Type keyword(s) to search

Adalind Schade: If We Didn't Know Any Better.....She'd Still Be the Worst

Actionmage

I'm guessing here, but I think the writers are trying to set up Adalind as Nick's archenemy.  This fails on many counts....

• She's pretty stupid to be anyone's archenemy
  • The show doesn't need Nick to have an archenemy
  • If they really wanted Nick to have an enemy--or at least someone in opposition for him--Renard is a much, much better choice.
  • Love 4

I'm so sick of Adalind. I really was hoping Juliette was going to kill her. She started off as an interesting character in season 1. But then they ruined it by dragging out her getting her powers back, the baby and all the Royal stuff. Honestly it seems like they didn't know what to do with her since the end of season 1. She doesn't fit in the show at all and I all ways fast forward her scenes if there isn't any other main characters in it. The fact that this far I don't feel like I missed anything is a problem. I really hope at the end of the season they finally kill her off!

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

I really hope that the producers/writers listen to the fans.  This is not the only place where people rail against Adalind, and everyone has the same problem with her: she, and her storylines, no longer belong in the show.

I don't think that writers should strive to always give the fans what they want.  Let's face it, that would make things very dull very quickly.  Shows need to have unlikable characters--they're called villains.  However, this isn't really the case with Adalind.  It's not that people dislike her (they do, but that's not the point), but they find her a distraction.  When that happens it isn't a case of fans being disappointed with a plot line that didn't turn out as they would have liked.  It's a case of fans switching the channel.

As for not giving the viewers exactly what they want, I agree that it would be satisfying for Nick or Juliette to kill Adalind.  However, I think it would be far more interesting if Renard did it.

Man, Claire Coffee can sure rock a "Ooooookay, Creepy Man of Power; keep talkin' and I'll just nod" look. Sadly, she has an inkling as to how BSC his Highness and knew sprinting to Renard wasn't going to help.

It finally dawned on me why Adalind thinks she can convince anybody else that he's her Baby Daddy - This one's a non-royal hybrid baby, so it's got a normal gestation rate.  But if it's Viktor's, as she alleged, there'd be an accelerated gestation, right?  Wasn't Diana NOT a nine-month baby?

It finally dawned on me why Adalind thinks she can convince anybody else that he's her Baby Daddy - This one's a non-royal hybrid baby, so it's got a normal gestation rate.  But if it's Viktor's, as she alleged, there'd be an accelerated gestation, right?  Wasn't Diana NOT a nine-month baby?

It is so hard to tell with this show how time passes.  If we want to be literal about this, I think someone figured out Adalind was only pregnant like 7 months with Diana.  However, if we want to stay literal, there is absolutely no way Renard is Diana's father since Adalind had a positive pregnancy test within 24 hours of sleeping with Renard (and at least a couple weeks since sleeping with Eric).  

Personally, I don't think we can read too much into Diana's gestation...right before she was born everyone (the royals, Renard) seemed to know the time was near, so my guess is that it was close to 9 months in Grimm time.

Because the actress is and pretty much no other reason.

Or, because they effed their timeline and included a Christmas episode. So depending on which in-show events that indicate chronology you believe, it's either been about 3 months, or 10.

• Love 1

I feel Adalind could have been on the show "I didn't know I was pregnant" because of how much she was showing in this episode and just found out about it. I know it's really the actress but you'd think they would hide it better. Of course if they could do that the whole stupid story wouldn't have to happen.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

If I had to choose a bratty hexenbeast to keep on the show and kill off the other, Adalind would get my vote. I think Clair Coffe is a much better actress than Bitsie T.

I've always hated Adalind but I agree. She at least has been written consistently.

Neither have been written consistently- but I feel bad for Claire Coffee since she's clearly got more chops than Bitsie Tulloch, and other than the albatross of plotlines they sometimes dump on her she's a fine character.  Bitsie however is really just a wooden actress, and only so much of that is the writing.

If they could do it all over again, they should have (as someone somewhere mentioned) cast Claire as the love interest for the Grimm, and gaunt Bitsie as the scheming witch.  Failing that, they should have just cemented Adalind as a "Big Bad" hexenbiest out for revenge from season 2 on, instead of wavering between her character as dangerous and as laughably incompetent. 

• Love 1

If they could do it all over again, they should have (as someone somewhere mentioned) cast Claire as the love interest for the Grimm, and gaunt Bitsie as the scheming witch.

I know I did and others may have as well

• Love 1

So I missed the last 2 seasons and have read some synopsis of season 4, is Adalind still a Wesen? I know she lost it and then gained it back, but did she lose it again in season 4?

Edited by bluvelvet

So I missed the last 2 seasons and have read some synopsis of season 4, is Adalind still a Wesen? I know she lost it and then gained it back, but did she lose it again in season 4?

Okay,to be fair, you missed a lot.

I'm going to spoilerize this...they aren't actually spoilers since they happened in seasons 3 and 4, they'll be spoilers to you and I want you to have the choice to read it or not.

Adalind conceived a child with either Eric or Sean Renard (probably Sean), as you know, in season 2.  In order to get her powers back, she sold her child to a hexenbiest named Stefania, who was working basically as a middleman to the royals.  Shortly before Adalind gave birth, a resistance agent/Adonis working with Renard helped her to sneak out of Vienna and into the forest, where he delivered her daughter, Diana.  It was in the process of the birth that Adalind regained all of her powers.

A day or so after Diana is born, Meisner gets her to a pick up point where someone else is to take her someplace safe.  That someone else ends up being Kelly Burkhart, although Adalind doesn't know who she is quite yet.  Because the Verrat had almost captured them all at the pick up point, Kelly makes the decision to change the plan and takes Adalind to the one place she'll be safe--Nick's house.

When they show up (interrupting Nick's 2nd attempt to propose to Juliette), Nick and Juliette want to kick Adalind and Diana to the curb but Kelly convinces them to help with the situation. Then Adalind runs to Renard, so he's involved. Oh, and the Verrat are in town and after them...of course!  Viktor is also on his way to Portland.  Someone comes up with a plan that doesn't include Adalind--it is never clear who, but I think it is Kelly and Renard--where Renard gives Diana to the the Royals, but then Renard, Kelly, Hank, Nick, and Monroe pose as the Resistance and kidnap her back and then Kelly leaves town with Diana to keep her safe.

Adalind is, of course, very upset that her child is gone missing and she thinks that the Royals have her.  She contacts them and they tell her that she can have Diana back if she de-Grimms Nick.  So, Adalind concocts some Polyjuice Potion to make herself look like Juliette and deceives Nick in order to rape him, which somehow takes his Grimmness (just go with it....)  This all happens on Monroe and Rosalee's wedding day, which is IN THE SPRING (only important because it shows why this baby plot is ridiculous).  Some other not so great stuff happens on that day, but let's stick to Adalind...and Nick...and Juliette...

Adalind goes back to Europe, gets stuck in a some sort of LSD-induced prison, and then is released by Viktor, who admits they don't have Diana, but are willing to work with Adalind to find her....

Back to Portland....

Nick's not a Grimm and he and Juliette are sort of wishy-washy on whether or not he should even try to be a Grimm again and then...the Wesen KKK go after Monroe and Rosalee.   Nick realizes that he has to be a Grimm again and the only way that can happen is if Renard's mother makes up the polyjuice potion again, or at least a reversal of it, Juliette takes it, becomes Adalind and has sex with Nick.  (For the record, I'm still not sure exactly how this worked because Adalind needed something with Juliette's DNA--she broke into their house and took some of her hair out of her brush--to make her potion, but Elizabeth didn't have any of Adalind's DNA....)  There are, of course, side-effects to this--but why on earth would Nick and Juliette ever consider to ask WHAT those side effects are.

Anyway, they do the deed...and Juliette starts having headaches and nausea.  AT CHRISTMAS (so, at least 6 months after Adalind raped Nick), Juliette starts taking pregnancy tests that all are negative.  Then, one night later, Juliette woges into a Hexenbiest, although she doesn't tell Nick....yet. Then crap happens which really isn't important to this particular story line, except that it probably took a month or so of Grimm time, so we're at least in January now.

Adalind and Viktor realize that Nick and gang are related to Diana's disappearance, so they return to Portland.  And Adalind decides to pay Juliette a visit--and then kidnap her to force Nick to tell her where Kelly and Diana are.  Hexenbiest Juliette comically kicks Hexenbiest Adalind's ass (which leads to Juliette revealing herself to Nick and then things just sort of implode very, very badly).  Juliette then decides to be a raging psychotic hexenbiest hell bent on killing Adalind (and Nick, and Monroe, and Rosalee, and Hank--who really doesn't have anything to do with any of this, and random people in bars).  

The Grimm world is at least in January, probably February at this point...and Adalind discovers that she's pregnant with Nick's child from when she raped him...at least 8 months before.  So, um, yeah....

Viktor is out and Kenneth is in--all you need to know is that Kenneth is ruthless.  Adalind realizes that Juliette is out to kill her, so she decides to go to Nick for help.  To do this, she tells him that she's pregnant with his child (and, again, wouldn't any sane person a) be able to do math and/or b) demand a paternity test?) and she didn't know that Juliette would turn into a hexenbiest (which is a lie, because right after Juliette kicked the crap out of Adalind, Adalind said to Renard something along the lines, "Juliette's a hexenbiest...that mean's Nick's a Grimm again.") BUT she knows how to "cure" Juliette.

It's not actually a cure--it's a supression of powers--and it entails boiling up and distilling bits of pieces of Adalind's mother's corpse and drinking the, what?, liquor? Rosalee does all this and then Adalind "tests" the potion on herself.... (which apparently has no effect on her unborn child....)

...and that's where Adalind stands right now with her powers.  She's still technically a hexenbiest, but she can't use her powers.  We don't know if this is permanent or not or if it can be reversed or not.  Personally, if we are stuck with Adalind for yet another season, I really hope it isn't permanent.  Adalind is only interesting when she's evil....

• Love 3

Taken from the Juliette thread...

I feel the same about Coffee.  She can act, so I want to root for her character and would want Adalind to continue to be a part of Grimm.  She was great in S1.

However, the writers have screwed her.  She has done unforgivable things, so there's no way that she can be transformed into a good guy who'll play house with her rape victim.  However, she was also portrayed as a bumbling bad guy.  I just don't think there's anything left for the character.  What is left for the writers to try?  Where is her place on Grimm if she's not an adversary or an ally?

If she was a minor character who works for the Resistance with Meisner, maybe she has a tangential place on Grimm.  At this point, her role is to play Odd Couple with Nick and to bring relationship angst and drama to the hero.

I actually think that, in this new Grimm world, they COULD make Adalind a viable character...if they had the balls to do so.  She would have to NOT LIVE WITH NICK for sure.  We're stuck with baby Kelly now so there would have to be some...um...interaction between the two of them, but the writers have GOT to give up this Norman Rockwell wet dream they have for Nick and Adalind.

And something would have to happen...something that would really draw a line between the two.  Something like, oh I don't know, finding out that her son is not her son and Nick deciding that she isn't the mother for the son that he wants (I'm just saying...it would work and a lot of people are expecting it anyway.  And, if all the signs are wrong and Juliette really is dead, you could STILL have this story line).  Now, Adalind has lost 2 babies (assuming she doesn't get Diana back--which IS a big assumption because of Meisner) and now she's on the warpath and Nick is enemy #1.

I'm not saying that exactly is what I would like to see...but I WOULD like to see something that will push her back to the dark side and make all this conflict with Nick which, really, hasn't ever been more than spite, worthwhile.  And she needs to be a worthy enemy--no more of these ridiculous set ups where Nick could kill her, but doesn't.  They should be evenly matched and Nick should "lose" now and then (and then end the series with him finally killing her).  

If there is any hope for Adalind, it is only as a villain and a nemesis.

• Love 1

I have always liked Adalind, however I like Hexenbiest Adalind not neutered Adalind and from the little I saw of her in the season premiere, she seems neutered. I don't mind her being a gray character though, neither villain nor good guy.

Even if the baby was biologically Juliette's, Adalind would still be the birth mother - so the baby would have 2 mothers

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 1

Even if the baby was biologically Juliette's, Adalind would still be the birth mother - so the baby would have 2 mothers

Which is totally the kind of crap this show would put up, especially if Juliette is still alive.

But, again, I just used that above scenario because it seems likely.  If the show runners and writers could come up with something that would really divide Nick and Adalind and push Adalind back to the dark, or even gray side, that was completely unexpected (yes, I do crack myself up sometimes), I'd be up for that.

• Love 2

I just can't believe how badly the writers handled Claire Coffee's pregnancy on the show. Writing an actress pregnancy into a show is exactly what lazy writers on soap operas do. They should have just given Coffee a paid vacation like they did with Bree Turner with her pregnancy in season two.

I just can't believe how badly the writers handled Claire Coffee's pregnancy on the show. Writing an actress pregnancy into a show is exactly what lazy writers on soap operas do. They should have just given Coffee a paid vacation like they did with Bree Turner with her pregnancy in season two.

Agree 100%...plus they did it BADLY!  Anyone can add and realize that there is no way that this is Nick's baby by the rules of arithmetic (Adalind would about been at least 6-7 months pregnant when she found out...and about 12 months pregnant when she gave birth). And the continuity didn't work either--she was very clearly not pregnant when Juliette kicked her ass (thanks to the stunt double for that), found out she was pregnant in the next episode, and clearly in need for 3rd trimester maternity clothes in the next.

That's what gets me...they would rather go for the sensational at the expense of quality.

• Love 3

That's what gets me...they would rather go for the sensational at the expense of quality.

And it's not even sensational, it's trite, tired and lame.  Having an oops pregnancy, that as you point out, can't even be mathematically possible, is the oldest damn trick in the book.  Bugs me no end, is a big mistake whenever it's used.  And once a baby is born on t.v., it's a non-issue, it becomes wallpaper.  Or never seen.

• Love 2
And something would have to happen...something that would really draw a line between the two.  Something like, oh I don't know, finding out that her son is not her son and Nick deciding that she isn't the mother for the son that he wants (I'm just saying...it would work and a lot of people are expecting it anyway.  And, if all the signs are wrong and Juliette really is dead, you could STILL have this story line).  Now, Adalind has lost 2 babies (assuming she doesn't get Diana back--which IS a big assumption because of Meisner) and now she's on the warpath and Nick is enemy #1.

I can't imagine this show would go down the path of Adalind losing two children.  That's the mess that the writers have created for the audience, and they have no idea how to correct it. 

Somehow, the writers will be retconning Adalind.  Retconning a character is a lazy way out, and it diminishes the character.  XMan Jean Grey was retconned a bunch of times, and the Jean Grey/Phoenix storyline became such a mess.

I'm not saying that exactly is what I would like to see...but I WOULD like to see something that will push her back to the dark side and make all this conflict with Nick which, really, hasn't ever been more than spite, worthwhile.  And she needs to be a worthy enemy--no more of these ridiculous set ups where Nick could kill her, but doesn't.  They should be evenly matched and Nick should "lose" now and then (and then end the series with him finally killing her). 

If there is any hope for Adalind, it is only as a villain and a nemesis.

Even when Adalind was a villain, she was inept.  It would be difficult to see her as a daunting villain from Nick's rogue gallery when she was a bumbling villain in the past.  As a hexenbiest, she couldn't even figure out how to open a book. 

When Juliette became the most powerful hexenbiest of all time, i was rolling my eyes.  For one reason, it seemed to happen in a very short period of time. 

If Adalind became a better villain, it should be a longer process than becoming the Joker overnight.  At this point, I don't know if I have the tolerance to wait for her transformation from bumbling villain to the Joker--or at least Harley Quinn--in a reasonable fashion.

I do wish that she stayed a villain.  If the writers made her a great villain, there would be a reason for her on Grimm. 

At this point, the writers should have Adalind cut her ties with Nick and focus on her relationship with Meisner.  They had great chemistry and developed a relationship as they were running around Europe.

I really like Coffee, who's a good actress.  However, it's harder and harder to justify her being on Grimm because of how the writers screwed her character.

Edited by spaulding

I can't imagine this show would go down the path of Adalind losing two children.  That's the mess that the writers have created for the audience, and they have no idea how to correct it. 

Somehow, the writers will be retconning Adalind.  Retconning a character is a lazy way out, and it diminishes the character.  XMan Jean Grey was retconned a bunch of times, and the Jean Grey/Phoenix storyline became such a mess.

Even when Adalind was a villain, she was inept.  It would be difficult to see her as a daunting villain from Nick's rogue gallery when she was a bumbling villain in the past.  As a hexenbiest, she couldn't even figure out how to open a book. 

When Juliette became the most powerful hexenbiest of all time, i was rolling my eyes.  For one reason, it seemed to happen in a very short period of time. 

If Adalind became a better villain, it should be a longer process than becoming the Joker overnight.  At this point, I don't know if I have the tolerance to wait for her transformation from bumbling villain to the Joker--or at least Harley Quinn--in a reasonable fashion.

I do wish that she stayed a villain.  If the writers made her a great villain, there would be a reason for her on Grimm. 

At this point, the writers should have Adalind cut her ties with Nick and focus on her relationship with Meisner.  They had great chemistry and developed a relationship as they were running around Europe.

I really like Coffee, who's a good actress.  However, it's harder and harder to justify her being on Grimm because of how the writers screwed her character.

This is what I'm saying.  If they want this show to last past this season, they really only have 2 choices with Adalind.

1 - Kill her off (Which, for the record, I'd be all for..and I think this would by far be the most "do-able" for this creative team)

2 - Make her an actual villain.  Not the sorta/kinda villain she's been for the past 4 year.  They need her to be evil...and capable...and skilled. She should be an equal nemesis for Nick--not so good that she'd kill him, but good enough that he can't kill her.  *She* needs to be the one to call the shots--not the royals, not the Wesen gangs of Portland, not Renard (although, if she pulled him into this and used him as he used her in season 1, that could be interesting).  I have no doubt that Claire Coffee could pull this off.  But, at the same time, I have no confidence that the creative team could.

This is what I'm saying.  If they want this show to last past this season, they really only have 2 choices with Adalind.

1 - Kill her off (Which, for the record, I'd be all for..and I think this would by far be the most "do-able" for this creative team)

2 - Make her an actual villain.  Not the sorta/kinda villain she's been for the past 4 year.  They need her to be evil...and capable...and skilled. She should be an equal nemesis for Nick--not so good that she'd kill him, but good enough that he can't kill her.  *She* needs to be the one to call the shots--not the royals, not the Wesen gangs of Portland, not Renard (although, if she pulled him into this and used him as he used her in season 1, that could be interesting).  I have no doubt that Claire Coffee could pull this off.  But, at the same time, I have no confidence that the creative team could.

Kill her off is the best way, even though she is a mommy.  They killed Kelly (or not), they killed Adalind's mother, they can off her, too.  I don't think the villainification you describe could happen, at least not believably, under any creative team.  It would mean the team was the opposite of creative.  She has not ever been portrayed as capable of calling any shots, much less with the royals who have always played her like a violin, or Renard or Nick, except under the sheets.  No smarts required there.  She hasn't had much interaction with Wesen, they've failed to establish power hierarchy there at all.  She does stunts with potions and cats, I'm surprised she even passed the bar exam.  Having made her so bumbling and lacking in non-sex-related strategy has made it pretty hard to change her in mid-stream into a real villain.

• Love 1

Kill her off is the best way, even though she is a mommy.  

Considering all the work they've gone to make Nick the Daddy and to make him completely responsible for the rape baby and the rapist, I don't think her mom status should make her immune to an early demise.

• Love 1
This is what I'm saying.  If they want this show to last past this season, they really only have 2 choices with Adalind.

I'm sorry for the confusion.  I agree with what you're saying about Adalind.

ShadowFacts explained it better than I did.

Having made her so bumbling and lacking in non-sex-related strategy has made it pretty hard to change her in mid-stream into a real villain.

Despite the possibilities with Adalind, the writers screwed the character.  Personally, I don't know what else to do with her.

I don't think the villainification you describe could happen, at least not believably, under any creative team.

I wish Coffee has something better to do on this show. 

I wish Coffee has something better to do on this show. 

At this point, I wish they would just get rid of Adalind so that Claire Coffee could do something else.  She's an actress I would follow from role to role and she's good enough to captain her own show.  She's just wasted here.

I will say that I amazed that with a day or two of having a C-section, she looks amazing in those tight pants, but how uncomfortable would they be on a woman who just gave birth in any way, shape or form? I don't think the male writers or the costumers have any idea about birthin' babies.

• Love 1

I will say that I amazed that with a day or two of having a C-section, she looks amazing in those tight pants, but how uncomfortable would they be on a woman who just gave birth in any way, shape or form? I don't think the male writers or the costumers have any idea about birthin' babies.

She wouldn't have been climbing stairs, either and why would she have to since Monroe and Rosalee set up everything downstairs.  Her hair held up pretty well, too. 

• Love 2

The last time Adalind wasn't a Hexenbiest, she gave Juliette the cat-scratch poison to put her in a coma from which Renard had to wake her, resulting in the amnesia about Nick and the bizarro obsession between Renard and Juliette. Meanwhile, she slept with both Renard and his brother to get herself knocked up, and then used the baby as a bargaining chip with the royals and sold it to the gypsies so she could get her powers back via bloody rituals.

So not being a Hexenbiest doesn't change all that much for Adalind.

No, it doesn't.  She may have been speaking from the heart with Rosalee in this last episode, and heightened oxytocin may be involved, or more likely, she is the same old witch she's always been.  Let's face it, domesticated, nice Portland mama Adalind is not what anyone wants to watch.  IF she has to be in the show, it has to be as something different from that.  I bet by the time the suppression wears off, she will have changed her tune or more suppression won't be possible.  Maybe this time it will be in her interest to align herself with Nick and friends.  But I wouldn't really like her changing teams, either.  She's better off gone, but that doesn't look like where they are going.

No, it doesn't.  She may have been speaking from the heart with Rosalee in this last episode, and heightened oxytocin may be involved, or more likely, she is the same old witch she's always been.  Let's face it, domesticated, nice Portland mama Adalind is not what anyone wants to watch.  IF she has to be in the show, it has to be as something different from that.  I bet by the time the suppression wears off, she will have changed her tune or more suppression won't be possible.  Maybe this time it will be in her interest to align herself with Nick and friends.  But I wouldn't really like her changing teams, either.  She's better off gone, but that doesn't look like where they are going.

The only way they can make that whole thing palatable to me is if it turns out that this was all a huge manipulation on Adalind's part.  Make friends with everyone--especially Rosalee (who, by the way, is actually starting to really annoy me.  I never thought I would say that) so that when the shit hits the fan with Nick, HE is the on who is isolated.

I doubt that is what will happen because, well, this creative team is pretty terrible, but there you go.

• Love 1

They wrote themselves into a corner with that too. As they postpone the reveal of Adalind's game, they lose the viewers who hate her or her and Nick together, but when (if, of course) they reveal it, they alienate the viewers that did like this shit - even more so if Juliette comes back. I normally wouldn't say that writers should consider the audience reaction too much when developing story lines, but... wtf is the Grimm team thinking?

Despite the possibilities with Adalind, the writers screwed the character.  Personally, I don't know what else to do with her.

They don't know what to do with her either, as evidenced by her entire current story and characterization being dictated by the real life pregnancy of the actress despite already having had a pregnancy story line for her the previous season. She was introduced as a villain who worked with Renard, but at this point she spent more screen time being pregnant than not. Do the writers even remember they could write different stuff for her?

Edited by Crim
  • Love 2

They wrote themselves into a corner with that too. As they postpone the reveal of Adalind's game, they lose the viewers who hate her or her and Nick together, but when (if, of course) they reveal it, they alienate the viewers that did like this shit - even more so if Juliette comes back. I normally wouldn't say that writers should consider the audience reaction too much when developing story lines, but... wtf is the Grimm team thinking?

They don't know what to do with her either, as evidenced by her entire current story and characterization being dictated by the real life pregnancy of the actress despite already having had a pregnancy story line for her the previous season. She was introduced as a villain who worked with Renard, but at this point she spent more screen time being pregnant than not. Do the writers even remember they could write different stuff for her?

Reply in the writing thread...

I agree. I just had some trouble with them kind of tossing aside what Nick did to Adalind.

Adalind is responsible for her behavior, and she doesn't get a pass for her bad stuff. 

I agree that Nick seems to get a pass for forcing Adalind on the ground.  He doesn't get to play hero for doing that. 

If people want to criticize Adalind for her behavior, OK.  But she has also been manipulated by men.  Renard and the male Royals.  They don't get a pass for how they treated Adalind.  Locking her in dungeon until she becomes submissive isn't OK. 

[i'll admit that Renard mindfucking Adalind was kinda hot.  <I'll take the criticism.>  But it was still bad behavior on Renard's part.]

Sweet Tooth what do you mean what Nick did to Adalind? Are you referring to Season one when Nick took her powers away? I don't think the two situations are the same. Adalind knew a Grimm could take her powers in that manner as her mother and Renaud told her it could happen. She caused her downfall by trying to kill Hank Nick's best friend. Nick had no idea she could transform into Juliette and he had no way to know that he was sleeping with Adalind.

I just can't anymore. I hate Adalind with the heat from a billion suns. From season 2 to now the show has been plagued with this character that does nothing but waste all of our times with her useless plots. The only way I can deal with her scenes now is if I fast forward any scene where she isn't with a main character.

This character is one of the biggest examples of a creator's pet.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorsPet

The only time Adalind was used correctly was season one, which she was a hired guy by Renard. I still don't know why the writers thought it was necessary to bring her back. Season two was somewhat fine since she appeared about as much as the first season. Season three was when her stupid subplots began to take over culminating in this season's shark jumping Adalind living with Nick plot.

After tormenting our heroes for years, she gets rewarded with a free pass, baby, bodyguard, financial support from her victim, gets to sleep on a big bed next to that same victim, and even a maybe invite back to her former job?

The only thing is she entitled to is child support, otherwise Nick shouldn't have anything to do with her. Also a lawyer she makes way more than him anyway. Nick got completely screwed now that he is shackled to this woman for the next 18 years.

It's a shame Nick doesn't have a black female best friend screaming into his ear "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?".

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 3
I read something before this season started, I read an interview with one of the writers. I can't remember where I read it, but it said that Juliette is dead. Period. So I didn't think anything more about it until now. She died in Nicks arms- but since she's a Hexenbiest, she can be brought back. I do hope that she does come back for 1 reason: to FINALLY finish off Adalind.

Juliette was good at one time. I was glad to hear Rosalee talk about that.

I was wondering why Rosalee didn't call the Wesen Council about those kids too. She was so worried about them & surprised that they had no idea they were wesen.There has to be a good reason she didn't call. I'm guessing we won't see the last of those kids though.... But I guess we'll see.

I wonder if the writers were high when they wrote this season. They had to have been. How could they possibly expect us to believe that Adalind could name that kid Kelly & everything would be forgotten?!? She has taken everyone & everything Nick loved off of him. Almost killed Hank & Wu. Since the beginning, everything Adalind did, every move she made, was for her- to get what she wanted. Now all of a sudden, she's different- she's nice? I don't believe the Hexenbiest makes a person evil, I think it brings out the evil already there. I think it just kind of heightens emotions- especially the bad ones. Even when Adalind lost her powers, she was still evil. Now, she's not. It's laughable. It's all laughable.

(Taken from the 5.03 thread)

To be fair to Adalind (did I really just type that???), I don't think we can blame her for Wu.  I mean, Wu was told not to eat the cookie and then he stole it.  Yeah, bad stuff happened, but you should never steal cookies.  Of course, Hank shouldn't have left it on his desk either.  Ack!  I'm just saying I'm willing to give Adalind a pass on that one thing, and only that one thing.

I have a, what?, hope I guess is the best word, that this is how it will play out:

Adalind is still very much a hexenbiest.  When she drank the corpse juice, we saw the biest sort of come after her and then go back in.  Then, she tried to use her powers to have a glass fly across the room.  The glass shook a bit, but nothing happened other than Adalind made a bunch of faces.

So....what if she faked it all?  What if she has been a hexenbiest this whole time and is using her mind-control powers (a point was made about these powers 3 times in the last half of season 4: When Nick went to see Henrietta, when Adalind popped into Renard's car and got him to agree to work with her--again--with his only response being "Damn, you're good", and then when Juliette was in the jail cell and Nick went to visit her) on everyone to basically get them to do whatever she wants?

Honestly, I doubt that is the case...but I'm telling myself it is...at least until I feel I can watch this show again or until it is canceled...whichever comes first.

• Love 1

So....what if she faked it all?  What if she has been a hexenbiest this whole time and is using her mind-control powers (a point was made about these powers 3 times in the last half of season 4: When Nick went to see Henrietta, when Adalind popped into Renard's car and got him to agree to work with her--again--with his only response being "Damn, you're good", and then when Juliette was in the jail cell and Nick went to visit her) on everyone to basically get them to do whatever she wants?

Honestly, I doubt that is the case...but I'm telling myself it is...at least until I feel I can watch this show again or until it is canceled...whichever comes first.

Even if it is not the case that she is faking everyone out, which she certainly could be, absolutely no way that this tiger has changed her stripes.  She cares about herself first, last and always.  Someone needs to feed her a whole lot of salsa, stat.

Even if it is not the case that she is faking everyone out, which she certainly could be, absolutely no way that this tiger has changed her stripes.  She cares about herself first, last and always.  Someone needs to feed her a whole lot of salsa, stat.

Oh, I agree completely.  She is just as evil as she has always been--hence all the faking.  If that is the case (which, I think we can all agree, it is not--because that would make sense), there needs to be some scene where it all comes out.

There also would need to be some scene that would clue in the audience that Adalind was up to this--the figurative sidewink, so to say.  I think it is pretty damn clear why so many people are dropping this show like dirty underwear and, if the writers were trying have Adalind pull the wool over everyone's eyes, they needed to give the audience SOMETHING to let them know that things are not what they seem (so, you know, THEY WOULD TUNE IN AGAIN!).  But, there has been none of that.  So either the creative team wants us to take all this as they are giving it to us...or they are killing this show because they are too stupid to know how to interact with their viewers.

• Love 2

We can still hope, I guess, that some twist with Adalind is in store.  Because short of OtterMommy's idea that old Addy is using hexie mind control, what else could explain Nick's having gone brain dead?  She tried to kill the aunt who raised him for starters, we all know her whole laundry list of treachery after that.  He could maybe forgive, but never, ever trust such a person, let alone get all up-close and personal.  Nobody's buying that.  The writers have to know that.  Unless they have really gone around the bend.

• Love 1

what else could explain Nick's having gone brain dead?  She tried to kill the aunt who raised him for starters, we all know her whole laundry list of treachery after that.  He could maybe forgive, but never, ever trust such a person, let alone get all up-close and personal.  Nobody's buying that.  The writers have to know that.  Unless they have really gone around the bend.

Nick trusts Renard and gets up-close and personal with him and Renard was the guy who ordered Adalind to kill the aunt. If Nick can forgive and forget with the Captain, I don't think it's out of character for him to forgive and forget with Adalind.

Nick trusts Renard and gets up-close and personal with him and Renard was the guy who ordered Adalind to kill the aunt. If Nick can forgive and forget with the Captain, I don't think it's out of character for him to forgive and forget with Adalind.

Nick has said several times that he doesn't trust Renard.  Now, granted, he certainly acts like he does--but the writer are trying to keep that door open just in case they need to use Renard for something.  Because, God forbid they actually invest any time or effort into that character.

Also, making a list of who did what to Nick, Adalind's list is MUCH longer-and everything that shows up on Renard's list also shows up on Adalind's.  And, frankly, Renard has never done anything directly to Nick--yes, he tried to have Adalind kill Marie but that was against Marie, not Nick.  He also had Adalind poison and rape Hank--yeah, okay, that was bad-I'll give you that (but do Nick and Hank even KNOW that Renard was behind that?)  Beyond that, Renard has always been in Nick's corner, even if it was for his own selfish desires.  Adalind, on the other hand, has gone directly against Nick and, more than once.  She tried to kill Juliette out of spite, she then tried to use Juliette to force Nick's hand to get her to spill secrets about him, and--of course--she raped him.  Whether or not someone put her up to it or whether it was for "revenge" is irrelevant in comparing her actions to Renard's.  

ETA: Unlike Adalind, Renard has also acted to protect or save Nick.  He was part of the gang that tracked down Zombie Nick and then he tampered with the evidence so that it could not be traced back to Nick.  He threatened the Musai to never come back (and that scene was AWESOME) and, if it weren't for Ponyboy, he would have been able to save Nick from losing his Grimmness after Adalind raped him.  And what has Adalind done for Nick?

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

Once Nick and Renard had their blowout in season 2, the two moved on and gradually rebuilt their trust.  However, Renard should kicked Juliette out of his house instead of having sex with the woman.

Adalind has done squat to redeem herself where Nick, Hank, Wu and Juliette are concerned.   If Nick rescued Diana, Adalind would have used that kid to get back at Nik, Renard, Hank, Rosalie, and Monroe.

• Love 1

Once Nick and Renard had their blowout in season 2, the two moved on and gradually rebuilt their trust.  However, Renard should kicked Juliette out of his house instead of having sex with the woman.

Replying in the Renard thread....

This whole Adalind raising Nick's baby reminds me of real life teen girls that purposely get pregnant to keep their boyfriends as financial support. It's way too creepy for me to get behind.

Adalind reminds me of Sylar from Heroes.

Both Grimm and Heroes have a villain from the first season that was only used correctly in the first season, but the writers loved them so much that both character were brought back for stupid idiotic plots that made no sense, while other more interesting characters were killed off or marginalized.

Just imagine how much more screentime we would have for Monore, Rosalee, Hank and Wu if only Adalind didn't take away much massive amounts of screentime away from them with her pointless sopa opera tier baby plots evert season. Plots that have gone nowhere. It is obvious the writers have no idea what to do with Diana, since they have put her on a bus (and helicopter) to leave Portland twice now. It's so ridiculous that Adalind outlasted Eric, Viktor, and Kenneth when those three were suppose to Big Bads.

Heroes also tried making Sylar good even though it make zero sense just to keep the character around, and Heroes was promptly canceled at the end of its fourth season. At that point, it had become mercy killing by NBC.

The writers' weird obsession to keep Adalind on the show at any cost is awful, culminating in this season's terrible Adalind living with Nick disaster of a plot. That's why season one and two of Grimm are my favorites since they are actually about Nick, not Adalind adventures in motherhood and losing her power then regaining her powers on repeat with guest star Nick Burkhardt.

• Love 2

The writers' weird obsession to keep Adalind on the show at any cost is awful, culminating in this season's terrible Adalind living with Nick disaster of a plot. That's why season one and two of Grimm are my favorites since they are actually about Nick, not Adalind adventures in motherhood and losing her power then regaining her powers on repeat with guest star Nick Burkhardt.

I really wish the creative team read this board.  Adalind IS going to be the death of this show--the question is how soon.

Remember when we all thought Juliette was dull?  I'm not saying she wasn't, but she's in good company now....

• Love 1