Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: As You Wish

• Start Topic

Murray (Jeff Garlin) is excited when Adam (Sean Giambrone) tells him he wants to play a sport at school.  That is until he finds out it's fencing. After quitting his first match, Adam confesses his real intention — to recreate his favorite scene from “The Princess Bride” — and makes Murray furious. Meanwhile, Beverly (Wendi McLendon-Covey) is up to her matchmaking ways and sets up Barry’s wrestling coach with Erica’s voice teacher and it doesn’t go exactly as planned.

I squeed at the mention of The Princess Bride.  I actually didn't see it till the late '90s, during my freshman year of high school, but I recognized the references, nonetheless!  I loved finding out that Adam was a fan of it!  And Dave Kim and Dana helping out with his movie was a hoot!  The entire fencing plot made me laugh, actually!  Murray and Adam have great father/son plots together, with Pops added in for good measure!

Beverly as a regular yenta was hilarious, and for once, she actually had a good plan to fix the mess she caused!  I loved Erica finding out she was sort of a yenta, too, at the end.  And Barry being made somewhat miserable with the lap-running was a laugh, as well.

Also, great to see Mr. Mellor again, though I'm confused as to how he's the coach of all three kids.  Doesn't Adam go to a different school from Barry and Erica?

Edited by Donny Ketchum

As You Wish, by Cary Elwes, is a good read for fans of TPB. I was hoping the real footage at the end would be related to The Princess Bride. Instead we got Bev on the phone. Murray was a surprisingly good Fezzik.

OK, we get it. Erica sings. Enough!

Agreed.

As a Princess Bride fan, I loved this episode. Especially Murray dressed as the Andre the Giant character at the end.

Edited by MelsW

Also, great to see Mr. Mellor again, though I'm confused as to how he's the coach of all three kids.

Also we're getting all kinds of Tobolowsky.  And Tobolowsky makes everything better.

Although I gotta say it's a good thing this show is unstuck in time, otherwise Principal Ball's ban of Beverley from the school (back in Season 1) might be interfering with these stories.

• Love 2

BTW: I'm not from Philly, but were there REALLY Walmarts there at ANY point in the 80s for Bev to reference?  My gut says it's probably not so.  The Northeast was the last holdout for getting Walmarts (I know a few NE states didn't get any of them until after 2000).

• Love 1

Good episode, as always!

Everyone loves The Princess Bride! It brings families together. True story. 

Every time I see real Beverly`s hair, I kind of just stare at it in awe. I wasn't around in the 80s, so the whole time period fascinates me. 

• Love 1

Yup this is definitely one show where you need to just ignore the continuity. Adam and Barry have been seen riding the bus together, though.

"What are you talking about? Your Dad's right over there! He sold us our sectional!"

This show definitely kills it with its guest stars. Bryan Callen, Ana Gasteyer, and Dan Bakkedahl in one episode. Grand!

BTW: I'm not from Philly, but were there REALLY Walmarts there at ANY point in the 80s for Bev to reference?  My gut says it's probably not so.  The Northeast was the last holdout for getting Walmarts (I know a few NE states didn't get any of them until after 2000).

Yeah, I was a Philly girl and Kmart would have been way more realistic to say. 

• Love 3

I don't know why, but I laugh whenever someone says "Dave Kim."  Particularly if they are yelling at him. The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies, (and an even better book) so anything that references it is a big plus for me.  And I too wanted to take fencing because of that movie.  But I never did.  Maybe I should look into that. Along with my banjo lessens.

• Love 2