Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Great Man Down

I won't be watching this episode until tomorrow, but I saw the preview of Liam being made "acting King" & thought that couldn't possibly be a real thing, so I Googled it & finally found this info about King John

"King of England from 1199 and acting king from 1189 during his brother Richard the Lion-Heart's absence on the Third Crusade."

So I guess it's a real thing, but damn, does that sound stupid.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dare I say it? This episode was kind of good. Well, maybe good is a stretch, but shit got real!!

Oh thank god, they actually talked about firing Ted this week. Fire Ted, he sucks at his job! Seriously. The worst. Hasn't he heard of a tail? Too bad we're still waiting.

Cyrus is a total creepo but I did get a little thrill over him telling Ophelia to call Liam "his Royal Highness."

Apparently this week, the rest of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth DO exist!! So stop saying blah blah of England, ffs!

So do we think that Liam and Eleanor are actually illegitimate? You'd think Helena would be smarter than that, but maybe it's a long con. I am guessing it's a ploy to keep Liam off the throne for awhile, because Helena will do anything to keep her power and not abolish the monarchy. But it wouldn't take that long to run a DNA test in real life so maybe they are. Hey, then Ophelia and Liam can go off to NYC and be boring together off my screen.

Edited by catray
  • Love 3

Ophelia is honestly the worst.  Her character brings absolutely nothing.

Liam could be interesting with a more dynamic and interesting character.  I really hope they are reading commentary on the character and rectify that mess next season.  I don't even need a Gemma but someone who isn't so damn bland and annoying.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ha! One of my theories awhile ago was that Liam and Ophelia might be illegitimate. That paves the way for Jasper to be Cyrus's son - he spawned bastards up and down the country, according to the Queen in one episode - and he is an orphan. My other guess would be Jasper is the King's son but he seemed too hurt by the Queen's infidelity for him to have bastards but I guess you never know. My other theory is Jasper is really MI6 (or 5, not sure which). If I had to bet, I'm going with Cyrus is Jasper's dad. He's a bit kinky, just like his dad.

I thought no matter who is the biological father, if a child is born within a marriage, it's considered the legal issue of that marriage and the husband is the official father. I would think Liam would be the legitimate heir no matter what since he was born within a marriage. Maybe DNA does count these days, though. 

Who was the hottie at the gate?  Robert's friend? With details about what really happened to Robert?

About time Eleanor thought about what Jasper was doing there in the first place. I'm surprised she pushed the panic button but she loves her dad more than she likes Jasper.

Edited by CarBe1
  • Love 3
About time Eleanor thought about what Jasper was doing there in the first place. I'm surprised she pushed the panic button but she loves her dad more than she likes Jasper.

Got to say I thought that was good. I was particularly impressed with the actor who played Liam. He went throught several major changes during the episode including the final shock that he wasn't legitimate... though money is on the idea that they are legitimate because no way Mom would have allowed that information out if they weren't legitimate.  That said, I am shocked that the information got out that she had been unfaithful.  You would think that would push people toward disbanding the monarchy more than ever.

Liked that Eleanor finally started to think straight and wasn't up for anymore Jasper in a situation like this one.

At the end there I was sure Cyrus was going to unveil Robert alive and as the legitimate King.

Ophelia is terrible and her dad should be fired. In reality people would be going crazy at the idea that the King could be stabbed - where was his detail would be the first question.

• Love 2

I think they are truly illegitimate, it's too easy to quickly disprove with DNA testing and I don't see what temporarily keeping Liam off the throne gets them. With Cyrus in charge he can bury that bill, though I think popular sentiment might overrule his will. I agree that revealing her infidelity won't play well with the people.

That was a better episode than I had expected. Although it kinda went into the shitter whenever Ophelia was part of a scene. I thought everyone was nailing it... and then Ophelia comes in with her two different facial expressions: the slightly open mouth/tooth showing while looking mildly interested, and the Angry Squirrel Face, which seems to be her default for scared/worried/mad. Yikes. The sweet and simpering "What can I do?" when they were let out of the underground bunker was particularly bad. The King of England has been stabbed and may be dying. You can step back and let the professionals deal with it, Nancy Drew. Too bad she can't just run off to her big New York audition and stay there. Really not feeling the casting. I think the character could be interesting, if someone else were in the role but no.

Although I will admit that when Cyrus cornered her in... whatever room that was and then stalked back to shut the doors, I had a moment of worry for her. Having Cyrus close the doors to keep you in a room probably isn't a good thing. I was kind of hoping that he would give it to her even better. Cyrus is delightfully evil when he isn't forcing himself on a maid. 

Didn't expect the Queen to be in on the "illegitimate children" play. I love an evil Queen, so it works for me but I'm curious to see how this is going to go. I loved Eleanor smacking the panic button with Jasper in the room. I still call bullshit on the fact that a full 24 hours later (I think), the cuff-link is still in the Queen's bed. That would have been cleaned up and remade and fixed by the staff. 

The mystery person at the gate? Is it too much to hope for that it's the dead brother who isn't really dead? Probably. 

The security was laughable in this episode. I know it's for story purposes, but yeah, Ophelia's dad should be fired. Letting the King go out without at least an undercover guard following him for a distance to make sure he's safe? His subordinate overruling him and taking Eleanor to the hospital (and then telling the Queen that it was her personal security that did it)? Allowing Eleanor to go into the tunnels during the lockdown, despite them being declared secure but leaving her without a guard as far as we could see? He really does deserve to be sacked.

• Love 2

Agreed since day 1 the casting of Ophelia was a horrible job.  Callaphera, I am LOLing at everything.

I'm actually obsessed with Eleanor, I adore the actress.  I find her so compelling.

What the hell with Cyrus looking like he had food poisoning throughout the dungeon scene.  Are we to believe he was in a tussle with the King and was trying to cover up his wound and not vomit.

• Love 1

I think if that was Robert, mystery man at the gate, the head security guy would have recognized him. And that other guy who called him over to look at the video.

• Love 1

I think if that was Robert, mystery man at the gate, the head security guy would have recognized him. And that other guy who called him over to look at the video.

I agree can't be Robert. But it could be someone working for Robert or some larger conspiracy member that Robert faked his death in order to combat.

BooBear, I was wondering if it was that guy the Queen was following around with a few eps ago, from her past. He had blonde hair & a mustache, although the one outside the gates didn't have a mustache.

Finally watched the episode, & it was better than I expected. The Queen being in on the setup caught me by surprise, now the question is is it true? Or did they do that to delay Liam becoming acting King? I really do hope that Cyrus dies soon, because I can't stand him.

(edited)

Dear Show-

I like you. I really do. And I'm all down with some nighttime soaps and the crack they thrive on. But, Show? This is getting way out of control now.

- maybe Ted is really MI6 himself and they are flushing out Cyrus and it went a little too far. Robert dies (in a closed coffin no less) and no one questions the closed coffin. Then the King is stabbed (and Liam should have been there as well so theoretically they both should have been stabbed) and Eleanor? Huh. Sure looks like Cyrus is murdering his way to become King. There's got to be a gotcha to all that.

- what is Helena's game, Show? Is she expecting to throw off her children and be Queen -In-Law for Cyrus? What in the world is that endgame? I don't get it. And Show? What the hell was up with that fur thing around her shoulders? At first I thought it was the most unfortunate white shirt ever, but then it turns back up again later on a formal dress and it looks like a beserker bear stole. That was purposely chosen. Show, we know she has no class- cleavage and sleeveless and diamonds in the daytime- but, she always has had taste. burn that thing. Now, please.

- what is the deal with Jasper? It's time to play that hand (Vegas reference, wink).

- only one Joan Collins? WTH?

It's getting boring. I can deal with a lot of stuff, but boring is not one of them. Pull it together, Show.

And for what it's worth, here's my prediction- Jasper ends up on the throne. Don't know how that's going to happen, but that's my prediction. And whomever called the Marcus with a crush on Ophelia? Spot on.

Edited by justawatcher
  • Love 3

Cyrus is way too cartoonishly evil, all that's missing is him twirling a moustache. He is like Scar as played by Rick Mercer.

Not sure what the Queen wants - throwing her kids under the bus, not only their public image and future as Royals, but their love and respect for her (assuming there's any left) and their connection to their father? What a horribly cruel thing to do.

At least Scar's motivations are obvious; he wants the throne for himself.

I don't mind Ophelia, not sure why all the hate except that it seems like it's common to dislike the good and pretty girls. I think she's a decent match for Liam, except for being American.

• Love 1

What the hell with Cyrus looking like he had food poisoning throughout the dungeon scene.  Are we to believe he was in a tussle with the King and was trying to cover up his wound and not vomit.

I hink he was supposed to be in need of a fix, but really, he's that big of an addict he can't go an hour without drugs? 

When the twins went to get DNA tested, I noticed a bandaid on Eleanor's arm when Liam was getting tested. Could they be going for a one is/one isn't story. That would be kinda hilarious. 

This show is just so bad, it's good. Total dirty secret pleasure show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just when it seemed like Helena & Cyrus couldn't sink any lower, they did. Setting Liam & Eleanor up to be publically humiliated at one of the worst possible times is a new low, even for them. I like Liam & Eleanor. They may be screwed up, but at least their hearts are in the right place, unlike Helena & Cyrus, who've proven time and time again, especially in this episode, that they don't have hearts. I'm not a big Ophelia fan either, but Cyrus has no right to talk shit about her nor Eleanor, for that matter. Cyrus was not only at least just as wasted as Eleanor was at the time of the lockdown, his fuck buddy had even done coke off his junk, so Cyrus has no room to talk. I've got no patience with characters being put on blast by other characters who are much worse than they are. Re Ted, he may not be the best head of security, but he must be doing something right if most of the Royal family is still alive. As for Ted's threatening to cap Cyrus for dissing Ophelia, if he had done it and been arrested, if Simon survived, I predict that Simon not only wouldn't have held it against Ted, given what happened in the previous episode, he might have given Ted a medal and a raise.

Cyrus is delightfully evil when he's not forcing himself on a maid.

That's the deal-breaker for me. Cyrus' treatment of Prudence alone is reason enough for me to root against him.

I don't trust Jasper. He brings out the worst in Eleanor and has taken advantage of her every chance he gets. That said, I don't think he had anything to do with the assassination attempt on Simon. I think Jasper knows how much Eleanor loves Simon and that losing him would destroy her. I think that Jasper thinks he cares about Eleanor, but just because he seems to care about Eleanor, that doesn't mean he's right for her.

I think that Lucius, Helena's right-hand man, might be involved in the assassination attempt. Between his loyalty to the monarchy in general and Helena in particular and his saying that Simon deserved to be attacked, Lucius either stabbed Simon himself or knows who did.

My guess about the Guy at the Gate-since it's not Robert, it's either someone who works for him, and helped him fake his death, or someone closer than that-like, say, his lover.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

It's not so much the character Ophelia that bothers me it's the actress playing her. She comes off as very smug and I think that does disservice to the character. The character would be more likeable if played by a more likeable actress.

• Love 2