Type keyword(s) to search

Dark Matter In The Media: All The Matter That's Fit To Post

4 hours ago, FurryFury said:

By the way, what's Blood Drive? Is it any good? 

Blooddrive is awesome but it is epitome of violent tv.  If you are easily triggered (another word I hate) by sex and violence I wouldn't watch.  If you know what grindhoundhouse is.   Basically the last honest cop in a desolate America/world gets tricked into a underground cross county race where the cars run on human blood.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

This is just shit news. DM really came into its own this season, it has been SO good and now, it's all over (and probably with a freekin cliff hanger). I like Killjoys a lot (but not as much) and I LOATHE Wynonna Earp (which is kind of odd considering how deeply I fell in love with Lost Girl) and Blood Drive is not anything I would ever watch plus I tried with the Expanse, I really did but it just didnt work for me. Man SYFY, just when I start to trust it again, it pulls a Farscape on me.

• Love 6

To be blunt, honest, and NOT use an initialism, What The Fuck??? I like "Killjoys", but I love "Dark Matters" AND "Wynonna Earp". I don't watch "Blood Drive" nor "Z Nation", nor any of the other crap Syfy puts on. Syfy chooses to extend "Killjoys", in all of its confusing mythology, for another 2 years but cancels DM now????  ??

• Love 7
5 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Violent rape is my only trigger. 

I'm not sure then.  The Christopher/Aki storyline walks a fine line then.  And initially there is an attempted rape scene that ends very badly for the rapist.  So again Blood Drive is not a show for anyone who has any triggers at all.  If anything it is a horror comedy action violent banza.   

I really don't get this decision. The ratings were okayish and they knew there was a plan in place so the show already had an expiration date. The show had a stringent narrative and structure and that is so rare nowadays and everything was coming together beautifully. And to add injury to insult: they pulled the plug without warning giving the team no chance to come up with some sort of resolution and leaving us with plenty of cliffhangers and a big 'Meh - we don't care!'

• Love 8

I am sad to hear this because i like everyone involved in the show. However i never liked i as much once we had the other Raza and that studd. I was drawn in by the theme of people reinventing themselves and  trying to overcome their reputations.  I thought that was resolved much too quickly.  But i think i am in the minority there. 

I did enjoy the show and would definitely have been watching until the end. I would like to have seen where it was going. And they always had such interesting secondary characters!

• Love 2

SyFy really needs to pony up with a movie to wrap it up. They owe it to the fans who prop up their channel. And, quickly, before cast and crew move on.

I'm happy about Killjoys, but their 2 season renewal does give the impression it was at the expense of Dark Matter.

• Love 1

So he is saying it was more like Babylon 5 in the grand opera and less like Firefly giving us a movie showing what was the ultimate endpoint but jumping over all the fun to get there. If it wasn't for Five's future visions I would have said the Ink aliens won, end of story.

• Love 3

This is an utter shock and beyond belief. 

That Killjoys abomination gets 2 more seasons!??... whahhhh??

Both shows have nearly identical viewer ratings!!  There must be something else at play here. 

Did DM have much higher production costs per episode??

EDIT... nevermind... just checked out that link with Mallozzi's take on the situation. It's done!.. Deader that SGU. 

PS: .... FU SyFy! Other than The Expanse, this was the ONLY other show I had watched on SPACE. I don't want to invest any more time on trying to support ANY NEW show on these networks. I am now just one more step closer to a complete cord cut other than Unlimited Broadband. 

Edited by CanadaPhil

Dang, just learning about this. I watch both Killjoys and Dark Matter, but liked DM much better from the start, and even moreso as the seasons have gone on. I'm confused about 75% of the time with Killjoys, mostly because I don't care to watch carefully enough to follow all of the convoluted mythology. I would like that show much better if it moved past all of that and went back to being the warrant of the week more often than not.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I am surprised. Killjoys got that two season renewal so I think that Dark Matter would be easily renewed also.

It came down to secondary market sales. SyFy gets money from Killjoys as an owner, they don't from Dark Matter as they were one of the consumers.

• Love 4

I just saw the news, and I am both surprised and depressed. This show really came into its own this season (even more so than the last few years)  and I was really excited to see where it was all going, and now we dont get to see it. There should be laws against cancelling a show after a cliffhanger! I guess it was because the show isn't an original, unlike Killjoys, but it still seems crappy to cancel a show that gets decent ratings, and fits in with the actual syfy premise of the syfy channel. It looks like they want to get rid of some of their space shows to make room for more fantasy style shows that they actually own. This makes me A LOT like likely to try out their new shows tough. Why should I trust them now not to cancel a show I get invested in.

I will keep watching Killjoys and Wynonna Earp (do we know if WE is getting another season?), but its hard for me to get into shows that replace shows that I really like. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I just assumed that some people don't click on links. 

Sometimes I'm in the mood to follow a link (and have time), sometimes not. So I appreciate both a provided link and quotes and/or information from the blogs/stories. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

In yesterday's blog post, @Joseph Mallozzi talked about how Netflix seems most interested and asked that people contact them by either phone, e-mail, or filling out a title request form.

Thanks for posting that. I've done my share and posted the info in places I frequent and where it hadn't already been mentioned and I've notified folks I know love the show.

• Love 2

I don't get it... Dark Matter has much of a firefly / serious storyline scifi feel than killjoys (which I enjoy too) but it got canceled while killjoys got 2 more Seasons? This is skewer inside job work right here. Killjoys got some inside connection to keep it going. The Raza and its storyline is way more realistic and interesting. The characters each developed from nothing really latches on to you. This sucks =/ they didn't get to utilize the blink drive as much too. I'll miss the cast. P. S. How does killing the lady in the green take two seasons for killjoys when dark matter has their entire cast history yet to be fully understood, an otherwise dimensional alien invasion, android revolution, and the war they currently have? Also they better not cancel The Expanse... That's one of my top scifi shows I'm looking forward to. 

Edited by Harry Potter
  • Love 1

The potential NetFlix deal does signal a new way to see TV, Have a season broadcast to get a market and then one of the streaming services buys it as unique content to get you to buy their service. Most noticeably seen in the new Star Trek, given the 50 year legacy name  CBS is just giving away the pilot episode

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

The potential NetFlix deal does signal a new way to see TV, Have a season broadcast to get a market and then one of the streaming services buys it as unique content to get you to buy their service. Most noticeably seen in the new Star Trek, given the 50 year legacy name  CBS is just giving away the pilot episode

I'd originally given Dark Matter a pass, for reasons I'm not sure I remember or understand since I really love it now.  But watching the first season on Netflix got me into it.  Netflix has been my gateway to shows I either missed the first episodes of, or didn't watch because I already had too many things. (other streaming services as well, of course).  The same was true for The Expanse (though I think that was Amazon, not sure). 

• Love 2
On 06.09.2017 at 8:42 AM, Harry Potter said:

Also they better not cancel The Expanse... That's one of my top scifi shows I'm looking forward to. 

After a Hugo award and general critical acclaim, I doubt The Expanse is going anywhere.

Even if I, personally, don't care about it much.

They're planning a "tweetstorm" tonight starting at 9pm EDT and 6pm PDT.  

Blog post from Joseph Mallozzi:   https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/september-8-2017-dark-matter-fans-having-an-impact-and-making-a-difference/

Here’s the update: We’re talking to some very interested parties.  They really like the show, but really LOVE its passionate, pre-established fanbase.  It’s a double bonus for them: getting an awesome series that comes with its own fervent following.

Yes, Dark Matter’s fate may rest on financial numbers and contractual clauses, but fan metrics will play an even more crucial motivational role.  As internal discussions ramp up, I’ve been asked to forward social media links (articles, petitions, fan reaction and responses) and statistics on the show’s online presence. So I cannot stress enough the importance of tonight’s planned tweet fest.  Yes, Dark Matter fans can directly influence the decision makers by participating.

YOU can make an impact!

YOU can make a difference!

Tonight at 9 pm EST/6 pm PST we STORM THE CASTLE!

Here what you need to know!

Follow @DarkMatterFTL .  They’ll reveal the secret hashtag just prior to start.

Only use that one hashtag, but make sure to reference the show, “Dark Matter”, in your tweet!

Enlisting the help of some heavy hitters for tonight’s event, so be sure to be there. No telling who you’ll see!

See also:  https://twitter.com/DarkMatterFTL

Edited by MrPissyPuppy
botched the quote
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

They're planning a "tweetstorm" tonight starting at 9pm EDT and 6pm PDT.  

Blog post from Joseph Mallozzi:   https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/september-8-2017-dark-matter-fans-having-an-impact-and-making-a-difference/

See also:  https://twitter.com/DarkMatterFTL

Well, I'm a bonehead when it comes to Twitter. But I used my first tweet for this. Not sure if it got to the right place, though.

• Love 2

When contacting Netflix, remember that they are losing Disney and thus Star Wars. They are a major financial force behind Star Trek: Discovery though, and joining Dark Matter (as an original for S4 and S5) and maybe The Expanse (how long before Syfy cancels that?) to that would put them on the map SF fans.

• Love 2

@ Joseph Malozzi's September 14, 2017 blog entry.

It’s thanks to you that we are where we are, with three potential new partners in deep discussion.  As I’ve been saying all along, pulling this off is still a longshot, but you’ve gone above and beyond the call in raising awareness and letting everyone out there know exactly how much Dark Matter means to you.

And, he will be releasing 30 minutes of bloopers from seasons 2 and 3.

Bloopers!  And lots of them.

I’ve been sitting on about 30 minutes of outtakes from Dark Matter’s second and third season.  Akemi has spent the whole day editing them down to 1:30 – 2:00 segments (sitting on the couch, doing a lot of laughing).  The second we start trending tomorrow night, I will release the first blooper segment on twitter.  And then, one every fifteen minutes for as long as we trend.

• Love 4

Well, it's all down to one suitor for 6-8 episode miniseries. @ Joseph Malozzi's Sept. 20, 2017 blog entry.

And so, we switch focus to our final suitor – a delightful wildcard with a creative proposition.  Unfortunately, said proposition comes with its own set of complications, chiefest of which is a timeline that may stretch far past our drop dead date ... we’d be looking at mini-series that would run, depending on budget, between 4-8 episodes – offering Dark Matter fans some form of closure.

Money was the reason the other deal didn't work out. 

• Love 2

Sad news. It's over. @Joseph Mallozzi's September23 blog post

All good things must come to an end – some much sooner than expected.  Sadly, such is the case for Dark Matter. Despite word of the cancellation by syfy, fandom rose up and gave us new hope. We sought to buck the odds and find our little show a new home.  But unfortunately, I just learned that our final option has proven unworkable due to contractual issues. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Wouter said:

A comic book (or series of comics) maybe the most likely, as DM's first saw the (public) light in that form. It would have to be adapted to the TV plots and characters, though.

I'd like a comic book best, if they get a good artist (like Jon J Muth or John Ridgway_.  If Joseph can get the copyright to his own work!@

• Love 1

Hey. I've been avoiding the forum because I love the show too much to share. There doesn't seem to be a general discussion thread so I'm not sure where else to post this--it isn't quite Small Talk--but it made me snort a few times, so I lifted it from my friend's Facebook page and am posting it with her permission:

Dark Matter is now really most sincerely dead and I have very mixed feelings about that. Well. Not that mixed. I'm sad it won't be there to make the barren television landscape of another summer more tolerable.

Dark Matter had 2 things I never expected to find in a Mallozzi & Mullie production: strong female characters and a complex narrative. Of course, now that I know they could've done that all along, I have to ask: WTF with Atlantis?

A few things I appreciated, aside from Three, were the long-term planning that meant, for instance, a throwaway scene from season 1 set up a core story arc in season 3; the resident Continuity Fairy (although..can we talk about the causes of Tataryn’s disease? No, I am not letting that go. Are you kidding? I still bitch about the ending of Lost), and Transfer transit, which is a very clever idea used to brilliant dramatic effect in episode 3.12.

Anyway...I'm going to miss the Raza, the crew, the story universe, and the relationships between Two & Three and Three & Five which were among my favorite aspects of the show. And Three. Did I mention I’m going to miss Three? Just checking. I’m going to miss Three. And Boone. But mostly Three.

I'm glad M&M got to check off so many of genre tropes before the end--time loop, time travel, alien possession, killer robots, AU. It was only a matter of time until the crew woke up in each others' bodies. Not in the fun way. (The body switch trope should be permanently retired. No one is ever going to do it better than Farscape.)

OTOH, I'm a little relieved that I'll never have to see that vest again. I'll lend the lighter to anyone who’ll torch that thing. Also, the show seemed to be heading in a direction I didn’t like very much, what with the alien invasion and “hey, baby, wanna kill all humans” thing with the androids.

I am annoyed that I'll never get to watch Portia and Three's adventures, even though I know M&M were never going to take it where I really wanted to go (Step 1. Fetch Boone. Step 2. Roll right into the nearest gutter), and I'll never see Three and Wexler being hilarious together, which I think really might have happened.

I'll never find out what happened to Bubba, missing in action since 3.01; or who killed Wren (was it Not-Doyle’s-Brother?); whether the 8 Track Tape of Mystery in the lockbox was significant or just space filler; whether Six was blown into another AU or the same AU or actually died; whether Sarah would suddenly but inevitably betray them; whether the Blink Drive would continue to be buggier than the ST:TNG holodeck; or whether that whiskey was McCutcheon’s (Shadow was a nod to Blake's 7, right? So why not Lost). And I really regret that there will be no new data for the close textual reading and analysis required to definitely determine how Boone can be marginally hotter than Three. I was prepared to dedicate time to that inquiry. For science.

The Canadian television industry isn’t huge—I’m surprised when I *don’t* see the same faces popping up everywhere (Fun fact: Under Canadian law, Ennis Esmer must appear at least once in everything filmed in Toronto. He reminds me of a cross between Saul Rubinek and Eric von Zipper. Him, I like.) So I’m pretty confident the cast will be showing up elsewhere soon.

I just hope they’re in shows I’d watch even if they weren’t in them. Not, just for a totally random example, The Good Witch. I mean, I do have some standards….that in no way stopped me from sitting there and watching it. Mostly because, I think, I was stunned that anyone would choose James Denton over Anthony Lemke. Who would trust magic from someone whose judgment is severely impaired. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you, woman?

What was I talking about? Oh, right. Dark Matter. Going to miss it.

• Love 5