Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
windsprints

Behind The Scenes: The Drama Behind the Drama

But I think she was supposed to come back after Alex dumping her and Meredith begging her to stay. That storyline was to accommodate Heigls family leave. She was due back to film the final five episodes of that season but Heigl wouldn’t return so Izzies shitty exit is moreso as a result of that then it was writers wanting her gone. 

• Like 2

That's what I remember. She pissed off the show runners. 

That seems phenomenally easy to do. I remember she had the colossal gall to say she did not submit her work for Emmy consideration one year because she didn't feel like she had the material that year. Naturally, Shonda Rhimes took this as a personal insult. TK Knight and Patrick Dempsey also had the nerve to point out they weren't getting a lot of material and the result was that they were essentially written out of the show, maybe getting one line per episode, until they finally left. So apparently actors are not permitted to express how they feel about the writing their characters are getting without fear of reprisal. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That seems phenomenally easy to do. I remember she had the colossal gall to say she did not submit her work for Emmy consideration one year because she didn't feel like she had the material that year. Naturally, Shonda Rhimes took this as a personal insult. TK Knight and Patrick Dempsey also had the nerve to point out they weren't getting a lot of material and the result was that they were essentially written out of the show, maybe getting one line per episode, until they finally left. So apparently actors are not permitted to express how they feel about the writing their characters are getting without fear of reprisal. 

That's what I told my dad the other night, when he asked "why doesn't that guy shut up?" when he was in the kitchen, and I was watching it in the living room. I explained that he wanted to leave the show suddenly, so they had to make something up, and this was it. As we walked back into the living room, George appeared on-screen, so I told him, "When he had problems with his character getting side-lined, they had him hit by a bus."

Edited by Anela

I agree that the showrunners are difficult but Heigls is the one case where I don’t think they did anything wrong. She publicly slated the show the show by withdrawing from the Emmys so they gave her the cancer storyline, they granted her time off which ended up being her ultimate exit storyline because she refused to come back. They wanted her to stay, she wasn’t willing to and because of that her exit was left as it was. 

• Like 5

On 3/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, iMonrey said:

I think the issue may be publicly complaining about the show. 

In any other industry if you go to the media and say negative things about your boss/company, you will likely not have a job for long. Making your employer look bad in front of others is generally a bad idea. You should approach them privately with your concerns/complaints.

Now in the case of Grey's maybe they did and it didn't work, or maybe they just didn't care about getting fired.

• Like 3

As far as Heigl goes, I do not think Grey’s Anatomy did anything wrong. Saying that she withdrew because she didn’t think she had worthy material was just stupid. It may have been true, but it’s still stupid. Then, they granted her time off, and she still couldn’t be bothered to show up and finish her job? Yeah, in this rare instance, I am taking Shonda’s side.

• Like 4

My stance is heigl burned the bridge between her and Shonda. 

But so much time has passed and heigl has publicly been remorseful of how she behaved but Shonda and co are still being petty as hell when it comes to heigl and izzie. 

It’s like we can’t take into account personal growth over a decade. 

• Like 6

I think Ellen said it best when she said the early success of the show was hard on everyone. I appreciate that Ellen has never has never put on the "everything was fine!" facade that most actors put on. She even admitted to being one of the actors who let it get to her head early on. Grey's peak was the era where ratings REALLY mattered. It made news when Grey's started passing Desperate Housewives in the ratings. The show took off in an absolutely massive way. It was basically the big farewell of broadcast TV ruling the world. They had both massive ratings and critical success, and the actors became celebrities virtually overnight. 

Katherine didn't show up to set and later said she reached out to the team to ask for time off because her adopted daughter wasn't bonding with her. It's clear tensions were high between she and Shonda, and Shonda made that very obvious in the following years. But Shonda also said she was incredibly overwhelmed as a showrunner. She went from "the girl that wrote Crossroads" to one of the first celebrity showrunners along with JJ Abrams, Marc Cherry, etc. It's a lot of pressure to have that type of $ on your back when you have no experience being in charge of so many things. I think much of the turbulence of the early years comes down to this, on all accounts - Katherine, Shonda, Patrick all had moments of ego overtaking them. 

What bugs me is how long Shonda let it linger. Krista alluded to wanting to bring Izzie back for the 300th episode, and Shonda turned the idea down. 

I appreciate Ellen, Debbie, Krista and Shonda fighting over the last several years to transform the set from toxic to one that the actors gush about. I don't think that was an easy thing.

• Like 8

@BaseOps - agree overall with your assessment. 

The one thing I struggle with is where to put the firings of Sarah Drew & Jessica Capshaw in that context. Neither strike me as people who contributed to a toxic culture. 

I am on the fence re: Sara Ramirez on that topic. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, cycworker said:

The one thing I struggle with is where to put the firings of Sarah Drew & Jessica Capshaw in that context. Neither strike me as people who contributed to a toxic culture. 

Those were plot based. I get them writing off Arizona because without Callie, Arizona was pretty much just floating around in limbo with nothing to do. Sarah Drew was the victim of the writers thinking that fans would never really accept Jackson in a new relationship if April was still around. Alas, it was all for naught. They didn’t take into account that the majority of Jackson and April’s chemistry came from Sarah Drew’s side. 

• Like 12

Anyone betting they want the show to reach 400 episodes before finally finishing up for good? Will be interesting to see how they wrap things up and end the show. 
Meredith running GSM??

4 hours ago, GSManiac said:

Anyone betting they want the show to reach 400 episodes before finally finishing up for good? Will be interesting to see how they wrap things up and end the show. 
Meredith running GSM??

Yeah, at this point I see them trying to do this before they finally pull the plug. 

This is still one of ABC’s top rated shows. They aren’t cancelling it. The only way this goes off the air is when the production company decides they’ve had enough.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1