Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Speculation Thread: Next To Get An Ass Whooping? New Foes? Discuss!

One thing I would like to see for season 2 is to try to make it look a bit more like part of the MCU. From the technology point of view it seems weird to me that Howard Stark basically invented the flying car in 1943 but in Daredevil it is 2015 and yet their world looks pretty much exactly like ours. I don't want Foggy in a flying car or anything but it should at least look a bit better.

I see what you're saying and that is probably a fair point, especially since this does carry the Marvel name and will soon feature more from its universe.

That said, I do think Netflix, when starting this, also wanted to try to straddle the line between the viewers devoted to the comics while being accessible enough to potential viewers and not overwhelm them all at once, thus also couching it as a "regular" action drama and having people unfamiliar with the comics become invested through the backgrounds of the characters with the story as a backdrop.

Still, with S1 done and a success, I could see those in charge feeling that now the series can be more in line with the rest of the Marvel universe and proceed with that thought. Although it will be interesting to see just how the new show runners handle S2 and the introduction of the other characters coming aboard.

I really hope they do great by Elektra she's by far one of my all time favorite comic book characters so that's what I look forward to the most.

I did like the writing for the female characters in the first season so I have hope.

I see what you're saying and that is probably a fair point, especially since this does carry the Marvel name and will soon feature more from its universe.

That said, I do think Netflix, when starting this, also wanted to try to straddle the line between the viewers devoted to the comics while being accessible enough to potential viewers and not overwhelm them all at once, thus also couching it as a "regular" action drama and having people unfamiliar with the comics become invested through the backgrounds of the characters with the story as a backdrop.

Still, with S1 done and a success, I could see those in charge feeling that now the series can be more in line with the rest of the Marvel universe and proceed with that thought. Although it will be interesting to see just how the new show runners handle S2 and the introduction of the other characters coming aboard.

I agree it is a tough one. I don't expect Matt Murdoch to have his own version of JARVIS.  But at the same time things should look a little more high tech than what I have in my house.

I agree it is a tough one. I don't expect Matt Murdoch to have his own version of JARVIS.  But at the same time things should look a little more high tech than what I have in my house.

I dunno. Just because the technology exists doesn't mean that a street lawyer from Hell's Kitchen can afford it. I'm fine with the show's level of tech being pretty much where it is now. Maybe a new crimefighting gadget or two, but nothing too extravagant.
  • Love 2

I dunno. Just because the technology exists doesn't mean that a street lawyer from Hell's Kitchen can afford it. I'm fine with the show's level of tech being pretty much where it is now. Maybe a new crimefighting gadget or two, but nothing too extravagant.

That's sort of where I am having kind of an issue. I don't really want to see daredevil having crazy/impossible crime fighting gadgets. But as I said above this is a world where the flying car was invented over 70 years ago. Sure a lot of the crazy tech that Tony Stark has, most people could never hope to afford, but with society being that much more advanced than ours some of it should have worked its way down to the general public. Even if it was just little stuff like Karen having a phone that is obviously way better than the latest iphone or something like that or the desktop computers at Nelson and Murdock being more advanced. 

That's sort of where I am having kind of an issue. I don't really want to see daredevil having crazy/impossible crime fighting gadgets. But as I said above this is a world where the flying car was invented over 70 years ago. Sure a lot of the crazy tech that Tony Stark has, most people could never hope to afford, but with society being that much more advanced than ours some of it should have worked its way down to the general public. Even if it was just little stuff like Karen having a phone that is obviously way better than the latest iphone or something like that or the desktop computers at Nelson and Murdock being more advanced. 

But those type of things take money, and as of now Matt and Foggy are lawyers just out of school trying to keep their new firm open.  The characters in the MCU who have those gadgets are connected to S.H.I.E.L.D and/or Tony Stark in some fashion, whereas Matt and co. are essentially vigilantes making do with what they have.  The closest they have to any type of tech genius is Melvin(?) who just fashioned Matt's new suit.  I get what you're saying, and maybe over the next couple of seasons they can make connections that will allow them some modest upgrades that don't undercut the grittier tone of the series.

• Love 2

But those type of things take money, and as of now Matt and Foggy are lawyers just out of school trying to keep their new firm open.  The characters in the MCU who have those gadgets are connected to S.H.I.E.L.D and/or Tony Stark in some fashion, whereas Matt and co. are essentially vigilantes making do with what they have.  The closest they have to any type of tech genius is Melvin(?) who just fashioned Matt's new suit.  I get what you're saying, and maybe over the next couple of seasons they can make connections that will allow them some modest upgrades that don't undercut the grittier tone of the series.

Of course I wouldn't expect Nelson and Murdoch to have their own version of Jarvis. But at the same time I think there would be some kind of trickle down effect for technology. I mean in our world we don't have anything close to helicarriers or arc reactors or flying cars, and yet look at the technology people use in their day to day lives. It seems weird that those things, were developed in the MCU and none of the technology that was part of those developments worked its way down to become beneficial to everyday people.

Look at it another way. If you consider the Apollo Program, only 12 astronauts went to the moon. But because of technology developed for the Apollo program you can buy cordless tools at any hardware store. Shouldn't there be an equivalent for the helicarrier?

Perhaps, but at this stage in the game, there would be too high of a price point for the average storefront defence attorney to be able to afford. When new technology hits the market, it's usually pretty expensive at first, and the price falls after a while.

Take personal computers, for instance. Sure, they're pretty much ubiquitous these days, but just over 30 years ago when they were introduced, they cost upwards of $2,500. (And that's in 1985 dollars, too. Taking into account inflation, that's roughly $10,000 for a glorified word processor with less memory than your average thumb drive today.)

• Love 1

I get what you are saying, but at the same time (and i use these numbers for reference) if a quinjet is 10x better than the best military plane we have, shouldn't planes in general be 10x better? If Jarvis is 10x better than our most advanced comouters, shouldn't MCU personal computers also be 10x more advanced?

And this isn't all new tech. Stark invented the flying car in the 40's. I don't expect people to ever have those but i can probably thing of a dozen other uses for that technology that would change the world. As far as comouters we know that Tony has had Jarvis sine at least 2008. How good would something like Siri be in that case?

Daredevil is the closest thing to seeing what the MCU is like for real people. But in some respects it doesn't feel like it. As i mentioned in some of the episode threads, when they show shots of the city you don't even see Stark tower.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Here are my hopes for season two.

1. I really, really, really hope the show does not pair Matt and Karen up romantically. I want to see them become better friends. I want Karen to know Matt is Daredevil, because I think she would understand and be supportive. I want her to open up to him about killing Wesley. He knows SOMETHING is off about Karen, but he hasn't pushed it that much so far. But I think the discussions those two would have would be interesting. But I would likely throw something at my TV in anger if those two became lovers, because I see zero romantic chemistry between those two. 

2. Having just seen Jessica Jones and loved it, I really want to see more crossover between the two series. Something maybe like Jessica does occasional PI work for them. Or some of their law cases cross paths with Jeri Hogarth in some form or fashion. And honestly, I would love to see Matt and Jessica as good friends and sparring partners. She has superpower strength, but not a lot of fighting skill. Matt has a ton of fighting skill, but not the superhero strength. So it would be interesting to see their two talents mix in training. 

3. I hope to see more moral internal conflict within Matt about his vigilante activities.

4. Not being familiar with the comics, I can only hope that whichever villain(s) they introduce, it maintains a level of realism, like Fisk. He didn't feel like a Loki or an Ultron, but rather an actual person, with plausible goals. 

5. But having said that (and at the risk of contradicting myself), I am interested to see more of the Black Sky/Stick/seemingly Eastern mystical side fleshed out more. It doesn't even need to be the main story, but I was very intrigued with the stuff they did show, so I am very curious to see where all of it is heading. 

• Love 3

Having just finished binge season 1, I'm really looking forward to season 2. I'm hoping that they don't keep Karen and Matt's secret from each other to long. At this point neither has a reason to lie about it. I am also hoping for more of them (all three of them) working on cases and being friends. No love triangles or anything.

There are lots of bits and pieces that they can build on that were in S1, plus things from Jessica Jones, plus stuff from the comics.

For instance:

A lot of it has already been mentioned -- Bullseye, Punisher, Elektra, the Hand, Gladiator.

One of my favorite parts of the show was Owlsley Sr. I loved that as his co-conspirators have all these grandiose schemes he was just down to earth and wanting to make money.I hope we find Owlsley Jr. emerge and perhaps even assume his comic book persona.

One of DD's traditional villains is Mr. Hyde, who has already been established in the MCU in Agents of SHIELD. Although when last we saw the character he was brainwashed into thinking he was just a vet, I wouldn't mind if he showed up again. Good ol' Crazy Cal was one of the best things about AoS.

Jessica Jones also featured a character who debuted during a classic DD storyline, "Born Again." I think it's probably too soon for the show to take on that storyline, but maybe there is room for Simpson to show up in DD.

Here's an article on EW where the showrunners go over what will remain the same, and what will be new in Season 2.

Daredevil season 2 will have more sex as well. While the first season was relatively chaste, season 2 will get steamier as Matt gets closer to Karen (Deborah Ann Woll) and then his old college girlfriend resurfaces. You know, Elektra (Elodie Yung), which introduces another antihero into the mix, one that’s very different from the Jennifer Garner big screen version.

I'm not thrilled by this. Honestly, the restraint shown last season in this aspect, both in avoiding any real love triangle and no gratuitous sex scenes, was really refreshing.  

I'd advise avoiding the comment section.

ETA a photo of Elektra.

Edited by Rina99

Yeah, assuming the show runners aren't bullshitting, as some do, I'm not thrilled about Matt/Karen. Probably because A) I thought Matt had the better chemistry with Rosario Dawson's Claire, B) I was hoping to not have any relationship overpower the hero/villain stuff, and C) I'm just not all that fond of Karen, to be honest.

I knew there would be changes with new show runners, but Steven DeKnight made an almost flawless production.

If it ain't broke, why the hell go and tinker with it?

Let's hope we're not looking at True Detective Syndrome.

• Love 4

I really hope that they don't change to much. Season 1 was almost perfect to me. And I also don't really like Karen with Matt. I feel like they barely had any scenes together. Maybe it'll change in season 2.

• Love 1

I honestly don't get the pissing contest. See the movie then come home and watch Daredevil. Issue solved.

Every business loves to make mountains out of molehills.

Yeah, really. And anyone who's *Super* excited about the movie will probably be in line on Thursday the 24th and see the midnight showing, freeing up the weekend for 10 Daredevil episodes.

I really hope that they don't change to much. Season 1 was almost perfect to me. And I also don't really like Karen with Matt. I feel like they barely had any scenes together. Maybe it'll change in season 2.

Not to be argumentative but if S1 was perfect and no change is required, where will the evolution come from? I thought there was so much chemistry between Matt and Karen, with deliberately few scenes between them, that I want to see explored. And that means seeing this Matt we've heard so much about, ie. not chaste. And the sex scenes will open up a new dynamic, especially Matt disappearing at night and coming back with bruises. And Claire and Elektra showing up. Romantic tension is not always a bad thing.

Edited by Boundary

Not to be argumentative but if S1 was perfect and no change is required, where will the evolution come from? I thought there was so much chemistry between Matt and Karen, with deliberately few scenes between them, that I want to see explored. And that means seeing this Matt we've heard so much about, ie. not chastel. And the sex scenes will open up a new dynamic, especially Matt disappearing at night and coming back with bruises. And Claire and Elektra showing up. Romantic tension is not always a bad thing.

No, it's not...if people feel the tension to begin with. Some liked Matt/Karen, but others don't. (There was a Matt/Claire faction out there, too.) And some may be turned off by that altogether and just want to watch the good guys triumph over the bad guys.

I think character development in S1 was fine by way of the back stories and subtle inferences. This seems more "in your face" to me. But hey, it could all be premature worrying over nothing and everything will be as good, if not better, than the debut season.

I hope so.

• Love 3

I'll admit something as well, I thought Matt and Claire's chemistry was off the charts, poor Karen had no chance when Claire was around. But Matt didn't know about her sleuthing at the time, and still doesn't know her mysterious history, both which might make her more attractive to him I suppose. Perhaps. But I also like that Claire seems to have her own trajectory across multiple series. A spark between her and Luke Cage, what would that do to Jessica? It would be sensible then not to drop Matt into that mess.

I don't really care about Claire/Matt or Claire/Luke, don't mind Matt/Karen, but the characters whom I want to see the most are Punisher and Elektra, TBH. They sound very intriguing.

A spark between her and Luke Cage, what would that do to Jessica?

Find somebody more interesting. (And no, I don't mean Trish, they are sisters to me). Luke was pretty forgettable on JJ. 

Here's a simple shallow hope: That the same theme tune is kept for S2. I really loved it. Although with likely no Fisk this season, some of the visuals may have to be changed, but that's small potatoes. Change the visuals, keep the song! (I even have it as my ring tone.)

• Love 3

Wow Daredevil season 2 and Pee-Wee's Big Holiday being released on netflix on March 18. That is like the most awesome birthday present for me ever. 

I don't really care about Claire/Matt or Claire/Luke, don't mind Matt/Karen, but the characters whom I want to see the most are Punisher and Elektra, TBH. They sound very intriguing.

I am cautiously optimistic about The Punisher. I am hoping that the writers can do well, since season 1 of daredevil was awesome. At the same time I have always found The Punisher super one note and kind of boring. 

Also with the coming of the Punisher I wonder how they will really look at Matt's "I don't kill" policy. I wonder if he will try to take any kind of moral high ground. I mean I know this is a comic book show but I am thinking that yes, shooting people and killing them is bad. But at the same time Matt is beating on them pretty brutally about the head. And I am just thinking that with what science knows about brain injuries, a beating from Daredevil could be permanently debilitating. And not only that but the other injuries he dishes out could potentially be the kind of things that don't get better.