Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The Dead

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I see what you're saying, captanne.  I just watched the very first episode when he was the quirky boat builder who could "read" which trees would make the best boats.  Michael Hirst has really changed his character, and because I admire the actor, I hate to see him go the route of just another antagonist in the mix.  I know what his fate will be if they follow history, the operative word being IF.

• Love 1

Yeah -- isn't his future

sailing off to Iceland

?  He doesn't

die

, IIRC.

I guess we're still on the topic of "The Dead" but maybe we ought to make character files for the hiatus?  Just thinking out loud.

Edited by Captanne

You are right about his fate.  Several characters do have files.  His is entitled:  Floki:  Viking Mad Dog Murdoch (A-Team reference).  We can use that.

Edited by Babalooie

^  Again we will have to agree to disagree.  Floki is the guardian of the old ways and a tragic figure as such.  No more a villain than Rollo raping or Ecbert ordering the village destroyed or Aethelwulf (Floki's Christian counterpart) destroying said village specifically ordering the death of the fleeing child or Ragnar standing by and letting the bishop be tortured to death by not only Floki but everyone else not named Athelstan.  Even Athelstan killed his fellow Christians who were just defending their own land.  Plenty of negative behavior to go around.

And I love the way Floki is written and played by the actor.  Don't see him as one note at all.  And I never saw that he said he hated his kid.  Just that he was unhappy that life was going well at that moment.  The implication was that that meant something bad would happen soon.  A trait I share with Floki.  I never ever trust the good times to last.  So ... different strokes for different folks.

Edited by green
  • Love 4

Floki is the guardian of the old ways and a tragic figure as such. 

That's what he would like to believe about himself.   As I see it, Floki is a narcissist and borderline personality who tries to dignify and validate his self-absorption by pretending he's all about the gods.   In reality, Floki worships at the temple of Floki.  He murdered Athelstan out of pure jealousy and hatred.   "I loved you more," he wept at Ragnar's faux coffin like a jilted schoolgirl.   He has a grandiose opinion of himself, as if he is the instrument of the gods and the world should fall at his feet and acknowledge his greatness.   Men fell at his feet all right, in heaps at the foot of the walls of Paris.  

Helga is the only one who has been brutally honest about Floki's true nature.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
(edited)

I would add that the show and the performer and the writers would like us to think that Floki represents the old ways resisting the new ones but I think, in practice, millennium hits the nail right on the head.  What the audience is presented with is a delusional narcissist.  And it is Helga who said that to Floki's (and our) face.  

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

I could take Floki in small doses, and he was even amusing sometimes, but he lost me when he killed Athelstan.  Floki then became just a jealous, spiteful, murderous little bitch to me.

• Love 3

Lagertha and Ragnar have been so underused and it's very frustrating.

Why couldn't she have gone in and talked to him while he was still "alive". Just made no sense she looked at him and turned away. Such a waste of chemistry and history between characters.

How many 1x1 exchanges have they had this season? My guess is 1 or 2.

I love Rollo staying and accepting his offer but the casting of the princess was terrible.

So many actresses could have done a better job. Hoping for a recast. I know season 4 has already started so will find that out rather quickly.

I've done a marathon and seasons 1 to 3 and watching it so quickly my enjoyment of it has declined considerably since season 1 and not sure I can pinpoint why.

I think it's the lack of intimacy and continued development and evolution of characters and their relationships.

I'll catch up to present with season 4 but this show has fallen in favor for me.

On 4/25/2015 at 0:05 AM, Lila82 said:

Re: Rollo

I'm giving him a Chuck Bass pass, ie, I was willing to forgive him attempting to rape Jenny in the pilot because it was so poorly planned and his character, like many, had an overhaul by the second episode.

I was thinking exactly this! Chuck was terrible in the pilot and they toned him down considerably afterwards... because he's Chuck Bass. :P

I really just love Rollo's energy and I thought he was so cute when going to his wedding. So proud of himself for being able to say hello.

It seemed obvious Ragnar wasn't dead. Ragnar isn't going to die here damn it! I don't even base that on actual history it just didn't seem to be where he died. I'm glad he's still alive and hope he recovers.

I enjoyed the end with him and Floki. I got the impression that Ragnar knew all along that Floki did it but Floki didn't know Ragnar knew. He thought he was so stealthy after all. Now he knows and that he's in for it. And for right now, he's stuck on a boat with Ragnar :D

I assume by next season 25 years will have gone by and Ragnar will be all better but I was hoping for some more Athelstan hallucinations. Oh well.