Type keyword(s) to search

Emma Swan: 1000% done with your infuriating optimism

• Start Topic

Favorite character. While I enjoy the others, it's her journey and happily ever after that I'm most invested in.

Jennifer can do the comedy seemlessly but it's those emotional beats that feel like a punch to the gut every time.

My girl has a thread! Yay!

Yes, Emma's my girl. Shush. It's her story I'm watching for, and I'm telling you, if this show does not end with Emma having all the love in the world that any one person could have, the showrunners and I are going to have some problems to discuss.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 7
(edited)
Favorite character. While I enjoy the others, it's her journey and happily ever after that I'm most invested in.  
Jennifer can do the comedy seemlessly but it's those emotional beats that feel like a punch to the gut every time.

Same here,  S7WC92, I mean, Emma (BTW - really weird calling you by your new screen name, especially in the "Emma" thread, heehee).

I'm totally Team Emma, so I went ahead and made her topic thread before some smart[er]ass did ;)

Yes, Emma's my girl. Shush.

Well, fine. But just as long as you're willing to share, Dani-Ellie... :D 

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 1

I agree with you all. I sincerely hope that in the end, after all the realm-hopping that is very likely going to ensue for however long the show lasts, Emma manages to get her happy ending with a whole family.

Also, this just came to mind and it might be a little overkill, but how'd it go down with everyone if Emma's memories were once again rewritten to never have been cursed at all (not sure how, by whom or to what end)? Considering she (and probably soon, Henry as well) joined the We Are Both parade, would that be too much or would it be a way to get more drama from her character (those season-long arcs DO need something to stand on) and thus make an eventual all-out happy ending all the better?

You know, I have to say that Emma has really grown on me since S1 ended. Throughout most of S1, I could really take or leave her--I was far more engaged by the fairybacks in general and Snow, Charming, and Rumpel in particular. I liked the Emma/Henry relationship, but didn't really care for either Emma or Henry themselves, if that makes sense. But I think the Emma character (and Jennifer Morrison as an actress) has been helped immeasurably by finally being "in the know" once S2 started, and--perhaps because she was one of the few characters that escaped S2 relatively un-character assassinated--she's now my second-favorite, behind only Charming. And they're ahead of everyone else by a wide margin (like, if the show became the adventures of a daddy and daughter detective/crimefighter duo, I would be pleased as punch). It's made me realize just how poorly holding the idiot ball made Emma come off in S1.

I've always thought Morrison takes/took an unfair amount of acting flack in S1, too, because it's hard to do a great job and be engaging and interesting when you're stuck holding the idiot ball. And for my money, when Morrison has big, meaty emotional scenes, she absolutely knocks them out of the park. Regina can cry all she wants, but easily the most affecting breakdown into tears, for me, was Emma's when she thought Henry was dead in 1x22. I've watched that numerous times and still get a lump in my throat when Emma loses it.

• Love 1

I've loved Emma and Henry from the very beginning, and I don't have I've stopped (for Emma at least... sadly, the writers ruined Henry in Season 2).  I liked Snow and Charming as well, but Snow in particular has been very hurt by the writing.  So to me, Emma has been the most consistently well written character.  Regina and Rumple were great supporting players in the pilot and I liked them in that capacity.

I'm absolutely willing to share, regularlyleaded. :)

I've always thought Morrison takes/took an unfair amount of acting flack in S1, too, because it's hard to do a great job and be engaging and interesting when you're stuck holding the idiot ball.

Completely agree there. All throughout season one, she was in that awkward position where we knew much more than Emma did, so every time Emma came up against something, we knew Regina was behind it because duh, Evil Queen, but Emma didn't know and didn't believe and it was frustrating. I actually really like her fight with August in "The Stranger," because it revealed that by that point, it wasn't disbelief, it was denial. The very possibility that it could be real scared the crap out of her, and it was easier for her to stick her fingers in her ears and be all, "Lalala, can't hear you!" than it was to deal with it maybe actually being true.

Plus, she was acting as normal girl Emma in between sweeping scenes of the Evil Queen strutting around being evil and Rumpelstiltskin being creepy and Snow and Charming being iconically adorable. Being the straight man is a necessary and very often thankless job, but I adore what Jen's done with her straight man role here. I know I've said it before but I'm completely serious: her reaction shots are some of my favorite things about this show. With just one glance at her face, you can almost hear Emma's internal monologue: "Seriously?! My life is so damn weird."

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 3

Same here, S7WC92, I mean, Emma (BTW - really weird calling you by your new screen name, especially in the "Emma" thread, heehee).

I'm totally Team Emma, so I went ahead and made her topic thread before some smart[er]ass did ;)

You can call me whatever. ;)

I hate starting threads so I'm so glad you did. This will be one of my happy places.

I know I've said it before but I'm completely serious: her reaction shots are some of my favorite things about this show. With just one glance at her face, you can almost hear Emma's internal monologue: "Seriously?! My life is so damn weird."

I always want to co-sign your Emma posts because it's exactly how I feel and you state it so much better. I quoted this part though because I screamed yes when I read it. Never fails to amuse me.

• Love 1
Regina can cry all she wants, but easily the most affecting breakdown into tears, for me, was Emma's when she thought Henry was dead in 1x22. I've watched that numerous times and still get a lump in my throat when Emma loses it.

Word.  There have been a few Emma scenes that make me tear up, especially the pilot episode where she mentions being sent back into foster care at the age of three and the S2 scene in her nursery where she tells Snow she's not used to someone putting her first.  You're right for all Regina's tears, and as much as I enjoy Lana as Regina, I don't think a Regina scene has ever actually made me cry...or sniffle...or even blink strenuously.

• Love 1

I'm a crier, so when I think of all the Emma scenes that could potentially make me teary eyed, I think the both the death of Sheriff Graham and Jen Morrison's devastated look when Neal left Emma in Tallahassee did me in, badly, even if I didn't actually cry. 

I love Emma, and I know she's very clearly our Straight Man reacting to everyone else's mojo, but I really wish they could find a way to let her show a wider range of emotion more frequently.

Regarding Regina: Barbara Hershey's half of a minute of a death scene and Lana Parrilla's interaction really got me, even though they are clearly horrible, largely unredeemable people.

Edited by samhalliwell
  • Love 1

I've always liked that JMo has put so much thought into Emma. If you go back to her Season 1 interviews she talks about having read several books about kids in the foster system and her headcanon about what little Emma's life must have been like and how it would affect adult Emma's reactions today. It's nice when you know an actor actually cares about the character they play rather than just showing up and reading the lines they're handed. 

JMo can really bring it during emotional scenes, but I agree her reactions as Straight Man Emma are the best. Emma's inner monologue must be a continuous loop of WTF?! and Really? FML. And she does take advantage when she's got an opportunity to be a little lighter. It's very sweet that in David's dream in "The Tower," Emma the adult acts like a little girl - all twirly and cute with her little "Teach me!" That's not an Emma you'll ever see, which was the point, but I really enjoyed seeing a different Emma even if it was only for a few seconds.

• Love 9

Never quite understood the criticism of Morrison's acting in the first season, because I saw a good acting from the pilot on. Just because a character is shown as kinda unemotional and wooden, very guarded, doesn't mean that the acting is wooden nor that it is any easy to act such a character. I find it interesting that on the show "The Fosters" Maia Mitchell, who is playing Callie, a foster kid age 16 whose situation might come close to what Emma experienced, is getting some similar criticism of being unemotional, wooden, not showing enough emotional range or if overdoing it, and having no chemistry with others. Coincidence? Or maybe it has to do something with the characters. Besides: Emma has shown plenty of emotions and some range of emotions in all seasons, but Morrison superbly underplayed it. It is sometimes subtle, sometimes in the voice, easy to overlook or not heard. And occasionally some emotions got quite forcefully through.

Somewhat the Straight Man (or woman in this case, but as term in comedy better known as man), you're right Dani-Elli. While Mr. Gold and Regina were tuned a bit down in Storybrooke, of course in the Enchanted Forest Evil Queen and Rumple could go full theatrical expression, big gesture and mimic, which made the contrast to Emma even bigger. To me though Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlyle were the ones playing the characters with the most layers (yes, Emma as well) and doing great jobs with it.

Okay, I am biased, I began to fall in love with Emma the moment she stepped out of the elevator and was pretty much hooked by the time she entered her apartment and set up a cupcake with candle for her birthday wish.

I've always liked that JMo has put so much thought into Emma. If you go back to her Season 1 interviews she talks about having read several books about kids in the foster system and her headcanon about what little Emma's life must have been like and how it would affect adult Emma's reactions today. It's nice when you know an actor actually cares about the character they play rather than just showing up and reading the lines they're handed. 

JMo can really bring it during emotional scenes, but I agree her reactions as Straight Man Emma are the best. Emma's inner monologue must be a continuous loop of WTF?! and Really? FML. And she does take advantage when she's got an opportunity to be a little lighter. It's very sweet that in David's dream in "The Tower," Emma the adult acts like a little girl - all twirly and cute with her little "Teach me!" That's not an Emma you'll ever see, which was the point, but I really enjoyed seeing a different Emma even if it was only for a few seconds.

That's why it was so right to have an adult Emma in that scene, Morrison herself, and not a younger version of herself. It was important to show the adult Emma in a different way, how she maybe could have become if. I thought for a moment there was a bit of young Snow present (Morrison imitating Bailee Madison imitating Ginnifer Goodwin so to speak)

Edited by katusch
  • Love 1

I always want to co-sign your Emma posts because it's exactly how I feel and you state it so much better. I quoted this part though because I screamed yes when I read it. Never fails to amuse me.

Aww, thank you! And then there are the times when I read your posts and find myself going, "Oh my goodness, exactly!" :)

Besides: Emma has shown plenty of emotions and some range of emotions in all seasons, but Morrison superbly underplayed it. It is sometimes subtle, sometimes in the voice, easy to overlook or not heard. And occasionally some emotions got quite forcefully through.

Exactly. I honestly don't remember which interview it was, but Jen said she likes the moments when Emma gets caught off-guard by something because Emma doesn't have the time to put the mask up and you get to see what she's really feeling. Everything she does, every way she moves, and every tone of voice she uses has to be filtered through Emma's own guards and walls, which I'm sure is no easy feat.

(edited)

She did such an awesome job in Neal's final episode.  It must have been tough, since she had played it once before, but she really made me feel sad for her.  

It was not an Emma episode, but Jennifer Morrison very much owned it.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 2
(edited)

It goes a long way to show that the first Baelfire-centric episode was actually more about Emma and Rumple. Then again, he's always largely been a plot device in their respective stories, so it's only logical.

I've always thought of him as not much more than a glorified prop for others to react to.  Even though many of the plots involved the character, Neal was really just a vehicle to bring about reactions and behaviors in Emma and Rumple, and he really didn't even need to say a word to do it for the most part. 

Edited to add: JMo really has advanced Emma's character.  I remember her saying the year in New York would make her softer.  In her scene with Snow and Charming, Emma was much more open in terms of allowing her tears to show.  The first season (a few what months? before in show time), she wouldn't ever have shown that much emotion, even around Mary Margaret.

Edited by Crimson Belle

Jennifer always knocks those emotional scenes out of the park. Emma crying makes me cry.

I'm enjoying that Emma is much more open too. Whether it's talking with Hook or Charming, laughing with Neal about the past, or going straight to her mother's arms for a hug. I still think there are some walls there but they're not as high as before.

Really hope they explore her magic more. That was a huge thing she did by separating Neal and Rumple. By herself too.

• Love 2
(edited)

They really ought to have her develop her powers actively and not just when they need some magic and there's no Rumple/Regina nearby.

Fun fact: her being more open and ready to acknowledge and allow herself to feel emotions both to herself and around others should totally become a plot-point and make her magic stronger. IMO, self-affirmation and emotional openness sound like great sources of/fuel for white magic. Hope they'll do it eventually :)

Edited by samhalliwell
Edited to add: JMo really has advanced Emma's character.  I remember her saying the year in New York would make her softer.  In her scene with Snow and Charming, Emma was much more open in terms of allowing her tears to show.  The first season (a few what months? before in show time), she wouldn't ever have shown that much emotion, even around Mary Margaret.

The moment that struck me this past episode was actually after she and Henry talked over the "bagel" and she got the call to go to the hospital and she got up, kissed him on the forehead, and said "Love you." Old Emma could never have done that.

• Love 2

They really ought to have her develop her powers actively and not just when they need some magic and there's no Rumple/Regina nearby.

Fun fact: her being more open and ready to acknowledge and allow herself to feel emotions both to herself and around others should totally become a plot-point and make her magic stronger. IMO, self-affirmation and emotional openness sound like great sources of/fuel for white magic. Hope they'll do it eventually :)

I was thinking the same thing.  It seemed so weird for her to be able to undo the powerful magic that joined Neal and Rumple like it was easy, when in 3A she could barely get a spark lit.  I was trying to figure out what had changed, and I think it was that year combined with ten years of happy memories with Henry.  I'd like to see her magic more fully utilized.  And explained, but perhaps that is asking too much of this show.

• Love 1

The moment that struck me this past episode was actually after she and Henry talked over the "bagel" and she got the call to go to the hospital and she got up, kissed him on the forehead, and said "Love you." Old Emma could never have done that.

That little moment was so adorable and mom-like that I might have squealed like an excited teenage girl. It just made me so happy.

I'd like to see her magic more fully utilized.  And explained, but perhaps that is asking too much of this show.

I would, too. I imagine that she'll be quite the force to be reckoned with once she fully realizes her power, and I think it would be such a nice contrast to see power born out of love rather than power born out of evil. Dark and light balancing each other and all that.

• Love 1

I kind of hope that Emma being the "Savior" this time around means that she has to use her magic and embrace who she is instead of trying to run from it.

I kind of hope that Emma being the "Savior" this time around means that she has to use her magic and embrace who she is instead of trying to run from it.

Of course, the only downside to this (which would rock), is that they'd have to keep up the Bigger, Eviler-Than-Thou Big Bad of the Season for years on end just to make her magic (as well as Rumple's and Regina's) not a deal-breaker. I hold Ed and Adam above, say, the Charmed crew, but the idea of the plots getting repetitive or suddenly unsurmountable don't really sound appealing.

• Love 1

I also think that Emma pretty much keeps her emotions so guarded that, according to Rumple's schooling, it interferes with her being able to access her magic. When it comes to over powering emotion such as say, watching Bae die, then she's able to do things like separate Bae from Rumple. I agree with all here who also point out that she just needs to embrace who she is...but she needs to get over this bland "I'm the saviour" bit and get on more with "I am one of you/You are my family." So far, as her character grows, she has only developed that with Henry for obvious reasons.

• Love 3

So unlike most of you Once Upon a Time experts, I just discovered this show and have seen a grand total of just three episodes so far. So I really shouldn't make any judgments about Emma either way yet, but of course I totally will anyway :) I can't even explain exactly why, but I absolutely *adore* her. I find her incredibly natural, relatable, and a wonderfully well-defined mixture of strengths and flaws. And I was actually predisposed towards meh-ness on her, because I didn't especially like what I saw of Jennifer Morrison in House. (To be fair, though, I just didn't like House in general.) 

There are many reasons I fell so instantly in love with this show, and Emma is surprisingly high up on that list. There aren't actually that many current TV female characters who I just instinctively look, root for and click with, but Emma Swan is one of them. 

• Love 6

Emma Swan is, no lie, one of my two favorite TV characters of all time. (Prue Halliwell is the other one.) I'm ridiculously protective of her (far more than is probably healthy :)), and I just want so badly for her to have her happily ever after.

• Love 2

mstaken, welcome. Hope you'll comment along the way.

Understand completely about falling in love with her instantly. She's by far my favorite character on the show and probably ever. Like Dani-Ellie, I'm ridiculously protective of her too.

• Love 2

From the Jolly Roger thread

I thought about how Baby Emma should have had magic, but then I realized she was in a world without magic.  And even in this world, without magic, she still did magic in moments of high emotion (as evidenced in Henry's birth scene... watch the lights).  As for not being adopted?  She was "off the market" for the first 3 and a half years of her life, which is when most blond blue-eyed girls get adopted.  After age three, adoption rates go way down, and Emma was quite likely an angry little stinker if she kept getting sent back.  I've met three year old foster kids that I just couldn't handle.

But see this is what I'm speaking of; Emma did manifest magic in Henry's birth scene, so did she exhibit magic as a child? It would be a wonderful counterpoint to all of her "what the hell" responses if she brought up buried memories of doing magical things…or talking to birds. I would love to see some kind of flashbacks for that. It could also explain why she wasn't adopted. If spooky things were happening around her, I could see foster parents getting freaked out. And my adoption irritation still stands. I know kids are less adopted after three, but Emma was with the Swans (who from our limited understanding) who took care of her. Then she went into foster care but a child with no disabilities, no disfigurements, with an average or above average IQ, no alcohol or drug dependencies, and no parental rights issues, would still be in demand. I know that for the show, Emma couldn't find a forever home because she had to be out there searching for her family, but it would be really nice to have some flashbacks to explain some of this. Emma is central to the story and even if only part of the story is her "hero's arc" we should still know more about it. 

• Love 1

Then she went into foster care but a child with no disabilities, no disfigurements, with an average or above average IQ, no alcohol or drug dependencies, and no parental rights issues, would still be in demand.

Sounds like my blonde-haired, blue-eyed niece who was given up for adoption as a baby but was passed around different foster families for yeeeeears. I think she was at least 8 or 9 by the time she was finally adopted.

This is one of my favorite shots of Emma (I know, I know...could my girlcrush on her being any bigger?!) It just seems so quintessentially her to me: she looks tough but vulnerable and is smiling in a way that's hopeful yet self-protectively guarded. 

nvScaX3.jpg

• Love 1

Just getting back to forums life for tonight's episode, and boy am I glad I came back on this thread. I absolutely loved that Emma, of all people, was the main character that provided the most levity and the least emotional turmoil in a rather emotion-heavy episode.

She was determined and helpful when she had to, but the magic scenes at Granny totally showed an Emma I'd love to see more of. I mean, she was playful and teasing, how awesome is that? :D

Jennifer has a smile that can light up an entire state. I always enjoy the moments they let Emma be happy.

That giggle and how proud she was of her magic. Give me more of that. Girl deserves it.

• Love 3

I hope she doesn't have to choose between keeping her magic and keeping her family safe. But considering they already foreshadowed that with Robin giving up Regina's heart to save a child...

Hi everyone!  I guess I'm a little late for the party ( *Evil Queen/Regina voice*: sorry I'm late) coming over from TWOP.  Just recently found out where you all went :)

Emma is and always has been my favorite character (probably from every show I've ever watched, too).  Jen's acting never ceases to amaze me.  Even in S1 when most people thought she was awful and wooden, I always saw that as Emma being... Emma.  Guarded, jaded, tough exterior...  And that's hard to play.  Emma is someone who seems incredibly tough on the outside, but inside is so vulnerable and hurt.  Jen had to portray both qualities in every single scene, putting emphasis on one side or the other, depending on who else was in the scene.  She did so perfectly.  She had to show the audience Emma's hidden soft side without letting Emma's mask slip to the characters (if that makes sense).  I can't wait for S4.  Can it be September already?

• Love 1

I'm glad Emma keeps her soft side hidden.  She has several reasons for doing so.  I don't want to see Emma apologizing to Regina for saving Marian.  Regina was lucky Snow, Charming, and Emma were willing to give her another chance.  It's not Emma's fault Regina murdered a bunch of innocent people.

• Love 3

Regina's past coming back to bite her in the arse isn't something Emma should feel at all guilty about.

Which means the show will have her wallowing in guilt over it, yes?

• Love 2

Regina's past coming back to bite her in the arse isn't something Emma should feel at all guilty about.

Which means the show will have her wallowing in guilt over it, yes?

Especially given Regina seemed totally fine with Emma bringing someone back from the past (she didn't even raise an eyebrow) until she discovered it was someone who would adversely affect her life and happiness. Evidently what she meant by "You're just like your mother: never thinking of consequences." was really "You're just like your mother: never thinking of how consequences might impact me."

I'm going to guess that Emma will continue to feel guilty, but other characters (probably Hook, just because they seem to use him as Emma's voice of reason these days, though I wish it could be Mary Margaret because I miss this friendship) will talk some sense into her. I'm glad this is something Emma can't really "fix," so I imagine (well I hope) that her storyline in 4a won't revolve around her trying to rectify the situation. I mean, what can she possibly do to change things now?

• Love 3

This show would be nothing to me if it weren't for Emma. She's the reason I tune in every week.

I don't know what I'm going to do if they turn Emma into Snow White part two and constantly apologize to Regina for the Marian thing.

• Love 1

I don't even know why Emma would feel the need to apologize.  Emma was reunited with her son after 10 years and Regina lost Henry for like a year and she didn't even wanna go on living without him.  How can it be wrong to reunite mother and child?  Marian is being reunited with her son who was growing up without his mother and her husband.

if they really wanna show that Regina has grown, then they will spare us anymore apologies from Emma and have Regina, I don't know, understand that this is much bigger than her wittle stupid feelings.  And if Emma doesn't apologize or does it like once which is the maximum she should be allowed, then I hope Snow doesn't grovel on her behalf because I'm one hair away from disowning her.

Bringing this over from the Finale thread:

There have been many times, savior or not, that I have thought Emma was a hard ass. Walls and all, her attitude often smacked of condescension towards everyone in Storybrooke including her parents.

Emma infuriated me in parts of S2A and 3B. She does have a bit of an attitude about herself. However, that is her character flaw, and something that is more understable than many the other characters in the Show have. In many ways, JMo's take on the character reminds me of Juliet from LOST. It took me a while to warm up to Juliet, but she was one of my favorites by the end. I think (and hope) we will see a softer side to Emma coming up in Season 4. The whole "walls up" thing was overplayed by 3B. 

(edited)

I have to agree about Emma being annoying in 3B. She sang New York, New York like Sinatra didn't have anything on her. Never understood why someone would choose a comfortable life over family, especially after 3x11 (Going Home). The Hook brush-offs got old quick. 

As far as bringing back Marian goes, I don't think Emma made the right decision. Emma knew messing with the timeline was taboo. Messing with the timeline could have had more lives lost than spared, per the Butterfly Effect. If anyone has ever watched Star Trek, you'll know what I mean. Cora predicted the future when she said in 2x08 (Into the Deep), "Snow and her daughter just can't help themselves. No matter the personal stakes, they won't let an innocent die."

But if Emma goes around begging Regina for forgiveness over it, that's a serious problem. I don't think she will though. (*fingers crossed*)

That all being said, Emma is still one of my favorite characters. She makes the show relatable to us non-fairy tale characters. ;)

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)
Walls and all, her attitude often smacked of condescension towards everyone in Storybrooke including her parents.

Emma and her parents come from two vastly different worldviews. Snow's and Charming's "infuriating optimism" must have struck Emma, someone who's never had anything work out for the best, as ridiculously naïve. As the saying goes, you can hope in one hand and shit in the other, and Emma's spent her entire life hoping and getting nothing for it. To Snow and Charming, Emma's defeatist attitude must have been unbelievably dispiriting. They'd seen dire circumstances turn around and work out for the best but Emma never had. Nobody could understand where the other was coming from.

Emma's walls were built by a lifetime of having only herself to rely on. Her first instinct is to push people away, all, "I don't need you," because leaning on other people has gotten her nothing but hurt. That doesn't make it any less infuriating, of course, but it makes sense.

I mean, Emma's my girl, so I'm clearly biased. ;) But even all her "I'm going back to New York" didn't bug me; it just made me sad for her. (And truthfully, after seeing what we saw with the Charmings only going back for her when they needed her, I even agreed with her!) Why shouldn't someone want a life where they had time to sit and do family things with her kid and not have to look over her shoulder every second of every day for the next fairy-tale disaster? She had peace, and in her denial-riddled mind, she had all the family she needed with Henry. 

As far as bringing back Marian goes, I don't think Emma made the right decision. Emma knew messing with the timeline was taboo.

Right or wrong, I think it was human, and she did what she could after the fact to minimize the damage. It would have been even worse if they'd let Marian go back to her family in the past. And in the end, she did end up reuniting the family, so I have a hard time seeing it as a bad thing.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 2
(edited)

As far as bringing back Marian goes, I don't think Emma made the right decision. Emma knew messing with the timeline was taboo.

She didn't mess with the time-line--she found a way around it. I don't see how she did anything wrong. She couldn't let someone die in cold blood when she knew it was in her power to save them.

As for Emma's constant New York refrain in 3B--I didn't blame her for wanting to go back, but it was the way she set about it--belittling Hook and even Henry. It was getting too delusional. On her parents' side--her decision to remain was mostly unearned. They kinda gave up on her in Neverland. But Emma does have pride (who doesn't, in this Show?). It doesn't make me hate her--she is my second favorite character--but it does make her annoying at those times she refuses to see what's right in front of her face because she thinks she knows better. 

Edited by Rumsy4

Emma didn't know who she was bringing back though. She might not have changed the past but she changed the present and the future. Marian could have been an evil mastermind masquerading as a peasant woman for all Emma actually knew. Emma didn't even know the girl's name. She bought her story instantly without thinking. Even Hook wasn't in favor of bringing her back due to so many unknowns and the danger to the timeline. Not only was returning her to the present a risk, but also keeping her from dying. I agree it was human and a thing that Emma would do, but it wasn't very smart. But the heroes never really acted smart in 3B, sorry to say.

I totally understand Emma not feeling loved by her parents. Don't blame her in that department. The part that annoyed me was her rudeness to Hook. She didn't even try to be nice about going to New York. She put everyone else's feelings aside, including Henry's, for her's alone. She was better than that, so I'm going to have to say it was the almighty plot that caused that.

I have higher hopes for her in S4.