Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 4/27/15

Leave it to the Notorious RBG to cut right to the chase. Since when is marriage solely about procreation? Of course it creates a framework, but procreation is not the be-all and end-all

As a woman who went into my marriage with a husband who had a vasectomy that argument about it being all about kids pissed me off to no end. Yeah I don't need to be able to be at my husband's bed side if he were seriously injured.  We don't have kids! So who cares? Plus it ignores that GLBT people are raising kids as well. Pre the equality decision in Wisconsin the adopted children (one who is severely autistic) of two of my friends were only legally was adopted by one parent so if the adoptive parent died the other partner wouldn't automatically have their kids. Loved Jon's "Nice Lawyer costume" line.

I'm not anti-kid, don't get me wrong, better schools and better child welfare= better society for everyone. Just anti-me raising a kid.

I was thinking about turning over the Judith Miller interview, thinking I would just have a rage stroke but I think Jon did get in a few serious jabs. So good on ya'

• Love 3

If Judith Miller had an ounce of shame, this book would have been titled "I Was Wrong and Let Myself Be Used:  How A Journalist for the New York Times Betrayed America."

I'd imagine if she had her way, the title of the book would be called "EAT IT, ASSHOLES! Why Everybody is an Idiot Except for Me."

• Love 4

My big issue is that Jon interrupts all the time. I'm not saying that Miller didn't deserve tough questions, but Jon could have done the same interview without her sitting there.

Ordinarily I would agree, but in this case Jon was determined to nail her down on points she made in the very book she was promoting, and determined not to let her off the hook or deflect from those points, despite her constant attempts to do so. I think this was probably the hardest I've ever seen him go at a guest in an interview and it was clear how strongly he felt about the issue.

And Jon was right to do that because she did in fact pull out all the typical right wing talking points. "Bill Clinton did it too!" "Hillary voted for it too!" But where she really lost me, and where everyone loses the argument once they've said it, is this: "Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons on his own people." No. No, he did not. Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons on the Kurds, and the Kurds are not "his own people." Just because Kurds live in Iraq does not make them "his own people" and failure to acknowledge that means one of two things: you are willfully disingenuous in your argument, or you are ignorant of the diversity of the middle east. 

• Love 12

Most likely.

Would anybody be surprised if they helped prep her for this?

Well, they didn't do so well. JS was prepared and outmanuevered her handily. Frankly, her behavior was shameful, and she comported her profession poorly. If I was a legit journalist, I'd be embarrased and ashamed.

I asked the same question on Bill Maher's forum.  What is the difference between the Clinton Foundation accepting donations from rich and/or foreign sources and Republican presidential candidates from accepting campaign contributions from super rich sources (Koch, Ailes) who have personal and also have foreign interests? 

My sister and I have been yelling this for forever. Sheldon Adelson isn't looking for a little quo for his quid?

Basically. They have to campaign against perceived scandals and wrong doing rather than issues and policies, so they're going to dredge up ass much as they can. Clinton is arguably more hawkish than Obama, so that kind of takes the wind out of the sails of that issue.

Typo of the week!

Judith Miller interrupted Jon more than he interrupted her. Gah, she and her shit-eating grin make me want to hurl. Frickin' Cheney set up an office for himself in the CIA so he could more easily catapult the propaganda (or whatever phrase Bush the Lesser used) to the media. JM was just a conduit, a stenographer. Good on Jon for not smacking the smile right off her face. Ugh.

Most likely.

Well, they didn't do so well. JS was prepared and outmanuevered her handily. Frankly, her behavior was shameful, and she comported her profession poorly. If I was a legit journalist, I'd be embarrased and ashamed.

Except that, not only is she not ashamed and embarrassed "journalist", she looked very pleased with herself at the end of the interview. That's the Fox News way.

I thought this episode was pretty good, from the SCOTUS gay marriage oral argument take down to the Miller interview.

My one thought during the gay-marriage segment was that I just can't see the same type of bit being done by Trevor.  Not that what he would do wouldn't work, but just that he has such a different perspective of things, coming from outside the US, that I'm not sure it will resonate as much with most Americans, who see such issues from a purely American perspective.

• Love 2

My one thought during the gay-marriage segment was that I just can't see the same type of bit being done by Trevor.  

Yes, I'm really not sure what his show is going to be like, but I was not impressed by his pushing his way into the Minaj interview earlier in the week. It was lame and awkwardly done. I've yet to see him do anything I've found funny or even interesting. I'm worried.

Except that, not only is she not ashamed and embarrassed "journalist", she looked very pleased with herself at the end of the interview. That's the Fox News way.

To be fair, I've been on a losing side of the argument before during debates for class, when I realize everything I'm saying is horseshit. It seemed she was doing the old "smile and look poised before being horrified and in tears a few minutes later".

Let's face it, it's the end of era. And with Stephen Colbert gone, and Jon Stewart on the way out, the blowhards at Fox and the rest of the right wing must feel like it's going to be Christmas 365 days a year. Both Stephen and Jon have said at various times that it's sad a couple of comedians are looked to as our national truth-tellers. Yes, but that's been the reality, because the mainstream media is so spineless and corrupt. And since we lost George Carlin there isn't even a comedian out there brave enough to say things that might cost them appearances (and big bucks) in the corporate controlled entertainment industry.

From the admittedly little I've heard and seen of Trevor Noah, I don't have much hope. Like most young entertainers who came up in the social media age, he seems to be all about tossing off glib one-liners that have no depth or underlying seriousness. Just because you can offend people does not make you brave or "controversial." Fat chick jokes? Really?

Also, while I ordinarily couldn't give a damn where somebody's from, what's made Jon Stewart so great is that he obviously cares passionately and deeply about where his country is going. People have said that Noah can provide an "outsider's perspective," but I don't think it's any secret that non-Americans generally look at this country (especially our politicians) and think that we're bat shit crazy. For me, an outsider poking fingers and saying "you guys suck" is not what we need. We need people like Colbert and Jon Stewart, who because they're emotionally invested have genuine anger, but can then brilliantly transform that anger into humor.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 13

That cuts both ways though. Because of our social media age, Noah is going to be ripped for being Not Jon Stewart after his first 30 seconds on air. In fact, he already is and the show hasn't even aired.

• Love 2

For me, an outsider poking fingers and saying "you guys suck" is not what we need. We need people like Colbert and Jon Stewart, who because they're emotionally invested have genuine anger, but can then brilliantly transform that anger into humor.

Or at least an outsider who has lived here for a few years and understands the issues like John Oliver.

Tonight is Samantha Bee's last night. Sad to see all these people jumping ship.

• Love 2

Miller was on Bill Maher a week or so ago, I don't know what other interviews she's given but I'm sure for this is one Jon was going to be loaded for bear.

She was also on Chris Hayes' show All In and he ripped into her pretty good. Chris can be pretty exciteable at the best of times and he got pretty wound up with her lies and evasions but ended up pretty much just like Jon did - totally exasperated.

• Love 1

To be fair, I've been on a losing side of the argument before during debates for class, when I realize everything I'm saying is horseshit. It seemed she was doing the old "smile and look poised before being horrified and in tears a few minutes later".

When Jon knows he's gotten the better of his opponent, like Crossfire or Jim Cramer or Bill O'Reilly, he shows some confidence in himself after the interview. Last night against Judith Miller, he looked like he did when he went up against a similar living piece of shit that would not be moved from their opinions, like Cliff May or John Yoo. Like he wanted to drink a lot of hard grain alcohol to numb the pain and depression.

Shep rules. Wish Jon could have said the same.

So Samantha is now gone and there's no more Canadians at TDS. Pity! :(

Bernie Sanders' heart may be in the right place, but whenever I see him I'm thinking "Invest in a comb, dude."

Kristen Wiig is a triple threat. Very sexy, very smart, and very, very funny. I wished we could have heard more from her instead of Jon doing most of the talking.

• Love 2

Last night against Judith Miller, he looked like he did when he went up against a similar living piece of shit that would not be moved from their opinions, like Cliff May or John Yoo. Like he wanted to drink a lot of hard grain alcohol to numb the pain and depression.

The number one thing about these people is that they will never, ever, ever admit that they were wrong. The king of that is of course Dick Cheney. Hell, none of the people in the Nixon Administration have ever even admitted they were wrong about The Vietnam War. Whether it's ignorance, ego, or pride, what it comes down to is that as a country we keep on making the same mistakes, time after time, with the same disastrous results.

• Love 2

I watched the entire interview last night and it broke my heart to see Jon so sad at the end.

Fun fact - Judith Miller's twitter handle is JMfreespeech.

Go ahead and wrap yourself in the Constitution, just like Cheney and the rest of those pieces of garbage you ass kissed to get "The Story".

"I relied on intelligence that was always right before".  

Guess what.  Until I was nine years old, I believed my mother when she told me Santa was coming.  

Some of us eventually figure out we're being lied to. 

• Love 11
Fun fact - Judith Miller's twitter handle is JMfreespeech.

If by 'fun' you mean 'omg-so-depressingly-obtuse', then, yep!

I was crying-laughing at the whole 'diarrhea' bit (holy crap, I'd forgotten I used to know that darling ditty), and then I was crying-crying with Sam's departure reel. And then I was 'when did Kristen Wiig move to Oompa-Loompa Land and why won't she come home?'

• Love 3

I was surprised that Sam didn't have a sit-down with Jon, but I got the impression that she didn't think she could do it without crying.

Kristin's interview segment seemed kind of long, though most of it seemed to consist of Jon talking about Samantha. The interview could have been a lot of fun, but it was just weird that Jon spent so much of the time on things other than Kristin.

• Love 1
The number one thing about these people is that they will never, ever, ever admit that they were wrong.

That's why trying to hold them accountable is always so frustrating, and I'm always of two minds if trying to hold them accountable is worthwhile. I guess it is just to hear them weasel out of responsibility—you get to see them do the weaseling.

That doesn't excuse her not verifying the information with another source.

Sam's sendoff was lovely. Jon's description of throwing her into a car trunk and smuggling her over the border was great. If Canada has to give us Justin Bieber, at least it also gave us Samantha Bee.

• Love 2

I didn't tear up, but I was caught off guard, I'd say, when she finally came out onto the stage and I could tell that she was crying. The whole clip tribute was excellent (honestly, they could have spent an entire show on those), and I was actually expecting more of an interview with her afterwards but I was quite taken aback when she finally came out and you could tell she was losing it. Such a genuine moment.

Too bad Bernie Sanders doesn't have a shot in hell of winning. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

I was surprised that Sam didn't have a sit-down with Jon, but I got the impression that she didn't think she could do it without crying.

Kristin's interview segment seemed kind of long, though most of it seemed to consist of Jon talking about Samantha.

I choose to believe that they planned on doing a sit down with Sam, but that when it became apparent that it would consist of nothing but Sam (and probably Jon) blubbering (not that there's anything wrong with that!), they just decided to bag it.  So, the interview then ended up going longer than anyone was prepared for and ended up with a bunch more more Sam tribute as filler/transition. 

At any rate, it was a very sweet moment for Sam, and although some of her more out-there segments the past year or two didn't work for me, that clip of her goading Republicans into not quite uttering the word "choice" reminded me of why I will always love her despite a few pieces that fell flat. 

And regardless of whether it was planned or not, Kristin was a good sport to let her promotional interview be turned into a "we love Sam" fest.

• Love 3
Hell, none of the people in the Nixon Administration have ever even admitted they were wrong about The Vietnam War.

I do believe Bob McNamara admitted it at one point, but I don't know if he was in the Nixon Administration or LBJ.

In hindsight, I can't believe how weak her excuses were. Did she think people would buy them? Isn't it your job to make sure the intelligence is actually still right?

That's why trying to hold them accountable is always so frustrating, and I'm always of two minds if trying to hold them accountable is worthwhile. I guess it is just to hear them weasel out of responsibility—you get to see them do the weaseling.

I think if it raises awareness in only a few people, then it's worth it. 

Do people not know who Bernie Sanders is? I thought the jokes were kind of lame.

I know Chelsea Clinton is an adult, but she's never been in politics and she's not her parents, so I think it's unfair of that Fox News guy to criticize her. I know she's a public figure (ish), but I think it's just distasteful. 

I was crying-laughing at the whole 'diarrhea' bit (holy crap, I'd forgotten I used to know that darling ditty), and then I was crying-crying with Sam's departure reel. And then I was 'when did Kristen Wiig move to Oompa-Loompa Land and why won't she come home?'

Yeah, I was telling my sister that I don't understand why women who look awesome with their naturally darkish hair color and fair skin (I'm looking at you, Rachel McAdams), go the bleached blond spray tan route. Not.A.Good.Look.

(edited)

Yeah, I was telling my sister that I don't understand why women who look awesome with their naturally darkish hair color and fair skin (I'm looking at you, Rachel McAdams), go the bleached blond spray tan route. Not.A.Good.Look.

The problem is these ladies don't get the right blond. Just because you're fair-skinned doesn't mean you can go really light. Which is then why they do the awful spray tan. It's piling bad on bad.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I do believe Bob McNamara admitted it at one point, but I don't know if he was in the Nixon Administration or LBJ.

McNamara was Secretary of Defense for JFK and LBJ, and was definitely the cabinet member most responsible for the escalation of the war.  When his book came out I remember thinking, "A little too late, Bob," but at least he had the guts to admit his mistakes.

Topic: Lots of dust in my living room when Sam Bee said her goodbye.  I will never forget how masterful she was at making anti-choice Republicans appear completely moronic.

• Love 1

I choose to believe that they planned on doing a sit down with Sam, but that when it became apparent that it would consist of nothing but Sam (and probably Jon) blubbering (not that there's anything wrong with that!), they just decided to bag it.  So, the interview then ended up going longer than anyone was prepared for and ended up with a bunch more more Sam tribute as filler/transition. 

At any rate, it was a very sweet moment for Sam, and although some of her more out-there segments the past year or two didn't work for me, that clip of her goading Republicans into not quite uttering the word "choice" reminded me of why I will always love her despite a few pieces that fell flat. 

Yup, used just enough tissues to cry enough but still being rational about the way they did the segment. 

I don't what else to say about the tribute besides the retrospective during the interview with Kristin Wiig. I feel the empty hole growing bigger when Jon talked about the many people leaving the show. I'm not sure if I'm ready to face his final episode. I feel like Kristin's memories of her final SNL show made me wonder how TDS was gonna handle Jon's final episode. While I do think the past correspondents' reunion seems like a longtime TDS fan's wet dream, the highlight reel of Jon's time seems more likely, unless TDS would like to prove me wrong. I hope they do. Maybe calling Mick Jagger would be too farfetched but who knows.

BTW, I know it's late since Jonny-bun covered Baltimore, but judging by the lack of a segment title (replaced with a visual of Baltimore on the map and a group of Baltimore protestors (or police, IDK) and a broken car), TDS meant business when they covered the story.

Do people not know who Bernie Sanders is? I thought the jokes were kind of lame.

I was cringing during that whole piece. I get that Jon prides himself on taking on the left as well as the right. But ridiculing Bernie Sanders' appearance or his lack of finances is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to get from Fox.  Jon has gotten tons of comic mileage out of the Clinton excesses, the media circus around Hilary, their connections with the wealthy and powerful. But then apparently Bernie Sanders' lack of money and pretension is also cause for derision.

Matt Taibbi wrote a great piece about Bernie Sanders for Rolling Stone that was picked up by Huffington Post. He pointed out that money so thoroughly dominates politics now that we commonly determine whether someone is a "serious candidate" or not solely on how much in campaign donations they can raise. Not on their message or beliefs or motivation in running. So in his breezy dismal of Bernie Sanders, Jon Stewart, who is against the Citizens United ruling, and decries the influence of Sheldon Adelson and the Koch Brothers and big money in politics, turns out to be just like everyone else.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was pretty shocked too at the way Jon handled Sanders.  I thought it was going to build up into a positive twist, but instead he kept dishing out the diss.  This election needs someone like Sanders, even if he has no chance of getting anywhere.  Was disappointed to see him dismissed so vehemently. 

Edited by Stupidog
  • Love 3
(edited)

I just loved Sam's send-off. I think my favorite all time segment of hers is the one with the delegate to the Republican convention sunnily telling her about how yes, he might like to get a photo taken with a black person as there are none in Minnesota.

Can we assume that all these correspondents are leaving the show because Jon's time is winding down? Do they want to start with a whole new slate when he's gone? What about Jessica Williams? I assume she is staying and she is so talented. Maybe it will be just the newer ones come September.

There is a large spread about David Letterman in the Times, as his retirement approaches. Of course, all I could think about was that soon these pieces will be about Jon.

It's all too much to bear.

Edited by UnderCover
(edited)

I was pretty shocked too at the way Jon handled Sanders.  I thought it was going to build up into a positive twist, but instead he kept dishing out the diss.  This election needs someone like Sanders, even if he has no chance of getting anywhere.  Was disappointed to see him dismissed so vehemently. 

I can guarantee you that if Elizabeth Warren were running she would not have gotten that kind of dismissive and condescending treatment, even though she also would have no chance to win the nomination. Jon loves her, she's the darling of the left wing of the Democratic party, who all wanted her to run. But she made it clear that she wasn't, and it's Bernie Sanders who had the guts to step up. Of course he knows he was no chance, but he's going to make sure that progressive issues like economic justice, which he's fought for all his public life, and didn't just embrace out of necessity like Hillary, really get discussed during the campaign.

Bernie Sanders is blunt, a straight shooter, totally un-image conscious, and probably one of less than a literal handful of people in Washington who have maintained their integrity and completely steered clear of the corrupting influence of big corporations and the billionaire class, who he openly holds in contempt. In short, he's everything you'd think Jon Stewart would embrace. But instead, Jon treats him with the kind of sneering contempt I'd expect to hear on Fox and Friends. 

Enjoy your Hillary-Jeb election, Jon.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

I love Bernie Sanders, but that was a rather cavalier way to handle an announcement that you're RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.  Which is the sort of thing that Jon will make fun of.  Not the man or his record or his platform.

• Love 3