Type keyword(s) to search

Reverse chronology is used to tell the story of Tony's return trip to South Korea after a 10-year absence. He experiences the nuances of hyper-modern Seoul which has its sights set on becoming the world's top exporter of popular culture. Food options include Korean fried chicken, and a vintage Korean "army" stew, budae jjigae, with Spam, canned baked beans, frankfurters, ramen noodles and Kimchi.

Promo:

(edited)

The backwards aspect of this episode annoyed me. I liked Memento and even the backwards episode of Seinfeld but for me the key to backwards editing (or in medias res when I am reading) is that the events have to be interesting enough for me to want to know what preceded it or how we got there. I am all for watching Tony eat food but there wasn't an interesting enough narrative to justify the backwards editing of this episode. I also hated every time they spliced together an endless stream of quotes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

If anyone ever opens the Museum of 3 AM Munchie Food, that's going to have its own wing.

I was massively sick with a bad cold last year and I managed to make a huge pot of budae jjigae which I proceeded to eat for every meal for the next two days. I have never killed a virus so effectively!

I was massively sick with a bad cold last year and I managed to make a huge pot of budae jjigae which I proceeded to eat for every meal for the next two days. I have never killed a virus so effectively!

During the big bird flu scare, they managed to cure chickens who had it by feeding them kimchi. Korean food is mighty stuff.

This was the first Bourdain show I didn't like very much.  I don't think it was the backward regression.  I think it was all the gaming in the show - boring for me.  I still love Anthony and got a kick out of seeing him really blasted!