Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: I Never Could Love Like That

With their humanity turned off, Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Caroline (Candice Accola) begin wreaking havoc at Whitmore, leaving Damon (Ian Somerhalder) to come up with a risky plan involving Lily (guest star Annie Wersching). After rushing to help Jo (guest star Jodi Lyn O’Keefe) treat victims of Stefan and Caroline’s latest killing spree, Elena (Nina Dobrev) discovers Jo is pregnant, prompting her to reevaluate her own life as a vampire. Meanwhile, when Sarah (guest star Tristan Mays) boldly turns the tables on an unsuspecting Enzo (Michael Malarkey), he is forced to open up about his tragic past. Lastly, at Scull Bar, a twisted round of karaoke leaves Tyler (Michael Trevino) and Matt (Zach Roerig) in a dangerous situation.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PYeAuwL8RA

It's nice Damon is the one who knows how to bring back Stefan's humanity.  It's to bad the show has ignored this relationship for several seasons now.

Damon was entertaining in Season One.  Katherine was excellently awesome in Season Two.  Elijah was classy.  Pearl and Anna were great in Season One to.  The other vampires, not so much.

Caroline staking Stefan to give herself a head start was funny, but most of the rest of those scenes were boring.

Will I get some more Damon/Bonnie scenes now that Lily has the ascendant?

I'm guessing the Heretics won't be anywhere near as funny in their psychopathy as Kai is, which is just a shame. I'm already bored by them.

The Stefan/Caroline and Enzo/WhateverHerNameIs scenes really dragged. I find Caroline irritating at best so I hope they wrap up this humanity switch thing so she can go back to annoying in much smaller doses.

• Love 2

Is there ANYTHING that Elena can't spin into something about her? Caroline flipped her switch, so Elena thinks of herself! Jo is pregnant, so Elena thinks of herself! I just started to yell at the TV. Elena is a horrible friend. 

• Love 5

That felt like a long episode, pretty much just setting up Elena wanting to be human again, and the new Big Bad. Nice to see Enzo's story at last, but it felt a little shoehorned in - I'd have preferred more of a build up to it, or at least it being in an episode where Enzo was central to the plot (though that's not really been his thing this season, seemingly).

Also, The CW needs better nitpickers- it's Southampton, not South Hampton - bit of an error for what's a major British city. Hampton is a London borough, and not noted for its ocean-going vessels.

Tonight I thanked the gods for a DVR because there's no way I could have made it through this episode without a fast forward button. The Stefan/Caroline scenes were interminable. Caroline without her humanity is insufferable and season one levels of annoying. I hope her humanity is quickly turned back on.

Sarah Snorevatore can skip off back to Duke or wherever she goes to school.

That felt like a long episode, pretty much just setting up Elena wanting to be human again, and the new Big Bad. Nice to see Enzo's story at last, but it felt a little shoehorned in - I'd have preferred more of a build up to it, or at least it being in an episode where Enzo was central to the plot (though that's not really been his thing this season, seemingly).

Also, The CW needs better nitpickers- it's Southampton, not South Hampton - bit of an error for what's a major British city. Hampton is a London borough, and not noted for its ocean-going vessels.

Maybe it was like Gilligan's Island. He was taking a boat ride from the South Hamptons to Manhattan. And much like Gilligan's Island it ends up a hell ride for eternity. Though this is the first episode in a long while that I haven't hated Enzo.

• Love 2

Caroline and Stefan without their humanity are awful and I do hope Matt has nothing to do with them after. Shutting off their humanity for their own selfish reasons isn't reason to kill others like Matt. Him refusing Elena's blood and her reaction was great.

Seems more like the Elena who got first turned and hated what she had become and that her life she visioned for herself was gone.

• Love 1

I'll just be over here by myself because I liked it.  I've been loving this whole season surprisingly.

I am glad that the no humanity thing is only lasting a short while - I'm bored of it and yeah, I'll agree, Caroline is super annoying. I do like all the facial expressions Stefan makes when he's switched off though, very fun to watch.

I see the very obvious set up of Elena taking the cure and going off to live her human life but I'm good with it.  I haven't liked Elena since forever so she can go.

I'm sorry for Damon having to hear his mother say she doesn't love him.  I love that he just put that aside and took care of his brother. 

The hybrid witch thing is a big weird thing, how did Klaus and company never hear or know about vampwitches? 

• Love 5

I see the very obvious set up of Elena taking the cure and going off to live her human life but I'm good with it.  I haven't liked Elena since forever so she can go.

I'm sorry for Damon having to hear his mother say she doesn't love him.  I love that he just put that aside and took care of his brother. 

The hybrid witch thing is a big weird thing, how did Klaus and company never hear or know about vampwitches?

I'll be quite happy with Elena, the human. She's been a disaster of a vampire.

I'm not expecting Winchester levels of devotion, but I appreciate and love scenes with the brothers knowing each other so truly and going ham for each other. We could use more scenes like that.

I'll fanwank that the Gemini decided to imprison the witchpires before Klaus and the other vamps found out.

I LOVE the idea of vampire-witch hybrids.  I wonder how they'd stack up against the werewolf-vampire hybrids?  I hope a few make their way down to New Orleans if only to see how they shake up the dynamics of the city.

• Love 1

Way to massacre Caroline's character.  I just wish they had stuck with her as super-controlling after her mother died.  Couldn't care less about Enzo.  They tried to make his "tragic story" relevant by tying it to Mommie, but still didn't care.  Enzo and Sarah need to go now.  Kudos for Matt refusing Elena's blood.  After all this time of not liking or actively disliking Pudding Pop, I finally liked him when he grew a backbone and stated a principle.  Loved how nonplussed Elena was by that.  Of course the cure is in the future for Elena.  I nearly got a headache from the anvils dropping on my head! Wish Damon would have gone ahead and told her about the cure but we have to save some drama for later.  This season started so well too.

• Love 2

I enjoyed about half of this episode. Humanity free Stefan and Caroline grated on my last nerve after about five minutes, especially because I felt zero tension as to whether Matt or Tyler would be killed off. I liked the rest of it, though. Nice to finally get some backstory on Enzo and I am interested in these new witchpires.

My favorite part, like some others have already mentioned, was Damon knowing just what to say to bring his brother back. That is the Damon I can't wait to see more of once Elena inevitably takes the cure and skips into the sunset to enjoy her human life. I have never really shipped D/E, though I did enjoy their chemistry in the first few seasons, and I hope to see a shift in the focus of relationships next season. Salvatore brother bonding will be infinitely more enjoyable to me than any romantic pairing.

• Love 2

I HATED Stefan/Caroline. I suspect they will suffer no repercussions once both return back to "normal". HATE.

My UO is I have always liked Elena. And I have always loved Matt. I would love it if Matt and Elena leave together, but Matt is probably gonna stay.

Anything not related to S&C and useless Enzo, I found quite touching.

I'll just be over here by myself because I liked it. I've been loving this whole season surprisingly.

I am glad that the no humanity thing is only lasting a short while - I'm bored of it and yeah, I'll agree, Caroline is super annoying. I do like all the facial expressions Stefan makes when he's switched off though, very fun to watch.

Not just you! I enjoying this season too. Maybe it's because I not longer expect anything so am pleasantly surprised.

Humanity off vamp Caroline = human Caroline which it somewhat strange. She is super annoying though.

Much as I love switch off Stefan, I'm glad our angsty vamp is back and that it was Damon who brought him back via momma Salvatore. I enjoyed the scene where Damon gives Stefan a night off to wallow in guilt before finding Caroline. It's these tiny moments that show that Damon 'gets' his brother.

Elena - I can't even. Seriously? When is it not about you?

Matt - run away pudding pop, you deserve better.

Tyler - I'm trying to decide whether or not you were a terrible boyfriend to Caroline. Admittedly she did commit the ultimate betrayal in the end by sleeping with Klaus, but still up until that point you weren't great.

Enzo - every time he appears, I just want to hurl stuff at the TV.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but are you crazy? Stefan turned off his humanity in response to Caroline threatening to kill his niece if he didn't. Just how the fuck is that selfish?

So that person who is Stefan's relative is worth more than all the others they've both innocently killed and hurt? The high toll that is at the hospital and in the morgue?

Sarah (who is off with Enzo who could do anything to her)  is worth more than all those people plus Matt and Tyler had they been killed? Stefan is a ripper and knew it, yet he didn't care who he'd hurt he just gave into blackmail and he could have easily faked it and put on an act until they got Sarah freed. Caroline didn't want to hurt over her mom, so she kills others including people who love her? Matt was right about the switch, he should want nothing to do with them, choosing that switch chooses killing them (who  are their so called friends) and neither cared about all the innocents they'd kill when they turned their humanity off. 

They were both appalling, insufferable and yes, selfish in their choices. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Dear God, please someone, end this crap. I am sick of Enzo & his “poor me” story. I am sick of Elena wanting to be human, I am sick of mommy Stefano & her undead witch family, I am EXTREMELY sick of Caroline & Stefan & their “aren’t we evil?” show. I am sick of everything this show is putting out.

I liked Damon being super focused on returning Stefan's humanity and not throwing a tantrum when his mother said she didn't love him.

I was okay with Caroline and Stefan going Natural Born Killers on Matt and Tyler. That's how vampires are with the switch off, so whatever. However, when Caroline flips her switch back I don't want to hear her whine about her mother being dead again.

If she does I want Matt to remind Caroline she probably brutally murdered someone's mom or dad and definitely a bunch of sons and daughters. She can be sad about Liz's death all she wants, but she can also keep that shit to herself from now on. She gets zero sympathy from me. Zero.

• Love 7

What the fucking hell, Plec? You make these rules about how you can only be a vampire OR a witch, hence the reason Klaus & co. are all vamps despite Esther being a witch and now we suddenly have witch-vampires who can siphon power from themselves? This is just ridiculous. I already supported Nina's decision to leave the show, but this latest twist makes me think she was really smart to get the hell out. And we aren't going to get an explanation as to how Lily, a regular old vampire, was able to make witches into vampires? I mean, she had to do something special, right? Otherwise there must have been some other vampire who thought to try to turn a witch at some point in the history of vampires existing.

Caroline without her humanity is insufferable and season one levels of annoying. I hope her humanity is quickly turned back on.

No kidding. She is THE WORST. The fact that she said Tyler and Matt should know everything about her since they dated her is classic S1 Caroline who was the stereotypical obnoxious teenager. You know she was the kind of girlfriend who expected a guy to read her mind and then pouted when he didn't anticipate that she would want a diet Coke or something stupid. While CA has a nice singing voice, the hair flinging and faux sexy dancing was so embarrassing to watch again. It was like watching someone do the most awkward imitation of Faith at the Bronze.

So now that Enzo has let Sarah go, we're done with that whole storyline, right? Please?

Awwww, you know that Damon's whole speech for Lily to say to Stefan was what he had hoped she would say to him.

• Love 2

So now that Enzo has let Sarah go, we're done with that whole storyline, right? Please?

Was their last scene together supposed to show some sexual tension/deeper connection? I was very confused by how Enzo just kept glaring and glaring at her after he let her go. I kept expecting one of them to say something but then the scene was done.

I don't mind the witchpires so much honestly, after the travelers anything will go.

What I do mind is how quickly they started writing Elena off. Couldn't they start doing this a couple of episodes back? At least on her side of questioning her vampirism? Making her go through this with everything else going on just makes her once again self centered and making everything about her. I was hoping the transformation would be a little more subtle. There's still 4 episodes till the season's end that's more than enough time.

I love Matt Donovan. Can't wait to see him as a cop!

Caroline and Stefan were annoying as hell with Matt and Tyler. That was pointless.

Enzo's backstory would have worked a lot better if he was telling it to one of the main characters instead of Sarah. I don't get why they insist on keeping him so isolated from every other character/main storyline on this show. It looks like they're tying him into Lily's story which is a lot better than what he's been doing all season.

Is anyone thinking that they might do a time jump after Elena leaves? After all they're all vampires the aging wouldn't matter. Matt could be Sheriff by then and Bonnie a teacher at Whitmore like her grandma.

That is absurd. First of all the "faking" it option is just really, really sloppy writing since he apparently tries to do that next episode. Second there was no way he could have accurately predicted the death toll in the moment he switched off.

Considering he's "faking it" next episode, it is an option and one he could have done from the start for the few minutes it took for Elena to reach Sara. This show is nothing but sloppy writing.

Second, Stefan's a ripper when he turns his humanity off, he has a toll on a wall out there. He knew there would be a death toll. He did't know if it would be 12 or 12000, but he knew there would be a toll. To think otherwise would be naive of him, he knew when he turned it off what would happen. All those innocent people to them both were ok to die, I guess the families of those people just have to suck it up and be ok with their murdered relatives.

But Sara'soff with Enzo and Caroline's not feeling grief, that's all that matters to them to heck with anyone else, all those people in the hospital, to Matt and Tyler, all the dead people they killed and the families mourning them. No Caroline and Stefan are not selfish at all.   

Edited by Artsda

Was there any Bonnie or Bamon this ep?

Nope you can give it a Hard Pass. There is one nice scene with Damon and his mom (scored to children's choir) that I really liked, and subsequently Stefan turning his humanity back on, but MEH to the rest.

• Love 2

Okay, if Nina was adamant about only doing six years, I can give the writers/producers a pass on the last few Seasons because they could have thought it was empty talk and a tempting enough offer might change her mind but this Season, not so much. We`ve had 17 episodes this Season prior to this so why do we get a random-ass and unsubtle-as-hell course correction only now, five episodes to the finish line?

Elena suddenly wanting to be human again like a burning thing comes out of nowhere. Whereas they could have used the memory wipe to reconnect her with her humanity/that desire. They also could have not done Delena again after the wipe instead of bringing them back rather swiftly given the givens. When you know you have to cross a certain finish line, why run a hundred miles in the other direction first? What kind of planning is this?

OMG!Jo-is-pregnant-I-feel-so-sad-and-dejected-about-my-vampiredom-all-of-a-sudden. Seriously? In human years she is still only wha? 20 years old? She probably wouldn`t hear the biological clock ticking for some time even if human.

At least Matt`s story on hating what the supernatural influence has brought to his life and the town has been set up for a while. Even though here, I felt they used it clumsily to segue into Elena`s NEWfound desire. Like, he brushed off her hand so no wonder she wants to run screaming from her vampire identity. Give me a break.

Again, Matt made sense. Caroline was probably his poster child for "normal vampdom" so much, he could easily forget what she was most of the time. Now that domino has fallen and it appears to be the crucial one for him.

I`m not sure about the witch-pires. I liked the "one thing or the other", now we have another loophole. I thought nature only had loopholes FOR its aberrations, i.e. doppelgangers for Silas/Amara, Klaus`magical hybrid sperm and stuff like this. Not that a loophole would create them in the first place.  

Also, I do not understand how Lily basically lost all love she had for her sons. Damon didn`t stop loving Katherine over the 200+ years they were apart, him and Stefan didn`t lose their love for each other through oodles of time and shit, Anna didn`t stop loving Pearl etc. Is Lily a true sociopath? Appears like it. I felt so bad for Damon in that scene, he didn`t have much expectations for her in the first place but even those weren`t met. However, I did like that in the end, it was really him who got Stefan back, Lily was just the puppet. Damon has been Stefan`s trigger more than anyone so that remains intact.

Happy Stefan is back. I enjoyed Ripper!Stefan immensily in Season 3 but it was terminally stupid what he did here. I was so sure he just pretended two eps back because Stefan knows better than anyone that he is too dangerous to roam free when switched-off. I just did not buy that in the situation as presented he would actually take that plunge. His desperate attempt to save Damon from certain death at the end of Season 2 and Klaus compulsion beginning Season 3, THAT was powerful and believable for why he became a Ripper again.  

The episode itself was okay but when behind-the-scenes-reasons basically jump at you from the narrative, it takes you out of the story. At least it did me.    

• Love 1

I liked Matt's speech to Elena as well and I'm curious to see how he interacts with Stefan and Caroline going forward. I know it's not likely to happen, but I really hope that what Stefan and Caroline did is not just swept under the rug. And I don't just mean an episode where Caroline does her "OMG! I'm so terrible!" frenetic shtick before quickly going back to being Miss Sunshine party planner and obsessing over if Stefan likes her likes her or not. 

• Love 1

What a crappy return. First they leave out the best characters of the season #BonKai. Than they focus on the worst Who does that?

Vitches are real now or at least kinda sorta? Stereoline continues to grate my nerves. Damon betrays Bonnie again(think this will be common season 7). The bore Stefan is back. I hope they come back next season with The Originals level of writing. So it can be around a few more years without Elena's annoying ass.  .

• Love 1

I liked Matt's speech to Elena. That was the highlight of the episode to me. Everything else was meh. The witchpires is clearly Plec's idea to kill off any chance of Bonnie having a romance with Kai. Bonnie, who was conveniently missing in this episode. No follow up on her ptsd, darker turn, nothing. Instead we have Jo being relieved Kai is trapped in a prison world that wasn't built for him and he could die in - killing her, her baby and her entire family - and Jo being chatty with the same father that tried to kill her on Thanksgiving.

Matt and Elena's rare moments always get to me. Last night's was no exception. 

I just didn't like the fact that every little thing that happened this episode, was to serve Elena's second questioning her life.

As for Jo and Kai. Why should she care? He has endlessly terrorized her and her family, and now with her baby on the way, she has every right to be relieved. Even if Kai changed after the merge, it wouldn't make sense for her to trust him once he tells her "Hey I have a good side now!"

I'm not saying I want him dead, I find him to be one of the most interesting characters right now and his story line hasn't been screwed up like Enzo's. I just think that Jo's reaction is very understandable. 

Edited by raytch

Call me crazy but I think it's 100% plausible that Elena would suddenly be reminded that she can never have children or have the human life she laid out for herself when she's presented with a pregnant woman in front of her.  I also think it's completely normal that she would start questioning decisions she's made for herself at her age.  I don't find it out of the blue or plot driven at all.  

Elena always makes everything about herself so there's no shock there.  But I don't think it's shoddy writing or out of character for her to start thinking about these things.  

• Love 4

Also I'm pretty sure she doesn't chat with her dad all that often. They just exchanged very valuable information about the witchpires/Mama Salvatore. 

Call me crazy but I think it's 100% plausible that Elena would suddenly be reminded that she can never have children or have the human life she laid out for herself when she's presented with a pregnant woman in front of her.  I also think it's completely normal that she would start questioning decisions she's made for herself at her age.  I don't find it out of the blue or plot driven at all.  

Elena always makes everything about herself so there's no shock there.  But I don't think it's shoddy writing or out of character for her to start thinking about these things.  

You're right but this could have been prepared for at least a few episodes back. But she hasn't even hinted at this since season 4 so it feels rushed that she suddenly starts questioning after the cure was revealed. 

Especially that she could have started questioning this once her Damon memories were wiped. Since basically all that would be left is Jeremy dying and her flipping the switch. Damon was the only good thing about her being a vampire, and he was the one who showed her how she can enjoy it.

Edited by raytch

As for Jo and Kai. Why should she care? He has endlessly terrorized her and her family, and now with her baby on the way, she has every right to be relieved.

Is she sure he can`t die in this particular prison world that was, after all, not created for him? Because then, I can totally see her being fine with it. Otherwise, she would have to care for the same reasons all the TVD vamps couldn`t kill Klaus and have to pray for his continued good health. He dies, they die.  

• Love 1

I don't he'll die there. Mama Salvatore was very clear on those vampires being very in control over their blood lust. Which means they'll feed on him and keep him alive as an endless supply of blood since they don't know how long they're staying there.

Did Elena tell Jo about the vampires tho? Or did she just mention Mama S?

The lack of Bonnie for Caroline's major arc and the lack of Caroline for Bonnie's makes me wonder what their relationship is going to look like when Elena is gone. I wonder if we'll even get to see Bonnie have a reaction to what Stefan and Caroline have been up to. Bonnie and Caroline just seem really disconnected.

Edited by prospazzinator
  • Love 3

Do you mean that Damon betrayed Bonnie by giving Lily the ascendant?  Was he supposed to keep it?  I don't remember that.

I think any attempt to help Kai escape Bonnie could view as betrayal, but doesn't the ascendant need Bennet blood to work? I think that might be Damon's logic, assuming he or the writers have any, because considering the impact on Bonnie, is not a part of their process.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 1

While I liked Matt's speech and find his new approach to vampires admirable, it bothered me that he didn't stop to consider that his own death would cause Tyler to break out all wolfy again. If he was sure he could survive with good medical care then I understand. But how could he have been positive?

• Love 2

I was bored and Enzo's flashbacks dragged the crazy mama storyline instead of being elevated by it. Too late show, I ran out of fucks to give about Enzo by the winter finale, all it's doing is fill up my screen with boring now.
I liked organised no humanity Caroline, she was fun. This "I am trying so hard to be B.A.D" stuff is so desperate and boring. That karaoke scene was so awkward I was getting second hand embarrassment for Candice. At least no humanity Stefan is still fun.

I have been loving Matt's anti vampire attitude and I really like them doubling down on it. Finally someone in this god forsaken town sticks to their gun and actually follows through when facing the consequences of their decision.

I liked Matt's speech to Elena. That was the highlight of the episode to me. Everything else was meh. The witchpires is clearly Plec's idea to kill off any chance of Bonnie having a romance with Kai. Bonnie, who was conveniently missing in this episode. No follow up on her ptsd, darker turn, nothing. Instead we have Jo being relieved Kai is trapped in a prison world that wasn't built for him and he could die in - killing her, her baby and her entire family - and Jo being chatty with the same father that tried to kill her on Thanksgiving.

I don't understand how someone is so racist that she hates her own character to the extent that she sabotages the entire mythology of her story.

Wait, why would BonKai become impossible because of the witchpire twist? Wouldn't that make it more possible because that would allow him to stick around longer? And that would make it possible for them to have a relationship where he doesn't suck up her magic. If anything, this will make him a more possible contender if they get over the fact that he tortured her... Which I am not sure I want to see but since everyone in her life is an asshole anyway, why not forgive him too?
I do wish there was more follow through on Bonnie's PTSD. She was genuinely scary when she stabbed Kai and it looks like the trauma is not just a little bit. I wish they cut the boring Steroline and Enzo scenes and had more Bonnie. That would've made this episode a 1000x better. Also, it could've been interesting for Damon to have the conversation about the cure with Bonnie. But oh well...

Tyler - I'm trying to decide whether or not you were a terrible boyfriend to Caroline. Admittedly she did commit the ultimate betrayal in the end by sleeping with Klaus, but still up until that point you weren't great.

Well, she slept with Klaus after they broke up. I guess that would be a consequence of him being a shitty boyfriend who cared more about trying (and failing) to go after Klaus than move on? Gosh, i just remembered how pathetic that was.

While I liked Matt's speech and find his new approach to vampires admirable, it bothered me that he didn't stop to consider that his own death would cause Tyler to break out all wolfy again. If he was sure he could survive with good medical care then I understand. But how could he have been positive?

I think that to him, werewolves are better than vampires and he would feel bad once he realised what he condemned his friend to but at the same time, taking the risk to turn is a no go for him. I honestly like someone having iron principles in this damn show. Also, he was probably in shock and more convinced than ever that Vampires = BAD so it's possible it didn't occur to him.

The lack of Bonnie for Caroline's major arc and the lack of Caroline for Bonnie's makes me wonder what their relationship is going to look like when Elena is gone. I wonder if we'll even get to see Bonnie have a reaction to what Stefan and Caroline have been up to. Bonnie and Caroline just seem really disconnected.

Hmm... That's true, I mean at the beginning of the series, it seemed like both Elena and Caroline were closer to Bonnie than each other and that changed after Caroline became a vampire. The problem is that the Bonnie in 1994 and the Sheriff's death coincided so that was Caroline's primary concern and Bonnie when she got back had to deal with the trauma. I really like the girls having scenes together so I hope they do. They really miss out on great moments with their awkward storyline planning. I'm still clueless as to why on earth Enzo and Damon haven't seen each other for the past two months.

I was surprised, although I shouldn't have been, Bonnie wasn't involved in Caroline's SL because I always got the impression Bonnie was sort of the bridge between Caroline and Elena.  At least, that was what I thought back in Seasons One and Two when they bothered to show the Caroline/Bonnie/Elena friendship.

Matt's stance on being healed by vampire blood reminded me of Bill's (Caroline's dad), and his refusal to turn.  Before they killed Bill off, I wanted Al Corley to show up as Bill's boyfriend Stephen.  It would have been a nice nod to Dynasty (both Jack Coleman and Al Corley played Stephen Carrington on Dynasty, and he was gay).

I'm looking forward to Damon and Bonnie having to work together again.  I wonder if Kai will end up helping them.

Apparently I wasn't super interested in this episode.  Because, while I acknowledge the concerns above, all I could think about with the Witch-pire news was.... "So if they're power siphons like Kai, and the one raisinette grabbed Kai to attacked him, what happened with their siphoning?"  Like, are they maybe still stuck together in some weird closed loop circuit of endless mutual power draining... and if so, is it more a power tug-a-war or mobius strip?  I'm weirdly stuck on this.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

Do you mean that Damon betrayed Bonnie by giving Lily the ascendant? Was he supposed to keep it? I don't remember that.

In the previous episode, he promised her that none of them were going back to the 1903 prison world for any reason so I am sure that she will interpret him giving the ascendent to Lily as a huge betrayal.

The really stupid thing is that I always complain that most of the characters on this show have supernatural hearing but they routinely ignore this and have conversations revealing secrets and important information within earshot of each other. Last week and this week, Damon thought to turn on the faucet when talking to Bonnie about the cure and Elena about his mom (although later he stupidly told Elena on the phone that he hsd no intention of following through with his promise to get Lily's goons out of 1903 while she was just outside the classroom) so part of me was laughing when Lily said she heard Damon and Bonnie talking about the cure. But then I wondered why she didn't overhear him repeatedly saying he wasn't going to help her with the Heretics.

• Love 2

I agree with others above that Elena's desire for humanity came out of nowhere, and it's a nonsensical desire anyway. With some of the more trying versions of vampires I could understand, but TVD universe vamps have pretty much got it made as far as I can tell, the only real problem being a bloodlust that has been shown to be VERY controllable. In exchange for that, they get super speed, super strength, super hearing, mind control, perfect health, the ability to just "turn off" any bad feelings whenever they want, and near immortality, I can't think of why anyone would even WANT to be human again. Elena's newly revived obsession with a "normal" life (as though such a thing exists in their universe) is doubly nonsensical because if she really wants a family she could easily just adopt, or find some super powerful witch somewhere that can cast a "vampires can be pregnant now" spell or something since despite all claims to the contrary witches can apparently break whatever rules they want whenever they want.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 1

I agree with others above that Elena's desire for humanity came out of nowhere, and it's a nonsensical desire anyway. With some of the more trying versions of vampires I could understand, but TVD universe vamps have pretty much got it made as far as I can tell, the only real problem being a bloodlust that has been shown to be VERY controllable. In exchange for that, they get super speed, super strength, super hearing, mind control, perfect health, the ability to just "turn off" any bad feelings whenever they want, and near immortality, I can't think of why anyone would even WANT to be human again. Elena's newly revived obsession with a "normal" life (as though such a thing exists in their universe) is doubly nonsensical because if she really wants a family she could easily just adopt, or find some super powerful witch somewhere that can cast a "vampires can be pregnant now" spell or something since despite all claims to the contrary witches can apparently break whatever rules they want whenever they want.

Enzo also brought up the hunger, which confused me.  I guess vampiric hunger is supposed to be constantly gnawing at you to the point where you're a wound away from draining someone, but that seems to go away with time.  From a moral perspective, vampires at their core straight up enjoy killing people.  That might be very unattractive to some.

If Elena becomes human again, doesn't she go back to being a blood bag Klaus can use to make hybrids?

The writers have taken away every single drawback there was to being a vampire.  Bloodlust is controllable, unless for plot purposes it isn't.  Everyone has a daylight ring now so no problems there.  Witches can cast any spell to do anything.

If Damon and Bonnie are at odds with each other over Damon giving Lily the ascendant, I'm going to enjoy that because I would rather watch Damon/Bonnie fight with each other than watch any of the romantic pairings on this show.

• Love 1

Everyone has a daylight ring now so no problems there.

Yeah, the writers don`t even bother to explain that anymore. The Original family, sure. And Klaus entire progeny line, I can buy Katherine stealing it and then it was in Emily`s diary so pretty much everyone on the show was covered.

Now, where in all the blinding hell did Lily get hers? Did her witchpire friends make it? Or Enzo? In between being a terrified, confused newbie vamp without a teacher and being taken to be tortured for decades, when did he manage to find a daylight ring? 

Lexi lived, what, 500 years and never got one. Neither for Rose. Did they stumble through their vampire life deaf, dumb and blind to miss attaining something so obvious?

• Love 3

Now, where in all the blinding hell did Lily get hers? Did her witchpire friends make it? Or Enzo? In between being a terrified, confused newbie vamp without a teacher and being taken to be tortured for decades, when did he manage to find a daylight ring?

Lexi lived, what, 500 years and never got one. Neither for Rose. Did they stumble through their vampire life deaf, dumb and blind to miss attaining something so obvious?

I noticed this too and then wondered if I had mentally checked out while they explained why. It was one of the things that made the Salvatores a bit special. It would seem really mean that in 150 years of Lexi being on call to deripperfy him, Stefan could not be bothered to sort her out a day light ring!

• Love 1