Type keyword(s) to search

How Do You Say "Pot Ledom" in German?: Top Model from Other Countries

As the title says, so we can discuss!

I will say this: in a cage match between Tyrant Banks and Naomi Campbell, I'd put money on Naomi.  In terms of reality show ratings, I have no idea though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I`ve always found it hilarious how successful the Australian girls have been- the stuff Tyra promises the American girls, the Australians have actually done. Gemma Sanderson has been a very successful commercial model for almost a decade. Alice Burdeu and Montana Cox have been in actual big shows overseas (as has Cassi Van Den Dungen.) On covers, on exclusives, in international press for being too skinny (like a real top model.) In actual shows of note, that models want (Dior, McQueen, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein.) Not obscure t-shirt companies. 

Even a model who was just a semi-finalist (Kia Low) have been successful- she just walked in an haute couture Dior show. She walked in McQueen, Calvin Klein. A semi-finalist!!! 

They haven`t picked the right winner every year (I liked Shanali last season for the win, because she`s beautiful and willowy. And also, AUSNTM desperately needs a winner of colour.) The Oz version seems more about fashion and less about Tyra`s ego.  Pot Ledom, indeed. 

Edited by Pogojoco

In between seasons of ANTM I watch NTM from other countries on You Tube.

Africa's NTM - My favorite - I love Oluchi - Glad to hear they will be doing more seasons.

UK's NTM - fun to watch but at times seems rather low-budget...

New Zealand's NTM - maybe it's cultural but I found these girls to be the least attractive to the point where I almost thought it was a joke.

Australia's NTM - definitely seems like the emphasis is on modeling more that the drama and hype.

Asia's NTM - only was able to find a few episodes on YT - was I saw was quite good.

Mexico's NTM - currently watching.  Even though my Spanish is intermediate at best, I can follow along.  Impressive so far.

What others should I look for?

Africa's NTM - My favorite - I love Oluchi - Glad to hear they will be doing more seasons.

New Zealand's NTM - maybe it's cultural but I found these girls to be the least attractive to the point where I almost thought it was a joke.

Australia's NTM - definitely seems like the emphasis is on modeling more that the drama and hype.

Asia's NTM - only was able to find a few episodes on YT - was I saw was quite good.

Mexico's NTM - currently watching.  Even though my Spanish is intermediate at best, I can follow along.  Impressive so far.

Canada's Next Top Model is, being Canadian I'm ashamed to say, pretty terrible- but it does feature a pretty obviously anorexic first winner (and wonder,in horror, how the producers didn't realize or ignored it), a high fashion-ish second winner (who doesn't really model anymore) and a rather gorgeous third winner, who also hasn't done too much. They are racially diverse (yay) and often really bitchy girls, like way bitchier than Canadians have a rep for (double yay!). Mr. Jay (also Canadian) is the host of the second and third cycle, which also features the insanely gorgeous Yasmin Warsame as a judge. It's terrible, but does have some interesting pictures and plenty of drama. 

Canada's known for producing super models (Linda Evangelista, queen of supermodels, was born in St. Catherine's, Ontario. Shalom Harlow, Coco Rocha) so it's kind of disappointing. It's entertaining though- so if you want to complete your English language top models, have at it. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 1

I watched a subtitled version of Germany's Next Top Model a few years ago, and it was pretty good.  All 9 seasons so far have been hosted by Heidi Klum, and it looks like she's on board for season 10 airing next year as well.  Unfortunately I can't find links to GNTM anymore.

I enjoyed season 3 of Canada's Next Top Model.  It was the only time I found Jay Manuel tolerable.

My favorite international NTM (and probably favorite NTM overall) is AusNTM.  The last few cycles have been crappy in my opinion, but I really enjoyed some of the earlier cycles (1, 2 minus the awful winner, 3, 5, and 6).

• Love 1

Actually, Meaghan Waller the CNTM C3 winner works pretty regularly and is signed with DNA models in NYC.  She's also been a house model for Donna Karan and is a J. Mendel favorite.

I actually knew that re. Meaghan (the Donna Karan bit, anyway) I just forgot. I amend it to "A third winner who works regularly, but not like Australians."

Edited by Pogojoco

Abbie Weir has been moved to the mainboard at IMG Australia:

Camilla and Marc S/S '14 lookbook, CRONIKER

Zimmermann Resort Collection '15

Tony Ward Couture Paris F/W '14

Oscar Carvallo Couture Paris F/W '14

Lan Yu Couture Paris F/W '14

AusNTM Cassi is going to the upcoming NYFW but not Paris or Milan according to an article in the Daily Telegraph.  Her son's birthday falls around the time of the Milan/Paris shows and she says motherhood comes first.

Edited by milkyaqua

My favorite international NTM (and probably favorite NTM overall) is AusNTM.  The last few cycles have been crappy in my opinion, but I really enjoyed some of the earlier cycles (1, 2 minus the awful winner, 3, 5, and 6).

I find it interesting you don't like cycle 7 of AUSNTM. It's probably overall my favourite. Some serious modeling potential. Montana is pretty phenomenal, and I thought Liz was pretty gorgeous. Even the "bitchy girl" Simone was pretty funny in her bitchiness (and also a total WAG in the making.) And they all pretty much got along. 

Cycle 8, I agree, is a total disaster. I find it majorly suspect that Alex Perry was all of a sudden, after 7 seasons of calling anyone under 5'9" a m*****, praising one who is 5'7". Just bizarre. And Didier Cohen was extremely annoying- I used to think Jonathan Pease was annoying. I missed Jonathan when Didier was around. 

True, no one is as annoying as Didier even Pease although both are creepy.  I really liked Josh, and it would be nice if Didier has to be around, to have him interact more in the way that Josh did or at least give him an actual purpose other than whatever it is he did in C8.

I'm not really crazy about JenBot either.  Nicole Trunfio or even Cheyenne from the now defunct The Face, would be better hosts and probably actually interact with the girls and not just stare and smile vacantly.

Alex apparently said that no shorties would be allowed this cycle if he had his way but Didier didn't agree so there's no telling what the final cast will look like.  I do hope they don't do a top 100 again.  That's a waste of time and they wind up kicking off girls with actual potential.  Also, turning all the blondes into brunettes needs to stop as well.  I bet there are already people placing odds on whether or not the next winner will be white and brunette as the past several cycles have been.

If Shine actually treats this upcoming cycle like a modeling show instead of trying to turn it into Fear Factor or something like they did last cycle, maybe it'll be okay.

Several of the girls were at the Myer S/S '15 launch including Ashton, Cassi, Abbie, Talisa and Brooke.  Here are pics of Shanali

• Love 1

I read a casting thing out of Australia where Alex Perry said he voted a girl through just because he knew Charlotte would've loved her. Given that the chemistry between Charlotte and Alex is probably what made AUSNTM pretty great tv and that they were great friends, it made me smile. It blew my mind when I read the reports that the producers had fired Charlotte from the show before she died. The type of girls they choose makes it great fashion wise, but Charlotte and Alex make it great tv wise. 

Jonathan Pease's dislike of Alice basically made him dead to me. I agree Josh was by far the best. He was charming, funny and didn't seem to have a "hey, look at me!" agenda. Didier does nothing but say "how much do you want it?" and be distracting. JenBot has no personality. 

I remember reading on some blog somewhere where it was like who won AUSNTM? And it's "Oh, some brunette white girl." Because every year, save for Alice, that's who it is. Other than Shanali, my other fav last year was Abbie. But she's blonde, so there is no way she'd win. 

Edited by Pogojoco

Unfortunately, the news isn't "Tozzi replaces Cohen." I've never seen "The Face Australia" so she might also be annoying, but given that Cohen is the most annoying person on earth, I doubt she can top him. Bring back Josh!!!!