Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E21: How To Save A Life

• Start Topic

I just watched the episode and honestly, regardless of what happened it was a poorly executed episode. Awful writing and pacing. We got so much of the doctors at the other hospital, what was the point of that? They ate up so much of the screentime. Why that quick flash scene of Amelia and Owen at GSMH? Meredith's reaction to her husband's death was way too placid. I hated the episode regardless of Derek's death.

• Love 15

I said I'd watch through the finale and then quit the show but now I don't even feel like returning to tune in next week. Truly a new low for the show.

If it wasn't for the EW article, I'd have thought they were gonna make Meredith have early onset Alzheimers in the finale and retcon the death.

• Love 6

If someone cut open one of my veins this past hour, do you know what they would find running through it? Ice water. I don’t care that McDouchey is dead. Patrick Dempsey is and was always very, very pretty. But his character was a smug, condescending jerk to pretty much everyone, including and especially Meredith. No mopey cover of “Chasing Cars” is going to make me sad about this.

HA loved the promo about how “nothing has rocked these doctors like losing one of their own”. Uh, anyone remember George? Anyone? Bueller? OR MARK AND LEXIE?

I didn’t realize JUST how irritating and superfluous I find the usual, bloated cast until there’s an episode without it.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 18

They went there. They actually fucking went there.

Bye bye, half the audience.

HA loved the promo about how “nothing has rocked these doctors like losing one of their own”. Uh, anyone remember George? Anyone? Bueller?

Perhaps that's their way of saying "George who?"

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 14

What a terrible episode. The only good parts were the "Give me the papers" scene and the flashbacks. The rest was just a whole let of meh. The only death on this show that I ever thought they truly did well was George's.

I never was particularly invested in the MerDer relationship but it just seems like a huge disservice for people who have been invested in this couple for a decade, especially the incredibly gross  use of a fakeout scene.

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Love 20

Yeah, I honestly did not care either way about Derek living or dying (as in, I don't have a problem with them killing him off, except I guess a little bit in the whole "Way too many people Meredith has known have tragically died" sense of things) but I still couldn't believe how poorly they handled it. 

Just hackneyed all the way through.

Thought Dempsey was signed on for two more seasons.

If so, he broke the contract.

Yeah, that was one of the only surprising things about it, that they didn't hold Dempsey to his contract. Shows usually hold tight, even when actors want to leave (in a general "you signed the deal, live with it" way), so I guess it is kind of nice of Rhimes to let Dempsey out a year early. 

Edited by Brian Cronin

I know that time with the show Merdith is probably the only one people want there, but um, shouldn't she have called his sisters and his mother?  I know, less emotional resonance but seriously, in real life?  She'd call his sisters and mother.   

• Love 22

I thought the episode was bad also. Why do people always tell their life stories strangers on this show? Although I was crying during the final scene.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 1

If this were earlier in the series, I think it would make more sense to me. But there's probably only one season left, so how does this even open up that much more in terms of story potential for Meredith? I mean, perhaps Dempsey was just so miserable there that Rhimes felt she "had" to make a move, but boy, weird stuff. 

• Love 5

I don't really care that Derek died but I honestly never thought Shonda would kill him, regardless of her apparent love of character deaths. I was certain they'd let him languish in a coma until the series finale and then bring him back for a miraculous recovery.

• Love 11

I don't really care that Derek died but I honestly never thought Shonda would kill him, regardless of her apparent love of character deaths. I was certain they'd let him languish in a coma until the series finale and then bring him back for a miraculous recovery.

Wow, that really DOES sound EXACTLY like something she'd do, so I guess credit to her for not doing it? But perhaps she figured Dempsey wouldn't return for the final episode? 

• Love 1

I can't believe they actually killed off Derek.  I thought it was going to be a big fakeout after seeing the previews last week.

It makes me sad.  He loved Meredith and his children.  It's too bad that Patrick Dempsey didn't want to stay through to the end of the show.  And I hope the end is this year.  This has been my favorite show for as long as it's been on, but they've killed off or sent away too many good characters, and saddled us with other annoying, unnecessary characters.

• Love 11

I have always been a Derek fan but over the last few seasons I could have cared less about this show and watch it on and off. Mostly off so I do not really care that he died. But the end, when the played How to Save a Life I started crying.

Love, how there where enough cars on that road to get in an accident but at the same time not enough to drive by and get help.

Not buying the lack of trauma ones in the area. Or the ability to get a helicopter to get him to trauma one.

Edited by redsox7819
  • Love 4

Why couldn't Derek just go to DC? Happy long distance relationship and we never have to see him. I'm over the dying.....attention Shonda, you don't have to kill EVERYONE.

I'm done with this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 22

That was awful. Seriously, Derrick is an original and THAT was his swan song? I figured something was up after they showed the pilot, but that was just awful.

I'm so done with Grey's. I gave it up during the Addison era, came back with the plane crash, but now I'm done for good.

• Love 9

Not terribly bright of Derek to pull his car out into the road and then just sit there while looking for his phone. I knew as soon as he stopped there that he was going to get nailed.

I don't feel all that bad that he died. He'd become such a miserable, angry guy.

• Love 9

You'd think Meredith would have called Derek's SISTER who also happens to be a NEUROSURGEON.

I think Shonda was just jealous that The Good Wife got so much attention for keeping Will's death a secret.

Crappy episode just in execution. Meredith was too calm.

• Love 15

Meredith has always been a funny bunny but come on! She wouldn't have Derek's sister and fellow neurosurgeon - who also lives in her home still (right?) be there? Or his mother? Very crap writing.

• Love 9

The poster that mentioned George's death.

Now that was a great episode and send off and they used the perfect song.

Chasing Cars made think of McKidd's crappy singing, during Callie's near death.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 3

Seriously?

I have given this show over ten years of my life.  OVER TEN YEARS?  And they end a main characters death with the same song they used back in season two? 

I am at a loss. 

• Love 8

Is there an article I'm missing saying PD is out? I can't believe he's really dead, not with that atrocious dialog throughout the episode and anvils the whole season. I would not put it past Shonda to troll everyone and have this all be some hallucination on Meredith's part. At the end of the two hour episode, we'll find out that she imagined all this the first time she was waiting for him to call her back.

I mean, I have no love for Derek, but that really can't be how he dies in the show, right?

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Are we supposed to hold the Sloan-Grey doctors in higher regard now, since the other hospital was so inept they didn't even do a CT after a head trauma?

I love how "we're not a trauma hospital" was supposed to be a realistic excuse. Hon, it may not be a trauma hospital, but it's also not a KFC. You're doctors. Do basic medical things.

That KFC comment has me cracking up.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 13

You can't tell me that there wasn't some shade being thrown at Dempsey when the basic action that started this whole debacle is a car speeding down the road like a race car.

It was a disgusting move. I'm sad he's gone, and he's gonna miss a paycheck, but if that's what your boss thinks of you, he's better off gone from the poison.

• Love 12

What is the point in even watching this show any more? Any characters that have been on and I've grown attached to have just been slaughtered because SR can't come up with a plausible reason why characters might leave. George (and Izzie), Lexie, Mark, Derek. There is no payoff for fans who invest time into these characters and the storylines over the last 10 years. Mer/Der are the foundation of the entire show. Derek rubbed people up the wrong way over the years (myself included) and some people never took to Meredith but FGS they are the rock, the centrepiece. Where is the reward for fans who have been watching this show for ten years? This is starting to sound like a tantrum. It's not. I'm just evaluating if theres any point in continuing. Next week tune in to watch Kepner, 2 interns and Dr. (letter retracted) unt. I don't think so. SR has no loyalty to fans. No commitment to storyline. She just fills her own agenda and to hell with everyone else.

• Love 21

Boy was that crap.

Derek narrates his own death?

The doctors are too inept to order a CT?

Mer takes the kids with her and doesn't call Amelia?

Meredith"s phone call killed him??

I would have thought Derek deserved a better send off. What a cold, sterile episode. I'm going to block out the second half hour and pretend he died at the scene. EP looked constipated in her scenes when she wasn't lecturing the hospital staff.

Just...ugh.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 8

Maybe Meredith dreamed the who season like on Dallas (for those of you old enough to remember).

Mmmmmm, Patrick Dempsey in the shower. Thank you for that idea.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 8
I think Shonda was just jealous that The Good Wife got so much attention for keeping Will's death a secret.

That would only make sense if they'd had any interest in keeping this death a secret. Sure it wasn't officially leaked, but I'll be pulling anvils out of my front yard for the next 100 years. Pretty much every episode all season long has had big dramatic flashbacks to MerDer's greatest hits, then we had Stupid Amelia's big speech to Meredith about how she doesn't know shit until she's cried over the love of her life's dead body.

They telegraphed this for months, and then dragged it out over three pathetic episodes. You know it's bad when Chasing Cars doesn't even get a tear out of me. I thought Denny was annoying as shit, and I still sobbed until my eyes were shriveled, sunken pits over his death. It was that well done. This? This was bullshit.

• Love 16

What is the point in even watching this show any more? Any characters that have been on and I've grown attached to have just been slaughtered because SR can't come up with a plausible reason why characters might leave. George (and Izzie), Lexie, Mark, Derek. There is no payoff for fans who invest time into these characters and the storylines over the last 10 years. Mer/Der are the foundation of the entire show. Derek rubbed people up the wrong way over the years (myself included) and some people never took to Meredith but FGS they are the rock, the centrepiece. Where is the reward for fans who have been watching this show for ten years? This is starting to sound like a tantrum. It's not. I'm just evaluating if theres any point in continuing. Next week tune in to watch Kepner, 2 interns and Dr. (letter retracted) unt. I don't think so. SR has no loyalty to fans. No commitment to storyline. She just fills her own agenda and to hell with everyone else.

You owe me a diet coke. Dr. Unt. LMAO!!!

• Love 4