Willow & Mark

Robert & Kym

Noah &  Sharna

Team Trouble

Rumer & Val

Riker & Allison

Patti & Artem

Chris & Witney 

Not surprisingly, Rumer and Nastia are the team leaders, as they have the highest cumulative scores of the competition, so far. I'd say Nastia's team looks the strongest, although they have the toughest physical challenge with Noah.

Edited by truthaboutluv
The number of brilliant choreographers(Derek, Sharna, Mark) with thier own vision on a team could lead to an epic masterpiece or epic disaster

Derek and Mark have been on the same team multiple times so I don't see that being an issue. I've never gotten an ego vibe from Kym and in fact she seems fairly easy going, so I can see her going with the flow with regards to the choreography and actually same with Sharna. I think these are four Pros who can work very well together. I don't see Team Trouble as being difficult to beat, instead I think the teams are fairly evenly matched. 

Yes Team YOLO has Noah who has the toughest physical challenge this season but Noah has his strengths, largely how physically strong he is, so they can work with that. And Team Trouble, while Riker and Rumer are very strong, they have Chris who is awful and has horrible musicality and Patti who is pretty slow and has been fairly light with the tough choreography. So both teams have their challenges. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Per the official website, the two teams are:

Team YOLO

Nastia & Derek

Willow & Mark

Robert & Kym

Noah & Sharna

Team Trouble

Rumer & Val

Riker & Allison

Patti & Artem

Chris & Witney

Not surprisingly, Rumer and Nastia are the team leaders, as they have the highest cumulative scores of the competition, so far. I'd say Nastia's team looks the strongest, although they have the toughest physical challenge with Noah.

I'm less inclined to be worried about Noah, since it's a freestyle and likely he'll do a bunch of super impressive lifts with Sharna. They've also got three pros who have worked around prosthetics before (Sharna/Derek/Mark. As an aside - Amy was in the studio this week visiting Noah.)

So while I think team Trouble is likely going to end up being fine, I'd agree Nastias team seems strongest on paper. (If I were Rumer I would have picked Noah over Patti - but maybe Artem and Val wanted to work together.)

I'm less inclined to be worried about Noah...

I'm not worried for Noah in the slightest, given that he's on Derek's team. They could come out and do the Chicken Dance out of sync and still get a tongue bath from the judges - it's written in the stars, or at least Derek's contract.

• Love 7

I'm not worried for Noah in the slightest, given that he's on Derek's team. They could come out and do the Chicken Dance out of sync and still get a tongue bath from the judges - it's written in the stars, or at least Derek's contract.

The more this is repeated, the more fascinating this conversation gets. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 5

I give her mad props to Patti for just going with it when she lost her shoe. Others can get flustered about a lost earring or some loose feathers and she dances without a shoe? Geez. For whatever reason her dance reminded me of a routine from a Barbie movie. I think it was the pink bar. Also, for what it's worth I think Artem does themes better than Mark. It's a theme, but it doesn't hit you over the head with it's themey-ness.

"We're basing our routine on the movie Whiplash." That is what's wrong with Mark and Williow, imo. Stop basing your routines on movies and music videos and books and everything else and just do a damn dance. Also, looks like Willow's been taking cues from Mark in the facial expression department. Not flattering.

Did someone screw up? Peta and Keo were not dancing a tango.

If Derek and Apolo Anton Ohno had a baby it would be Riker.

Team YOLO was much more put together than their package would have lead us to believe. But I'm going to give Noah the line of the night - in reference to putting a shark attack in their routine: "I can play that!" Special shout out to ... Henry? ... for being faux-Derek.

I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish by putting Riker in the bottom. Justifying his giant scores?

I'm sad to see Patti go. She was delightful to watch even if her dancing wasn't top notch. And I'll miss Artem. A lot. I liked him a lot more with Patti than I did last season with Lea.

• Love 7

Now can Patti come back and sing Lady Marmalade the way it's SUPPOSED to be sung?  She wasn't going to win, but she seems to be the only one doing the show for kicks and for fun.  I give her kudos for doing most of the dance with one shoe. 

• Love 9

Patti was a total rock star! 

I absolutely adored the Team Trouble dance.  Just adorable & everybody was having a ball. 

SO glad Robert & Kym are safe, I was worried.  Also glad Chris & Witney are good for another week.  I just love both couples. 

• Love 2

What do we have to do to get rid of Chris?  I thought Robert was going to be a goner and I presume he will be next week with a double elimination coming, but I'm glad he was spared another week.

Scoring was all over the place tonight.   I'm not sure there was any one dance I really loved.  I probably liked the team dances the best and both were pretty cleanly danced.

I generally love Riker and he was doing his best to sell that samba, but he was overscored.  He was great in the group routine though.  I love that he goes full out no matter what.

I love Kym for packing their routines full of content and Robert did a pretty good job.  I thought he was underscored a tad.

I love that Rumer goes full out as well, but I didn't love Val's choreography again.  I don't agree with the judges in the sense that what do you expect when you assign the song Bootylicious, but the routine itself was just okay and it was the most awkward Rumer has looked all season.  She looks way better in traditional ballroom.  Val could have done more with that song.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

I am now convinced that Riker is not getting the votes the producers expected. Once again he was WAY overscored. Those 10's from Bruno and Carrie Ann were a joke. As usual, the dance was one speed and as usual, it got manic and Riker's footwork was sloppy at many points. That Carrie Ann and Bruno truly think that was a 10 worthy dance is laughable. 

Damn, Julianne and her pink hair is on a tear tonight. While I agreed with her about Rumer and Val's dance, that 7 was a little harsh. Of course it was balanced by Bruno's 9 which was too high. I thought that dance was a solid straight 8 across the board. Rumer really did a lot more posing than actual dancing and sorry Val, that choreography was incredibly lazy. And I don't buy the excuse of the song and theme or whatever else - as Carrie Ann noted, there was a lot more that could have been done with that song. 

I didn't love Nastia's dance but it wasn't for the reasons the judges noted. Honestly, at this point I'm less annoyed by Derek and Nastia's so called lack of connection and more by it being mentioned so much. It just feels like a cop out at this point. Like nothing else to criticize, state that. It was Tango - Tango is intense and dramatic so I disagreed with Julianne about the lack of connection. I also completely disagreed with Len about the dance being one speed. When the dance started, I actually thought that it seemed a little slow at first for a Tango and then it got really intense and dramatic as the beat changed. So I really did not see things the way Len did and was as confused as Derek looked. 

My issue with the dance is that I felt Nastia's frame wasn't as strong and as intense as it needed to be for the Tango. Her technique is usually great but tonight, I felt like she didn't really nail it in her upper body. Also, as cool as the spinning move was, it is my understanding that the couples are not allowed to break hold in a Tango and so I expected the judges to call that out but they didn't. So go figure. 

While I liked the choreography for Willow's dance, though it had a lot of content, I think she was slightly overscored because of what the judges themselves noted - her legs weren't bent correctly and it affected some of her steps and turns. Also I felt tonight she regressed a little and seemed a little tentative and uncertain at points. And that affected the flow of the dance, so at points it felt a bit slow. Still a pretty fun dance. 

While I wasn't looking forward to the groans if Derek's team won again, personally I thought they were better. I thought it captured the Spring Break theme really well, it was very Beach Boys/Surfing USA, they were perfectly in sync and each team held their own very well. Team Trouble was interesting but between Riker and Allison's manic dancing, Chris, no matter what Bruno said, not being in time with Witney and the blackboard distracting me for much of the dance, I didn't love it as much. But at least it was a tie and apparently Val couldn't wait to run on Twitter to boast about whether or not it counted, complete with hashtag about breaking the streak. I'll try to restrain the eyeroll and someone should tell him that no, a tie is not beating someone else, it's a tie. 

I'm really shocked there was an elimination because once Tom announced the double elimination next week, I thought no one would be going home. I can't say Patti's elimination was shocking or unfair in anyway but I think the only thing more shocking is Chris still being there. Seriously, every single time they've had one of those damn Bachelor's they overstay their welcome. Like who is voting for them?

Special shout out to ... Henry? ... for being faux-Derek.

It was Sasha. Henry has been replaced. 

Also, anyone else notice Allison's epic bitch-face while waiting for the final results? Yeah I'm so ready for her and Riker to be this season's shocking elimination.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I nearly fell off my couch when those 10's for Riker popped up. What the hell was that?

There is no way that Robert should be at the bottom of the leader board. He actually danced, while Sharna danced around Noah. And I don't know why they've decided Chris is suddenly a great dancer.

Sorry to see Miss Patti go.

• Love 4

Team Trouble for the win! I thought they were loads better, and I didn't appreciate the tiny cramped stage for Team YOLO. Or their stupid team name.

Sad to see Miss Patti go. I didn't even notice she lost a shoe because she didn't even flinch. That's a performer right there!

I didn't like Rumer and Val's dance either. She was stiff and it was boring.

There was something awkward about Nastia this week too. It was alright, but nothing compared to their AT.

Riker and Allison were surprisingly enjoyable tonight. Maybe they should always be short for time. Might force them to tone it down a little.

Willow and Mark weren't bad, but kind of meh. The extra ribs are a bit freaky. I was thinking it was a joke, but seems like it wasn't.

Chris has definitely improved, but it wasn't that great. Nice to see him smile for a change though, and his lines were better.

• Love 1

And did Bruno really tell Willow she looked hot, when commenting on their team dance? Because if that is what happened, I think it may be time for Bruno to be fired. His creepy is getting to the point of being incredibly and increasingly uncomfortable.

• Love 4

That was a very strange dance by Riker. There were bits where his dancesport background was very obvious. (A star utilizing their lats in a Latin dance? That's unpossible.). But overall? Yeesh.It's a terrible shame he's not working with a ballroom pro.

• Love 1

Riker has been in jeopardy twice now. Add that to those "10's" he got tonight and it felt like a cushion score to keep him from going home next week. I still stand by my prediction that he doesn't make the Top 3.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure Patti purposely kicked her shoe off. If you watch again, she shuffles her feet a bit to loosen the heel off of her left foot, and then kicked. She's known for kicking off her shoes in concert, too. Someone had tweeted a question to her asking if she would kick off her shoes this week, and she had replied that she couldn't because their shoes had an ankle strap on them. I guess she changed her mind!

• Love 3
But at least it was a tie and apparently Val couldn't wait to run on Twitter to boast about whether or not it counted, complete with hashtag about breaking the streak. I'll try to restrain the eyeroll and someone should tell him that no, a tie is not beating someone else, it's a tie.

This mother...

No, it doesn't count, Val.  You did not break the streak.  It's a tie.  You have to beat the other team.  You didn't do that.

I didn't catch much of the show.  I caught Team Trouble's dance and I wasn't impressed.  That song seemed a little slow and terrible.  And wasn't the theme supposed to be Spring Break?  School's out.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 2
I didn't love Nastia's dance but it wasn't for the reasons the judges noted. Honestly, at this point I'm less annoyed by Derek and Nastia's so called lack of connection and more by it being mentioned so much. It just feels like a cop out at this point.

Yeah I have to give Nastia major props for not bursting into tears at this point. This is what the fourth or fifth time she has been told she is unemotional? She definitely needs to work on her performance ability, but I would feel very dejected if I kept hearing that same critique.

I know its been said that being in jeopardy doesnt necessarily mean anything, but c'mon now.  If Ryker was really pulling in that many votes they wouldnt have put him in jeopardy just for the hell of it nor would they be throwing around 10's tonight. I think he really has been one of the lower vote getters.  Hes got a loud online fanbase but we've seen plenty in the past that those big fanbases for the youngins dont always translate into votes.

I'm sorry for saying this because I know its going to sound extremely shallow..but Willow's eyebrows drove me nuts tonight.  I'm not a fan of super thin or penciled eyebrows but if youre going to have thick eyebrows they at least need to be brushed.

Chris was much better this week but overscored.

• Love 1

People with large young followings never got anyone the win. Look at people like Cody, Bethany, James who all had large young following but none made the Top 3.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 1

People with large young followings never got anyone the win. Look at people like Cody, Bethany, James who all had large young following but none made the Top 3.

People with large young followings have made it close to a win.  Kyle Massey was runner up.  Zendaya was runner up.  Chelsea Kane was third, though you could argue TPTB pushed her there.  Janel had a large younger following and got third.  They don't win, but they have assuredly made the finals.

People with large young followings have made it close to a win.  Kyle Massey was runner up.  Zendaya was runner up.  Chelsea Kane was third, though you could argue TPTB pushed her there.  Janel had a large younger following and got third.  They don't win, but they have assuredly made the finals.

The difference with Kyle and Zendaya is they gained fans throughout the process and Zendaya especially didn't hide her dance background like Riker is. I would even argue he's way more unknown generally than those 2. I see Riker going more of the Sabrina/Roshon route of leaving in a couple weeks in a shocker.

• Love 3

Glad to hear that someone else didn't think Peta and Keo were doing a tango - I thought I was having some kind of acid flashback, because the screen kept blithely insisting that was a tango.

Patti went out on a pretty high note.  I was gobsmacked by her ability to keep dancing with one very high heel on and not to show any hesitation - no matter how often she does it.

Willow was awkward; Riker was awkward; Alison was awkward.

Robert's dyed hair and eyebrows were irritating tonight. I hated their package and its fake insinuations.

I actually thought Noah and Sharna's rumba was pretty darn good; I can get very bored by rumbas very quickly and I found some of the hand choreo Sharna did was lovely and appropriate to the song - I'm so sorry he felt so sideswiped by the package.  In general, I have to say that his presence makes me uncomfortable because it seems so exploitative.  I've felt that way about all the disabled stars we've seen - I think it would be fine if the show didn't gush over their inspiritionalness, but the soppy emotional crap drives me nuts.

• Love 5
People with large young followings have made it close to a win.  Kyle Massey was runner up.  Zendaya was runner up.  Chelsea Kane was third, though you could argue TPTB pushed her there.  Janel had a large younger following and got third.  They don't win, but they have assuredly made the finals.

And also, those people all had well-liked, established pros that had their own following. I'm not sure Allison can carry Riker. She might have plenty of SYTYCD fans, but I'm pretty sure they don't translate to DWTS.

• Love 3

The team dance proved that Derek should have taken the season off for his other responsibilities. Now it affected 4 teams. That was ridiculous! And I thought team Lolo was very boring. I thought the school one was clearly better with more dancing ( with Patty and Noah canceling each other ). But remember when they actually had to dance a ballroom dance for the team dance?? Now those were impressive!! These are just mishmash freestyle .....

• Love 6

Noah thought that their package made Sharna look bad? In what world? I know that Chris is probably the weaker dancer, but now I'm straight up done with Noah.

Riker's Samba was not deserving of those scores. It was sloppy and frantic. Also, the choreography was incredibly repetitive. I don't know if it was a time issue or the fact that Allison just doesn't know as much Latin as the actual ballroom pros, but it felt to me that every move they did on the stage was repeated on the floor just in a different order. Where did he go for days? And why didn't she go with him? 

I think Nastia and Derek have a connection problem and I think that Nastia is a closed off "cooler" dancer, but I don't think that's a problem. I never thought of Karina as a "warm" dancer, but I loved her movement. She knew how to use her strengths and personality to her benefit. The problem with Derek and Nastia is that they're trying to force her against type. Let her be a cool dancer and play that up in the choreography. Derek just doesn't seem to have the time to work with her to find her ballroom personality and match the choreography to what she's projecting on the dance floor.

I kind of ship Kym and Robert, but my god, did Erin trying to get them to make out bug me. Back off lady. If they are or aren't together, I don't need them to be forced into an awkward situation on TV. Just let them be cute and have fun dances.

I actually liked both team dances. Its clear that there was some strife in YOLO. The package did a good job covering it up, but the tension was real. Trouble's dance appealed to me more because I like seeing the personalities of each team and I'm glad Patti got to go out on such a high note.

• Love 2
The problem with Derek and Nastia is that they're trying to force her against type. Let her be a cool dancer and play that up in the choreography. Derek just doesn't seem to have the time to work with her to find her ballroom personality and match the choreography to what she's projecting on the dance floor.

But see I don't think that gels with this week and their being assigned a Tango. Again, Tango is dramatic and intense and I thought they had that. I also thought it worked to her personality and who she is and there wasn't any forcing of anything. So that's why I felt like the whole "there just wasn't a connection" line just felt tired. It just at this points seems predictable. Like you said, she will never be Suzy Sunshine, she will likely never be this over emoting perfect performer but it's getting to the point where I feel like the judges are focusing more on what she's doing wrong and little on what she's doing right when she's doing a lot right. It has to be frustrating to her and Derek at this point. 

The team dance proved that Derek should have taken the season off for his other responsibilities. Now it affected 4 teams. That was ridiculous!

I honestly thought that whole thing was a bit over the top and producer manipulated for drama - likely a let's play up how disorganized they are so everyone can think, "oh no, it'll suck" and then it doesn't. I don't doubt it was stressful at points and it was a challenge but the fact is many celebrities and other people have had commitments and missed group rehearsals and it has been fine. Michael was gone last season for much of the rehearsal of the Team Dance and Emma had to basically teach him the dance on his own time and they had to shove him in. 

The obvious set up of Rumer talking to Derek to "psyche them out" clearly showed him in LA rehearsing at the time with the team. Typically Team dance rehearsals is usually two meetings because the couples are all focusing on their individual dances. Nastia was back in enough time to rehearse with the team with Sasha and Derek really just had to learn the whole routine and jump in. I seriously doubt it was so difficult for Derek, a Pro, to pick up the steps and routine. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I could see exactly what Len was talking about with Nastia/Derek.  I think her partner is truly doing her a disservice this season.  He doesn't seem to be choreographing for her.  It's driving me nuts!  I loved watching Meryl two seasons ago, ringer that she was, because Maks really honored her as an individual.  This season it seems that Derek is trying to shoehorn Nastia into choreography, not taking her personal talents and style into consideration. 

And can I say that his phoned-in contribution to the team dance was bad enough, but then they lead the dance with him?  Really?  I think anyone else on that team was more deserving.  He really should have sat out this season. Self-serving comes to mind here.

Judges were more than a bit off tonight. Julianne, really?  Even if it wasn't their best dance ever, a 7 for Rumer?  I thought she did well, considering she had to fight for the viewer's focus next to two pro women. I appreciated the reaction of Rumer/Val to Len, especially.  A bit with the excuses, but also totally accepting his statements instead of writing him off.

• Love 13

Judges were more than a bit off tonight. Julianne, really?  Even if it wasn't their best dance ever, a 7 for Rumer?  I thought she did well, considering she had to fight for the viewer's focus next to two pro women. I appreciated the reaction of Rumer/Val to Len, especially.  A bit with the excuses, but also totally accepting his statements instead of writing him off.

Exactly. Here Julianne went in and gave them a very low score considering what Chris, Noah, Patti and Robert all got but her main complaint was you danced to Bootylicious in a way that suited the character of the song. Its not like she has never been given a song (Jesse's Girl) and a dance (Tango) and found that to make it work she had to play up to the song or anything. Rumer/Val were in a bad place. Rumer would have shined with something jazzier to show off her real skills but she got jazz and Bootylicious so Beyoncé poses, booty popping and raunch it is. Len and the other judges weren't really wrong but its not like Rumer could have gotten her Fosse on to Destiny's Child.

• Love 6

Everyone seemed a little off to me this week - maybe a reaction to Spring Break being an incredibly lame theme? 

I didn't get what the problem was with dancing to Work It. Sure, it is sexually explicit, but nobody remembers that, the just remember the fun backwards lyrics and great beat, and the 9 year old who danced to it in the video. Is Riker practicing Mormon, is that where the problem came in? Though, he really didn't seem to care, it seemed like Allison freaking out about it and Riker being like, "Sure, whatevs, tell me what to do." 

It was interesting to me that Noah had such a negative reaction to that package, because right before I was just thinking how I liked how they worked together, and were able to work through one or another of them getting cranky in rehearsals. Like, it was a quick tiff, they worked it out, hugged it out, and got back to work, and I was sitting there thinking, "Man, I like them together, and how Sharna works with him" when he started getting upset.  

ETA. OH, I almost forgot my maybe favorite moment though, which was: 
Mark: "It could have a shark attack..."
Noah: "I could play that!!"

Also, just rewatched the Team YOLO dance, and I think Mark may have kicked a beachball into an audience member's face at the beginning of their solo. Oops.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2

This show is trying to make me stop watching.

IMO, I don't think Val was boasting about the tie but even if he was, I wouldn't blame him. Year after year the show goes on ad nauseum about Derek's team always winning the team dance. If his team is not the best, doesn't matter, he wins anyway.

Neither of those teams deserved tens but there should have been a winner. Not team YOLO. They should have lost based soley on the stupid name

• Love 11

I'm sorry to say that I can' warm up to Noah, even as a person. He just has kind of a crazy look to me, like a guy with a bad temper and a short fuse. I would have preferred him leaving tonight over Patti.

• Love 7

That was a strange reaction from Noah, but I like that he's defending Sharna. I love her this season.

None of the judges have said this, but one problem with Derek and Nastia's tangos is that, they are supposed to have body contact during the dance. For both the Argentine and standard tango, the couple should be in contact in the pelvis area when in hold. Maybe Nastia has a problem with that, which may be the reason for some of the "connection" comments. 

Why did she switch to Sasha? I mean, he's a sweetie, and the one clip we saw of her with Henry was a little weird. She should be used to tough coaches. 

I like Patti, but it was time for her to go.