Type keyword(s) to search

Jackie: From Cop to Gilligan

SPLAIN

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It was always Fred. Fred didn't want Dan and his friends watching the game at his house. Fred didn't like DJ. Fred always wanted to stay home. Fred was a stick in the mud and I couldn't stand him.

He may have been a stick in the mud, but Jackie was no prize either.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It was always Fred. Fred didn't want Dan and his friends watching the game at his house. Fred didn't like DJ. Fred always wanted to stay home. Fred was a stick in the mud and I couldn't stand him.

Well said on all. That was Fred, since we have no idea what happened with Andy on the revival. You do have to wonder how much Fred effected his son's view on everyone.

• Love 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, readster said:

Well said on all. That was Fred, since we have no idea what happened with Andy on the revival. You do have to wonder how much Fred effected his son's view on everyone.

To be honest about it, I think Fred was the better parent. Jackie was smothering poor Andy from the minute he was born. She took it to the extreme at times. I think she would be the one who would affect the way Andy saw the world.

Edited by bigskygirl
57 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

To be honest about it, I think Fred was the better parent. Jackie was smothering poor Andy from the minute he was born. She took it to the extreme at times. I think she would be the one who would affect the way Andy saw the world.

True and I think after so long, Fred's influence got to Andy to the point, I think he felt he needed less on Jackie and that lead to their problems. Too bad we have to wait until season 2 to see that relationship. 

(edited)

I'm pretty disappointed that Jackie is still Gilligan in the revival.

I'm a Star Trek fan and used to seeing cast members take questions from the audience at conventions.

Is there no Roseanne convention where we can all stand up and tell Laurie how much we hate her portrayl of Jackie Gilligan?

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 2

No, Jackie from Season 1 wouldn't have.  The Jackie of season 1 was laid back, sarcastic and a fairly confident single woman.  That was the Jackie that fixed Fisher's wagon by pretending to be his wife to scare away his date.  I'm not picky, I just want any of the Jackie variations from season 1 through 6 to return.

• Love 6
On 5/21/2018 at 10:58 AM, bigskygirl said:

I like Jackie until she left the police force and broke up with Gary. They started to dumb her right after all of this happened.

She went from being the cool aunt to somewhat of a pathetic person. I have no idea why she took inspiration from Don Knotts (who I kinda of love). People were not laughing with Mr. Furley or Baney Fife but at him.

• Love 1

Don Knotts was a fucking rock star on the Andy Griffith show (citing his hot make out sessions with Thelma Lou).  But he was a bumbling cop and so Jackie, as she was taking the place of Crystal as the village idiot chose to emulate Don Knotts, I guess.

• Love 4

IMHO I think Jackie started to have some kind of slow breakdown on the show. Certain life events like having a baby can cause hormonal changes and emotional changes - maybe that's what started happening to her. Maybe she became acutely aware of things from her childhood that messed her up and led her to guys like Fisher (hot but abusive) and then Fred (safe but in her words boring). 

I actually liked Fred **ducks flying objects**.  He seemed like a dependable stable guy, although a little anal. I would love for Fred to pop back in next season with his squeeze (GF or wife) and maybe we will see Andy and figure out Jackie's back story. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm re-watching season 1 of OG Roseanne. There was the episode where Jackie is wearing this sexy (for 1989) red dress and her hair's up and she looks gorgeous. And her chemistry with Booker was off the charts. (Although that might have just been Young George Clooney being Young George Clooney.) It just made me sad to see someone who looked so vibrandt and beautiful in her early 30's seem so drained and lifeless by her early 60's.

Did they EVER let Jackie dress up like that after? The only other episode I can think of where they allow Jackie to look sexy is when she's playing a pregnant Mrs. Robinson to David's Dustin Hoffman.

It's also kind of weird to see Jackie in season 1 and realize that we're just about the same age. (She's about 33, I'm 32.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Did they EVER let Jackie dress up like that after?

When she went to the singles dance where she met Fisher, and she was dressed similarly to the Booker date scene you're describing when she went out with Roseanne, Dan, Chuck, Anne Marie, and Roger - who showed up with Nancy.  She was dressed pretty nice on her date with Timothy Carhart's character, too ("Oh my god, you guys were just about to, like, do it.  I'll just wait out in the hall -- holler when you're done!").

We didn't see what she wore on her first date with Fred, but they had sex for hours, so it must have been pretty good. 

• Love 4
(edited)

There's also the scene where she's making out with her date on her couch before Becky comes to live with her in season 3 (after arguing with her parents about seeing Mark again). That's also the episode where Roseanne makes fun of her neck. 

ETA: @Bastet beat me to this one! 

She also had this nice red suit she wore when she was a perfume sprayer (that's the technical term, I guess...except that's when her hair was blonde for some reason so that kind of ruined the look, unfortunately). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

I loved Jackie's late 80s/early 90s "sexy outfits." Laurie Metcalf had such an amazing figure back then. I still die laughing at the scene where Becky and Darlene ask Jackie why she was so thin and their mother was so heavy. Jackie sucks air through her teeth and says "genetics" and the girls look at each other in horror.

• Love 9
On 5/25/2018 at 4:26 PM, BitterApple said:

I loved Jackie's late 80s/early 90s "sexy outfits." Laurie Metcalf had such an amazing figure back then. I still die laughing at the scene where Becky and Darlene ask Jackie why she was so thin and their mother was so heavy. Jackie sucks air through her teeth and says "genetics" and the girls look at each other in horror.

Jackie really had legs to die for back in the day.

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Congrats to Laurie Metcalf for winning the Tony for featured actress in a play.  I wondered if she might make any reference to "Roseanne" in her acceptance speech.  She didn't.  Class act.  Super-class act.

She looked gorgeous and her acceptance speech was lovely. Not many actors can say they won a Tony, were nominated for an Oscar, and won another Tony over the course of one year. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 7
On 6/11/2018 at 5:33 PM, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Not to mention the (at least one) Emmy she won during the original run of "Roseanne."

I think she actually won three! 

• Love 4

Sara Gilbert recognized Laurie on The Talk yesterday, for the Emmy nomination she got for the revival season. She mentioned that Laurie had won a Tony & been nominated for an Oscar & an Emmy all in the same year, this year (which gives her 3/4 of an EGOT--the acronym for the names of the 4 major entertainment industry awards [Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony]--in nominations alone for the year), & that was something that was very hard for 1 person to do (& winning all 3--or all 4--of the major entertainment industry awards in the same year would be even harder; like a pro tennis player winning all 4 major tennis championships or a race horse winning the Kentucky Derby, Preakness & Belmont Stakes, horse racing's Triple Crown, in the same year [although the Triple Crown has actually been won twice in the last 3 years]--My Comment), & Sara said she loved her.

• Love 2