Type keyword(s) to search

Jackie: From Cop to Gilligan

SPLAIN

I'm enjoying Laurie Metcalf on "Getting On". It reminded me of the episode in which Jackie can't take her eyes off the computer screen. So funny. She is comedy gold.

Been there. Love that "plug it back in" hand motion she does. 

• Love 1

I much preferred her in the earlier seasons where she was insecure but still charming and a good time. The later seasons when she was just a bundle of nerves ready to explode (in some ways she was a Bev in the making) are my least favorite. 

• Love 8

My favorite Jackie moment was when she was telling Roseanne to butt out during the Fisher episodes. 

"This isn't you, it's me, and there's a real easy way to tell us apart. You -- me. YOU -- ME!!" The gesturing she did with that line was so great. Never fails to crack me up. 

I've said it before but I think the Fisher abuse storyline set the bar for Very Special Episodes. Serious subject matter, handled appropriately, and some of the funniest moments from the entire series. 

• Love 9

Oh, the Darlene-picks-Dan-up-from-jail scene is one of my top five of the whole series.

"Well well well well well!" 

*look of utter agony on Dan's face*

and:

"Darlene, I don't have time for this."

"Oh, I think you do."

• Love 11
2 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

One thing that is great about Jackie is she can cut right through all the clutter with a simple line.  When Roseanne accused Jackie of drinking to cope with various disappointments, Jackie replies with

"Have another shot of pancake, Roseanne!"

Perfect delivery

Oh, well I'm sorry we can't all be a happily married couple who each weighs FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS!

• Love 11

Today I saw the one where she spills the beans about Mark getting drunk and punching the jukebox at the Lobo and Dan covering for him; I love the way she pounds on her thigh as she says, "Oh, man - this is why Dan is always ticked off at me."

And, of course, the way she delivers, "Isn't it great, Roseanne?" when Becky asks for birth control is one of the greatest moments on television.

• Love 8

Watched "My Name is Bev" today (the one where Bev finds out she's an alcoholic). Jackie was fucking hilarious in this episode, start to finish, but I absolutely lost it during this conversation with Bev:

Bev: Jackie, that looks like the Bishop boy who used to live up the street from us, do you think it's him?
Jackie: Yes mother, it's him.
Bev: I don't remember him being so tall.
Jackie: He grew.
Bev: Well his hair used to be longer.
Jackie: He cut it.
Bev: No I don't think that's him.
Jackie: You're right, Mother, it's not.

Lmao, and then later when she's drunk: "We can't go in there, she's in there!.... Bev!.... Beverage!.... Non-alcoholic Beverage is in there!" Such a great episode from Jackie.

• Love 10
On 11/21/2016 at 1:35 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

One thing that is great about Jackie is she can cut right through all the clutter with a simple line.  When Roseanne accused Jackie of drinking to cope with various disappointments, Jackie replies with

"Have another shot of pancake, Roseanne!"

Perfect delivery

One of my favorites! 

And also, two from the episode where Becky and Darlene have a party while Dan and Roseanne are trying to go to Vegas. 

First when Becky says she would have told Jackie that Mark was outside but she couldn't find her, then Jackie says Dan and Roseanne said it was cool with them if he came over so long as Jackie was there. Becky's all "why didn't you tell me?" 

Jackie stomps a foot and makes a face and makes her voice all whiny and says "well, I was going to tell you, but I couldn't find you!" 

I love her delivery of that whole thing. She sounds just like a bratty teenager and Becky just rolls her eyes. 

And secondly, when the boys are fighting over Darlene:

"And as for you, Darlene....excellent!"

ETA: When Roseanne and Dan's power gets cut and Jackie walks in and starts making herself breakfast while talking about her night, clueless until she tries to turn the blender on. The whole scene is perfect, but there's something about the way that Jackie goes "oh" that just kills me every time. So funny. 

Laurie Metcalf is a genius. =)

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 10

Laurie Metcalf had so many genius moments on that show. One of my favorites was the episode where Becky goes on birth control. They're all in the kitchen, Becky has clearly discussed everything with Jackie beforehand, and nervously stammers out that she wants to go on birth control. Awkward silence. Jackie:

"Isn't it GREAT, Roseanne? That Becky has such an open-minded, progressive mom she can talk to about that?"

And does a nervous, watery smile that always sends me into a fit of giggles no matter how many thousands of times I've seen it.

ETA: Bastet already said the same thing a few posts up and I feel dorky because I didn't see it. Our great minds have bee thinking alike for a while. :)

Edited by Aja
embarrassing
  • Love 7

She really does and that's a great scene!

I also love way back in the beginning when Jackie catches Booker at The Lobo with the other woman on the night he turned her down for a date to the auto show because he said his mother was in town.

The way she marches over to the table and expertly plays the poor put-upon, rejected wife cracks me up, and I love the little touch of her wearing Roseanne's wedding ring and fiddling with it while she talks.

Between the way she says:

"Honey, are you ever coming home?"

and

"I'm sorry to interrupt, it's just that the kids have been askin' about their daddy."

and this exchange:

Booker: "She is just a friend!"
Jackie: "Of your mother's?"

It's comedy gold, especially when she chews him out and then convinces him to buy her a beer. Confident Jackie is my favorite Jackie.

• Love 9

Jackie's revelation that she's slept with 60 people is another favorite Jackie moment.

"I don't even KNOW 60 people!"

"Well, I didn't KNOW all of them."

I also love the way she says "Just the three."

Edited by Aja
  • Love 10

Along those same lines, I love when she and Fred are talking about how they didn't realize they were so different from each other when they got married and she says, "When you think about it, we'd only had that one date ... well, and the baby."

And when she tells Bev, "I'm keeping the baby, and if it's a girl, I'm naming it Gidget."  The way she says "Gidget" makes it art.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Along those same lines, I love when she and Fred are talking about how they didn't realize they were so different from each other when they got married and she says, "When you think about it, we'd only had that one date ... well, and the baby."

And when she tells Bev, "I'm keeping the baby, and if it's a girl, I'm naming it Gidget."  The way she says "Gidget" makes it art.

Lol, yes! She looks so diabolically crazed! I love that whole scene. 

"You mean she didn't cry or have a heart attack or..."

"No!"

"WELL YOU DIDN'T DO IT RIGHT!"

• Love 7
On 3/16/2017 at 9:27 AM, Aja said:

One of my favorites was the episode where Becky goes on birth control. They're all in the kitchen, Becky has clearly discussed everything with Jackie beforehand, and nervously stammers out that she wants to go on birth control. 

This made me think about how both Becky and Darlene went to Jackie first to discuss whatever important issue they wanted to bring up to Roseanne....birth control for Becky and the writing program for Darlene. It amuses me that they both thought that Jackie could smooth things over with Roseanne first or at least help lessen her negative reaction, but it didn't really help, Roseanne just reacted how she was going to react anyway. 

Edited by SparklesBitch
Connecting words are important...
  • Love 1

Forgot about one small Jackie moment that I really like until randomly seeing it again last night. When she only asks Fred out so that Roseanne will tell Bev not to come to work at The Lunchbox anymore. It's their third day at work without Bev, and Jackie is stirring the loose meat and singing..."sometimes I feel like a motherless child.....and that's the way uh huh, uh huh, I like it."

I just love that she's so happy about Bev being gone that she's singing, complete with the biggest grin ever. 

Also, that she and Roseanne are still on cloud nine and Nancy thinks they're being awful because she actually likes Bev. 

• Love 4

Another one of my FAVORITE Jackie/Bev moments is when they're watching the news...I can't remember the exact quote but it goes something like:

Bev: Isn't that Steve Smith?
Jackie: Yes, that's him.
Bev: Didn't he used to have longer hair?
Jackie: He cut it.
Bev: No, I don't think that's him.
Jackie: You're right Mother, that's not him.

I've had the exact same conversation with my mother at least 400 times.

• Love 3

I love that scene where Jackie is staying with Roseanne. She beats Roseanne home from the diner and tells Dan a story about Bev. Roseanne comes home a few minutes later and starts telling the same story.  She realizes that Dan just heard the story from Jackie and gets upset. Jackie yells "It's my day too". Just the way she says it makes me laugh. 

• Love 4

My favorite Jackie moment:

Jackie: [dials the phone] I can't... Auntie Barbara? It's Jackie... Jack-key! I'm fine... Fine!... I'm fine!... I have some bad news... Dad is not with us anymore...

[slowly getting louder]

Jackie: I said Dad has passed away... He's passed away!... Dad is gone!... Dad's dead!... He's dead!... NO, *DEAD!*... *DAD!*... He's fine! He sends his love! Bye!

Jackie: [hangs up] I am *not* doing that again, you can't *make* me!

I was re-watching episodes last night and that scene still kills me!

• Love 11
8 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

My favorite Jackie moment:

Jackie: [dials the phone] I can't... Auntie Barbara? It's Jackie... Jack-key! I'm fine... Fine!... I'm fine!... I have some bad news... Dad is not with us anymore...

[slowly getting louder]

Jackie: I said Dad has passed away... He's passed away!... Dad is gone!... Dad's dead!... He's dead!... NO, *DEAD!*... *DAD!*... He's fine! He sends his love! Bye!

Jackie: [hangs up] I am *not* doing that again, you can't *make* me!

I was re-watching episodes last night and that scene still kills me!

My dad would always crack up at this scene, because he went through something similar with a hard of hearing relative once. Thankfully, in his case, he wasn't having to tell anyone that somebody had died. Instead, he was at the store, and called to double check on something he needed to pick up for one of our relatives, and for some reason they put the relative with bad hearing on the line. So there's my dad, standing in the middle of the store, shouting into the phone :p. 

• Love 6

When I first met my husband 30 years ago, he was a mechanic at a gas station and one of the clerks called our house for him one day. She was an older woman who was hard of hearing and I kept trying to tell her he was in the shower, she kept saying "he's on fire?!". It was so frustrating. I hung up and a minute later one of the other mechanics called and asked what the hell was going on. Sarah had gotten of the phone and was hysterical because he was on fire. 

• Love 14

Last night I was watching the Canoga Time episode and Jackie was still seeing Booker. She looked hot and was acting very cool towards him because he late for their date. Anyway, we find out that Aunt Jackie has a hissing viper tattoo. A very far cry from the goofy, dim Barney Fife character that she ended up as.

• Love 10

In the episode where they found the weed and Jackie's advising Roseanne on what to tell David to discourage him, she says "And why do you think they call it dope?" Her delivery on that always cracks me up.

Also some cute moments in the ep when she and Roseanne go back to their childhood home. When they're in the tree (loved Roseanne's threatening "we both fall at the same speed, Slim") and Roseanne's trying to get through their old bedroom window, Jackie says, "Whoa, I just flashed on Winnie the Pooh and the honey tree."

• Love 4

So in episode 6 we have definite confirmation that Jackie is not a lesbian, or at least not living like one. I always wondered if they retconned Andy because of Roseanne's line in the finale about Jackie being the real lesbian instead of Bev.

There was also what looked like a photo of dark-haired young guy in a red henley shirt on the fridge- it could be DJ, Jery, or possibly Andy. Maybe Andy still does exist?

I did like all the photos showing all the different things that Jackie has done over her life, like being a cop and her days as a truck stop driver.

• Love 2

Remember the way Jackie reacted when Roseanne gave Andy chocolate. I agree about letting kids eat healthy foods, but Jackie took it to the extreme. I would not be surprise if Andy did want to live with his father because of the way Jackie was raising him. Of course, the way the show is going now there is no Andy, but still...

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I would like to know who would be dumb enough to hire Jackie as a life coach because look at the way she runs her own life.

Well, that's the joke.  And 'twas ever thus on sitcoms (or comedic episodes of dramas) - I can't think of one such character who either decided to become a life coach or to hire one where the very concept of a life coach wasn't played for laughs, specifically that the life coach's own life is a mess.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, that's the joke.  And 'twas ever thus on sitcoms (or comedic episodes of dramas) - I can't think of one such character who either decided to become a life coach or to hire one where the very concept of a life coach wasn't played for laughs, specifically that the life coach's own life is a mess.

That's even a bit of a running joke on a show like "Frasier"-Frasier and Niles are well-respected, good psychiatrists, but their own lives can be messy and chaotic, and much of the advice they give their patients is something they often need to learn to use in their own lives. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That's even a bit of a running joke on a show like "Frasier"-Frasier and Niles are well-respected, good psychiatrists, but their own lives can be messy and chaotic, and much of the advice they give their patients is something they often need to learn to use in their own lives. 

That's true, but a psychiatrist is still a board-certified physician. A "life coach" is completely self-styled.

• Love 4
On 5/12/2018 at 2:59 PM, bigskygirl said:

Remember the way Jackie reacted when Roseanne gave Andy chocolate. I agree about letting kids eat healthy foods, but Jackie took it to the extreme. I would not be surprise if Andy did want to live with his father because of the way Jackie was raising him. Of course, the way the show is going now there is no Andy, but still...

I hated the episode where she did not want DJ hanging around the house because she thought he was weird. Being a mom did not bring out the best in Jackie.

• Love 1

As much as I liked Jackie.. I do think there were certain episodes where I didn't see the point of her being on.. and felt like she was shoehorned in especially in the later seasons.

I kind of buy the character change of Jackie between season 6 and 7.. because I've seen people that are laid back and easy going when single.. but the second they become parents, they become a completely different person.  However, in season 7.. she was more militant/hostile and I could buy that.. much more then the Barney Fife she became in season 8/9.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I think Fred thought he was weird too.

It was always Fred. Fred didn't want Dan and his friends watching the game at his house. Fred didn't like DJ. Fred always wanted to stay home. Fred was a stick in the mud and I couldn't stand him.

• Love 3