Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: Asylum

Reese and Fusco get caught in the war between the two newest POIs, rival crime bosses Elias and Dominic. Also, a tantalizing clue to Shaw’s whereabouts leads Finch and Root into a possible trap, and Control goes rogue to uncover the true intentions of the Samaritan program.
  • Love 2

Short promo for Asylum.

SHAW!!!!!!! No way that ISN'T a trap, but there's also no way Root and Finch don't go spring the trap hoping against hope....

(Mods, please move if you'd rather this be in the spoiler thread--since we haven't had one until recently, and promos have usually been listed with the episodes, not sure where you'd rather this promo go!)

ETA: Extended promo. OH MY GOD this episode looks so good!

I'm guessing that Root's "Keep fighting!" is to The Machine.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

Oh, Leslie "Root" Groves, you adorable little psychopath, will you marry me? I might've let out a rather loud "Yes!" when she snapped Martine's neck.

On the Brotherhood side, Domanic doesn't how close he is to the truth of things. Too bad he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

And then there's 'Control'. I still don't like her much, she's committed too many sins, but I respect the skills.

• Love 3

Shit. Just...whoa. At least Martine is dead. 

Elias has an endgame. He hasn't given up. John seems like he's not quite back in his body after his experience last week. 

Everyone was in such peril every damn minute of the episode I think I need to run around the block or something to get rid of my nervous tension.

(And WHAT was that in the cast that Root was wearing at the start of the episode?)

• Love 3

If Shelly is supposedly a teacher in Washington - and that is where the accident supposedly takes place - I wonder why her minivan sports New York registration plate.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 1

If Shelly is supposedly a teacher in Washington - and that is where the accident supposedly takes place - I wonder why her minivan sports New York registration plate.

Probably the same reason Dulles had PacBell pay phones in Die Hard 2.

• Love 2

I cannot watch Right now but want to know did Elias survive ? I so enjoy his character on the show and knew he and Dominic was having a major showdown but do not want to lose Elias

Edited by CountryCrazy
  • Love 1

Holy merde. I have claw marks in my lap from the cat who was startled from her slumber when I let out a WHOOP! when Root killed Martine. I'm so glad they let Root have that kill. She really needed that one.

Shaw! Please be okay and not brainwashed!

• Love 3

(And WHAT was that in the cast that Root was wearing at the start of the episode?)

Some sort of printed circuit board with a chip attached.

It looks like Root inserted it in that locked briefcase from an earlier episode. (But the scene flew by, without much exposition.)

Also, NYC's pneumatic tube mail system did actually exist.

I cannot watch Right now but want to know did Elias survive ? I so enjoy his character on the show and knew he and Dominic was having a major showdown but do not want to lose Elias

Yes, though his left hand took a beating.
  • Love 1

Root snapping Martine's neck was so, so satisfying.

Agree!

.boy did I love Harold's line about "I didn't dress you as a homeless guy" line...

How about Root saying "he practically lives in the subway".

Good episode. Hopefully Shaw was not brainwashed.

• Love 6

A pneumatic tube system still exists (and is used) not a mile from where I live, on Roosevelt Island in the middle of the East River. Coincidentally, that's where there's an abandoned mental hospital that's being replaced by a HIGH TECH CAMPUS for technology development....(truth/stranger/fiction).

• Love 6

One tidbit I forgot to mention, Root vowing to kill Martine if she laid a hand on Harold. Martine smugly caresses a hand over Harold's face and the next thing she knows… SNAP!

I also loved that Greer didn't look shocked, upset, or any reaction other than slightly amused. I bet he wishes Root was on his side.

• Love 10

Yep, it's totally penultimate episode time!  They had about every big story involved in this episode.  Control returns, Elias vs. Dominic is back in full force, gang now knows Shaw is still alive, and now Samaritian knows where the Machine is located, and Greer's dispatched the agents!  Oh, shit!

Camryn Manheim is so fucking powerful as Control.  She just commands the screen.  I know I should hate her for the stuff she's done, but I still root for her on some levels, compared to the other bad guy characters.  Well, except one...

Elias!  I love Elias!  Totally knew he was setting up Dominic to kill his henchman, but I loved it!  Go Elias!  It sounds like he's prepared to die, but I hope they find some way to get out of this jam.  Both Reese and Fusco are tied down, but it looks like Harper might be up to something, so maybe she can heroically save him.  If she does, I might actually like her.

Root and Finch sneaking in the hospital was fun: loved Finch as the "hobo", and getting in by just telling the truth.  Michael Emerson seemed to be having fun in that scene.  It's too bad it was a trap and The Machine was forced to give herself up to save them, but, hey, at least Root finally took care of Martine and her smirk.  Unlike Finch, I was kind of evilly amused over how nonplussed Greer was about her death.  Hey, it happens in this line of work!

The finale should be insane.  Has there been any word yet about this show's fate?  I know the ratings took a hit, but I hope it's enough to keep going, assuming the gang wants to continue.

• Love 7

Great episode!  They blended together all three storylines so well.

I do love Control taking action and hopefully she will prove to be the ally that Team Machine needs.

Root was great and I can't believe she finished off Martine like that.  It was great though...Martine REALLY had that coming.

Enjoyed John's "happy" mood and him finally telling Lionel that he considers him a good friend and detective.

Enjoying the war between Elias and the Brotherhood but man, is Dominic stupid.  He trusted Elias twice and was fooled TWICE.

• Love 10

God, this episode was amazing,

First, Shaw is incontrovertibly alive, right?  And she seemed relatively alert and normal-looking, which doesn't mean she hasn't been chipped or something, of course.  But it was SO GOOD to hear/see her again.

The Machine valuing the life of Her human agents above Her own existence was expected, but still moved me; she proved Harold wrong at the most important moment imaginable.  

I also *loved* all of the Shoot emotions - Root taking the call from Shaw (of course), and we finally got to hear Shaw call her "Root" and Root call Shaw "Sameen" again, Root forcing The Machine's hand to reveal Shaw's location (even though The Machine must've known that doing so would put Root, Harold, and Herself at grave risk ... but the alternative was Root's certain death), Martine taunting Root about her "girlfriend" - although seriously, dude, boasting to Root about torturing Shaw was the Worst Idea Ever.  

At the Paley Center panel a couple of weeks ago, Amy Acker noted that the last couple of episodes would fill in some blanks about Root's relationship with The Machine.  So now we know that Root *did* at some point stop searching for Shaw (I guess before the end of 4X15 when she came back to save Harold), but wasn't happy about it at all.  Not nearly as much as I was hoping for after the momentous 4X13 ending, which seemed to be setting up a much larger loss-of-faith arc for Root, but I'm thinking maybe this is all we're getting ...

• Love 3

So i thought the machine was basically out on the interwebs now, so there isn't a "location" where they can find it? Wouldn't it be lovely if the machine double crosses Samaritan? :-)

Oh, and i agree that it's great we still have Elias; love that guy. And the actor too.

• Love 2

I also loved that Greer didn't look shocked, upset, or any reaction other than slightly amused. I bet he wishes Root was on his side.

I also loved Martine's eye roll when Root started fighting back on the bed.

I agree with the Machine: Harold is not interchangeable. I hope Michael Emerson stays with the show until the end.

Reese, on the other hand, has the look of a character about to be offed. Serene about life, acknowledging a friendship with Lionel. I'm worried we're going to lose him next week.

• Love 3

Well, holy SHIT.

First: THE MACHINE LOVES ITS HUMANS SO MUCH I CANNOT EVEN. Ugh, I choked up when The Machine cut the power and typed its message out on the screen. It loves its people SO.FREAKING.MUCH. The Machine is more human than half the humans on this show, and that was so incredibly moving. Self-sacrifice always hurts, and when it's an AI? I want Harold to give her a hug and tell her he's proud!!! Also I hope Harold now feels like crap for constantly going on about how The Machine doesn't care about them.

Second, HOLY SHIT SHAW IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR!!!! Traitor? Microchipped or neurally implanted? Pretending to be a traitor? Brainwashed? Amazing how energizing like two seconds of Shaw was. I wonder if that's all we get till next season or if we get to see just a little bit more next episode--either way, I totally knew Shahi would be cameo-ing again before the season was out.

That all said, I wish the showrunners had switched Search and Destroy and Terra Incognita, because I thought this episode was quite good, but needed more of the kind of build-up that 4x19 provided. All the plot threads felt a bit like they came out of nowhere this episode. Like we went from 0 to 60 suddenly. Last year there was much more momentum for the finale.

I'm still processing Harold/Root's half of the story, especially Root's walk of faith, but...damn, y'all. Root's walk of faith! (I know she had wires and all sorts of protective stuff and whatnot, but damn, if I was Amy Acker, I still would've been FREAKING OUT at having to do that.) Root and Harold's concern for The Machine! In the belly of the beast! Harold's face when he caused that inmate brawl!

If this episode wanted me to be super invested in Elias/Dominic, they should NOT have paired it with a "Search for The Machine and Shaw" episode, because there are no words for how much more invested I was in the latter. (Also injecting Harper into the mix...Dominic+Harper is like the kiss of death for me.) Why, why, WHY didn't the show have the Dominic/Elias stuff come to fruition a few episodes ago??? Would'e been much more interesting than what we got. That said, Elias was really rocking the grief beard--I usually don't like beards on men, but for him, I'll make an exception--and I loved how he played Dominic. Feel bad for poor Link! You should've listened to Scarface, dude! They also really hit the Elias/The Machine parallels hard tonight with the whole "I can't win, I've always known I can't win, but I want to save my people" stuff.

I liked that John definitely seems to have learned something from his sojourn in the woods--I like that he finally told Lionel he appreciates him. No way is this newly zen Reese getting offed anytime soon, he has to go live (hopefully NOT with the therapist) before that happens. Also, I cringed at the torture scenes (and also when the dudes in the asylum started up the drill for Root's head). Ick.

When Root offed Martine, I fistpumped, ngl. But I wish it had been in mirror of Martine taking Shaw out in 4x11, Root coldly shooting Martine. This wasn't epic enough for me. Though I did like that what did it for Root was that Martine threatened Harold. I love how Team Machine is pretty much united by its conviction that Harold is a precious lamb.

Also, damn, with everything else, I almost forgot about Control, but she was awesome, as usual. Camryn Manheim just owns the screen when she's on. Also, props to the actress playing the Samaritan agent--the way she turned on a dime from sweet and innocent and terrified to coldly scornful was excellent. The delivery of "You have no idea what's coming for you, bitch" was GREAT.

Wow..Just wow....boy did I love Harold's line about "I didn't dress you as a homeless guy" line...

Omfg, everything about Root and Harold breaking into the asylum was gold. GOLD. "Just tell the truth." "The federal government. The Brotherhood. And an artificial superintelligence, OF COURSE." "It's not paranoid if they're out to get you." "I go by many names and they all are bird names" (paraphrased). Bwah! Also Harold looked surprisingly good as a hobo ("closer to hipster"--I love the disdain the PoI writers have for hipsters!). Just saying, the hat kind of made him look adorable. All the dudes were working it this episode, really--JC's hair really worked for him (was it styled differently? Grown out longer than usual?) and the short hair de-ages KC by like 10 years.

Oh, totally. Don't forget that he tried to recruit her last season!

The next week is going to be very...very...veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrry (tm Harold in 4x11) long.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 7

Enjoyed John's "happy" mood and him finally telling Lionel that he considers him a good friend and detective.

Kiss of death for one of them?

Amazing episode. Amazing series. Love the way they keep all the threads in play and bring them back at the end.

• Love 2
Root snapping Martine's neck was so, so satisfying.

Control is magnificent.  I just love to hate her.

Elias gets over on Dominic yet again,  heh, heh.

It's amazing how the writers can get us cheering so hard for characters who are technically bad guys to win out over other, less appealing, bad guys. As much as I liked Link, Elias' showing Dominic exactly how it feels to be responsible for the death of a friend ("Be careful what you wish for") was beautiful. And I love how the difference between Elias and Dominic reflected The Machine's moral development. To Dominic, his people are a means to an end. Even the ones he likes (Link) are essentially replaceable. Not so for Elias. Heck, Elias won't even sell out a frienemy like Finch. To be fair to Finch, when he held that The Machine saw humans as replaceable, that wasn't so much identifying a flaw as acknowledging that his training of her was successful. He worked hard to convince her that he himself was not special, that her job was to save everybody

• Love 7

What a great episode. Elias is magic.

Next week, come quickly! Even though I'm still worried one of the Team could be killed... Or even still Elias somehow.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

I guess Martine never read the villain handbook, or she would have known that gloating almost never ends well.  I will admit, I may have rewatched that bit more times than would be considered entirely healthy.  For an episode that saw a lot of the protagonists (and protagonist-adjacent characters) suffer some pretty significant defeats, I'm glad they managed to include some triumphant moments.  The little look of satisfaction on Root's face was completely priceless.

I'm a little wary of where the Shaw thing might be headed, just because I pretty much universally dislike brainwashing storylines.  At this point, I'm staying somewhat optimistic, because I don't think of Martine as a particularly reliable narrator, but I will be disappointed if the story really is just that they tortured her until she decided to completely turn on her friends. 

So, I would find it easier to buy Dominic as the guy who could overthrow Elias if, just once, he managed to even remotely out smart him.  To me, he still reads too much like a kid trying to play gangster who thinks Elias can give him the cheat codes for running the city. 

• Love 9

I'm just mumbling to myself "Martine want killin''" when:  Warning... caress... <¡SNAP!>  And I'm like, "Wait, wha...?!??" Took me by surprise, but boy, it felt good!  Not surprised that it happened, just that it happened so fast!

Shaw's presence on-screen was very brief, and rather removed.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that the episode was made without her presence.  Her face-time was so short, and so out-of-scene in it's nature that they could have easily used out-takes from earlier episodes.

In many episodes this season, there have been little unexplained scenes such as the acquisition of the Case of Indestructible Carrying, the job Root took with the compression algorithm company, and now the circuit board in the plaster cast acquired from the "People's Republic".  I am convinced that these will all come together in some clever way in the final episode, to give Team Machine some sort of "win".  Which they sadly need because they've been losing all season.  I've got my own idea as to what will happen...

Surprising how many people I don't like go into making a show I love.  Greer needs to be put down for the same reason you put down a mad dog.  And I'd have said the same about Martine except now I don't have to.  I don't like Elias, because how ever much I like Enrico Colantoni's acting, and however intelligent and charming Elias may be, he's still leader of a bunch of criminals, and they should lock him up and throw away the key.  And Dominic is much the same without the charm, the intelligence, or the acting ability.  Control is an absolutely loathsome creature (made so by the grace of Camryn Manheim's talent) who is to me, more of a scary creature than Greer, because whereas Greer does what he does to bring about some new, loony-tunes society, Control exercises her psychotic, anti-social ways in the name of society as it stands!  And while I am listing people I don't like, I'll mention that self-serving bitch Harper, who I can't stand because aaaarrrggghhhh!!

• Love 5

On PoI, the whole is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

So what do we make of this whole apocalyptic threat? Totally wouldn't surprise me if this season ended much like that of Fight Club....

• Love 1

Damn Elias, I've missed you! I really hope he survives because he's the only reason tha"Brotherhood" plot is tolerable. There's not much else to add other that hasn't been said. Reese being nice to Fusco. Throwing shade at hipsters. Root getting her vengeance. Control calling Team Machine her friends. All so great. The best part though was The Machine revealing herself. Words on a black screen, who would have thought its have so much emotion.

• Love 4

That was so good I had to fast forward from the middle to the end because I couldn't stand the suspense and needed to see how it ended. I'll rewatch later.

• Love 1

zomg amazing episode.  I was getting chills when Root was walking into Sameen's room, even though I 'knew' that Sarah Shahi wasn't going to be back so it wasn't like Root was about to find Shaw just chilling there.  And then Root is captured and Finch captured and Martine calls Shaw Root's Girlfriend and then Martine is neck!snapped and Root is about to get her head cut open and The Machine sacrifices Herself for them and wow!  Absolutely cannot wait for the finale. 

It was interesting to see that brief glimpse of the Samaritan screen when Root first entered Shaw's room.  "Correction.  Duty.  Authority." were the words that were flashing up on the screen - certainly looks like a 'brainwashing' thing to me, especially with the reference to the 'Correction' thing that the woman Control was interrogating kept going on about.

"Compact Persian Sociopath" might just be the best description of Shaw yet haha.

Also, I didn't mind the Elias/Brotherhood stuff mainly because seeing Elias get one up on Dominic as revenge for killing Anthony was kinda satisfying. 

• Love 3
Wouldn't it be lovely if the machine double crosses Samaritan? :-)

I was thinking the same thing. Root and Finch are released, everybody leaves the room, and the Machine goes "Psych!" in that archaic font on the screen. Really, what kind of safeguards did Samaritan have against that?

Also, props to the actress playing the Samaritan agent--the way she turned on a dime from sweet and innocent and terrified to coldly scornful was excellent. The delivery of "You have no idea what's coming for you, bitch" was GREAT.

The acting was good, but I thought the whole scene was a cliche. I didn't find the idea all that impressive, it's been done before and much better. Btw, does that handler even have kids? Her son "just" started second grade? There is melting snow on the ground, it's at least March.

• Love 1

On PoI, the whole is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

So what do we make of this whole apocalyptic threat? Totally wouldn't surprise me if this season ended much like that of Fight Club....

Ah Fight Club, my favorite movie still after 15 years+...

Anyway, that episode was ace, and a perfect launching ramp for the Finale. I didn't think they would manage to cram that much in one ep, but they did, and superbly well

Props to both actresses for all the Control/Soccer-bitch-mom scenes, these scenes were damn intense. Control calling Team Machine her "friends" was great, and I can't wait to see her next move next ep, wonder if she'll manage to get Grice to help in the process.

On the mob war front, Elias is pure class act. I was just so glad he got his revenge for Scarface's death and that he played Dominic on his hubris (AGAIN). and also how loyal he is to Harold and John, trying to get the latter out at first, and then protecting Harold even if he was tortured. Yes, Elias is (and I hope will remain, but...) one of a kind as a criminal.

Glad to see that his own hallucination got through John's thick head, and that he acknowledged Fusco's awesomeness (although I still need John and Harold to discuss their respective Near Death Experiences of last episodes, I miss the deep friendship between those 2). They are in deep shit right now, but with Harper in Thornhill's corner, it is safe to say that at least John will get out of there to lend a much needed hand to Harold and Root while Fusco will handle the gang war

Speaking of, between walking on the ledge of a building and snapping Martine's neck, Root litteraly killed it tonight. Her reactions to Shaw's call her "apparent" treason were fantastic. With the Machine in great Jeopardy next week, I expect her to go ballistic.

And Harold, oh Harold... All the feels when The Machine talked to him to tell him that he (and maybe the rest of Team Machine) is not replaceable... How can a damn fictional Artificial Intelligence give me those feels, seriously? Yep, PoI writers, you managed to make me feel for The Machine, a voiceless/faceless/bodyless/actorless character, and if that ain't masterclass writing, then I don't know what is.

So many parallels in this episode: self-sacrifice (Elias, the Machine), the value of your assets (the difference in which Dominic treated Link and Greer Martine, compared to Elias/John/Fusco not giving up Harold and the Machine protecting her human agents), that was awesome.

Shaw brief come back left several questions up in the air: is she brainwashed, does she play pretend, did she betray Team Machine? I like the fact that John was ready to go get her back with the others (I miss Shoot and the Mayem Twins...)

Now, it doesn't really sound good for next week, but if PoI (well, more Game of Thrones) taught me something, it is that if you thought things were bad, then rethink, because they'll get worse.

• Love 3

What an awesome episode.

This was clearly the setup for next week but, man, what a setup it was. So tense, the episode flew by. It's hard to make an episode with so much exposition feel so damn epic. Well done. Plus, we had the first few casualties. And now we wait. For the rest.

FIrst things first: SHAWWWWW. Goddammit I screeched. I love how all these appearances are kept under wraps. I was hoping we might see Sarah but when they showed that shot of "Shaw" being put in a car I was like "oh well, I guess they just had her say something for the phonecall". But no. Actual Shaw footage. Sigh. Amazing. I don't know what to believe about Shaw. She must have given out some information, but did she maybe have a plan? Or was it just a way to live another day, so she could one day return to us? I don't know. Oh and Martine's "you just missed her" was COLD.

Secondly: the Correction? An attack? A reference to Nathan's death? Control getting called out (in case we had forgotten that she totally let that attack happen)? AMAZING. I wonder what 'the Correction' could be. Also, regarding next week's finale, do I have this right? There's the main plot regarding the Machine's location, with Team Machine taking a last stand, right? So I gather that the story about an A.I. orchestrating a terrorist attack on the whole of society, in an attempt to make the world in its image, will be THE FUCKING B-PLOT? What is this show? Damn.

Speaking of plot lines, it's not common that an episode has more than 2 of them; here we had 3 stories (Root and Finch at the asylum, Elias vs Dominic plus Control) and I was equally interested in all 3. That never happens. It speaks to the strength of this show and its characters, including the recurring cast.

Control, in particular, is amazing. I would absolutely watch a show about her exploits. She is hardcore. Shooting people like it ain't no thing. But she also has layers. I mean, here's a powerful female character who kills a double agent in cold blood and then earnestly says "I'm a mother too" and it still resonates because Camryn Manheim is just so good.

That whole interrogation story was awesome. The other actress really held her own, and the casting was perfect because she totally looked like an unassuming teacher and she managed to mostly not react when the other agent was killed in front of her. But, in the face of evidence, she realised there was no point in lying anymore. Oh and when she turned and called Control a bitch, Camryn Manheim did this awesome little throw-away thing with her face, a subtle "... Really?". Man I love her. She'll be reuniting with Grice next week (whom I love and consider Hersh 2.0) and I am dying to see what she does. I don't think she'll just sit back and watch.

The Dominic/Elias stuff was compelling mostly because of Enrico Colantoni and also because Jim Caviezel and Kevin Chapman did their "we should star in the next Die Hard movie" routine. I mean, Link going all "haha, you got shot, props to the shooter" only for Reese to say "he's dead"? Classic Reese. And I was waiting for Fusco's smart-ass heroic retort and he did not disappoint. "You got a loofah?" was perfect. Man I love Fusco.

I loved the conversation between Elias and Reese. Both for the Carter reference and for the fact the actors themselves seemed to be saying goodbye, sort of. There was a beautiful warmth there. I'm not gonna lie, at that point I thought we'd totally be losing Elias. There was the "just like old times" callback from him earlier on, and he did say this was his last play. So I assumed he'd go out, but he'd take Dominic with him. I am a little surprised that the storyline wasn't resolved tonight, but I am also irrationally pleased that Elias is still alive, you know? Oh and, was Harper there because the Machine told her to, or did the Machine contact her later, to save Fusco? Hm.

On to people who are not still alive, I may or may not have cackled along with Elias when Dominic shot Link (even though I loved Jamie Hector in the role). My favourite thing was that Dominic believed it, he believed he had been betrayed because he believes there is no such thing as loyalty. An amoral character would easily accept that others feel the same way. And Elias always was a few steps ahead of the game. Link was not really to blame about anything, it's all on Dominic, but still; Link's insistence on wiping out the Brotherhood's enemies reminded us he is a killer, no two ways about it. So I can't say I shed a tear. Those guys always have it coming. Scarface knew that too. It is what it is.

And one last thing about Reese: aw, post-near death experience Reese is sweet. Even to Fusco. And he even takes him along on missions now. Awwww (which, of course, never turns out well). Those damn breaks have really messed up the momentum of this season, but the writers do not forget. Every incident, every plot development affects the relationships. I love that. I also loved that, when Reese was talking to Fusco and also when he spoke to Elias, he almost looked out of it. You could see he had been seriously affected by seeing Carter. Sigh.

Lastly, the Root/Finch/Machine/Samaritan/OH MY GOD stuff:

My jaw dropped as soon as the lights went out and it stayed like that. All these human characters, watching a few screens, waiting for the two A.I.s to tell them what to do. Truly, literally awesome.

THE MACHINE LOVES ITS HUMANS SO MUCH I CANNOT EVEN. Ugh, I choked up when The Machine cut the power and typed its message out on the screen. It loves its people SO.FREAKING.MUCH. The Machine is more human than half the humans on this show, and that was so incredibly moving. Self-sacrifice always hurts, and when it's an AI? I want Harold to give her a hug and tell her he's proud!!! Also I hope Harold now feels like crap for constantly going on about how The Machine doesn't care about them.

Exactly. The Machine saying "I will not fail you" (and how human is that? Not "I will not fail". "I will not fail YOU. AGAIN." Wow.). Using the names Harold and Sameen, instead of, like, Admin and Asset X. And, all the while, Root was pleading with her. There was so much emotion. Especially if you compare it to Greer barely blinking when Martine's neck was snapped, or even the way Samaritan "spoke" (which was cold). So many differences between Team Machine and Team Samaritan. I, too, feel that there is love there, that the Machine has some type of "feelings" for our guys. And it's beautiful.

Speaking of Martine, wasn't that kind of a weird way for her to go out? That was a really tense scene, to be sure, but at the end I was like "whaaaaat". That said, I, too, may have rewound that a few times. I did love the reveal that the asylum was Samaritan's HQ. We had been seeing these screens and the interior for so long now and we finally got an exterior and a location. Awesome. It was a trap, after all. I just didn't realise how big of a trap it was.

Root trudging through the snow, telling one of her two loves "I don't care what happens to me" was beautiful. As was her determination to save both the Machine and Shaw (her other love). Aw. Even though the "Shaw?" part was in the promo, it still got to me. Amy Acker is so good. Sigh. Poor Root. Do you think she was bluffing when she was playing chicken with the Machine? She's crazy enough to have meant it, but would she risk everything (including the Machine's survival) for Shaw? I'm not sure. I can't wait for Team Machine to straight-up defend the Machine with their lives. I foresee epicness. Might Harold finally pull a trigger?

Oh and, the whole intro with Root and Finch at the asylum was flawless. Michael Emerson had a blast with it. I always love it when people are honest about the Machine only to receive "WTF" looks.

How about Root saying "he practically lives in the subway".

Ahahahaha that went over my head, actually. Wow. Hilarious.

Lastly, pneumatic tubes? I love this show.

This was one of the better "setup" episodes this show has done. Sometimes the penultimate episode of a season feels like an info dump, but this time it was more like the first part of a two-parter. Great episode and I can't wait for the finale.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 8

The best part of the "compact Persian sociopath" line was how measured about it Harold was trying to be! "This may not mean anything, but there's a compact Persian sociopath listed in this room," because the team knows SO MANY of them! Ha.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Great episode!  They blended together all three storylines so well.

I do love Control taking action and hopefully she will prove to be the ally that Team Machine needs.

Root was great and I can't believe she finished off Martine like that.  It was great though...Martine REALLY had that coming.

Enjoying the war between Elias and the Brotherhood but man, is Dominic stupid.  He trusted Elias twice and was fooled TWICE.

Man, this ep had me laser locked on the tv.  So much going on, but so freakin' well!  I believe they opened with Control nabbing that woman and set things on fire straight away.  I love Control in all forms because whether or not she is on the side of good or evil, she's always awesome.

And Fusco's reaction to Happy John was as delightful a I expected.

Elias getting the best of Dominic is not that big of a deal cause they've failed to make Dominic all that interesting.  Elias deserves a better foe.  But Elias extracting his revenge over Anthony was yummy.

zomg amazing episode.  I was getting chills when Root was walking into Sameen's room, even though I 'knew' that Sarah Shahi wasn't going to be back so it wasn't like Root was about to find Shaw just chilling there.  And then Root is captured and Finch captured and Martine calls Shaw Root's Girlfriend and then Martine is neck!snapped and Root is about to get her head cut open and The Machine sacrifices Herself for them and wow!  Absolutely cannot wait for the finale.

<SNIP>

"Compact Persian Sociopath" might just be the best description of Shaw yet haha.

Amy Acker was pretty unbelievable in the fight scenes, but the Martine necksnap worked for me.  And Root is right - Martine should have stayed blonde.

Compact Persian Sociopath is/was gold.  Did Sarah Shahi's name appear in the opening credits?

• Love 1

I loved Reese and Fusco's scene when Reese tells Fusco he is a good friend, and Fusco is all you feeling okay.  I also loved Reese, Fusco, and Elias unwilling to give up Harold's location.

I wanted Root to fall off the roof.

So the machine loves his Daddy Finch, and the others.

The Samaritan followers are fanatics.

• Love 1

Did Sarah Shahi's name appear in the opening credits?

No.

I'm going to be the odd person out and come down against the 'compact, Persian sociopath' ~joke. IMO It was tortured and unnecessary.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 1

Just a few (several) thoughts -

I am loving the Shaw love.  When her character was introduced as a regular, I swear I could cut through the hate comments.  I've been a fan of Sarah Shahi since LIFE so I felt she would be a good addition on POI.  We will not speak of FAIRLY LEGAL.

I was impressed with the pneumatic mail delivery system under NYC.  Dang....how many things lurk under the streets of NYC?

I was laughing out loud during the whole scene when Finch was brought into the asylum on a stretcher.  No glasses and the look on his face.

I kept looking at the clock to see how much time was left in the hour because I thought I made a mistake and it was the Season finale.  I felt like a wet noodle about 40 minutes into the episode from the tension.

I just saw EX MACHINA at the movie theater so The Machine's comments and feelings for her team hit me hard.

I trust the writers on this show but their task for the Season finale boggles the mind.  Everyone is in peril and the fate of The Machine has me nervous.  My gut tells me Harper is on TM so she could be pivotal next week.  Maybe I'll actually like her but we'll see.  Whatever happens, the Season will have to set up something for the new Season with a new threat because they can't just go back to the weekly numbers formula.  Yep, the writers have a daunting task.

Martine was a coldblooded killer and she reminded me of the T-X in TERMINATOR JUDGMENT DAY but Control is the one that makes my hair stand up straight.  I shudder while feeling thrilled to see her in action..  The fact that she is a mother makes her even more terrifying to me.  She will have to play a major role next week and I bet she lets Finch et al escape.  Hope so.

I don't think I will take kindly to the death of a TM member....or Elias.  That would be too much IMHO

I plan to prep for next week's finale by putting pillows on the floor to help break make my falls.  Sitting on a the edge of my sofa while watching tense scenes can be hazardous for my health and bones LOL.

• Love 3

I was thinking about/rewatching parts of this episode this morning, and I think it finally cemented for me a major part of the reason that I haven't been able to get into the Elias vs Dominic stuff this season: it turns our team into bystanders way too much. Team Machine is the obvious third party and is in fact kind of awkwardly shoehorned in--like John being like "I'M COMING WITH YOU TO FIND SHAW--oh wait, the Brotherhood showed up at JUST the wrong time, drat." I'm not saying John's involvement hasn't altered the outcome of these showdowns, that's obviously not true, but he's ended up being a bit of a bystander--being reactive to what Elias and Dominic do--way too much. Next season, if we absolutely must have an organized crime plotline going, the team needs to be back in the driver's seat, not basically just watching a fight and deciding every once in a while to intervene.

Also this episode had all the other weaknesses of the Brotherhood plot this season: 97% of it is Dominic monologuing and while the actor is doing his best, he just can't make that gripping (how much more charismatic Link was was really obvious last night); and somehow, despite the fact that Dominic is supposed to be nigh all-powerful and super formidable, Elias gets over on him with ludicrous ease. The writers keep saying Dominic is so awesome but they keep showing the exact opposite.

• Love 5

SHAWWWWW. Goddammit I screeched. I love how all these appearances are kept under wraps. I was hoping we might see Sarah but when they showed that shot of "Shaw" being put in a car I was like "oh well, I guess they just had her say something for the phonecall". But no. Actual Shaw footage. Sigh. Amazing.

I'm 99% sure the scene of Shaw reflected in the van mirror was stock footage manipulation. Now if Sarah full on shows up in the finale next week, I will stand corrected.

• Love 1
SHAWWWWW. Goddammit I screeched. I love how all these appearances are kept under wraps. I was hoping we might see Sarah but when they showed that shot of "Shaw" being put in a car I was like "oh well, I guess they just had her say something for the phonecall". But no. Actual Shaw footage. Sigh. Amazing.
I'm 99% sure the scene of Shaw reflected in the van mirror was stock footage manipulation. Now if Sarah full on shows up in the finale next week, I will stand corrected.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was stock footage (it did look more like stock footage, rather than something Sarah filmed before she left, unlike that scene of her in the hospital bed a few episodes back). But I was mostly talking about seeing Shaw again, period. Not just shadows or another brunette in Shaw's place (like in that Root/Reese episode, last time they thought they found Shaw). Originally, with the voice and the distant shot of a brunette, I thought the trap was a total fake-out, that Samaritan had put together/manipulated a fake, recorded message using Shaw's voice and they had a decoy agent 'play' Shaw to humour Root. In that case, Shaw's actual fate would have been a total questionmark and Martine's comments could still be seen as lies, like Root thought.

But we actually saw Shaw, alive, mostly healthy/intact (she was sitting upright in a car), and she wasn't being transported as a prisoner, at least not visibly. She looked like herself, getting away with Samaritan agents, almost like she's one of them. That kind of confirms what Martine said, and it indicates that Shaw is at the very least pretending to be working with Samaritan (if she is not actually brainwashed etc). So that little tidbit was still important, in my opinion. I don't think we'll see Shaw again this season, but this was an interesting tease. When Sarah comes back, we can see exactly what it all meant.

• Love 3
I am loving the Shaw love.  When her character was introduced as a regular, I swear I could cut through the hate comments.

Well, the way she was introduced was pretty awful. At first, they wrote and directed her as a one-note bad ass, yet shoved her down our throats like she was special. I think this kind of introduction pushes feminist buttons (oh, the male characters get to be both tough and interesting, but females not so much -- we're supposed to be content with yet another bad-ass-brunette . . .). But then, over the course of a season or two, she developed into a great character. I was hooked on her when she saved Lionel's son, the way she talked to him on the phone afterwards. And now I very much want her to be reunited with the team.

• Love 3
They also really hit the Elias/The Machine parallels hard tonight with the whole "I can't win, I've always known I can't win, but I want to save my people" stuff.

Yeah, the Brotherhood storyline has left me cold as well, but there were a number of parallels with the AI conflict narrative:

(1) Elias vs. the Brotherhood (the upstart) <---> The Machine vs. Samaritan (the upstart)

(2) Mole ("mole") within the Brotherhood <---> Mole within Samaritan

(3) Satisfying revenge for past wrongs - Elias avenging Anthony, Root avenging Shaw

When Root offed Martine, I fistpumped, ngl. But I wish it had been in mirror of Martine taking Shaw out in 4x11, Root coldly shooting Martine. This wasn't epic enough for me.

I liked the, uh, personal touch of Root snapping Martine's neck with her bare hands.  Also, together with their fistfight in 4X19, I guess we should remember Root used to be a professional assassin, so she doesn't need to be in God mode to kill effectively.

Edited by wevel
  • Love 3

One of the few/only shows I want to applaud after many of the episodes.  How this has not even been nominated for a writing emmy, I'll never know.  (I think sound-mixing is the only emmy received.)

Too many good parts of this episode to mention them all ... so I'll just say well done!

• Love 6