Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E21: How To Save A Life

• Start Topic

I haven't cared about Grey's in a LONG time. It's basically something I watch when I don't feel like doing something else so I have no real attachment to Derek or MerDer or any of it really. So these are my observations. 

As much as I know it sucks for fans of the couple, I thought this was a decent sendoff. If they had to end MerDer they had to kill Derek. Having him be an absentee, cheating husband would've been a spit in the face to fans. They killed him after showing him doing what he does best. PD was lovingly lit and photographed. Honestly all those shots of him with just the blue, blue sky as the background while his signature hair looked lustrous and full over his blue, blue eyes and his blue, blue shirt. My HD tv just made sweet love to him through all the street scenes. "It's a beautiful day to save lives." Well it was a beautiful day and he saved four of them.

I don't know whether to credit or ding Shonda for the foreshadowing when Mer was trying to get the kids out of the house and she told Zola to hurry up because when surgeons are late, people die.

I understand that people are still at the anger stage and, trust me, I know that pain but I think given the real life circumstances of Dempsey wanting out, it could've been worse. JMHO.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

Meredith throwing up was possibly a throwback to season one? I distinctly remember some vomit.

I expect a second McBaby, as Derek recently said he wanted another baby.

• Love 3

Well Derek's death profoundly changes Mer's story in the 11th hour. If Shonda always intended this, great -- although I wouldn't have signed on to watch it for a decade if I'd suspected. If Shonda did it because PD wanted to leave a year early, then I wish she'd been more inventive like ER so that one core romantic relationship could be preserved. I won't re-watch earlier seasons now that I know how the story ends for them.

I respect Shonda as a businesswoman but her shows are great on initial concept but weak on longer term execution so I won't get sucked into another.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 6

The only point in the script, which was no doubt accidental, that had my attention was Mer redirecting the crying intern to use A Very Special Dark Moment in Bullshit Neorealism to just buck up and be better. By this point, the episode was so meta for me - it was my only way to cope - I had to imagine TV genres talking back and forth.

I was suddenly watching an After School Special.

• Love 3
As soon as she introduced herself as Dr. Meredith Grey, I was hoping that she would throw a line that she was the daughter of Ellis Grey.  As soon as they knew that he was a doctor and his name was Derek, they should have immediately known who he was.

I'm surprised the neuro didn't shat his pants when Mer introduced herself as "Dr Grey". The name associated with TWO Harper-Avery awards? The woman who pioneered whatever-method the writers mentioned in the first season. Congrats guy! You just killed THE Dr Shepard and the husband of a Grey.

• Love 6

My browser has died twice now, and I'm not going back to find the posts a third time, so I'm sorry I won't be attributing this quote, which was priceless

Derek: Shot; died in an inappropriate parking accident."

I didn't have any trouble with Meredith being "cold," shock was one factor, the other (in my own experience) is some people retreat to a seemingly cold precision while trying to process the unthinkable.

As for Shondra, she is the showrunner for what, at least 3 shows? Watch the documentary "Showrunners" on Netflix - it is mindboggling that she continues to be involved with so many shows. IIRC, Grey's was her first - and she was able to focus on it alone for a few years. The other shows were exceptional in their first seasons. While I might not like how some of the shows have developed (stopped watching Scandal after the second season - when the first season was the only show I ever binge watched), I respect the efforts she has made, and the truly integrated casts she has on her shows.

I don't particularly care that McDreamy died (he was always McDouchey in my eyes), but it being brought about by his own stupidity (and then doctors' incompetence) did seem a bit much.

On a lighter note - guess Alex will get that board position now, right?

• Love 1

Seinfeld, for one--that show was hugely popular but Jerry didn't want to do it anymore.

But apparently EP does and as often pointed out, she's the Grey in the title. That would be the closest to Seinfeld wanting to call it quits.

Just to clarify, I totally meant in my initial post that BOTH Ellen and Patrick were the stars, and that if she wanted to do one more year and he didn't they should just have had a reason for him to be gone, and then had them reunite. He could have just been in DC, with lip service paid to visiting with Mer and the kids offscreen, and maybe a dramatic near-affair for Meredith to keep things spicy. And I'm sure PD would have come back for the requisite finale episode to bring them back together for the end of the show.

But that's not "OMG" enough for fucking Shonda.

• Love 9

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was too outraged at the pathetic recycled storylines (and songs!) to be emotional about them killing Derek by the end of the episode. Hell, this wasn't even the first Grey's character to get broadsided by a truck! What a kick in the groin to one of the most loved characters on the show.

Glad I could come over here and read so many like-minded evaluations of this awful episode. This ep ranks even below the sex storyline with Ghost!Denny.

RIP McDreamy.

• Love 5
Interesting that the more well known guest stars this week were the two younger female victims in the car accident but they got total scrubs for the hospital staff. Sydney was a brat on Parenthood, but I loved when Derek told her to go keep the high school kids company and she said, "Hang out with the people who hit our car? No thanks."

I loved when the mom was bitching about how the guy in car must have been a middle aged man with a mid-life crisis, and Derek told her he was a 17 year old boy, she said she couldn't hate him now, but immediately came up with, "His parents must be awful people."

• Love 8

They had to take him to the worst hospital around, not choppered of to Seattle at least.

I commented above on how ludicrous the fictitious geography of the "shortcut" was -- but this also reminds me to say that the Pacific Northwest has an amazing airlift service, Airlift Northwest, with a fleet of helicopters and planes for exactly these kinds of situations.  (Even though, as I said above, he could not have been more than a few miles from one of the major hospitals if he was on the way to the airport!) 

Around the 42 minute mark last night, my heart started pounding.  Something just didn't seem right, so I turned over to "Welcome to Myrtle Manor".  I am glad I did, because I don't think I would have been able to handle it.  RIP Mc Dreamy.  Thanks for the memories. 

When it comes to shocking character deaths, Shonda could really learn a thing or two from Joss Whedon!

What I liked, was the scene where Mer is asked to sign the papers! Ellen acted her ass off. I thought the flashbacks were good too!

But, I hated how emotionally manipulative the episode was. I spent the first half waiting for a sudden catastrophe!

And, it's a small detail, but cops would never have lights going when delivering bad news. Although, that scene did get me choked up, but being married to a cop, I do worry about receiving a similar knock on the door.

• Love 5

Speaking of St. Elsewhere, maybe for her next trick, Shonda can steal from that series finale and simply blow up Seattle Grace Mercy Death.

Maybe it will turn out the whole show took place inside the mind of an Autistic kid, starring at a snow globe? Honestly, that would probably explain a lot.

I stopped watching this show awhile back(around the time of the ghost Denny stuff, I stuck around a little after that), but I loved this show in college. My friends and I all got together to watch it, so I still have a lot of found memories of the show, and have checked in with it sporadically to see what was going on. This episode makes me pretty glad I checked out emotionally, and logically, when I did. What a mess! like, why did Derek have to die? Why did they have to treat their fans, many of whom have stuck with this show, and the relationship between Meredith and Derek, for YEARS, like this?  I may not have always liked Derek, but he deserved better than to die because he somehow found himself in a hospital staffed by people who apparently got their medical licenses by playing Operation. That`s just brutal.  

Granted, having Derek abandon the family would probably be a terrible ending too, but I feel like, if PD wanted to leave the show, they could have come up with something better. I`m glad I got out of this show when I did. The sophomore in college version of me would be devastated right now. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

I haven't watched this show since it went to shit, but decided to watch this episode after seeing all the hype about it.

Honestly, the whole first part with Derek "saving" the accident victims was like a bad SNL skit...it was that ridiculous. Then I thought Sydney from Parenthood was going to say "I see dead people" to the ambulance driver and that would be it. Dun dun DUN!!!!!!!

• Love 3

What annoyed me about this episode is that it was just so badly written.  I read that it was the first time Shonda Rimes wrote an episode.  It shows!  The dialogue was just so bad!

• Love 1

Meredith throwing up was possibly a throwback to season one? I distinctly remember some vomit.

I remembered the vomiting, too. She told Cristina not to tell anyone.

• Love 1

I'm done. I don't care what PD did to SR. That was a horrible send off.  I feel  like someone I know just died. And it was shoddily written. He gets into his car and the road is now deserted.. nope. The police would be there taking measurements of the scene of the accident, the fire department wouldn't have left so quickly etc. I'm just done. Have no interest in any of the characters left on the show. Don't care what April and Jackson do or any of the interns. Sorry Alex, will miss seeing you but oh well. Just done.

• Love 6

quite frankly is one of the most successful producers in primetime in this era

Michael Bay movies make a ton of money at the box office.

There is Empire because there was Shonda

You could give as much credit to Glee for that (the creators of Empire have acknowledged as much).

Viola fucking Davis is on tv because of Shonda

That says as much about the lack of quality film roles for women of color as it does anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say Shonda is a hack. But I wouldn't give her that much credit. She has color blind casting, which is great, but there were shows with strong women headlining them long before Shonda came along. If anything, Shonda is more like Aaron Spelling. She knows how to make a hit, and gives good, delicious frothy fun. It remains to be seen whether any of her shows will still be as fondly remembered as some of Spelling's are.

As for this episode...what a shitty send-off for both PD and Derek. They should have just shipped him off to DC, maintained the long distance relationship (Mer on the phone with him, Mer and others mentioning seeing him during off-camera trips to DC, etc) and brought him back for the series finale. Anything but the pile of shit we got this episode.

• Love 15

As for this episode...what a shitty send-off for both PD and Derek. They should have just shipped him off to DC, maintained the long distance relationship (Mer on the phone with him, Mer and others mentioning seeing him during off-camera trips to DC, etc) and brought him back for the series finale. Anything but the pile of shit we got this episode.

THIS. For so long this show was driven by the MerDer relationship. Other things happened, other relationships and events grabbed my attention...but so much of the heart of the show was with them. The idea that the show's finale (whenever that may be) won't include some sort of ending for Meredith and Derek is insane to me, in addition to being incredibly disappointing. A huge let down for a show that was really something special in it's heyday. 

• Love 6
GoT doesn't kill characters this indiscriminately.

Don't they? I mean, if they don't have at least one per episode...it's not a GoT episode.

The mock GRRM tweet account congratulated her though.. So, maybe you're right.

The thing I hate is that lots of folks just love to say Shonda is a hack.  But she has revolutionized television in this era beginning with the early days of Grey's.  And now she owns a night in primetime, because her company and her people are that strong.  She has more shows in the works from her company, and quite frankly is one of the most successful producers in primetime in this era....and yet here we are, and someone compares her to freaking Donald Trump.

There is Empire because there was Shonda, Viola fucking Davis is on tv because of Shonda, Kerry Washington, Shonda.....all because of this woman who wrote characters you fell in love with (and have talked about for a decade and are crying about tonight) and she fucking built an empire where she took charge and ownership of her work..

So, sure, compare her to Trump, I assume you mean to dismiss her by this comparison, but I know she'll come out of this comparison on top every day. And the notion that she got "lucky", please, be better.

She's not a hack but she's not the most brilliant writer in TV history. Not even close to that. Do I respect her career? Sure but I'm not blindsided by believing that she changed TV all on her own. That's a selfish attitutde to take. Did she contributed to that? Sure but don't tell me that she is the godly woman that people pretend her to be. 

My comparison to Donald Trump was to make the point that money and power doesn't make anyone the best thing ever. Many people have been able to accomplish that and they're not necessarily the center of creativity and inventions. Not that she is horrifying human that Donald Trump is. 

I don't watch Empire, so good? Does she even write that show? 

And yes, she got lucky. Many shows are greater than Grey's Anatomy and Scandal but they don't do as well as these two did. She was lucky in many ways. It factored in the equation. Maybe it's something people don't want to see but it does matter. You can try to condescend me with that but it's the truth. Entrepreneurs have admitted luck is a major factor. If you want, there's an HBR article on "The Luck Factor" about Bill Gates and Microsoft. 

"So it is with any decision: the chain of events that brings you to a choice point will be shaped by luck, good or bad. Prior circumstances may determine whether you’re in a position of power or relative weakness. (For that matter, luck governs whether rain or sun that day will make your mood sour or buoyant.) And the same is equally true for everyone with whom you deal." - HBR "The Luck Factor", November 18th 2013.

Did I do better now?

Don't worry McDreamy fans, he'll be back for the ghost sex.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Once was enough. Not again. 

• Love 4

I just had another thought. Given that the kid who was driving the car that caused the first accident had what looked like a pretty nasty head wound, shouldn't that hospital's neuro guy have already been on-site, or at least on his way, by the time Derek arrived?

• Love 22

I haven't watched this show since it went to shit, but decided to watch this episode after seeing all the hype about it.

Honestly, the whole first part with Derek "saving" the accident victims was like a bad SNL skit...it was that ridiculous. Then I thought Sydney from Parenthood was going to say "I see dead people" to the ambulance driver and that would be it. Dun dun DUN!!!!!!!

I have not seen one episode since sometime in season three -- and I loved the first two seasons.  So I also tuned in just to see the expected demise of PD.  And I also really expected that it was going to be some weird "I see dead people" ending, with Derek being loaded onto an ambulance dead with the other dead accident victims.  Kind of like "Lost" -- he really had skidded into the accident at the beginning of the episode, and the rest was fantasy of souls unable to realize they were dead.  I need to stop watching reruns of "Ghost Whisperer" on ION!  

But really, this would not have surprised me. 

• Love 1

Y'all are totally right.

That last "early morning MerDer we're so awesome together" sex session is totally going to result in another McBaby.

Ugh.  Let's watch 23 episodes of a sad and depressed pregnant woman!  YAY - sounds like SO much fun.

• Love 2
Given that the kid who was driving the car that caused the first accident had what looked like a pretty nasty head wound, shouldn't that hospital's neuro guy have already been on-site, or at least on his way, by the time Derek arrived?

Maybe his six figure, imported, rich bitch doctor mobile, didn't come with Bluetooth, either?

Or that Tiramisu at the restaurant was just THAT. FUCKING. GOOD. 

• Love 6

OK, I've got one more rant to post then, I promise, I'm done, Done, DONE. I guess in shondaland, if you want good medical treatment, you need to wear a sandwich sign that proclaims you are a doctor, neigh, even a SURGEON. Derek was being routinely and lackadaisically treated by rural hospital staffers, not knowing his name. Then, they discover that he's a doctor, a SURGEON, and they finally step up the pace, getting excited about his care, even though by that time, he's gorked (but still giving voice-overs!). I guess doctors ramp up their game when it's one of their own? FOUL, I cry. Shonda, you may be rich now, but you're a hack who's ruined this show in what should be it's glorious final days.

• Love 8

I didn't have any trouble with Meredith being "cold," shock was one factor, the other (in my own experience) is some people retreat to a seemingly cold precision while trying to process the unthinkable.

Being one of those people myself, I had no issues with her reactions.  She is a surgeon.  She was clearly in shock when the police came to the house.  Her worst fears were realized.  I also did not expect her to think clearly at that moment.  I can see her not thinking immediately to call Derek's sister or the au pair to take the children.  I can also accept her reactions at the hospital.  

With that said, during the long ride to the hospital that is apparently so far from Seattle that there are cell dead zones on the way, I would expect her to regain her composure enough to call someone.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 3

OK, I've got one more rant to post then, I promise, I'm done, Done, DONE. I guess in shondaland, if you want good medical treatment, you need to wear a sandwich sign that proclaims you are a doctor, neigh, even a SURGEON. Derek was being routinely and lackadaisically treated by rural hospital staffers, not knowing his name. Then, they discover that he's a doctor, a SURGEON, and they finally step up the pace, getting excited about his care, even though by that time, he's gorked (but still giving voice-overs!). I guess doctors ramp up their game when it's one of their own? FOUL, I cry. Shonda, you may be rich now, but you're a hack who's ruined this show in what should be it's glorious final days.

Its been awhile but isn't that kind of what happened with George? Once they realized it was him the care changed quite a bit.  (sorry if I'm not remembering correctly)

• Love 1

With that said, during the long ride to the hospital that is apparently so far from Seattle that there are cell dead zones on the way, I would expect her to regain her composure enough to call someone.  

Plus, police are trained to ask "is there someone you want to call?" or "do you want to call someone to take care of your children?".  they don't just show up, deliver bad news, and walk away or throw the recipient of the bad news in the back of a squad car. 

P.S. -- wasn't Derek on Bluetooth at the start of the episode when he hit the cellphone dead zone in the mountain range in South Seattle?  If so, why was he searching for the cell phone later?  Which was ringing in the dead zone.  Oy. 

• Love 7

I think it's just taking care of your own. In all dramas - when they realise that a cop/army person is in trouble they all raise up in arms. (ditto with firemen etc) So I am not going to get super mad that when Doctors realise they are treating one of their own, they'll have a step of oomph. (now. that makes me sad because i'd hope any doctor treating me would have that step of oomph to save my life). 

That's what I thought it was - when there was a crisis with Mer's first patient, Mer ran outside and threw up after the crisis was over.

I just had another thought. Given that the kid who was driving the car that caused the first accident had what looked like a pretty nasty head wound, shouldn't that hospital's neuro guy have already been on-site, or at least on his way, by the time Derek arrived?

It would have been less obnoxious if Derek had died because Larry Cedar was busy operating on Popular Kid, but why go for the bad luck story when you can just have the guy be a jackass.

Derek's death is sort of reminiscent of Dr. Drake Remoray's death in that Drake died from a brain injury that only he could have fixed.

• Love 17

Meta?  The self-proclaimed nerdy, high-achieving good girl who steps out and accepts a ride and her first kiss from a fast boy who likes to drive other people's fast cars, too fast.  It all ends badly.  He leaves half his lovely hair sheared off by the asphalt and wanders around, not understanding what she tells him about what he did wrong -- while she takes it in the gut but shows her grit and even gets "her own" Shonda Rhimes monologue about what she learned.

• Love 5

It would have been less obnoxious if Derek had died because Larry Cedar was busy operating on Popular Kid, but why go for the bad luck story when you can just have the guy be a jackass.

Derek's death is sort of reminiscent of Dr. Drake Remoray's death in that Drake died from a brain injury that only he could have fixed.

Ha! Probably not what they were going for, but this comparison is hilarious.

• Love 1

"It's like, supposed to be irony or something."  (TM Joey.)

"They didn't just kill off Joey, did they?"  [*thud*]  "Maybe, now?"

Yes, this comparison is hilarious.  A "Friends" rip-off, poorly executed! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

I can't believe they killed Derek off like that. I couldn't bring myself to take his death seriously because I was just too stunned that this how they decided that PD should leave. I agree, the phone that shouldn't have rung. Meredith not calling Derek's relatives to see him to say their goodbyes was baffling, not calling Christina during this one important moment was unimaginable. The shitty hospital was laugh out loud contrived.... UGH. When April and Jackson's pregnancy storyline is about a hundred times stonger we have a serious problem. 

Did anyone else find the girl such an intrusive plot device? She kept creeping up and being either a cute little girl or angel of death. She said something about fishing at one point and the anvils were hitting hard. I totally don't get what they were signalling though... Dereks' missed potential as a father? Was the girl just a conviently placed extra who is meant to be poignant-on-steroids?

Edited by Trichromatic
  • Love 3

Plus, police are trained to ask "is there someone you want to call?" or "do you want to call someone to take care of your children?".  they don't just show up, deliver bad news, and walk away or throw the recipient of the bad news in the back of a squad car. 

P.S. -- wasn't Derek on Bluetooth at the start of the episode when he hit the cellphone dead zone in the mountain range in South Seattle?  If so, why was he searching for the cell phone later?  Which was ringing in the dead zone.  Oy. 

They do? I thought SWAT teams don't take down well known shooters. They just shoot them in the arm and watch them kill tons of more people and then let them kill themselves when they want to capture. Or they yell at the shooters on college campuses after they have already shot everyone in sight and then have them shoot themselves. Or how paramedics can just grab a person who was just hit with a homemade rocket launcher and the police don't check what caused the situation or anything. Or how they don't come to rescue areas when they know an ambulance broke down in the middle of winter and the know a baby and two doctors are stranded because the driver said: "Screw you, you can die here. I'm walking." 

• Love 3

What annoyed me about this episode is that it was just so badly written. I read that it was the first time Shonda Rimes wrote an episode. It shows! The dialogue was just so bad!

It's not he first time she's written an ep. She's written plenty of Greys and scandal eps. But it's the first time she's officially written and ep since the plane crash in season 8 (although she says she pretty much wrote the finale last year just didn't put her name on it.

Screw this. They should have had him in Dc until the show was ready to end and have Derrick and Meredith ride into the sunset. I hate this ending. Ugh. So annoyed

So much this.  They wrote out George Clooney on "ER", but gave him that beautiful riding-off-in-the-sunset reunion with Juliana Margulies several seasons later.  In Seattle.  It was worth the wait, and a lovely memorable image.  And only thirty seconds needed to provide fitting closure. 

• Love 5

I'm a lurker on this board, but I couldn't resist popping in with my few thoughts on this:

I'm not a Patrick Dempsey or a Derek Sheppard fan, so I can't say I'm emotionally bereft about this.  In fact, a few weeks ago, I was thinking how much better this show was without him.  So, if anything, I feel a bit guilty (because, obviously, I wished him dead).  I will say I didn't think they'd actually kill him, so I admire the balls on that front.  However, after 10 years in a hospital where the craziest things happen, Shonda still relies on people getting hit by trucks?  George...hit by a truck (or was it a bus?  Who cares, same difference).  Callie--although not killed--was hit by a truck while the driver of her vehicle was not watching the road.  Derek--hit by a truck while not watching the road.

Yes, yes...I know....Lexie and Mark died in or because of a plane crash and Denny had a rogue staple, but, really, I think shows should only be allowed one death by on oncoming moving vehicle per run and Grey's is LONG past that.

• Love 2

Mrs Boiler and I started snarking our way through episodes last season when they did the horrible 80 remakes.

This year has been almost unwatchable- well it would be if we didn't have each other to Mystery Science Theatre our way through it.

Not spoiled and not surprised they killed off Derek - when the first accident happened and he  was able to stop in time we looked at each other and said...so how does he die?  Asteroid, plane crash, bus accident, train wreck, grenade, sniper, elevator falls out of the sky?!?!?!

And wasn't there Dr fight at GSwhatever hospital a couple weeks ago about whether to do the CT first or the internal bleeding - oh wait that's like every fifth  episode it seems.

• Love 1

I'm done. I don't care what PD did to SR. That was a horrible send off.  I feel  like someone I know just died. And it was shoddily written. He gets into his car and the road is now deserted.. nope. The police would be there taking measurements of the scene of the accident, the fire department wouldn't have left so quickly etc. I'm just done. Have no interest in any of the characters left on the show. Don't care what April and Jackson do or any of the interns. Sorry Alex, will miss seeing you but oh well. Just done.

I'm right there with you. I haven't really cared for the show in ages but hung in there for old time's sake. Grey's and Scandal have both gone to shit and the saddest part was it is so unnecessary. But I guess our opinions haven't affected ratings, which is why she killed off McDreamy instead of sending him to D.C. until the end of Meredith's contract a la Carol and Doug, as someone else suggested, and has brought back the crappy B613 to Scandal. So disappointing.

• Love 3

And Mark Sloan got to say Goodbye in his "surge" before dying, they also kind of say goodbye to Lexi, don't remember George much but at least he died there in SGH..

• Love 4

Izzie, Burke, Addison*, Hahn**, Teddy, and Christina were all the regulars that got to leave the hospital alive. Though not all with their dignity.

* Addison went off to Private Practice, which at times was probably a fate worse than death.

** I wonder if she is still wandering around the hospital parking lot?

• Love 5

I get Derek's death. I really, really do. 

If Patrick wanted out of his contract (or if he didn't and there was beef with Shonda and he was asked to leave) then the ONLY way to make it believable is death. There is no way on God's green earth that Derek would have left Meredith and his kids long term. No way. The Derek I knew and loved wouldn't have separated himself from his family to work part of the time in DC either because he finally had everything he wanted in life: Meredith, kids with Meredith, and a big house that he designed himself for them to live in. 

Death is so final, but it's the unconquerable fate of every being on this earth. It's real. It happens so unexpectedly sometimes that you just have to be in a state of shock for a while. I think that's where Mer is at. She's in a state of shock. It hasn't hit her yet. She distanced herself immediately upon seeing him and went into doctor mode. She pointed out mistakes and then she gave a huge speech to Red about Derek being the face she will see from now on until forever. Meredith may be dark and twisty but she knows death. She knows that death is all around us.

Now, I like my television to be a little less emotional and REAL but I've got to give credit where credit is due: Ellen Pompeo was fantastic. Patrick Dempsey was fantastic. Derek and Meredith will go down in history as one of the absolute best and absolute worst love stories of all time. Those actors earned the right to be proud of what they gave us and I look forward to seeing what's next for Meredith. Ellen might just get that Emmy yet. 

• Love 6

I haven't watched this show in ages but it was impossible to ignore the #RipMcDreamy hashtag and the outcry on Twitter, so here I am.

I only just watched the episode and honestly I'm still a sobbing mess. And I'm shocked. I've never in a million years thought that this show had the guts to kill either Derek or Meredith. Their romance has been beautiful to watch and also pivotal to this show. What happened?! And do I really want to know at this point?

I just...I'm speechless. I can't believe it. This was brutal to watch. (and it's not lost on me that SR is still an incredibly vindictive person. A car crash? And in a Porsche no less! I mean Come on!) What a terrible send off for such an iconic character.

PD and EP were excellent of course, especially Pompeo. She slayed me with her: "Derek. Derek. Derek!" Jesus. I really feel for you Derek and MerDer fans. My heart was ripped out of my chest last year when Will was killed on TGW. I'm still recovering btw and can't bring myself to watch the show without him anymore. All I wanna say is You just hang in there.

What I don't understand is why couldn't they just have him in a coma until the end of the series? Or send him to work in Africa or... anything else that would leave him alive so there can be a happy ending for him and Meredith eventually. Instead of this crap. Was this really necessary? It just feels so wrong. And it's not fair to anyone involved. Especially not to fans. smh

Anyway, I just want to thank Patrick Dempsey for his dedication and beautiful performances throughout the years. I will always love and cherish McDreamy and he'll always be the perfect man for me. Always. Wish you all the best Patrick. And come back with another, better tv show someday.

RIP McDreamy.

• Love 13

Also, if this is about power and money, even Donald Trump has money and power. Doesn't mean that that person is all that great or creative. Good for Shonda for hitting the lucky strike and milking it to what it is, but she's not GRRM & Co. 

Uh, GRRM is your go-to for being the pinnacle of great creativity, rather than being rich and powerful thanks to luck and milking it? Mmm...

• Love 1