didn't taste, isn't that on the judges if they commented on  more than a few? I can see the one eliminated but they mentioned not tasting a lot.  That many couldn't have been that bad with the taste could they?  But whatever, I can't get who Duff's fav is  because that is who will win like last time.

The British Judge makes comments well and so does Nancy at times but Duff picks a fav and it doesn't matter what they do, he will back them up  I'm thinking Duff is going for the blue haired contestant.  Why second round, he tasted not only his that wasn't done but tasted Nancy's and commented on how hers tasted.  Why?  And how is that allowed to be said?  Any other competition, you judge on the plate YOU are given not someone elses.  Yeah she's winning I bet on it.

So far, the judges have eliminated the person I most wanted to see gone every week.  Now it gets harder because everyone left is good and has baking credentials.  I'm not crazy about Damiano's personality but he definitely knows what he's doing.  My vote for the next person out is Nancy Fuller.  Gah.  She's just obnoxious.

• Love 2

I'm half Filipina (through my Dad); even though I'm not really into Filipino food, I was sad to see Kristine go. Mostly because you rarely see any Filipino cuisine made on nationally-aired US cooking shows.

Damiano needs to stop complaining every time the bakers are asked to do something he's not familiar with--like making Brunch foods--because he's a native Italian & they don't do whatever it is there. He's the 1 who decided to enter an American-based baking competition, nobody *made* him do it.

And once he did enter it, he should've studied up more on typical American baked foods & the situations, meals, etc., you'd make them for instead of bitching in his "talking heads" about not being familiar with the baked goods for the given scenario because they don't have that scenario in Italy, & trying to wing it. Although, yeah, so far "winging it" is still working out for him. 1 of these weeks, though, it may not work so well for him.

• Love 2

I'm half Filipina (through my Dad); even though I'm not really into Filipino food, I was sad to see Kristine go. Mostly because you rarely see any Filipino cuisine made on nationally-aired US cooking shows.

Damiano needs to stop complaining every time the bakers are asked to do something he's not familiar with--like making Brunch foods--because he's a native Italian & they don't do whatever it is there. He's the 1 who decided to enter an American-based baking competition, nobody *made* him do it.

And once he did enter it, he should've studied up more on typical American baked foods & the situations, meals, etc., you'd make them for instead of bitching in his "talking heads" about not being familiar with the baked goods for the given scenario because they don't have that scenario in Italy, & trying to wing it. Although, yeah, so far "winging it" is still working out for him. 1 of these weeks, though, it may not work so well for him.

I agree. I liked that she was cooking Filipino food. I just wish she could have executed the food better. I don't think her failings were due to the judges not being familiar with that food (although I could be wrong).

Just reading about Italian meals, they can have a breakfast snack that could be construed as similar to brunch or just go with what he would make for lunch. Europe does the big mid-day meal, that's all brunch really is. ANYTHING could be considered brunch. I know there are some 'traditional' foods, but the other dude did a steak and potatoes for goodness sake. 

ANYTHING could be considered brunch. I know there are some 'traditional' foods, but the other dude did a steak and potatoes for goodness sake.

He was so sure he was going to win with it, too! I thought it showed the least creativity. I really wanted to eat Simone's salmon eclairs and Dwayne's hand pies!

• Love 1

I have to admit that all these baker's are bringing it, well except for Juliana but she is gone now so oh well.

I really can't stand Fabiano...er Damiano, he is so full of himself here and I really want him to crash and burn.  I loved how pissed he was when Juliana called him Fabiano, you could tell he was serious when he told her to not do it again.  

In the first challenge it was so funny how Damiano is sitting there drinking his cup of coffee b/c he is so ahead in the challenge, yet he was cutting it down to the last second trying to finish everything and plate. Idiot.

I'm a Nancy Fuller fan, but her hormones for Damiano is so glaringly obvious that you can tell he could burn his food and she would still say he is perfect.  It really makes me dislike her that she shills for him so much on this show.  It's also how obvious how much Nancy dislikes Duff.

I'm surprised we don't see Giada lurking in the backgrounds here spying on Damiano.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up on FNS so she can drool over him in person.

I just dislike Damiano w/ each episode.  

Simone though...she really upped her game this round, I think she will take home the prize...or the guy that usually wins b/c he bakes w/bacon, lard, and butter.

• Love 3

I had to turn this off last night when Julianna and Andy (?) started trash talking Dwayne. Good lord- you're baking not playing in the NBA. Unless you're saying, "can I please use some of your sugar?" keep yer trap shut and focus on the challenge.

As it seems the last home baker has now been sent on her way, I'll try to watch tonight with it muted. Sheesh.

• Love 2

If Nancy says "Yummy, yummy, yummy to my tummy, tummy, tummy!" on this show, like she did on the Holiday Baking Championship, I swear I'll throw something at my TV--at least mentally/in my head. That was just silly & gross, & didn't need to be said.

• Love 3
(edited)

DItto to everything. I was not disappointed to see Juliana go. Between her weeping and non-stop chattering in the kitchen, she was working my last nerve.

Daimiano (or whatever his name is) can go next. Why is it now that on nearly every competition show, there has to be some smooth-talking Italian guy?  Yeah. Send him over to FNS and Giada, especially now that she's single.

Sandy can also go. She's another stereotype -- the quirky/edgy hipster. At least she don't have some type of childhood theme/memory (lengthy TH story) to accompany everything she bakes. Lookin' at Erin last season.

Lorraine has grown on me as a judge. I didn't care so much for her last time, but she seems to be the only voice of reason and constructive criticism (or praise.) Duff is a (charming) dufus and Nancy is just too polarizing. I d not like Bobby Deen as the host. I have never cared for his personality as he seems really devoid of humor or something. He seems like he's bored and just going through the motions or something. Claire Robinson would be good as she's hosted shows like that before. Hell, even JAIMIE Deen would be an improvement.

I'm rooting for Simone, but would be equally happy with Dwayne. I don't care either way about Andy.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 2

I am guessing that they cut a bunch from Simone's telling of her back story.  We ended seeing something like this - "I am going to show the judges that gluten free can be tasty.  I used to weight over 300 lbs, and then had gastric bypass surgery."  What does bypass surgery have to do with being gluten free?  When she started talking about her former weight, I thought she was going to say she cut out gluten and dropped the pounds.  

Then, later she mentions that her gluten free food better be good or she is going home.  But I don't recall her saying anything to the judges about it being gluten free nor her saying why being gluten free was important.  I know that people with Celiac's Disease can be quite miserable if they eat the tiniest a bit of gluten, and that there are many people who have gluten sensitivities, who can eat gluten but it can cause varying degrees of distress later. However for the majority of people, gluten isn't an issue and doesn't need to be avoided.  Was Simone implying that gluten free is healthier (that seems to be a trend lately - a trend I believe is largely fueled by the fact that the word "gluten" sounds like something bad - like some sort of chemical).

Add me to the growing list of people who are tired of hearing Damiano say that he has never made or worked with something before.  According to FN's website, next week's episode is --

The five bakers left in the Spring Baking Championship are challenged to bake for a birthday bash! They kick it off with desserts on a stick and for the main challenge, the bakers must create an amazing birthday cake, paired with homemade ice cream. 

I can just hear him saying, "I have never made anything on a stick.  We don't use sticks in Italy." or "I have never seen a birthday cake, in Italy we always have a birthday pie."

• Love 7

I am guessing that they cut a bunch from Simone's telling of her back story.  We ended seeing something like this - "I am going to show the judges that gluten free can be tasty.  I used to weight over 300 lbs, and then had gastric bypass surgery."  What does bypass surgery have to do with being gluten free?  When she started talking about her former weight, I thought she was going to say she cut out gluten and dropped the pounds. 

Then, later she mentions that her gluten free food better be good or she is going home.  But I don't recall her saying anything to the judges about it being gluten free nor her saying why being gluten free was important.  I know that people with Celiac's Disease can be quite miserable if they eat the tiniest a bit of gluten, and that there are many people who have gluten sensitivities, who can eat gluten but it can cause varying degrees of distress later. However for the majority of people, gluten isn't an issue and doesn't need to be avoided.  Was Simone implying that gluten free is healthier (that seems to be a trend lately - a trend I believe is largely fueled by the fact that the word "gluten" sounds like something bad - like some sort of chemical).

I have Celiac and had she gone there about the weight loss I would have been SUPER annoyed. It is NOT a tool to lose weight. Most people who go GF and lose weight only do so because they've cut calories by not eating wheat based foods. I didn't get where she was going either.  And sure gluten-free can be good when you're making essentially a yogurt parfait. I thought she was going to go there with baking something that used GF flours to make a baked good that's traditionally made from wheat flour. I like Simone and am rooting for her, so I'm glad I didn't have a reason to stop liking her.

• Love 4
(edited)

I like Simone and Dwayne the most  and I was also wondering why she brought up the Gluten thing and nothing further was said. Did she think the judges would notice and she would have to explain? Odd. I was surprised at seeing a steak and even a tomato as this is supposed to be a baking show. I don't mind the occasional savory dish but I don't want this to turn into cupcake wars where every other cupcake has to contain fish or olives.

I find the cartoony logo and opening music very childish for some reason. It wasn't too bad during the holidays, but couldn't they find something more adult for the spring addition. Agree that Damiano is annoying  even though he's cute.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1

In all my years of watching cooking competitions, I had never seen anyone using a blowtorch on the bottom of a mixing bowl (while it was operating).

Is eatable gold a staple in the food pantry?

I agree about Simone and the gluten free.  As stated, a gluten free diet is NOT a weight loss diet.  And she didn't have to substitute any ingredients for what she made to be gluten free so I didn't know where she was going there.

I actually like Duff and Lorraine - but Nancy, not so much. 

• Love 2

I don't find any of these contestants, except Simone, as likable.  Can't stand Damiano, and I especially dislike blue haired Sandy.  Her whole big girl attitude is annoying.  Can't they find contestants who are more appealing?

• Love 1

I can't help but suspect that the producers encourage the contestants to "trash talk" each other to add interest but I agree it just makes them seem disagreeable.

Damiano's food all looked very yummy tonight, he is the one to beat. I was surprised Sandy was given the boot, but her cake really looked awful to me. Dwayne started out strong but hasn't been doing well at all. I still like Simone and I agree with her that I wouldn't like fondant. She probably shouldn't have removed it without asking though. 

• Love 1

Everything about Simone's cake was awful to me and when she peeled off the fondant, it was like she was taking the skin off baked chicken, it made the cake unappetizing, IMO.

• Love 4

I figured either Simone or Sandy would go this week but I'm not sure why they kept Simone.  I know they gave her credit for making the purse even though it didn't look right even to my amateur eye and nothing about it said "birthday."  

I've been favoring Dwayne all along but he seems to be fading and I now think Damiano is the front runner.  He's certainly expert in his field.  I just wish he wasn't so arrogant.

• Love 1