Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: The Drama Behind the Drama

• Start Topic

(edited)

In this interview to Jerrika Hinton, the editor specifies that "ABC is not allowing comments on the departure of Patrick Dempsey at this time". Nothing new actually (not related to this topic anyway), this is just a confirmation that the silence of crew and cast was not privacy or else, but the policy of the network.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 3

I highly doubt that this is true but am posting it here because this is the site that first said a major Shondaland character was being killed off. The first rumor was dismissed because its a gossip site but it ended up being true. 

(edited)

I question it as well, maasa, since the quote attributed to Pompeo makes no sense.  I would think a reputable source could get a least a sentence right....

Edited by pennben
(edited)

I highly doubt that a married lead actress can convince a network to fire her divorced co-star for an alleged affair with a young staffer, but thanks maasa for posting!

Edited by Elle8

I highly doubt that a married lead actress can get fired a divorced co-star for an alleged affair with a young staffer, but thanks maasa for posting!

So let's see. He was a diva, wait...no, he was a diva and didn't know his lines. No? He didn't know his lines and cost the production company too much money because he was unprepared. No?

It would be comical if it wasn't maligning the actor.

• Love 3
(edited)

Even if this is true, can you really get fired for that? I'm having an hard time believing that. Unless it affected his work... but it seems like another trashy gossip honestly.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 2

I don't think those gossips are true, and I have a hard time believing that he would get fired for that. Also, I don't think Ellen would do that, it makes no sense. I mean, it's none of her business. I wouldn't do that to a friend and as far as we know Ellen and Patrick were close.

• Love 2
(edited)

Doesn't make sense when Ellen is one of the people Dempsey said he's "very good" with and one of the ones he didn't dump on Twitter.

Sounds like more Shonda sources with the smear campaign to take heat off her/ABC.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

Plus, Ellen teased (joked) a year or so ago about Patrick "copping a feel" on set every once in a while. Doesn't sound like she was too worried about his wife then. Not that I ever think there was anything but playfulness between them, and I think Ellen respected Jill, but I don't think I would say something like that and then insinuate myself between a couple who was having problems.

• Love 1
(edited)

The link is not working for me :/

Looking like In Touch took it down. Its still showing via a google search but the article isn't found. Sorry, it was there when I posted it here.

can you really get fired for that?

Doubtful, especially in Hollywood. If (any I am not saying there is) there's any shred of truth in it there would have to be some element of harassment - something that had legal grounds as a basis.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
I highly doubt that this is true but am posting it here because this is the site that first said a major Shondaland character was being killed off. The first rumor was dismissed because its a gossip site but it ended up being true.

That site also had only Scandal tagged in that article, so it was still a long shot and apparently the Scandal finale will have

3 deaths or so

. At this point, I think it's safe to assume more deaths are coming. 

As for the gossip itself, they're just throwing shit around and see what sticks and go with it. The diva rumors didn't work out, so let's go with sexual misconduct. Or whatever it was. 

I don't think those gossips are true, and I have a hard time believing that he would get fired for that.

If it was harassment of some sort or the "young female staffer" was underage or he was deliberately being unprofessional on set, I don't think there's much ground to be fired at. But I'm not sure about ABC's policies on work place relationships or not.

I'm wondering what they'll come up with, next. 

This may fit the current gossip discussed here.

This is getting to telenovela levels. That was fast though. 

this is just a confirmation that the silence of crew and cast was not privacy or else, but the policy of the network.

File this under the "No Shit Sherlock" tag. But at least a couple of the cast did speak up nicely about it. So at least there's that. 

• Love 2

where there is smoke ,....

There has been stories for years about him and younger girls. His wife got fed up.

Maybe the Amanda Jordan blind/story is true. 

There has been stories for years about him and younger girls. His wife got fed up.

And yet, not one proven. 

The smoke seems to be someone else's and it's intoxicating everything where he stands. 

• Love 1
(edited)

where there is smoke ,....

Maybe the Amanda Jordan blind/story is true. 

May be, but why ellen should care to the point of get him fired? why the network should? After all, it's the fact the he was fired that started the rumors, not the other way around. they could have handled this without the mess. Also, If every actor had to be fired for having affairs, Hollywood would be a ghost town.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 2

This may fit the current gossip discussed here.

I don't care if Patrick Dempsey had an affair, but I am curious who else on the show would've gotten fired before him if they were firing for having affairs. It implies an actor and an actress with a long tenure on the show. Seems like a lot of the long-timers are married, so...it could be anyone!

hahaha thanks for posting this!

This is totally like a telenovela and I know what I'm talking about, because I've seen a LOT of telenovelas lol

Eolivet, I assumed they were talking about Ellen which makes this even funnier than it was already.

• Love 3

I doubt the story is true if he was really innapropaite with a young actress I'm sure we would have heard about it now. There have been stories for years about Patrick and his wife being unhappy/jealous of te female attention he Received. I wasn't shocked at all I was suprised they lasted as long as they did.

And yet, not one proven. 

The smoke seems to be someone else's and it's intoxicating everything where he stands. 

It's funny, I follow him very closely, and I've never heard of him with young girls. I've heard other things, but not this. He must have the most amazing endurance in the world to be running a racing team, training/bicycling, developing a charity, being an actor, and a father AND have time to run around with various women.

• Love 4
(edited)

Actually, if this producer fired everyone on that show who had an affair, they would have fired several other cast members first, starting with this actor and this actress. Both of them had affairs during their tenure on the show, and neither of them got the boot or the horns!

Let's pretend that this gossip is true and let's assume they're talking about PD and EP. Are they implying they had an affair with each other or that they had affairs with other people? 

As for him going out with younger girls, is that really an issue? I mean, I'm 20 and I'd totally go out with him lol 

Unless those gossips mean underage girls, that would be akward, but I don't believe it.

Edited by Kagomei

Dempsey can't be the other actor, because he was not fired for having an affair, per the blind item. My interpretation of the blind item is he wasn't fired for having an affair, because if the show was going to start firing people for having affairs, this other actor and actress would've been fired before him. To me, that means long-time cast members, and I don't think it meant "having an affair with each other" -- just "these two had several affairs."

Pompeo and...McKidd? Chambers? James Pickens Jr.? Not a lot of choice when it comes to the men.

(edited)

What about Sandra and Kevin? A lot of people think they had an affair. I've seen many people on Twitter shipping them together.

Thanks, windsprints.

Edited by Kagomei
(edited)

I don't know about those stories because I'm not American and they are not that famous here. Can you tell me more, choclatechip45?

I don't remember much, but there were a few stories about Jillian (Patrick's wife now ex-wife) being jealous of  Ellen/Patrick chemistry and people would say they were having an affair. Ellen's husband is rumored once a year to be cheating on her. Re Sandra/Ellen I remember a few blind items about co-stars who were best friends on screen that hated each other in real life that people thought were them. To be fair some of them did have Grey's references so it wasn't out of blue. I know people would always read into the fact they were never seen hanging out outside the show. The only one I ever believed was that Jillian was jealous of the female attention Patrick received. I think it makes sense considering his over night success  I would imagine it would be an adjustment for any marriage plus with all the time he's was away in the early seasons between press tours, racing, and his movie career.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
(edited)

"

Doubtful, especially in Hollywood. If (any I am not saying there is) there's any shred of truth in it there would have to be some element of harassment - something that had legal grounds as a basis."

I do think this is just internet gossip made up by the tabs. But yes you can get fired for that. There are sexual harassment laws as well as contract morality clauses. And if there was activity that made other employees uncomfortable a person could get fired for that.

That said i don't relieve anything Intouch publishes ever.

In terms of where this gossip is coming from (because someone mentioned it up thread) this stuff frequently comes from the tabs themselves- Derek dies tons of people are talking about Greys and dempsey sudden departure the tabs then make up a story around that drama to sell their magazines.

While some negative things can be leaked by camps (tmz getting reports about his ego reagarding the divorce likely came from his wife and her legal team's camp)-doesn't mean it's true but it's what that camp is selling. The other side of tabloid gossip is not leaks or studio sources but made up shit, like how many babies has Jennifer Aniston been pregnant according to intouch and the enquire?r a dozen at least. No one is leaking that is just made up.

Edited by noname1
Patrick Dempsey 'inappropriate relationship' rumor is not true, says star's rep

Of course not. Now what will they make up next? 

This is totally like a telenovela and I know what I'm talking about, because I've seen a LOT of telenovelas lol

Same. My entire childhood/adolescence was spent on countless telenovelas. I believe the next "rumor" is that this is Patrick's evil twin.

Just wait.

• Love 3

Same. My entire childhood/adolescence was spent on countless telenovelas. I believe the next "rumor" is that this is Patrick's evil twin.

Hahahaha yes!

And that the real Patrick is in a coma so they sent the evil twin to replace him.

• Love 2

As for Sandra and Ellen I don't get why people think that coworkers must be best friends. They were colleagues, that's all. And even if they didn't like each other (which I doubt) they did a very good job on screen and that's enough.

I agree. I have to spend a lot of time with my co workers because of my job so I am very happy not spending time with them in my personal life.

• Love 1

I saw this. My take is that it's saying rumors are that he got fired due to an affair, but it's saying or hinting that rumors are a great retaliation for a whiny exit.... or an interview that would rile up an already angry fan base by saying he didn't want to leave (the EW interview ).

The other two actors are probably actors who got better onscreen exits despite that they had extramarital affairs. So, why would the show care about who's sleeping with who now? I'd guess Sandra Oh and Eric Dane. Both had affairs, yet their exits were considered better than Patrick Dempsey's, as they weren't isolated from the cast before.

• Love 1

Who did Eric Dane have an affair with?

I think she is guessing that Eric and sandra each had affairs. Wasn't Sandra divorced for the majority of her time on the show anyway? or did she remarry after Alexander Payne?

(edited)

I'm posting this just for fun at this point: the new chapter of the telenovela ties the diva and the affairs rumors, and leaves Ellen Pompeo out of the picture. Now is just Shonda is the one mad at Patrick. 

"But the source insists, “The Grey’s Anatomy set is one of the most family-friendly in the business. Shonda has nurseries, not only for the star’s babies, but the crew as well. Family members were always welcome to come by the set.”

This is hilarious, the anonymous source insists! He/She was contacted for more details and has to insists on the story, and talking good things about Shonda's working environment. It's ridiculous. 

Looks like ABC's PR and Shonda are more creative when they create smear campaigns than when they have to write the storylines for their own shows.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 1

This is hilarious, the anonymous sources insists! He/She was contacted for more details and has to insists on the story, and talking good things about Shonda's working environment. It's ridiculous.

Looks like ABC's PR and Shonda are more creative when they create smear campaigns than when they have to write the storylines for their own shows.

You know that radar does not work for ABC Shondaland right? most tabs make up the majority of their stories on their own. They will occasional stumble on to something real but for the most part they take celebs and people of interest that are currently popular and then roll along with whatever concoction they want.

If they were leaking tales they would go with more valid publications. They could have certainly dropped info to People magazine, even US weekly with as much trash as it covers usually has valid sources. US weekly is often the first to report on celeb break ups, divorces and all things ugly because people sell the stories to them and they chase the story. If there is a bit of celeb gossip and it's from the enquirer,intouch, radar, hollywoodlife or crazydaysandnights I pay it no mind-if its coming from US, eonline TMZ or People well then it may very well be true.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know how those things work in the specifics, but who else could have the interest of making up those rumors, also using details of how great Shondaland is? I'm sure that Shonda is sensitive to parenthood and her employees, but was this information really relevant in this context? Patrick may be a cheater, but still, you fire him for this when the affair was well hidden to the public? They're talking about it now that people are curious and speculating about why he was fired , mostly blaming Shonda. Would you be surprised if those benevolent anonymous sources that came out of nowhere were ABC pr that try to do some good damage control? After all, the spoiler about a "major character death" came also from a cheap gossip website. In my opinion, this is total BS and ABC is just trying to muddy the waters.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 1

I'm not sure why some are determined to attribute these rumours to Shonda/ABC. Patrick's contract was terminated. We don't know why and we might never know why but I'm not going to suddenly find Shonda/ABC the most evil of evil because Patrick's rep released a statement that makes him the innocent party (it's their job to do so). Neither will I sit here and believe the rumours about Patrick either. I just think people's love for Derek is stopping them from seeing that tabloids make up stories all on their own, they don't need any outside help.

• Love 5

I don't know how those things work in the specifics, but who else could have the interest of making up those rumors, also using details of how great Shondaland is? I'm sure that Shonda is sensitive to parenthood and her employees, but was this information really relevant in this context? Patrick may be a cheater, but still, you fire him for this when the affair was well hidden to the public? They're talking about it now that people are curious and speculating about why he was fired , mostly blaming Shonda. Would you be surprised if those benevolent anonymous sources that came out of nowhere were ABC pr that try to do some good damage control? After all, the spoiler about a "major character death" came also from a cheap gossip website. In my opinion, this is total BS and ABC is just trying to muddy the waters.

Any gossip site that wants clicks or tabloid that wants to sell papers.

Maybe a disgruntled crew member or lower level employee. I just don't believe that Shonda herself or one of her representatives has the time or inclination to make up lurid stories about one of her former colleagues. She has lots of different irons in the fire and PD and even Greys just isn't THAT important to her, IMO.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not sure why some are determined to attribute these rumours to Shonda/ABC. Patrick's contract was terminated. We don't know why and we might never know why but I'm not going to suddenly find Shonda/ABC the most evil of evil because Patrick's rep released a statement that makes him the innocent party (it's their job to do so). Neither will I sit here and believe the rumours about Patrick either. I just think people's love for Derek is stopping them from seeing that tabloids make up stories all on their own, they don't need any outside help.

I reapeat, I don't know in the specifics how the smear campaigns works, so you maybe you're right. I'm just thinking, if the tabloids are making up stories on their own just to buzz around topics, why should they say:

"But the source insists, “The Grey’s Anatomy set is one of the most family-friendly in the business. Shonda has nurseries, not only for the star’s babies, but the crew as well. Family members were always welcome to come by the set."

while talking about cheating and unprofessional behavior. Unless he did cheat in the nursery in front of the kids, I don't see the need of those details. They sound like publicity to restore Shonda's image talking good about her work environment (and I agree that she didn't deserve the defamations she had).

Those are my own thoughts about this umpteenth ridiculous article, and I acknowledge that I may be wrong. I'm just sharing a point of view.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't know how those things work in the specifics, but who else could have the interest of making up those rumors, also using details of how great Shondaland is?

Anyone who want clicks on their site to drive ad funds or has magazines to sell. Its why tabs are always saying one celebrity or another are pregnant, sometimes an actress eats a burrito and next thing you know shes on the cover on the Enquirer with a a baby on the way headline and years later still zero babies, same goes with domestic shake ups, loss movie jobs etc. Its just baiting.

Or who knows maybe there was an debacle with a staffer and she sold the story. This happens all the time to politicians , actors, actresses.

Edited by noname1
(edited)

So ABC is "smearing" an actor they have on ongoing relationship with? From the EW article PD has an office on the lot, is still under contract with the overall deal he signed and working on new projects. ABC having any hand makes zero sense to me.

Its why tabs are always saying one celebrity or another are pregnant

Or the same celeb pregnant 50x like Jennifer Anniston, lol.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2
(edited)

reapeat, I don't know in the specific how the smear campaigns works, so you maybe you're right. I'm just thinking, if the tabloids are making up stories on their own just to buzz around topics, why should they say:

"But the source insists, “The Grey’s Anatomy set is one of the most family-friendly in the business. Shonda has nurseries, not only for the star’s babies, but the crew as well. Family members were always welcome to come by the set."

because in stories they often lay out a good guy/bad guy scenario.

Edited by noname1