Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual White House Correspondents Association Dinner Topic (CSpan)

I think I agreed with Cecily more than I found her funny. I thought she was right about everything she said and that she was courageous for going into those topics, but the jokes didn't really make me laugh. I was reading through some of the responses on twitter and the responses there also seemed to be more about liking the "truth bombs" she dropped than if the speech was funny or not. I think that aspect really resonated with people. Or maybe people just talk about the truth bombs every year after the WHCD because that's kind of the point of the dinner. I haven't really paid attention before.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

Looking at YouTube, it looks like Bill Clinton was pretty good at this too, though Obama has a certain advantage over Clinton in this department as a result of all the crap he has to deal with - in the same way that a comic's material is funnier when he's unemployed, has just been dumped by his girlfriend, is in debt, etc.

George W., on the other hand, needs to stick to his day job.

I think they all look at their notes, but none of the recent ones have worn falsies.

I heard Joel McHale's 2014 appearance on NPR's Fresh Air a couple of weeks back and he said that he didn't give his speech to the teleprompter guys beforehand.  He said that CNN, C-Span, etc., all wanted to see the speech (supposedly so they'd know where to aim the cameras and when) but he didn't give anyone the speech.  this was - he said - on the advice of several of the previous keynote speakers.

Edited by fastiller

On CNN, D.L. Hughley mentioned that he was invited during the Bush regime but declined because they wanted to see his material before hand.

Yeah, I'm thinking that for Obama's last year they should get Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert.

Yeah, I'm thinking that for Obama's last year they should get Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert.

Jon Stewart AND Stephen Colbert. My god, they would be brilliant. Jon Stewarts "Bullshit Mountain" alone rants would be awesome. Do it, guys!! Do it!!

Obama was brilliant, loved it. I'm going to miss him when he's not our President anymore.

Also, good on Keegan Michael Key for getting to do comedy with the Prez, he's so talented.

• Love 8

I just finished Cecily's piece and there were many funny moments but the line that made me laugh hardest, possibly because no one had previously mentioned it, was her crack about Obama's white hair.

Obama was, as usual, very funny.  The anger translator was hilarious.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1
(edited)
Khaleesi is the title of Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones, given to her when she married Khal Drogo in the first episode and it basically translates as Queen.  Westeros is where everyone else is as well as the kingdom she plans to conquer and rule.  She's been across the sea for the entire story and hasn't made her move yet but everyone knows she will.  Hope that clears it up.

Also, blonde.

And I absolutely loved Luther and the "rhymes with bucket" list.

Edited by Hanahope

No one, especially the humorless Hillary, is going to be able to even get close to his performance.

I don't think Hillary is humorless.  She's done pretty well on Letterman and SNL.  But, yeah, Obama really excels at this.