Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Episode Eight

As news of Aliyah's organized march for Carter's cause spreads, tensions and emotions within the community rise. The city tries to stifle the demonstration and the DA attempts to offer Carter a plea deal. Demonized and the target of violent threats, Barb refuses to back down and desperately rallies her own group of supporters to attend the march. Once again placed in juvenile detention, Tony could be charged as an adult. Alonzo urges him to testify against Carter to gain some leniency. Hector reconnects with his girlfriend and promises to turn his life around for her and their daughter. Unemployed and out of options, Russ turns to Mark for help in allowing him to move into Matt and Gwen's house.

I continue to hate how horribly everyone is treating Russ and Barb even though their son is dead. I hate racists with a passion, but I would still have some sympathy for anyone losing a son. And if my child were murdered, I wouldn't be rational and I would hate whoever was identified as doing it.

I was confused by Aubrey's comments this episode. It almost sounded like she made up the allegations against her brother when she said "I'll throw all of you under the bus to save Carter." WTH?  I still can't stand soldier son and his snotty fiancé. Why is she insisting on meeting the future in-laws just to be a bitch? This doesn't mean I like Barb or Russ.

• Love 2

I really liked Barb in this episode. I know a few racists like her. The general blame the others types but when hit with true agenda people they go "wo nelly that is not what I meant!"

The last scene was interesting with all the agenda types latching on to the case and making it their own. I guess this is what always happens with these kind of big cases.

• Love 2

Much better episode to me, I didn't feel dirty after watching.

I feel really sorry for Russ. Bitch ex and asshole son.

I don't believe I've ever seen a headscarf at a "no justice no peace" type protest. I agree the sister's church probably wouldn't go all out for Carter. Has he ever denied killing Matt?

• Love 1
I was confused by Aubrey's comments this episode. It almost sounded like she made up the allegations against her brother when she said "I'll throw all of you under the bus to save Carter." WTH?

she said he same thing in he previous episode. This is the most misanthropic show on television.

• Love 3

"The series that's left everyone stunned and astonished." Yeah... stunned by how bad it is and astonished it's still on.

I thought Tony's story was going to be interesting. I was wrong. I'm still intrigued by Hector. I don't know if it is just the actor or if the character is actually interesting. He's the only one who seems to have some depth.

• Love 3

Barb: "Am I a racist?"

Fucking A... hearing that  was like watching Sesame Street or something and Big Bird is trying to figure out how many kids are playing hopscotch or some shit and he repeats himself ad nauseum so the little ones (for whom the show really exists... not us parents being held hostage by Muppets) can figure out the answer. Like you watch that and as a sleep-deprived grownup it's SO OBVIOUS that it doesn't even warrant a question.

However... I think it was totally in-character, even if it made me loudly yell at my tv.  People like Barb just have no self-awareness.  I almost felt bad for her a few times.  I was very, very angry at Regina King throwing shade at Barb. Um, Barb's son is fucking dead. Your brother had something to do with it. Maybe you don't get to be snarky about her, even if Barb is unlikable almost all the time.  Have some compassion for your idiot brother's (possible) victims.

Poor Russ. I think it's really crappy he lost his job.  Do we know his friend ratted him out or has this show  made me hate humanity so much I assume she did it?

• Love 9

I think this episode was written by a deep-thinking high school freshman consumed by a burning passion to expose society's evils.

I hate that Russ' son makes him beg, then brushes him off like garbage.  Timothy Hutton deserves some kind of award or recognition for his work in this show.

The flitting violin in the background reminds me of some other movie or series.   I can't place it, but I'll wager it was a lot better than American Crime.

It just occurred to me: do you think the title could be an ironic commentary on the series itself?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7

I think this episode was written by a deep-thinking high school freshman consumed by a burning passion to expose society's evils.

I love this and perfect!  

Everyone on this cast (except Russ) has only one note.  That is probably on purpose and a style they wanted.  No one is nasty 100% of the time.  So this isn't supposed to be real life, I get that, but this device is boring.   

Anyone know how many episodes there will be?  It is moving so slowly that it will either have to speed up or have the worst finale ever.   I am with it to the end because I know there is an end!  

• Love 2

This link gives episode descriptions so should be counted as a spoiler though the descriptions are brief.   It concludes in episode 11.  It got rave reviews here so this must have been previously aired or these reviewers were sent videos.  

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/american-crime/s01/

I don't think any of the reviewers actually watched this hot mess. I think they are impressed with the cast and the director and his connection to 12 years a slave. Maybe Ridley is better at adapting other peoples work to the screen. 

• Love 2

Barb: "Am I a racist?"

Fucking A... hearing that  was like watching Sesame Street or something and Big Bird is trying to figure out how many kids are playing hopscotch or some shit and he repeats himself ad nauseum so the little ones (for whom the show really exists... not us parents being held hostage by Muppets) can figure out the answer. Like you watch that and as a sleep-deprived grownup it's SO OBVIOUS that it doesn't even warrant a question.

However... I think it was totally in-character, even if it made me loudly yell at my tv.  People like Barb just have no self-awareness.  I almost felt bad for her a few times.  I was very, very angry at Regina King throwing shade at Barb. Um, Barb's son is fucking dead. Your brother had something to do with it. Maybe you don't get to be snarky about her, even if Barb is unlikable almost all the time.  Have some compassion for your idiot brother's (possible) victims.

Other than appreciating some performances, that was the first thing in this whole show I enjoyed. I have had that conversation with dozens maybe hundreds of people over the years (I'm a straight ally and LGBTQ rights activist).  I've listened to deny they are bigoted, even a little (and believe it), but "they" do this and "they" do that, and "they" shouldn't have this right or that right, and when that light comes on and they get it, it's powerful. That scene rang so true to me. I felt it.

And that made me more frustrated about every episode to date, because it they can do that well, they could have done everything else much better. I can see how this show could have worked, but it's so heavy-handed and overwrought. 

• Love 5

No one in real life would march for Carter Nix. He is a drug addict accused of killing a drug dealer. I think his sisters temple would have told her to kick rocks and not helped at all.

It depends on whether they believe Carter is truly a victim of racism.  It depends on their agenda.  Unfortunately, groups attach themselves to high profile issues so they can raise their profile, not giving a damn whether or not the issue of the day is really an issue.

• Love 3

t depends on whether they believe Carter is truly a victim of racism.  It depends on their agenda.  Unfortunately, groups attach themselves to high profile issues so they can raise their profile, not giving a damn whether or not the issue of the day is really an issue.

Think of all the recent marches. It has been for unarmed victims of violence and police brutality. Carter Nix is the story racist white people bring up when they are complaining about Al Sharpton  and black on black violence. Someone complains about Freddie Gray being beat up by cops.Racist white person says what about that 9-11 hero that was killed by the crackhead. Why wasn't Al marching for the 9-11 hero. Then you say wasn't that guy arrested, he is in jail waiting on his trial.  Carter Nix is the stupid black criminal that gets arrested everyday that no one cares about.

I like Russ, and I actually like the fact that they are bringing up how difficult it is for people to get a job with prior convictions no matter how well-meaning they are or how much they turn their life around.  I can't recall if they ever mentioned what he was convicted for.

I thought I was going to like the military fiance, but she's very pushy and kind of a know-it-all.  Is she some kind of therapist?  What does Russ not going to Matt and Gwen's wedding have to do with anything.

Has the show definitively showed that Carter is the killer or is it still up in the air?  Admittedly I only half-heartedly watch the show so I know there are things I might miss.  I'm just asking because I can't imagine anyone pleading guilty to crime (a murder at that) that they know they didn't commit.  I've never been in that situation, so obviously I have no idea what I would do if falsely accused.  I'd like to think I'd fight, but its such a terrible situation to be in, I just don't know.

I think the secondary topics the show broaches (whether intentional or not) are much more interesting than the main topics they are focusing on. 

Just when I want to totally give up on Tony, he shows some guts by not letting his father talk him into lying on Carter.

Had never heard the saying "better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6".  That was a 'whoa" moment. 

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

Has the show definitively showed that Carter is the killer or is it still up in the air?  Admittedly I only half-heartedly watch the show so I know there are things I might miss.  I'm just asking because I can't imagine anyone pleading guilty to crime (a murder at that) that they know they didn't commit.  I've never been in that situation, so obviously I have no idea what I would do if falsely accused.  I'd like to think I'd fight, but its such a terrible situation to be in, I just don't know.

I'm not sure what to make of Carter and his guilt or innocence. Since he's so willing to take the plea, I'm inclined to think he's involved, but it could be that Aubrey is the shooter. We already know that he'll do anything to protect her. If Carter were younger, less intelligent, or being heavily pressured by the police, I could see him caving out of fear. He was not being pressured to accept the deal. I'm not even sure if I approve of Aliyah talking him out of taking the plea. If he were truly innocent, I think he'd put up a fight for his own sake and not just for hers.

This episode made me feel for Barb. She is so trapped in her bitterness (which was already present before her son was murdered) that she hasn't been able to see the negative perception that she has created. Now she's being attacked. Her son has died, and no one even feels sorry for her because she seems so nasty.

During the episode, I kept wondering if Felicity Huffman's facial muscles hurt from making that pissed-off face all the time.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 2

Just rewatched this, and wow, I feel for Russ. Yes, he messed up, but how degrading to have to beg to move into your murdered son's house because you have nowhere else to go, and deal with disdain and disgust of your only living son, ouch. Also, liked Barb's realization, that yeah, maybe I need to rethink my actions, because I look like a racist. Loved the advocate's reaction to Barb reaching out to the supremacist groups. Barb's jumped in the deep end by allowing the supremacists to march on her son's behalf, hope it bite's her in the ass.

I'm not sure what to make of Carter and his guilt or innocence. Since he's so willing to take the plea, I'm inclined to think he's involved, but it could be that Aubrey is the shooter. We already know that he'll do anything to protect her. If Carter were younger, less intelligent, or being heavily pressured by the police, I could see him caving out of fear. He was not being pressured to accept the deal. I'm not even sure if I approve of Aliyah talking him out of taking the plea. If he were truly innocent, I think he'd put up a fight for his own sake and not just for hers.

I don't get this either. He looks like an idiot not defending himself.

I like Russ, and I actually like the fact that they are bringing up how difficult it is for people to get a job with prior convictions no matter how well-meaning they are or how much they turn their life around.  I can't recall if they ever mentioned what he was convicted for.

Probably theft and/or fraud to feed his gambling addiction.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 1

I just remembered - early in the episode, during Carter's interview, the interviewer used the term "outside agitators" to describe the people who were protesting on Carter's behalf. I have only heard that term used by politicians and policemen in the South in the 1950s and 60s when they were fighting to keep segregation. For someone to use it now and in the context of this show is a bit over the top.

I like Russ, and I actually like the fact that they are bringing up how difficult it is for people to get a job with prior convictions no matter how well-meaning they are or how much they turn their life around.  I can't recall if they ever mentioned what he was convicted for.

I thought I was going to like the military fiancée, but she's very pushy and kind of a know-it-all.  Is she some kind of therapist?  What does Russ not going to Matt and Gwen's wedding have to do with anything.

From episode one:

RussListen, I admit I had some problems.

Barb: "Problems"?! [Stammering] S-s-say what you did! Say what you did! Say what you did! You gambled away everything we had. Then you went and stole so you could gamble some more.

When Richelle referred to her family in the past tense last episode I assumed they're dead—or at the very least estranged. So she has some first-hand experience with family drama.

RichelleHave you been avoiding me?

Russ: Uh, Mark made it pretty clear he didn't want me around right now.

Richelle: I left you messages, I invited you out to lunch.…

RussWhen Mark's brother got married, he, he went through the trouble of inviting me. And that's how it was, too—trouble. Barb didn't want me around, Gwen's parents tolerated me. Not a lot more important than seeing your own boy give his vows. I really wanted to be there, but I knew better. It's the same way now. I mean, I, I know better than to come around.

Richelle: Yeah, but you did get invited. You could've gone. Let me ask you something: When you skipped the wedding, you think you were trying to make more of a statement by not being there than by showing up?

There were a lot of uncomfortable truths spoken in this episode. Like Eve Carlin asking Barb, "You want us to put our daughter on display just to fix what you've wrecked? If Matt had lived and Gwen had died, would you do this to him?"

• Love 2
On April 30, 2015 at 1:37 PM, editorgrrl said:

1st Sergeant Richelle Yoon is Mark's fiancée, played by Gwendoline Yeo.

I always admire how factual you are in answering open questions on the boards, editorgrrl.  Thank you

• Love 1