Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: Family Dinner

Also, maybe it was because I had twins, but I always corralled my kids at that age whether they could walk or not. Nothing more annoying than little ones pawing at everything at the store & whining to have it.

If Josh can't control his 3 kids at their current ages, with one sitting in the cart, he's in for a rude awakening when the rest start coming.  I was hoping the kids were told to behave like that for the cameras.  My kids did not act like that in the store, it's called parenting!  My guess is that it's their usual behavior, as they seemed to be rewarded with cookies during the shopping trip.

• Love 5

I thought that it was nice that Josh went out of his way to buy an expensive rack of lamb because Jill said that it was what she wanted. Those suckers are expensive but so good.

I think Anna is the one who was craving lamb. This episode was beyond boring.

Very boring overall. I stated in the Josh and Anna thread that unfortunately, these two are becoming very boring. Unless they start taking field trips around the DC area, beyond the farmer's market and grocery store, viewers are not going to tune in to see Anna play with her kids. Josh's job is off limits and he's not available for filming as much as he was in the past.

It makes me wonder how much time Derrick has available for filming, DC isn't around the corner from Arkansas. Unless this was filmed on a weekend, Derrick was off work again. 

I hope this is the right episode, but Jessa mentioned that Ben was at work. Is he working someplace locally, or still doing odd jobs for

Jim Bob?

• Love 1

The Derick/baby seat thing didn't bother me because when I became a Grandmother for the first time 9 years ago I had to be shown how the hell to safely get my precious Granddaughter in that seat as secure as possible! Quite frankly, I was scared to death the first time I had her in my car alone! However, I did quickly notice that as Derick was strapping the baby in that it was a Britax car seat, which is what I bought for each of my Granddaughters. Don't know if it still is, but 9 & 7 years ago, it was the "Cadillac" (i.e., most expensive) of ALL baby car seats. These people aren't hurting, to be sure. Of course, having your life on film - scripted or not - can't be easy, either, so who knows.

Britax got that reputation because a few years ago they were virtually the only car seat available in the US that allowed you to rear face beyond the 1yr 20lb mark. Today they are far from the most expensive and longest lasting but their reputation has stuck and you have people like Josh and Anna who think their kids are safe simply by being in a Britax. Not true at all and I don't think I've ever seen their kids properly bucked. Marcus shouldn't even be forward facing yet according to current AAP and NHTSA guidelines. Rolled my eyes big time at Josh's comment about buckling the kids in when he clearly has no idea how to do it either.

• Love 2

What I thought was kind of maybe strange (?) was that for such a religious family, when Josh and family sat down for dinner  they just all began to eat.  Even I (a Catholic and according to them not Christian) pray before meals.  They didn't.  Just found it different from what they say do - maybe in their belief system they don't feel the need to bless the meal and thank God for the food. 

Also Anna's surprise that the "men folk" could actually get a meal together and how she had to hold herself back not to help.  

I was thinking that probably got cut out, because it was too wordy, too long, too religious, too...whatever.

JB needs to get a life, and get out of his daughter's dormitory.  His insistence that they keep their room the same was getting weird.

Was this the episode where Jill goes to the ritzy store to look at fabric swatches to decorate the baby's nursery? They must be bringing in some good cash.  When I had my kids, I went to Home Depot for a gallon of paint, and some wall clings, and made my own curtains.  Now I feel like I robbed my kids. :(  Not really. :)

• Love 5

The Derick/baby seat thing didn't bother me because when I became a Grandmother for the first time 9 years ago I had to be shown how the hell to safely get my precious Granddaughter in that seat as secure as possible!

I was more concerned with why they were putting baby Marcus back behind Mackynize and Michael. I hope I saw that wrong.

I feel the painting of the girl's room was further proof the kids are way more comfortable around Jim Bob. I can't imagine Jana yanking on Michelle's arm to try to get her to paint over the horse like she did with her father. It was one of the more natural interactions I've seen Jana have with a parent and I don't see it ever happening with Mom.

I loved Mackynzie`s face when her brother said they would someday be a family of 10 boys and 1 girl. You could almost see her face saying, Oh Hell no! I ain't gonna be responsible for all that!"

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 12

Poor Jana.  Thank God JimBoob's sister was there to run over and help out.  Jana went in the ambulance and I hope Grandma did too.  She should not have to go through that! 

I too hope that Jana still really wants to share a room with all of those girls and she just doesn't feel like there is no other option, or she is a bad and selfish person if she were to request a room to herself.  I have my doubts about her wanting to room with the littles.

JESSA, you have all that time home alone, not working, while Binjermin is at his "job" so why aren't you practicing your cooking?!  Everyday try to learn a new skill.  There are plenty of books with simple recipes out there.  Ugh.  What a waste of time.  No excuse for her bad cooking.  Great cooks would like to have those shiney new appliances.

Was the "salad" that Smugger bought and prepared just lettuce?  Looked like it.

• Love 1

This episode was boring and yet there were a few things that kept me entertained.  

I thought it was funny when Derick tried to cradle hold Marcis and Marcus was like, "Hell NO!"  Derick played along with the whole male bonding over children.  He looked over the cameras and forced situations already. He didn't seem that engaged with the M'kids.  That was understandable because he hasn't been around them that long and wasn't used to kids in general. I think he was holding their hands by the end of that segment.

I laughed when he said that he couldn't imagine shopping with 3 kids alone. Derick and Jill are super fertile (or it was a lucky shot) and Jill is going for a record number of children. 3 is just the beginning.  If that wasn't a scripted statement, he is in for a big surprise.  

I didn't need to see Jill and Anna bond over being pregnant. However, it looked like a real moment and they needed that bonding time together.  

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 2

I had a couple thoughts about this episode:

#1 If Mackynzie is 5 1/2 why isn't she in a booster seat? I looked at it twice & it looks more like an infant seat!

#2 Josh...some plain lettuce in a bowl is not a salad.

#3 The timeline is so off, if Jill was 31 weeks pregnant that was mid-late January why was this the 1st time Jessa cooked a meal? Their house was done by mid-late November.

• Love 1
JESSA, you have all that time home alone, not working, while Binjermin is at his "job" so why aren't you practicing your cooking?!

Incubating the next blessing and posting bible verses on Instagram keeps her busy enough.

• Love 3

I thought it was funny that Jessa almost baked the owners manual. I wouldn't have remembered to remove those either!

Me either! When I was on college I forgot to remove the cardboard from a frozen pizza one time. 

How did Jessa get those sweet potato fries cut so thin?  She had to have a food processor or some other method; no way she sliced them all.

Possibly a mandoline slicer. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

Poor Jessa.  I thought she was going to cut those potatoes into wedges.  Those potato (shavings?) did not look appetizing, but I do applaud her attempts at making a healthy dinner.  My first post-honeymoon meal consisted of a gorgeous and beautifully browned fried chicken, only to find the inside was very pink and bloody! So, my hat's off to Jessa!

• Love 1

#1 If Mackynzie is 5 1/2 why isn't she in a booster seat? I looked at it twice & it looks more like an infant seat!

#3 The timeline is so off, if Jill was 31 weeks pregnant that was mid-late January why was this the 1st time Jessa cooked a meal? Their house was done by mid-late November.

At 5.5 Mac is perfectly fine in a 5pt harness. IF she is big enough for a booster it's unlikely she has the maturity to sit properly. The Duggar's are horrible with car seats but not rushing her into a booster is one of the few things they are doing right.

I don't think they care too much about matching up timelines. The last time they showed the kids doing homework (I think it was the honeymoon epi) the date in the notebook was September.

Re: #1 I don't know how much the car seat laws vary by state, but they are ridiculous where I am (California).  I'm fairly short, and I swear if they keep increasing the heights and weights I'll have to be using one soon. My 5.5 year old niece's car seat is so huge it makes the entire rear seat of their vehicle (a station wagon no less) useless except for that seat. So Mackynzie could well still be in what used to be considered an 'infant' seat.

#2 I was glad they at least had vegetables that didn't involve tater tots.

• Love 2

Is anyone else sick of how often the producers need to show the youngest kids "weighing in" on whatever's happening during an interview? They clearly don't want to be there, and it's annoying to see the same crap of two kids around the age of three kicking their feet and writhing their arms around while saying "ababa I like Ben", then making more noises and continuing to flail. I guess all the kids are supposed to get a certain amount of screen time, but I really don't need to keep seeing little kids who would need tranquilizers to look at the camera properly tell me what's going on.

• Love 3

Re: #1 I don't know how much the car seat laws vary by state, but they are ridiculous where I am (California).  I'm fairly short, and I swear if they keep increasing the heights and weights I'll have to be using one soon. My 5.5 year old niece's car seat is so huge it makes the entire rear seat of their vehicle (a station wagon no less) useless except for that seat. So Mackynzie could well still be in what used to be considered an 'infant' seat.

#2 I was glad they at least had vegetables that didn't involve tater tots.

I know! I haven't had to deal with car seats in a long time (my kids are between 24 and 29 and there are no grandbabies on the horizon yet), but every time I hear something, it seems that the laws have changed yet again.

I realize that a lot of studies have gone into (and no doubt continue to go into) the safest way for a child to ride in a car, but having been brought up in an era when even seatbelts were used only sporadically, it's hard for me to imagine keeping track of what the latest bells and whistles might be as far as car seats.

My two older kids were born in the USA and both had forward-facing car seats as were required at that time. I'm pretty sure the seat my daughter used as an infant was a hand-me-down from her brother after he outgrew it, though these days it would no doubt have gone obsolete in the two years between them. Some two years later we were stationed in Scotland, and only had the one car seat for my daughter, which was the toddler size. When my younger son was born there, we had not yet bought a car seat when they decided to release me from one hospital to another (I'd had some complications, so was in a hospital across the Loch from where we lived), and car seats were not always readily available. My husband told the staff that we did not have a car seat yet, and they said, "that's OK...you have a carrier, he'll be fine".  We did manage to get a car seat in the next few days, but I'm sure it wasn't the latest and greatest model. I do remember my son at the age of about four sitting in the car wearing a seatbelt, so booster seats must not have been required at that point. I have no idea when all these things got phased in.

As I say, I do understand why it is that the laws regarding these things change, but it's strange to look back on the early days of your own children and imagine how negligent you would be perceived for doing exactly the same things now as you did then.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 2

I busted out laughing twice during this episode. First when Michael said there was a pig running around out there with no feet - Second when Jessa cooked the paperwork in the oven. I know both were probably staged, but I still laughed.

I dont know that they were staged. Kids do pop out with some hilarious comments from time to time. And baking the owner's manual -- I've done things like that. Those are the moments that strike me as the most real.

• Love 3

Ok is no one else really disgusted with Michelle saying one of the things she was most excited about as a teenage bride was that they could SHARE A TOOTHBRUSH if they wanted to. Please tell me they don't do this now, or make the kids do that. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 9

I could completely see accidentally baking the owner's manual. I'd be thinking "ooh ahh my new oven" and assume it was ready to use, most likely. Even if they did re-enact the moment for the show, it wouldn't surprise me if it really happened at some point.  She'll be the one to roast the giblets inside the turkey or chicken the first time she cooks one too, I bet (I did it... I know lots of people have).

• Love 1

Also, Derrick is coming off as maybe not Smug, but arrogant and know it all. This is so disappointing. I had high hopes that he was fairly normal. 

When Derrick and Jill did the PSA about Nepal, why did he say he was doing humanitarian work, instead of serving as a missionary. If he's not doing anything wrong, why hide it or spin it? That grated on me, as did his mentioning Nepal not as the place he served, but as where he and Jill met and THEN mentioned humanitarian work.

Lastly, LEARN TO USE PREPOSITIONS. Saying Nepal was important to both Jill and I's hearts or whatever he garbled makes me want to scream. I HATE when people use I, myself, etc., improperly.

I could completely see accidentally baking the owner's manual. I'd be thinking "ooh ahh my new oven" and assume it was ready to use, most likely. Even if they did re-enact the moment for the show, it wouldn't surprise me if it really happened at some point.  She'll be the one to roast the giblets inside the turkey or chicken the first time she cooks one too, I bet (I did it... I know lots of people have).

Both sides of my family are huge, as my husbands is even bigger, and we all LOVE to gravitate towards the kitchen, where someone is always cooking something - chopping, slicing, baking, marinating, canning, etc., but I STILL accidentally scorch one of those decorative burner covers at least once per year. I can cut Jessa some slack for not taking out the owner's manual. I have also roasted a giblet bag - this is so common, they're usually made now to withstand heat.

• Love 4

Well I never did anything like that. After all a cornish game hen is not anything like a turkey or a chicken right LOL :-)

• Love 2
Lastly, LEARN TO USE PREPOSITIONS. Saying Nepal was important to both Jill and I's hearts or whatever he garbled makes me want to scream. I HATE when people use I, myself, etc., improperly.

A pet peeve of mine as well, RazzleberryPie ! When one of the Duggars (those that can be understood, that is) starts with the improper grammar gymnastics I always hear Austin Powers saying "Allow myself to...introduce myself "   :)

• Love 4

A pet peeve of mine as well, RazzleberryPie ! When one of the Duggars (those that can be understood, that is) starts with the improper grammar gymnastics I always hear Austin Powers saying "Allow myself to...introduce myself "   :)

Both Jessa and Jinger's forced dropping of every 'g' drives me insane, too. I get regional dialects. I enjoy hearing Southern, Appalachian, Bostonian, Joisey, Texan, etc. accents/dialects. But whereas, say, the Bates, sound natural in talkin' about fixin' to do this or that, Jessa sounds like she's trying her hardest to sound dumber than Ben, and to be some sort of gun totin', Bible quotin' Southern Belle. 

• Love 9

My favorite knife - even though I have a nice set of knives - has always been my bread knife

Me too!  I use my serrated knife for loads of slicing.  Fresh tomatoes, meatloaf, pound cake, etc. ....and occasionally bread! 

I'm surprised Anna was able to stomach the smell of roasting lamb.  It's usually really a strong smell. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Yes, and that "g droppin'" is very recent. Joy has also taken to doing it. It's annoying.

OK good, I'm not going crazy because I too was noticing how their accents didn't become exaggerated until recently.

• Love 3

Me too! I use my serrated knife for loads of slicing. Fresh tomatoes, meatloaf, pound cake, etc. ....and occasionally bread!

I'm surprised Anna was able to stomach the smell of roasting lamb. It's usually really a strong smell.

That's so funny because I'm the exact opposite. I hate my serrated knife and use my chef's knife for everything instead! Too bad we can't do some kind of forum cutlery swap or something:)

I was also really surprised Anna had even had lamb given that she probably grew up on Spaghettios and bologna. The smell of lamb makes me sick to my stomach, it does seem to be an odd choice for a pregnancy craving.

• Love 4

Re: the g dropping, it drove my mother nuts and she corrected people (not me, I knew better) by telling them to find the "g".  She never misused "I" and "me".  And she grew up in the hollows of West Virginia.  You can be grammatically correct with an accent.

Re: cooking    I am terrible at cooking.  I always was.  But the real problem for me is probably that I am totally uninterested in food.  When I go out and the waitstaff is telling what is in the ingredients I try to get them to stop, because it sounds like slop to me.  I will eat only plain food.  Discrete food.  No mixed up stuff.  No a little dab of this and that and add to…  Nope.  I tend to make myself hard boiled eggs and toast at home.  That's the way I am, and I don't care anymore.  If I ever cared about food, I probably would have made an effort, but I don't.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 5

The g dropping- I'm southern born and raised, when I moved up north in 2012 I noticed I sounded dumb.. The people I know don't say yall or fixin like I do and I've tried hard to change the way I talk, I don't know why jessa or any of them would want to make themselves sound that way...

I've also gotten a lot of smack talk from my husband for saying hose pipe (garden hose) and buggy ( grocery cart)

Again things constantly trying to change about myself and yet they are trying to do the opposite. Weird if you ask me

And jessa cooking her owners manual lmbo!! I'm not the best cook by no means and I don't know my way around a kitchen really. Sad I know. We bought a house so of course brand new appliances and I cooked my owners manual :( I've also managed to melt pot handles as well 2 to be exact. And I won't even mention how many of the bottoms of my cutting boards have round burn marks from the stove top. I can't judge jessa on this

Sorry for Grammer mistakes it's 2 am and I'm up with a sick baby

• Love 2

hlemommy, don't wipe everything out!  It's charming, and it's a bit of the Scots-Irish English.  I remember the term buggy, and my grandmother would call her purse a pocketbook and also called it something else that I can't recall, and now suppose I will never hear again.

I'm with you on burning things!  I remember my husband getting a new skillet and warning me not to touch it.  I didn't for months, and then one day thought it was just perfect for something I was going to fry.  I thought, oh, so he'll never know.  You guessed it.  I cleaned that thing with everything that was in me and got it pretty clean after a lot of time and work, but when he came home, he knew!  I was so shocked and guess I looked too guilty for him to be mad, so he laughed.  That's the way we got along.    Anyway, remember not to lose all the charming language.

• Love 2

hlemommy, don't wipe everything out! It's charming, and it's a bit of the Scots-Irish English. I remember the term buggy, and my grandmother would call her purse a pocketbook and also called it something else that I can't recall, and now suppose I will never hear again.

I'm with you on burning things! I remember my husband getting a new skillet and warning me not to touch it. I didn't for months, and then one day thought it was just perfect for something I was going to fry. I thought, oh, so he'll never know. You guessed it. I cleaned that thing with everything that was in me and got it pretty clean after a lot of time and work, but when he came home, he knew! I was so shocked and guess I looked too guilty for him to be mad, so he laughed. That's the way we got along. Anyway, remember not to lose all the charming language.

Maybe I should put this is small talk? I still say pocket book I feel awkward saying purse :-\

• Love 1

So Jessa and Ben get a free (remodeled) home courtesy of Jim Bob.  And he buys the furniture as well!  Did he also pay for Jill's furniture?  I liked the way he tried to spin it that the new furniture he got for Jessa was actually less expensive than if he had bought used.  I guess "buy used and save the difference" doesn't apply to Jessa.  He must be loaded.  How many kids can he possibly do this for.

• Love 3

So Jessa and Ben get a free (remodeled) home courtesy of Jim Bob.  And he buys the furniture as well!  Did he also pay for Jill's furniture?  I liked the way he tried to spin it that the new furniture he got for Jessa was actually less expensive than if he had bought used.  I guess "buy used and save the difference" doesn't apply to Jessa.  He must be loaded.  How many kids can he possibly do this for.

Bruce Jenner said when he got together with KK they were both kind of hurting for money.  He credited their tv series for putting them back on top financially! 

Maybe the furniture was their wedding present from Boob and Michelle? Usually parents who have the means give a newly married son or daughter cash or a more extravagant gift than your typical towels and blenders.

• Love 1

Maybe the furniture was their wedding present from Boob and Michelle? Usually parents who have the means give a newly married son or daughter cash or a more extravagant gift than your typical towels and blenders.

I get an extravagant gift but damn! A house and furniture? I'm assuming the car is also provided by JB. Since these two have no visible jobs, is JB giving them money for the utilities as well? And then gas for their cars? And now another mouth to feed?

I know Ben is young but having to go to your wife's father for your weekly allowance to provide for your family is just sad.

For all their talk about the optimal temperature of the house, I'll bet ya JB controls that thermostat remotely.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 3

It could be Boob's way of repaying the girls for picking up the slack for their nutjob mother for two decades.

Regarding Binjerman I'm wondering if Boob is paying him on the books. Given the Duggars' penchant for tax issues it's in Benny Boy's best interest to make sure his toilet scrubber salary is on the up and up.

• Love 3
(edited)

He must be loaded.  How many kids can he possibly do this for.

The Duggars are millionaires. And while the houses are very nice, it isn't like they are multi-million dollar Beverly Hills homes. They are Arkansas McMansions and starter homes.  He can probably do it for all of the kids if the TV show keeps happening.

The married kids are probably making decent money off of People.  And while they spend way more than in the "buy used save the difference" days they don't seem to spend really extravagantly. So it could last a pretty good amount of time. They just need to figure out how to build and sell their brand.  If Jessa started a lifestyle/fashion blog she could probably get tons of stuff comped and make good income for example.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 2

Jess's earned money from her book, they would be paid for speaking fees, from PEOPLE, and then whatever JB pays them. If they make 40-50K a year this way, they are still earning far more than most people their age, and the same amount most American families live off of.

• Love 3

But People only pays for exclusive pictures right? And maybe a little something something to ensure that they get to drop important "news" first? They can't possibly go around paying every person they interview for every article, that sounds insane. I always thought that being in a gossip/celebrity mag was more of a mutually beneficial exchange of publicity (for the celebs) vs copies/ads sold (the magazines), not an actual financial transaction between the parties involved. But I could definitely be wrong here, I'm not all that familiar with American showbiz.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was great seeing that Jessa put some time and effort into preparing a dinner that didn't come right out of a can or the freezer like all the other dinners on this show. Now if she could only convince Ben to take something for his stuffed up sinuses so he could actually taste her food, then she'll be a winner.

She worried me with that hammer at first. Hopefully Homegirl will get a clue and use a cutting board next time she decides to pound out meat on a granite countertop with a hammer (she thinks she's so clever). Nice way to crack a brand new slab of granite, Genius.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 4

But People only pays for exclusive pictures right? And maybe a little something something to ensure that they get to drop important "news" first? They can't possibly go around paying every person they interview for every article, that sounds insane. I always thought that being in a gossip/celebrity mag was more of a mutually beneficial exchange of publicity (for the celebs) vs copies/ads sold (the magazines), not an actual financial transaction between the parties involved. But I could definitely be wrong here, I'm not all that familiar with American showbiz.

People apparently pays for photos and not interviews, but they've done enough photo spreads in the last few months to likely earn more than I do in an entire year. Not a bad living at all.