Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food Ads

• Start Topic

So, I don't eat meat and thus have done zero research on this, but I have this vague memory that maybe McDonald's in Japan also had a black bunned burger, but it was possibly squid ink? And it was maybe insanely popular? And I know those who like squid ink realllllly like squid ink. No idea if this black bunned Halloween burger is plain ole food coloring, or if it's something more like the squid ink thing. Although I suppose that might be more of an acquired taste...at least for Americans.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

So, I don't eat meat and thus have done zero research on this, but I have this vague memory that maybe McDonald's in Japan also had a black bunned burger, but it was possibly squid ink? And it was maybe insanely popular? And I know those who like squid ink realllllly like squid ink. No idea if this black bunned Halloween burger is plain ole food coloring, of if it's something more like the squid ink thing. Although I suppose that might be more of an acquired taste...at least for Americans.

McDonald's Japan may have a similar burger, but Burger King US got theirs from their Japanese restaurants. As you said, the black in the bun was due to squid ink as an ingredient in their buns (BK US is either saying it's food coloring or the A1 Sauce apparently baked into the buns here, I forget which) & the black bun burger is extremely popular over there (& I think available year-round). I mentioned the same thing earlier in 1 of the other commercial-related threads (I initially read about the black bun burger, & saw a pic, in a People magazine website photo gallery, from awhile back, of menu items sold at foreign outposts of US restaurant chains that aren't sold at the chains' US restaurants).

• Love 1

Hey, McDonald's, I know you are trying to tug at my heartstrings with the guy who gets up early to bring his wife breakfast at her toll booth, but...no. The sun has fully risen by the time he comes through her line, so the sandwich has got to be cold and nasty, and he brought her a sandwich with no coffee or juice (if I were working the early morning toll booth, I think I'd need copious amounts of caffeine, but maybe the lack of restrooms at the workplace makes this less than feasible.)

• Love 2

I don't think the FDA classifies American Cheese as cheese.  I think it is a "cheese product".

Depends on how it's made. That's true of many brands of the pre-sliced stuff in supermarkets. What BK uses is classified as "pasteurized process cheese".

• Love 2

Dear Burger King. Your so called "Halloween Whopper" looks gross. Buns should not be black. That is all.

They've had black buns in Japan for a while

http://abc13.com/food/introducing-burger-kings-black-burger-/304406/

McDonalds makes black & white buns in China

http://kotaku.com/5942177/in-china-mcdonalds-makes-both-a-white-burger-and-a-black-burger

Plus, BK is coming out with red buns in Japan

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/17/burger-king-has-new-burger-coming-outthats-red.html

McDonalds had a burger in Japan that I would be all over called the Black Diamond. It has black truffle sauce, grilled mushrooms and onions, cheese, & I think they only sold it for one day in July.

• Love 1

Hey, McDonald's, I know you are trying to tug at my heartstrings with the guy who gets up early to bring his wife breakfast at her toll booth, but...no. The sun has fully risen by the time he comes through her line, so the sandwich has got to be cold and nasty, and he brought her a sandwich with no coffee or juice (if I were working the early morning toll booth, I think I'd need copious amounts of caffeine, but maybe the lack of restrooms at the workplace makes this less than feasible.)

I posted about this one in the commercials that annoy thread before I saw this thread, but this commercial annoys me to no end.  Like you said, where's the coffee or juice?  Plus, I have to believe there's a trailer nearby for employees to use the restroom.  Also, it didn't seem as if he were going to work, so did he just go home and go back to bed?  

No idea if this black bunned Halloween burger is plain ole food coloring, or if it's something more like the squid ink thing. Although I suppose that might be more of an acquired taste...at least for Americans.

Trust me, it's just green food coloring, I had one for lunch Sunday. The bun flavor isn't noticeably different from usual, there's just a bit of steak sauce on the sandwich to change it from normal whopper flavor.

Plus, I have to believe there's a trailer nearby for employees to use the restroom.

Around here, you'd have at least a shack-sized building with a restroom and a place to clock in. Big exits have office space and more bathroom facilities (per law for more workers).

Around here, you'd have at least a shack-sized building with a restroom and a place to clock in. Big exits have office space and more bathroom facilities (per law for more workers).

At the toll booths in my area there are trailer-looking structures.  I would think all employees would have to have access to restrooms. 

So yeah.  He should have brought her some damn coffee

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

The ads for Long John Silver's have never persuaded me to eat there. I don't trust no seafood under $2...I don't even think you can get a good can of tuna under $2 ( please, correct me if I'm wrong on that point...it's been awhile since I've bought tuna lol)

• Love 1

The ads for Long John Silver's have never persuaded me to eat there. I don't trust no seafood under $2...I don't even think you can get a good can of tuna under $2 ( please, correct me if I'm wrong on that point...it's been awhile since I've bought tuna lol)

Not that this'll persuade you either, but my family & I've eaten a lot of food from Long John Silver's & we've never had any issues with it.

• Love 2

There used to be one in my area until about 5

years ago(although I never ate there), when it closed suddenly and never reopened; the rumor was that it was shut down by the Health Department.

Edited by smittykins

I think all the Long John Silver's in my area share space with Taco Bell.  It is not the most natural pairing to me, but I only hit the Taco Bell to occasionally pick up some tacos for my son.  Although often an extra order of the chips and cheese end up on the order somehow.

• Love 1

I think all the Long John Silver's in my area share space with Taco Bell. It is not the most natural pairing to me, but I only hit the Taco Bell to occasionally pick up some tacos for my son. Although often an extra order of the chips and cheese end up on the order somehow.

The LJS & Taco Bells--I think--share space in different cities because they have the same corporate parent; that's usually why different restaurant chains share store space. It either was or still is Yum! Brands, which also owns KFC (aka Kentucky Fried Chicken). And the chips & cheese are among the best things at Taco Bell--in my opinion.

I'm not sure if we still have any LJS or not. We used to have at least 3, I think. To my knowledge, none here that have closed were closed by the Health Department.

• Love 1

Well crap. I was out running errands and happened by a LJS. Unfortunately, I was past it and across 6 lanes of traffic before I noticed. Now I know where it is, I'll take one for the team next time I'm in the area. I haven't eaten there in years, but they used to have pretty decent fish.

Well thank you all very much, I haven't even though about LJS since college when we used to stop at the one halfway between school and home just to get hushpuppies since we knew of no other place to get them and they are delicious. Now I was forced to look it up on Yelp and out turns out there is a LJS ONE TOWN NORTH of me. Damn now I am going to need to get a basket of deep fried something or other this weekend. Which I need like I need another hole in my head.

• Love 3

My bigger problem is that they charge 60 cents more for it and the only difference is the bun.

and it turns your poop green (photographic evidence avail upon request).

Yeah, I think all the Long Dong Silvers in my city closed as well, but I loved their pineapple cream cheese pies!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I keep hearing an ad for Carl's Jr.'s Dick Burger.  Looking at the screen, it is a thickburger but I hear dick burger every damn time.  I guess they can consider it a win.  It did catch my attention. 

• Love 4

On a related note, I noticed the building in Tallahassee which used to be a Hardee's in the 1980's is being remodeled back into a Hardee's. Full circle and all that.

That happened in my town, too.  There was a Hardee's built in the 80's that closed and became a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin-Robbins store for a few years and now it's back to being a Hardee's.

Did they replace the actor playing Colonel Sanders again? He looked different in the newest one... but I noticed that after he failed a lie detector test he now says "I'm not the Colonel..." at the end of the ads.

I hope that means we get Norm MacDonald back.

• Love 1

No, he's from Indiana.

Heh - as an "up nord" kinda person (geographically and politically), I assure you, some of us consider Indiana part of the south. Mason Dixon line is actually just south of Chicago and creeps further north all the time, it seems....

Yeah. Who the hell in their right mind, except a Dominoes Pizza franchise owner, would buy one of those?

I haven't seen the commercial, but found this at Advertising Age - they aren't for sale to the public, but use typical car commercial cues to promote their pizza:

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/car-advertising-a-car-company-pizza/302752/

Domino's is launching advertising for a product its customers cannot buy.

The restaurant chain's new campaign showcases DXP, the specialty "delivery expert" car Domino's rolled out in October. It is promoting the use of the cars with commercials that humorously play off auto advertising. In one, the car races across the desert. In another, an authoritative voice-over explains some of the vehicle's unique features as a guy in a white lab coat gives it a once over.

It is too soon to say whether the cars, with their bright Domino's logos and unique look, will have an impact on sales, but they are being noticed. There are 97 DXPs on the road after the Fall launch, and demand from franchisees is strong enough that Domino's plans to build another 50 or so this year, said Chief Marketing Officer Joe Jordan....

The car commercial elements go beyond the wide shot of the car driving across a desert. A 15-second spot about the car also promotes a $5.99 pizza deal along with 0% APR for an unlimited time (with seven lines of disclaimer-style wording in small, uppercase type.)

"We knew we wanted to pull from the conventions of car advertising and insert our brand story," said Matt Talbot, VP-exec creative director at CP&B. The agency has been Domino's agency of record since 2007 and its client roster also includes an actual car brand, Infiniti.

• Love 1
(edited)
Correct. Around here, they say "Ah" as in "Ah'm fixin' to go to the Waffle House."

And if you really, really want to be southern (as I am) you say 'Ah'm fixin' to get ready to go the Waffle House."

On a related note, I noticed the building in Tallahassee which used to be a Hardee's in the 1980's is being remodeled back into a Hardee's. Full circle and all that.

That happened with most of the Sonic Drive In places in my area.  Most closed down and became tax offices, pawn shops, or used car places.   Then, when Sonic made their 'comeback' (or whatever) most of them were remodeled back into Sonics.  But there are still a few around that you can recognize as former Sonics.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

But there are still a few around that you can recognize as former Sonics.

Down the block from where I lived on Long Island, there was a Friendly's Restaurant that had been there for years.  After they closed, at least half a dozen different types of restaurants went into the building, but no matter the name, the cuisine, or the design of the place, they left the trademark white steeple from Friendly's on the roof.

• Love 2