Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E15: European Honeymoon

Wow that's some high numbers.  I liked the episode, but then I love Paris.  What the heck did they do in Rome with all the Catholics.  There isn't anything to see that doesn't have Catholic symbolism.  Ok, some things, but you have to pass so many madonnas to get to them.  I don't recall the water taxies being so expensive, and I'm sure it would have occurred to me because I'm cheap that way.

Vaporettos =cheap. water taxi's not so much 

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

12 Euro to get on and then 1 euro 80 per minute. It was 60 from Santa Lucia  2 stops to San Stai 

Edited by JennyMominFL

I'm currently watching this episode and I came here to say that watching them kiss in the middle of pigeons was gross. Maybe it's cause I live in NYC and we avoid pigeons at all costs, but I could never!

• Love 3

The "Bible Time" gathering was ridiculous. They did one of these when Jill and Derick announced her pregnancy, too. I'm sure that they do read the Bible -- or probably Gothard Bible Story pamphlets -- but there was nothing about that gathering that suggests that they ever have "Bible Time" as a family. The furniture was arranged in a way we've never seen it, and no one looked relaxed or comfortable like they were doing something that they do every day.

I'm sure that the gathering was staged for the show, but it looked to me like none of those kids had ever heard of "Bible Time" before. I really don't think that they ever do anything together as a family which makes me wonder how they impart their religious theories and social rules to their kids without ever interacting with them -- is that a sister-mom job, too.

• Love 3

Maybe part of the reason that the ratings were so high is that Ben and Jessa went to Europe. I was pretty curious about the sights, having never been there myself. If it were a honeymoon special of Ben and Jessa go to Myrtle Beach, the ratings might have been lower.

I also noticed Michelle and her semi-crazy behavior at the thrift store. If she continues acting out like this, the producers are going to have to feature her less and less. It's becoming more obvious that there is something not quite right about her. 

• Love 6

Wow that's some high numbers.  I liked the episode, but then I love Paris.  What the heck did they do in Rome with all the Catholics.  There isn't anything to see that doesn't have Catholic symbolism.  Ok, some things, but you have to pass so many madonnas to get to them.  I don't recall the water taxies being so expensive, and I'm sure it would have occurred to me because I'm cheap that way.

Wonder what Binjerman thought when he saw the Pieta? Probably: "Golly gee they DO worship Mary."

• Love 3

Most people ease into adult life in stages. Josh went from being a coddled boy with few chores who was half-heartedly homeschooled to being a married man with a real job and 3 kids in what? 5 years? That's a lot to take on at once. And they're living out of state, so they have no help from family. Which means Josh probably actually has to help parent his children. He's not used to having to do anything, so it must be exhausting.

It seems like Jana or Jinger are often in DC helping out, so they have help from family.

• Love 1
I'm just glad they finally saw some beautiful churches, without theater seating/lighting and "stages."

Yes, please - more of this. Please. Relatively calm, respectful Duggar spawn who aren't trashing the local sites, behaving like Ugly Americans, or trotting out the good ole' nugget "And THESE are my nineteen kids, and I done birthed 'em all !"

If JB had been there he'd have been asking where the hunchback lived. 

• Love 3

Did I hear correctly when Ben and Jessa were in the Italian thrift shop and after Ben tried on a hat (???) Jessa said 'Winning. Winning!' The only time I've really heard that expression was from Charlie Sheen a few years back. Why do they know it, or is it just a common phrase that I don't ever hear? Or is their tv turned on (oh the horror) when the cameras are gone?

• Love 3

Michelle comes off like a hoarder in the thrift store. Oy vey.

Jessa brags about how couples push each other into trying new experiences, yet she won't try the escargot, but she'll push Ben out on the glass floor of the Eiffel Tower. I am afraid of heights too, yet I'll hike and I've zip lined once, but if someone pushes me out on a glass floor like she did with Ben, I'll cut a bitch. That's not cool.

Paris is my favorite place on earth. I've been there 4 times. I love French everything, including the food. Frog's legs? YUM! You still aren't getting me to try escargot, though. Sorry, not going there. So I'm giving Jess a pass here. Sometimes things just don't appeal to you, no matter how adventurous you are. Granted, Jess' palate is more limited- no TT casserole in Paris. But hey- at least these two seemed to not act like the typical idiot Americans I find my self apologizing for when I go there, lol.

• Love 3

By far the most interesting event of the episode was Michelle's sarcastic "very good job" when one of the boys dropped the mantel onto the picture frames and broke one. It was a glimpse into her real self rather than the sweet, soft-voiced, loving-mother persona she likes to project.

Also interesting was her inability to focus on anyone but herself while shopping for Ben and Jessa. Typical narcissist.

• Love 5

The "Bible Time" gathering was ridiculous. They did one of these when Jill and Derick announced her pregnancy, too. I'm sure that they do read the Bible -- or probably Gothard Bible Story pamphlets -- but there was nothing about that gathering that suggests that they ever have "Bible Time" as a family. The furniture was arranged in a way we've never seen it, and no one looked relaxed or comfortable like they were doing something that they do every day.

I'm sure that the gathering was staged for the show, but it looked to me like none of those kids had ever heard of "Bible Time" before. I really don't think that they ever do anything together as a family which makes me wonder how they impart their religious theories and social rules to their kids without ever interacting with them -- is that a sister-mom job, too.

Yea, I hate the fakey pregnancy announcements. "Oh, let's just reminisce about how many kids & grandkids we have while on camera". Like they didn't all know about the pregnancy already. Isn't lying frowned upon in any religion? Or do they consider themselves actors?

• Love 2

When they were in the thrift store I was thinking "I hope they don't buy too much because Jessa's just going to chuck it in the trash when she gets home."

I'm surprised no one's made an effort to spruce up the outside of the home though. It still has the same bland paint color, patchwork lawn and no landscaping.

• Love 1

Michelle acting giddy in the thrift shop - omg. She looked like a crazy old lady on the lam from a nursing home. Completing the picture were the weird clunky black shoes, shaped like Dutch wooden clogs. The expression on her face was so over the top for thrift store shopping. I mean she was looking at freaking scratched up picture frames, then her eyes got all crazy and she ran up and down the aisles like a three year old.

Perhaps it was the Parisian theme, but she made me think of Quasimoto running around the bell tower.

• Love 6

I will say this - I came away from the honeymoon special thinking that Ben and Jessa really are in love. They look very comfortable with one another. I thought the lock scene was quite cute.

I thought it was great that they tried to take in the sites in Europe and that Ben tried to learn a few phrases. I hate when people go to another country and make no effort to learn basic phrases. I just find it disrespectful.

• Love 9

Yea, I hate the fakey pregnancy announcements. "Oh, let's just reminisce about how many kids & grandkids we have while on camera". Like they didn't all know about the pregnancy already. Isn't lying frowned upon in any religion? Or do they consider themselves actors?

Ministers. They're ministers. (Nods solemnly.)

I also noticed Michelle and her semi-crazy behavior at the thrift store. If she continues acting out like this, the producers are going to have to feature her less and less. It's becoming more obvious that there is something not quite right about her.

Or feature her more and more -- at least it would be some new material.

• Love 3

I didn't get the crazy vibe from Michelle in the thrift shop.  I got the impression that maybe she doesn't get to do something like that very often, and considering that she was there with the older girls, maybe she thought of it as more of a "girlfriend" type of outing.  It could have been one of those things where she was looking for items for Jessa's house, but became more and more excited when she found stuff for herself and her own home.

• Love 2

Paris is my favorite place on earth. I've been there 4 times. I love French everything, including the food. Frog's legs? YUM! You still aren't getting me to try escargot, though. Sorry, not going there. So I'm giving Jess a pass here. Sometimes things just don't appeal to you, no matter how adventurous you are. Granted, Jess' palate is more limited- no TT casserole in Paris. But hey- at least these two seemed to not act like the typical idiot Americans I find my self apologizing for when I go there, lol.

Escargot is so good. It tastes sort of like clams but with a ton of garlic and butter. Now what did shock me in Venice was the amount of horse meat sold and eaten, even on pizza. I can see why escargot is scary. I didn't try it until I was 40. I probably wouldn't have if I were 22 like Jessa.

In Rome there were tours that showed Catholic and Roman sites, but then their were tours of just Christian sights or just Ancient Roman ones. We stuck mostly to Roman ones.  It was almost like there are 2 different Romes

Edited by JennyMominFL

What is up with Anna matching shirts with everyone? In the scene where she announced her pregnancy, she and Joy were wearing the same shirt. Then they flashed back to a scene from when Anna and MEchelle were both pregnant and guess what -- matching shirts. And I can never forget what she and her mom had on when Josh proposed -- surprise! Matching shirts! That's three different shirts and three different people she's been 'twinning.' I'm baffled by this. Anyone have an explanation? A guess?

• Love 3

I really hope Bin and Jessa went to The Vatican. If they missed out on The Sistine Chapel, etc because they are not Catholic then they are bigger fools than I ever thought.

It looked like they were out in St. Peter's square at one point, so hopefully they were able to take a Vatican tour.  They probably weren't allowed to film inside though.  I know that still pix aren't even allowed in the Sistine Chapel.

• Love 1

Vaporettos =cheap. water taxi's not so much 

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

12 Euro to get on and then 1 euro 80 per minute. It was 60 from Santa Lucia  2 stops to San Stai 

The vaporettos are pretty expensive too compared to other transport in Europe.  We spent a ton of $$ in Venice on transportation.  They do have gondolas that cross the canal pretty inexpensively though.  In general, I thought Venice was way more expensive than any other place we've been to in Europe.

• Love 1

What is up with Anna matching shirts with everyone? In the scene where she announced her pregnancy, she and Joy were wearing the same shirt. Then they flashed back to a scene from when Anna and MEchelle were both pregnant and guess what -- matching shirts. And I can never forget what she and her mom had on when Josh proposed -- surprise! Matching shirts! That's three different shirts and three different people she's been 'twinning.' I'm baffled by this. Anyone have an explanation? A guess?

I hadn't notice that but I wonder if Anna is dressing from the communal closet. Maybe she doesn't pack much when they come so she just picks stuff out of there. I don't know for sure but I can imagine the community closet having several of the same thing if they found it on a good sale or something. 

• Love 1

After one of their kisses on the gondola Jessa was giving Ben some serious 'fuck me' eyes.

(I'll show myself out... :)

No I totally noticed that too! I was like, "whoa if it weren't so rickety, she'd do him right there!"

• Love 2

Other than junior high "steady" shirts, I've only run into people wearing matching shirts when on teams together, or working on projects together. For example, when an office or company works on a Habitat for Humanity project. Maybe Anna has a need to feel part of some kind of team? Oh, we did get family reunion tee shirts one year in our family...

• Love 3

By far the most interesting event of the episode was Michelle's sarcastic "very good job" when one of the boys dropped the mantel onto the picture frames and broke one.

Seriously? I missed that. That was really her response? What an insufferable bitch.

• Love 2

I will say this - I came away from the honeymoon special thinking that Ben and Jessa really are in love. They look very comfortable with one another. I thought the lock scene was quite cute.

I thought it was great that they tried to take in the sites in Europe and that Ben tried to learn a few phrases. I hate when people go to another country and make no effort to learn basic phrases. I just find it disrespectful.

I came away from the honeymoon episode thinking what an amazing trip-of-a-lifetime to be wasted on a couple of 'world-less youngsters' who could never really appreciate an historic trip like one to Paris, Rome and Venice. It struck me when they arrived in Rome. Ben said he had been looking forward to seeing Rome 'oh because of all the history and stuff'. I instinctively rolled my eyeballs and wondered how much 'edumuhkashun' Ben has had about the history of Rome or anywhere in Europe for that matter. I can equate a European tour by Jessa and Ben to serving a 3 year old child a gourmet dinner prepared at Pierre Gagnaire's in Paris and expecting him to appreciate it for what it was.

These young, naive women are in for some life's awakenings as they grow up. Unfortunately for them, they're committed to live out their tour of duty as white slaves to their husbands and children.

• Love 8

The love lock is such a controversial topic in Paris. The weight of the locks literally destroy the bridges because of the weight and corrosion. You would think Ben would've seen the NoLoveLocks website during his search for that particular "tradition" (that isn't ancient (started in 2008), Parisian, or even lawful (it's considered to be an act of vandalism). Leave it to this show to promote a ridiculous and damaging "custom" that is completely devoid of cultural respect.

• Love 12

Yes, I agree, wanderwoman. I rolled my eyes when they said they could come back and see their lock in a few years.  The locks are damaging the Pont des Arts bridge.  The French are having to cut off the bridge gates with locks on them to prevent them from falling into the river due to the excess weight. So sad that only a few years can cause a 19th-century national monument such damage! Also, throwing the key into the river is littering.

The person who dropped the wood beam was Josiah. I groaned and thought another check mark against poor Josiah.  In Josiah's defense, Jackson was in the way (though trying to help) and it is dangerous to have random objects on the floor during a renovation. It seemed staged, though Michelle's jerky response was very real.

I can see why the two Duggar boys might think that they would get housing after marriage. The previous three marriages had such arrangements, though Jill and Jessa more than earned their housing.  The Duggars talk a big game about economic independence and yet their older children are economically dependent on.  I think that Jill and Derek could be independent, though struggling, but Jessa and Ben would need the support.  

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 1

Maybe Boob giving Jill the McMansion and Jessa the renovated starter home was his way of paying them back for all the years they covered for Michelle's laziness. Jill did exponentially more work than Jessa, hence the cushier house. All Josh got was a fresh coat of paint, no granite or stainless steel lol.

• Love 1

At the time, the renovations were not completed on their house and they were living in a hotel.  Thus, they had no washer/dryer of their own at that point.  Pretty sure they have a washer/dryer now.

Most hotels I've stayed at have washers and dryers that you can use (self-pay, of course!).  I also noticed they seemed to have a deluxe room, with a seperate whirlpool bath in the main room.  I'm sure Jessa liked having time to herself, soaking in that tub, with no buddies to take care of. 

The love lock is such a controversial topic in Paris. The weight of the locks literally destroy the bridges because of the weight and corrosion. You would think Ben would've seen the NoLoveLocks website during his search for that particular "tradition" (that isn't ancient (started in 2008), Parisian, or even lawful (it's considered to be an act of vandalism). Leave it to this show to promote a ridiculous and damaging "custom" that is completely devoid of cultural respect.

I've seen this same thing done on a couple other shows when they've travelled to Paris. I can see the appeal. I hadn't heard that it was destroying the bridges, but it makes sense that it would. I wonder why city officials haven't banned it? I decided to look it up and they said for now they aren't making it illegal or ticketing people, although they are making the vendors who sold locks nearby move on. That's stupid, if the bridges are being destroyed, then make it illegal. That's European tolerance, I guess.

• Love 2
That's stupid, if the bridges are being destroyed, then make it illegal. That's European tolerance, I guess.

Or maybe European hope/assumption that people actually have some common sense and will stop if informed of the damage. ;)  A bit OT, but a relative of mine lived in the US for a year and he said he'd never felt more "told off" about things than during that year. He felt that no matter where he went or what he did, see or eat, there was always some sign or poster or disclaimer to tell him don't go there, don't trespass here, don't do that, don't do this, don't eat this thing (usually something entirely inedible), keep off here, this is off limits, don't do this incredibly stupid thing that no one in their right mind would do anyway etc etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a lot of those locks are put there by Americans (as a European I'd never heard of this custom until I read about the destruction of the bridge in the paper) and that maybe these Americans assume it's ok because there isn't a big sign telling them that it's not. Whereas the Parisians kind of assume that people should figure this out on their own or at least look to inform themselves before they put a lock on a famous landmark, so why do something as extreme as making it illegal? Especially since it's a pretty new phenomenon and they probably don't want to offend or scare away tourists.

• Love 2

By far the most interesting event of the episode was Michelle's sarcastic "very good job" when one of the boys dropped the mantel onto the picture frames and broke one. It was a glimpse into her real self rather than the sweet, soft-voiced, loving-mother persona she likes to project.

I actually cheered when that happened....one less framed Duggar photo on the wall of a Duggar home. All their decor is either photos of themselves or inspirational quotes. Is there ever anything else?  And what is the bit (It may be a new trend. I don't honestly know.) of framing up a gigantic wedding-day picture of the homeowners themselves, and having many more around the house. Are walls the new Facebook? Don't they live there and can't they look at each other in person every single day? That's what wedding ALBUMS are for. geez.

Mullet looked pretty happy in that store and I can relate. That thrift shop looked awesome.

Don't get me started on those stupid locks. The bridge is going to fall in and/or be destroyed and the keys are ruining/polluting/filling the river.  I hope they pry them all off and melt down the metal and build a statue of Narcissus.

• Love 7

Michelle's true personality and behavior towards the kids certainly showed when she said "great job" sarcastically to whichever of the older boys dropped the beam. Wouldn't a normal mom freak out for a second and want to make sure that a heavy beam didn't fall on someone's hand or foot?! Looked like she was more concerned about the $1 frame from the thrift store that got broken.

I didn't get the "ugly American" vibe from Jessa and Ben on their honeymoon -- as we usually get from JB when he goes around saying Holla no matter what country he's in. Though I guess that varies person to person -- I mean when Jill was in Nepal, she was trying the local food and telling JB not to smell it before he put it in his mouth. I thought it was funny when the escargot came and it was clear that Jessa wasn't going to eat any; they both looked like -- we don't want to be rude, these are on the house. I noticed that when they were still talking about the escargot and the host/waiter was walking back over to them -- she turns to Ben and goes -- "hurry he's coming" -- urging him to try it so that it wouldn't look like they were being totally rude.

• Love 8

To be fair, my husband and I had an 8 1/2 x 11 framed portrait on the TV console (remember those? so 90's) for maybe the first 3-4 years of our marriage, maybe as long as 5 years. That said, I finally said, eh, enough's enough, and put it away. However, they have crap EVERYWHERE, including that collage "S" that came from one of their wedding photogs as a Christmas present that hangs in their bedroom. 

Lots of narciissism to go around here. Jessa and Jill's houses, the bridge in Paris...even Duggar Central. Some actual ART would be welcome, geez, even a lame print from the Painter of Light guy. *something!*

*sigh*

• Love 4

Leave it to this show to promote a ridiculous and damaging "custom" that is completely devoid of cultural respect.

Thank you! I was quite annoyed by this, as well.  Seems Duggar-esque, though. "Let's go to a weird place and destroy part of it and make it all about us!" 

• Love 3

Maybe if the Duggers used real plates, cups, and eating utensils instead of paper plates, paper cups, paper soup bowls, plastic forks, knives and spoons, they could save a little more money to put towards buying some never-worn clothes once in a while. They certainly have enough kids to rotate the dish washing duties.

• Love 2

Don't get me started on those stupid locks. The bridge is going to fall in and/or be destroyed and the keys are ruining/polluting/filling the river.  I hope they pry them all off and melt down the metal and build a statue of Narcissus.

It's been on the news about how unstable the bridges in Paris are due to the romantic gestures of lovers putting a lock on the 'love bridge' and throwing away the key. Not only that, but the lock Ben 'made hisself' could probably double as a boat anchor in Arkansas.It was HUGE.

Jessa-Ben-Seewald.jpg

But should we expect Ben to be aware of anything on the planet outside of his microcosm in Arkansas? Ben reminded me of Clark Griswald in National Lampoon's 'Vacation' when they reached the Grand Canyon. I imagined a similar emotion from Ben while inside the Eiffel Tower, all he wanted was to get back to the hotel room for some front hugging with Jessa. "yup, yup let's go"

https://youtu.be/_5MPb7z0LZ4

• Love 5