Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 04/27/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

The View is still on here (Mountain Time)...and I had to put it on PAUSE because I'm ticked at Nicolle!  She is so enthralled (spell that "condescending") with/to Morgan Freeman.  Why would she say he's "the sexiest man they've ever had on The View"?  That CANNOT be her opinion.  I'm appalled.  Someone needs to send her to Suck Up 101.  Her "awed" comments are going too far.  Too far!

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 14

I so agree RP gets defensive when semi-challenged.....and sometimes the other co-host is agreeing with her and just adding another thought! But she gets this tight expression on her face and seems to stiffen up. I've noticed she is shaking her foot a lot lately.

Baltimore did turn it around yesterday as RP said, imo, but she seemed to think it is over. The report won't be delivered to the DA until Fri. Who knows when it will be made public.

• Love 4

It is painful to watch RP make her point but she seems to be talking a bit faster and trying harder and I will bet she has been told to move along more than once by the producers.  She apparently grew up with a speech impediment and I will bet she has struggled with making herself heard all her life and likely automatically gets defensive when someone doesn't let her finish.  But this is tv and she has to become more concise or truthfully when she speaks I tune her out right away.  

NW is just OTT.  Her voice, her alignment with Whoopi and her non existent interview skills can take a long walk off a short pier!  STFU, just nod and clap or go and hawk your book.  

I think this show needs to decide which direction they are taking it in before they decide on adding/deleting the panel.  If it is news they are going for then hire intelligent people who can talk about it, not comedians.  If it is entertainment then stick to those in the field.  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 6

Just watched the Morgan Freeman interview. That was painful. The questions were silly and he really wasn't into answering anything. Nicole got nervous, I think, because she muttered that the movie March of the Penguins changed her life.

Hahaha! I'm disappointed in Nicolle.   Someone that's gotten as far as she has (with the exception of this mess) should have better ass-kissing skills.  It's one thing to have a dumbass like Sherri Shepherd blurt out stupid stuff, but watching/listening/reading about a smartie like Nicolle acting so dumb is even worse to me.

It is painful to watch RP make her point but she seems to be talking a bit faster and trying harder and I will bet she has been told to move along more than once by the producers.  She apparently grew up with a speech impediment and I will bet she has struggled with making herself heard all her life and likely automatically gets defensive when someone doesn't let her finish.  But this is tv and she has to become more concise or truthfully when she speaks I tune her out right away.  

NW is just OTT.  Her voibut ce, her alignment with Whoopi and her non existent interview skills can take a long walk off a short pier!  STFU, just nod and clap or go and hawk your book.  

I think this show needs to decide which direction they are taking it in before they decide on adding/deleting the panel.  If it is news they are going for then hire intelligent people who can talk about it, not comedians.  If it is entertainment then stick to those in the field.  

Great point about defining the show Foghorn Leghorn. The Spew tries to do everything and ends up doing none of it well.

Rosie P is an actress, not a talk show host/broadcaster.  They are not the same thing (Whoopi Goldberg as Exhibit A) and apparently it's not a job anyone can do, or at least do well (look at how many talk shows tank every year).   I think this job just isn't a good fit for Rosie, nothing personal at all.  But of course that makes her perfect for The Spew. 

• Love 6

Hahaha! I'm disappointed in Nicolle.   Someone that's gotten as far as she has (with the exception of this mess) should have better ass-kissing skills.  It's one thing to have a dumbass like Sherri Shepherd blurt out stupid stuff, but watching/listening/reading about a smartie like Nicolle acting so dumb is even worse to me.

Great point about defining the show Foghorn Leghorn. The Spew tries to do everything and ends up doing none of it well.

Rosie P is an actress, not a talk show host/broadcaster.  They are not the same thing (Whoopi Goldberg as Exhibit A) and apparently it's not a job anyone can do, or at least do well (look at how many talk shows tank every year).   I think this job just isn't a good fit for Rosie, nothing personal at all.  But of course that makes her perfect for The Spew. 

Agreed Rosie P is not a good fit for the show and WG does not know how to moderate.  It is an insult to our intelligence to watch NW murder us every chance she gets with the fact she worked in the WH indicating she has intelligence then set out to prove the opposite daily on the show?!  GMAB

• Love 6

I read or heard on TV that the show's producers want Raven (have I spelled her name correctly?) to be a permanent member but I have heard her say a few too many things that just aren't true and I have to wonder if I am supposed to watch a show where incorrect information  is  given?    Each member of the cast has to have some gravitas or why should we watch?

• Love 5

I saw The Chew today with Nicole as a guest......of course she had to announce she is a Republican. Out of the blue - that statement had nothing to do with anything. The Chew VERY rarely talk about politics or current cultural events. Or never.

Sigh. I can't even imagine how she managed to land a high position in the WH or Mc'Cain's campaign. I haven't seen a glimmer how that could be. 

• Love 6

Sigh. I can't even imagine how she managed to land a high position in the WH or Mc'Cain's campaign. I haven't seen a glimmer how that could be.

HEE!  Let's not forget that McCain also selected Sarah Palin.

• Love 8
I have heard her say a few too many things that just aren't true and I have to wonder if I am supposed to watch a show where incorrect information  is  given?

I haven't watched since RO left, but when I did watch, I never watched for information, I watched for light-hearted breezy conversations.

Each member of the cast has to have some gravitas or why should we watch?

When I want gravitas I watch PBS Newshour, if I'm watching The View expecting gravitas I'm setting myself up for a major disappointment.

• Love 2

They have the woman and her son on The View... the woman who pulled her son out of the riots...... I hope they interview her respectfully instead of pandering like they normally do

The interview wasnt so bad..... they let her talk which is good... but one question.... they give crap to people all the time when they are guests on The View.... why didnt they send her and her family on a Disney cruise or some shit??

• Love 3

I wish NW would be courteous enough to either allow a guest to finish speaking and/or receive their applause from the audience before she butts in screaming her question like it is the most important in the world, she does it all the time, so rude!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 7

OMG Rosie put a sock in it ...nobody can follow anything you say.

Here's the article that was mentioned at the end of the show today concerning Rosie. I couldn't imagine paying $100 to watch a boxing match on TV. Of course I'm not a boxing fan because it seems barbaric to me to want to punch someone so hard until they pretty much pass out that will probably lead to brain damage as a sport. 

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/view-co-host-and-boxing-fan-rosie-perez-talks-mayweather-pacquiao/

I have an admission to make. Even though Cristela's laugh is annoying (it's not as annoying to me as it seems to be to others) I like her as a co-host. I can take her laugh more then I can Nicole's "I'm a Republican Mom of a toddler who's always befuddled" routine which seems like it keeps getting worse every time I decide to tune in. Looking at ratings and cancellation predictions it looks like Cristela's show probably won't make it to a season 2 so if they decide to go with her she'd probably be able to devote herself to the job full-time for the most part. My favorite part about her is that she seems like a real person who's not trying to put on an act in an attempt to relate to the viewers. 

I still like Raven even though she may say some stupid stuff at times, it's also nice that she doesn't seem to feel inclined to suck up to Whoopi. She seemed kinda off today a bit though and had some weird body language going on. She's one of the only younger people they've had on as a co-host who seem like they could actually handle the job if made permanent. 

With Cristela and Raven the show would cover more age ranges which would also broaden the views that are expressed when people other then Whoopi are allowed to share theirs. 

I'm not feeling 100% today so I apologize if my post is kinda like a jumbled mess.

• Love 6

Medicine Crow said

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't NicHole interrupt Rosie THREE times saying she "didn't even know what Hip Hop was!"?  GAWD!!

Nichole doesn't know anything about Hip Hop or who the artists are, and yet she feels she has to blurt this out and interrupt Rosie who is trying to explain the situation. Instead of keeping her mouth shut and listening, she has to tell us YET AGAIN that she is woefully ignorant about the subject. She is driving me mad with this constant dumb behavior. 

• Love 10

Dear Producers:   Nicole's dumb-shit act isn't charming.  It isn't funny.  It's IRRITATING!  Find another persona for her--oh, and it cannot involve interruptions.

cc:  Nicolle Wallace

You should post this on The View's FB page just to make sure she sees it. She's actually responded to a couple of posts there. Of course, the posts had to do with her new book out so it was probably not her responding, but her people.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 2

Medicine Crow said

Nichole doesn't know anything about Hip Hop or who the artists are, and yet she feels she has to blurt this out and interrupt Rosie who is trying to explain the situation. Instead of keeping her mouth shut and listening, she has to tell us YET AGAIN that she is woefully ignorant about the subject. She is driving me mad with this constant dumb behavior. 

Yes, she doesn't understand that sometimes being ignorant is a CHOICE.  If you don't know anything about a topic being discussed, shut your trap and LISTEN, then you will learn something.  If you interrupt when someone is talking about what you know nothing about, then you are CHOOSING to remain ignorant of the topic. 

• Love 11
(edited)

They have the woman and her son on The View... the woman who pulled her son out of the riots...... I hope they interview her respectfully instead of pandering like they normally do

The interview wasnt so bad..... they let her talk which is good... but one question.... they give crap to people all the time when they are guests on The View.... why didnt they send her and her family on a Disney cruise or some shit??

Roger, Roger, Roger....The Disney cruise would have been redundant. Everyone knows these welfare queens squander their benefits on Royal Caribbean cruises instead of fresh vegetables and electricity. ;)

Seriously though, it's been fascinating watching the rise and fall of this one concerned mother on social media. Two days ago she was Mom of the Year. Now that the record shows she's an unemployed single mother of six children, the usual suspects across the internet have descended upon her like a pack of rabid dogs.

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 5

I read or heard on TV that the show's producers want Raven (have I spelled her name correctly?) to be a permanent member but I have heard her say a few too many things that just aren't true and I have to wonder if I am supposed to watch a show where incorrect information  is  given?    Each member of the cast has to have some gravitas or why should we watch?

I will settle for even one woman with gravitas at this point. The View was conceived as a panel of intelligent women intelligently and respectfully discussing current events. To quote Rachel Green speaking at Barry and Mindy's wedding: "I think we can all agree that's not going to happen."

• Love 7

Kenz, on 30 Apr 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Medicine Crow said

Yes, she doesn't understand that sometimes being ignorant is a CHOICE.  If you don't know anything about a topic being discussed, shut your trap and LISTEN, then you will learn something.  If you interrupt when someone is talking about what you know nothing about, then you are CHOOSING to remain ignorant of the topic.

Just to clarify, it was Kenz who made the above comment in response to mind.  *Grins*

I dont mind the laughter on the show.... but I wish they would ONLY laugh at things that are funny..... when they just laugh at every comment it seems really fake

Sometimes I wonder what Cristela and Rosie P. would sound like if they were really laughing at something funny.  

• Love 4

I will settle for even one woman with gravitas at this point. The View was conceived as a panel of intelligent women intelligently and respectfully discussing current events. To quote Rachel Green speaking at Barry and Mindy's wedding: "I think we can all agree that's not going to happen."

To quote Monica Geller "I KNOW!!!"

This show is so far from what it was originally I don't even know how they can still call it the View.  Just who's view is it?  As I am no longer a viewer I can only base my opinion on what I read here and I gather this show is Whoopi's view.  And as a former viewer I can attest to the fact that Whoopi's view is very different from mine.  Which is one reason I am no longer a viewer.

Nicole's dumb-shit act isn't charming.  It isn't funny.  It's IRRITATING!

I honestly think she is playing to the Republican base.  You know, the ones who think having a brain is elitist.  While I do believe Elisabeth Hasselbeck was truly as dumb as stump, Nicolle Wallace is not.  And the fact that she plays like she is makes her even worse.  For the life of me I do not understand why women think playing dumb benefits them in any way.  Unless of course you are angling for a job on Fox News.  Oh well, there is my answer.  Maybe NW is looking ahead to after the View finally breathes it's last breath.

• Love 10

LOL, susie, well-played!

Now you have me wondering about Nicolle. I don't remember where I read it, but * apparently * data exists that shows conservatives are brighter and better-educated than liberals. So who are these people and where have they gone?

• Love 1

Maybe the producers are telling her to act and play stupid? And that the money she's getting paid makes her amenable to it? I dunno. I'd never heard of her before Game Change.  I don't watch Morning Joe, so didn't know that she was the "Cackles" everyone there was referring to. After her stint on Bill Maher's show last year? I got what they meant and wondered how HBO got away with having Sarah Paulson play her as an intelligent person.

• Love 2

Now you have me wondering about Nicolle. I don't remember where I read it, but * apparently * data exists that shows conservatives are brighter and better-educated than liberals. So who are these people and where have they gone?

I had heard the opposite.  That it's liberals who are brighter and better educated.  And since I happen to be one, I'm going to believe that. LOL

• Love 16

More Conservatives play dumb... If you watch their "news" channel..... so often they start a story with "I don't understand...." There are many examples of hosts who are quite intelligent pretending they don't know basic information.... kinda like we see Nicholle act on The View. Maybe they do it because they don't have much respect for their audience so they pretend ignorance to stoop to their level so they don't talk down to them. Personally I think their audience is much smarter than they give them credit for.

Joy is on today's show.... and still there isn't much to talk about

• Love 3
There are many examples of hosts who are quite intelligent pretending they don't know basic information.... kinda like we see Nicholle act on The View.

I hope that scheme isn't limited to one gender.

That it's liberals who are brighter and better educated.  And since I happen to be one, I'm going to believe that.

And didn't the data show it's left-handed liberals?

• Love 1

I tuned in on Wednesday to see if they'd mention the passing of Suzanne Crough, which of course they didn't.   I had to change channels because I couldn't take Nicolle.  Is being a Republican really all she's got?   Last time I checked, anyone who registered to vote could be one if that's what they wanted.  It's not like she had to pass a test or be invited.  It's just not that special and normal people don't work their political party into every conversation.  She ought to have lots of interesting stories to tell but I've never heard one.    I expected so much more when she first came on the show.

• Love 8
(edited)

I had to change channels because I couldn't take Nicolle.  Is being a Republican really all she's got?   Last time I checked, anyone who registered to vote could be one if that's what they wanted.  It's not like she had to pass a test or be invited.  It's just not that special and normal people don't work their political party into every conversation.  She ought to have lots of interesting stories to tell but I've never heard one.    I expected so much more when she first came on the show.

Yep - I swear, Nicole orders in a restaurant by saying "As a Republican, I'll have the bacon burger with fries."  When she gets her hair done, it's "As a republican, I'd like more highlights."   etc. etc.  

I like to think people are more complex than just their political affiliation, but I guess some people are not. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 11
(edited)

I think that Nicole knows she got this job because she is the token Republican conservative, and she feels she needs to remind everyone of that fact. As much as I disliked Bitsy, at least she didn't say she was a Republican several times a show, as far as I can remember. I actually would prefer Elizabeth over Nichole Wallace as the conservative on the show, even though she irritated me most of the time. In retrospect, she seemed more genuine than Nichole does. (They do have their super annoying voices in common!)

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 3
(edited)

It was a nice surprise to see Joy this morning - wasn't expecting her!

I must have gotten a huge puff of dust in my eyes during the children's fashion show, as they were teary for the entire segment.  It's been a long time since anything on this show has moved me that much. 

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 3

I'm glad I happened to randomly check in around 11:10 this morning--Joy! It pisses me off that they don't list when she's on.

Anyway, I don't have much to add, since I kind of ignored everyone else when they were talking. I did hear Cristela whoever say something about being criticized for her laugh... Must've been reading feedback to the show, poor thing. And am I the only one who finds Nicolle really condescending whenever she uses one of the other co-hosts' names...? Whoopi is still a trainwreck who needs to GTFO.

• Love 1
(edited)

In Nicolle's defense (I know, I know...), being a Republican has been her brand pretty much her entire adult working life. She went from working for Republicans at the highest state level to working for them at the highest national level. She then went on to a high level position on the staff of the Republican nominee for president in his campaign, and after that she went on to be pretty specifically defined as a Republican pundit for some time. The View was looking for a Republican and in large part she was hired very specifically to play the role of "the Republican" on the panel. It is, I think, largely how she really does define herself professionally, so I don't find it all that surprising that she has a very unfortunate habit of falling back on that self definition when she's trying to play that role that says "I'm a Republican and therefore conservative and uncool and unfamiliar with the things that preoccupy the little people like pop culture." I don't buy that BS for a second, but I think she sees it as the role she was hired to play.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 5

Someone by the name of Michael Corbett was supposed to be on the show today.  So was Joy asked to be a fill-in host?  I don't really care because I just love seeing Joy.  She elevates the conversation.

It was a nice surprise to see Joy this morning - wasn't expecting her!

I must have gotten a huge puff of dust in my eyes during the children's fashion show, as they were teary for the entire segment.  It's been a long time since anything on this show has moved me that much. 

Affirmed and seconded to your whole post.  I didn't know Joy would be there, and it was such a pleasant surprise that I watched the whole show.  It's so good to have someone I like.  Until Joy left, and then RosieO left, I didn't know it would make that much of a difference to me.  Having no one i like on the panel has made me a non-viewer.

And yes, I only watched the "viewer of the week" thing because Joy was on, and damn, those kids had me blinking back tears when they did the modeling.  I kept thinking, nothing can top THIS kid, and then the next one would come out and be just as special in a completely different way.  It was really a great segment.

• Love 3

Just watched the Morgan Freeman interview. That was painful. The questions were silly and he really wasn't into answering anything. Nicole got nervous, I think, because she muttered that the movie March of the Penguins changed her life.

Yeah, I just watched this now,.Morgan Freeman is an interesting guy, and usually gives a great interview.  The man is smart, if you let him TALK.  But, The View ladies spend time TELLING him about his movie, TELLING him about his granddaughter, asking yes/no questions, then asking him to do a word association    - say ONE word about the movie they call out.  WTF?

It's MORGAN FREEMAN  - ask him what he's been up to lately, then sit back and let him tell a story - it's what he does.  

• Love 7

I've come to the conclusion that the producers/director of this show are all complete idiots.   Because none of them could carry on an interesting conversation (let alone a smart interview), they assume no one else can...thus the crappy games they've started.  Just talk to the people...GEEZ!

• Love 3

That Freeman interview sounds awful. I cant even watch this mess anymore so I looked around at the other shows

I caught a second of Meredith's show and she was playing some game-are there people who like to watch these things on tv? I am not one of them. I hate what Meredith Viera has become-or her show at least.

Caught a bit of The Talk and they said they were extending their "hot topics" (maybe they call it something else) because audiences had requested that. It wasn't bad but after thirty minutes, they were back with a cooking segment. If I want to watch a cooking segment, I will watch The Chew or Rachael Ray. The Talk is doing it much better than the others right now.

• Love 2

It's MORGAN FREEMAN  - ask him what he's been up to lately, then sit back and let him tell a story - it's what he does.

Not for me.  He used to be one of my all-time favorite actors.  When he married his step-granddaughter (who had grown up in the house with him), I was finished with him.  Kind of a Woody Allen situation.  Old pervert.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not for me. He used to be one of my all-time favorite actors. When he married his step-granddaughter (who had grown up in the house with him), I was finished with him. Kind of a Woody Allen situation. Old pervert.

Eeeeeewwwww! I guess I missed that.

Creepy.

Their interviewing still sucks.

ETA: is this true, though? I can't find confirmation of it, and there were some denials from Freeman.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

I tuned in on Wednesday to see if they'd mention the passing of Suzanne Crough, which of course they didn't.   I had to change channels because I couldn't take Nicolle.  Is being a Republican really all she's got?   Last time I checked, anyone who registered to vote could be one if that's what they wanted.  It's not like she had to pass a test or be invited.  It's just not that special and normal people don't work their political party into every conversation.  She ought to have lots of interesting stories to tell but I've never heard one.    I expected so much more when she first came on the show.

Yes, that's it.  That's all she's got. A political hack with irritating voice modulation problems who frequently admits to not knowing anything about a wide range of the topics seems like an odd choice for host of a show about women with differing viewpoints discussing a wide range of topics. I think her frequent pronouncements have two purposes.  Declaring that she knows nothing about about pop culture is intended to make her seem "intellectual" and act as a defense against criticism. She is a political animal getting ahead of the story.  It may work for her, but not for the audience. She simply is not interesting. Worse, she frequently interrupts guests who are interesting. Her screeching is so unbearable to me at times, I have to change the channel to escape the pain. I used to watch the show because I enjoyed hearing the hosts takes on current events. Now I only watch when there is a guest on who interests me. There is only one reason Nicole Wallace is on the show, and we all know what it is.

• Love 4