Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food Ads

• Start Topic

When I saw the McDonald's ad for their "simple chicken" or whatever it was, and saw the "glamor shot" of the chicken...I seriously thought McDonald's had started selling garlic toast. It took me a few times of seeing that ad (oh, how I love watching hockey games and how I hate that it means that the same.d*mn.commercials will be seen over and over and over. And over again) to realize it was a piece of chicken. Simple shouldn't mean unrecognizable, McDonald's.

• Love 2

Dear Dairy Queen and Wendy's: Your establishments have drive-thru windows.

There are two DQ's around here and neither has a drive-thru. One is in a mall and the other is along a highway and styled like the local seasonal places where you can stop for a hotdog and some ice cream.

New DQs have to have drive-through windows.  Our local DQ had to close because of redevelopment of the entire block.  The city had to be sure they could promise DQ a new spot that could accommodate a DT window.  And I never had as great a craving for DQ as I did right after the place closed. LOL...I always want what I can't have.

(edited)

Most of the DQ around me do NOT have drive thru windows and are located inside strip malls in traffic dense congested areas (one is in Wrigleyville, another in downtown HP). One I know of HAS a drive thru window but is NOT new as some said all new ones have the windows. It's old but does a lot of business and a lot of its business is for the food like blizzards but also fried mushrooms, cheese stix, burgers. That might justify the window.

Edited by Petunia13
(edited)

I've had beer cheese soup a number of times, it has melted cheese, beer, and a number of other ingredients.  It's very good, actually.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 4

Yeah, I'd love to bash Applebees in general, but beer cheese is a real thing, not specific to them.

Yes, but they have a beer cheese dip to dip your beer cheese into. I just saw this commercial. WTF is up with that? Are their "handhelds" called beer cheeses?

• Love 1

I thought the Applebee's commercial was emphasizing that you can get cheese on your mini sandwich (which I refuse to refer to as a "handheld;" slider is OK, though), dip your sandwich in the beer cheese and wash it down with a beer. Thus beer...cheese...beer cheese.

• Love 2

I've had beer cheese soup a number of times, it has melted cheese, beer, and a number of other ingredients.  It's very good, actually.

Huh, I'd actually like to try that. I hate beer, but I love cheese, so maybe they'd balance each other out.

Didn't Applebee's used to brand itself as being sort of a family-style restaurant? Now it looks like the company is going after the young and hip crowd who are too cool for sandwiches. Nope, they like handhelds!

Also, Panera has a commercial now featuring people shoveling food into their mouths like they've been stranded in the Andes mountains for months. The voice over says something along the lines of "just because it's good food doesn't mean it can't be eaten like bad food." It's completely disgusting.

• Love 1

Huh, I'd actually like to try that. I hate beer, but I love cheese, so maybe they'd balance each other out.

I've thought that before, about things that have beer in them.  It always just tastes like beer to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

the other is along a highway and styled like the local seasonal places where you can stop for a hotdog and some ice cream.

That's how the Dairy Queens in the 70s were. You ate in your car or outside were they might have had 1 or 2 picnic tables.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 3
(edited)

Also, Panera has a commercial now featuring people shoveling food into their mouths like they've been stranded in the Andes mountains for months. The voice over says something along the lines of "just because it's good food doesn't mean it can't be eaten like bad food." It's completely disgusting.

If I've been stranded in the Andes for months, I do not want a salad.  I would bet I would have been eating plenty of leaves and roots to keep myself alive.

Okay, my hatred of the breakfast defectors has grown even larger.  Ooh, there's a hash brown (patty) in your tortilla hexagon.  Now your world is complete.  I didn't understand that the sign of a quality breakfast was putting everything together.  Hang on while I pour your coffee in there too.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 8

If I've been stranded in the Andes for months, I do not want a salad.  I would bet I would have been eating plenty of leaves and roots to keep myself alive.

Or raw Soylent Green

• Love 5
(edited)

Hardee's and Carl Jr.'s have done it again in their never ending quest for artery-clogging goodness.  Voila!  The All-American Thickburger has an Angus beef patty with cheese, a split hot dog, and kettle cooked potato chips.  I saw this thing and I don't think I've ever seen anything that looked so vile since their Jalapeno Burger.

Are they trying to kill off their customer base?

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 3

Hardee's and Carl Jr.'s have done it again in their never ending quest for artery-clogging goodness.  Voila!  The All-American Thickburger has an Angus beef patty with cheese, a split hot dog, and kettle cooked potato chips.  I saw this thing and I don't think I've ever seen anything that looked so vile since their Jalapeno Burger.

Yeah, I don't get it.   I guess the customer base is men, but still -   If you were that hungry, wouldn't it be more enjoyable to have a burger, a hot dog, and chips SEPARATELY?

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, I don't get it. I guess the customer base is men, but still - If you were that hungry, wouldn't it be more enjoyable to have a burger, a hot dog, and chips SEPARATELY?

I don't know about the hot dog on the burger--other than the character of Theo Huxtable on The Cosby Show used to eat bacon-burger-dogs (honestly not sure how you spell/punctuate that, but it was meant to be some sort of burger/hot dog hybrid/combo with bacon that Theo loved).

I do know, though, that potato chips as a burger topping is (or was in the last few years) a legitimate thing. I think they call it "crunchified" style & maybe "Philadelphia" style (I think that's the alternate name for it; I know I've heard 2 names for it anyway). If I remember correctly, you can get your burgers that way--with chips in the sandwich--at Bobby Flay's "Bobby's Burger Palace" restaurants.

I probably shouldn't admit this but, put some ketchup & cheese on that burger (just ketchup & cheese, besides the burger, hot dog, & chips) & I'd probably at least try it. But I don't think there are anymore Hardee's in my hometown, & even if there were, the 1 that was closest to my house was closed a few years ago, the property was sold & it's now a CVS Pharmacy.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Ah, yes! This commercial makes me stabby every time I see it, and I really try not to, as their table manners are equal to pigs eating slop (yes, I've seen pigs slopped, my grandparents had them). If Panera's customers are going to be eating like that, I'll avoid the place altogether, thank you very much.

• Love 5

Yeah, I don't get it. I guess the customer base is men, but still - If you were that hungry, wouldn't it be more enjoyable to have a burger, a hot dog, and chips SEPARATELY?

They're probably trying to hide a "cheap meat" taste that would come through clearly if you ate them separately (the hot dog is likely the bigger offender).

• Love 1

I saw that ad, and that was nasty!

Am I the only one that can't stand the new McDonald's spokesman.  "Max", I think.  He's supposed to have this earnest appeal but he sounds so awkward I'm not sure if that's supposed to be part of his act or if he's just really bad.

• Love 1

I'm afraid of Faux Colonel Sanders.

I think there's a roofie somwhere in that meal he's shilling.

I'm old enough to remember original recipe Col. Harland Sanders. I do not remember him having that creepy, creepy laugh.

• Love 5

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter continues to rub me the wrong way. His latest ad has him confessing that he went to Italy to learn how to make pizza "from a real Italian." Whatta way to broaden your worldview, John! He'll probably go to France next to learn the fine art of making French fries from a real Frenchman. *rolling eyes*

Whatever happened to his pizza knowledge from leaving Italy to the U.S. of A is anybody's guess considering his bastardized versions of real pizza.

Papa John's needs a new spokesman STAT! But he looks too much like an egotistical asshat to give up seeing himself on the tube.

• Love 7

Saw a Rally's ad (also called Checkers in some parts of the country) with their spokesbag, Mr. Bag. All I can think when I see it is that the checkers design on the bag make it look like he has a heavy 5 o'clock shadow.

• Love 1