Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E20: One Flight Down

• Start Topic

Really, Shonda-- police lights? I don't care if this is misdirection or if Derek has been murdered, i'm just over this messing with relationships.

Ok, i lied, i do care. I care to the point that if Derek is murdered, or for that matter, arrested for murder, i am done with the show.

I think Stephanie's storyline was very Izzie-like.

Yes. That ridiculous speech is exactly the kind of thing Izzie might have spewed during some of her ridiculous moments.

I hated Stephanie this episode, I kind of hated Richard and his inexplicable connection between his over-embellishment and his appreciation for life or whatever, and I think I might have finally reached the tipping point on Owen, where my disdain for the character has finally outweighed my love for Kevin McKidd. I super hated him this episode. I don't think I care anymore who he ends up with or what happens to him. And that pains me to say it. It really does.

All that said, I did kind of like the overall premise of this episode, if not all elements of its execution. Although it's true that we did do a lot of dealing with the plane crash aftermath in previous seasons, that is one of the fun things about PTSD: it can pop up years later, even if you think you've dealt with it and moved on. (Now, if they could just remember that as it relates to Owen's PTSD, too... Oh wait — I'm not caring about him anymore. Sorry; I forgot.) I kind of liked how it was handled, with Arizona and Meredith freaking out, and others trying to take care of them through it. It's a little weird that Maggie didn't know about it (and totally agree that it sucked for Alex and April to let her go on like that before telling her), but not nearly as absurd as the idea that Jo and Stephanie didn't know, which was just beyond stupid.

As for Derek... Who was it that called it, that they would stretch out "where's Derek" for three episodes just like they did with "who answered Derek's phone"? Eyeroll. In any case, my thoughts on that haven't changed much since last week: all signs point to his death, but it's just as likely to be utter misdirection. Guess we'll find out... Eventually.

• Love 2

Why must this show always end on a cliffhanger? I don't remember it being done so much in any previous season. It's just so pointless.

I cannot EVEN with Stephanie. I was cringing with embarrassment for her during the "I am the protagonist!" monologue. Yikes.

Sometimes, I forget why I continue to watch this show, and then I see the Mer/Der scenes. There is just something about how Patrick Dempsey can deliver lines like those and make Derek sound genuine without being cheesy. Plus, it gets Meredith to smile, and I'm here for it.

Owen and Amelia are an abomination. 

• Love 4

Why must this show always end on a cliffhanger? I don't remember it being done so much in any previous season. It's just so pointless.

I ask myself the same question, it's totally pointless and it's also quite annoying. I mean, cliffhangers shouldn't be used that often.

I don't get why Stephanie keeps having SL while Jo barely has lines. I don't get it. She's not even dating anyone (not that I think that people only should get SL when they're in a relationship, but we all know Shonda does that).

It seems like Shonda wants us to like her, but apparently it's not working at all.

Don't even get me started with Owen Amelia. Jesus Christ, how can these two be so damn annoying???? Why should we even care about them? They met like yesterday and already have these stupid problems that nobody cares about.

You guys keep talking about Shonda misdirecting things all the time and I wish (I just wish) that Amelia died instead of Derek (IF he dies, of course). I'm obviously dreaming here. Shonda should have kept this stupid brat in California.

Owen should go back to the Army or something like that, I don't understand how he's still Chief after everything that happened.

I feel like Shonda doesn't care about GA anymore, like, at all. It's like she doesn't even remember how many characters the show has, because most of them don't get plausible SL (when they get SL at all). Bailey has been pointless this season, same with Richard, Jackson, April (does she even remember her deceased son?), Jo.... Alex has only been there to listen to the Sun and sometimes, only sometimes, Arizona. For me he's been completely OOC this season. 

PS; I'm new here. Hi, guys! :D

• Love 3

They're focusing on all the wrong characters and all the wrong stories and it's making the show unwatchable. I'd argue this is the worst it's been since season 7 and it's a shame because it actually started quite well with the Ellis stuff and the carousel and flashbacks. But this is the first time since season 7 I'm considering calling it quits - especially with the rumors that Derek will die.

The only characters I can stand anymore are Meredith, Derek, Alex (aka Meredith's shadow. Why can't he have his own stories?), April (shocker considering she was as irritating as present day Stephanie in her early seasons), Jackson (window dressing but at least he's not irritating and grating like half the cast), Callie (Sara is just so good) and Richard (Eh...). Surprisingly enough, Maggie is actually endearing to me even though she's just another blathering bubbly female caricature like Izzie, April and countless others. I just hate that it feels like they dropped the story of her bonding with Richard and Meredith. We get scenes here and there but it adds up to nothing.

Owen and Amelia feel as forced as Gizzie and are unbearable, especially because Amelia is a black hole of anger, resentment and pessimism. Stephanie is an absolute useless #mess every time she's on screen and is an embarrassment for the entire writing team and ABC. That's how bad she is. Bailey has become an inconsistent annoyance when she was once one of the show's most grounding characters. Plus what happened to her making changes with her seat on the board? I guess she's too busy drinking kale juices. Arizona I still like but there's just not much to her anymore. Calzona fans will disagree but I also think JCap phones it in a lot this season too. And barely any mentions of her switching to fetal surgery since Herman left. And finally, Jo who is with the only remaining original intern besides Meredith only gets 2 lines per episode and absolutely zero character development or personality-building scenes. 

I loved season 9 and the second half of season 10 but damn, ever since the show came back from hiatus this year it's been a steaming pile of you-know-what.

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 3

That was a mess.  I know there's nothing wrong with Derek but if Meredith is worried, why didn't she call the airline to find out if there's something wrong with the plane? Or if he even got on it?  It's not so long ago that she skipped a plane herself and ended up spending the weekend at a hotel.

Hate the Mer/Der flashbacks.  Admittedly I've never really liked either of them as people but it seemed to so obvious to me that there's going to be nothing wrong with Derek (IMO) that it felt like such a manipulation.

Stephanie is the worst.  I feel sorry for the actress trying to sell this behavior. Shut up and go do your job, which includes following the orders your boss gives you.

I like Amelia, have since PP but this whole storyline with Owen is pointless and stupid and making me dislike both of them.  Write it good, or end it.

On the positive, this is the most I've ever liked Arizona.

• Love 5

On the positive, this is the most I've ever liked Arizona.

My girlfriend says her divorce from Callie is the best thing that's happened to her character for a long, long time and I agree. Please, Shonda, don't put them back together.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 2

I felt sorry for Maggie when she blathered on after April gave the understatement of the year about the gang's plane crash, leaving out the fact that it was a deadly crash. If it was supposed to show Maggie being socially awkward, I think it missed the mark. She didn't simply misunderstand, she wasn't given enough information. She didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that.

I feel the same,writers just can´t let go of this, when it happened for the first time with Maggie,we might think yes,she doesn´t know things, hahahah, sort of funny, but she goes on and on AGAIN and AGAIN,but why exaggerate it,why do this thing over and over again,even on such  a sensitive topic? They make her  a caricature.

And this insane OA crap  - is this Kevin McKidd the same actor who was once on ROME!!!! - hard to believe - and incredibly stupid Stephanie. Forcing  a patient shortly after waking up from anaesthesia and open surgery to sit in a wheelchair and make her do things. Who gives these doctors  a degree? And the actress suuuuuuuuuuucks. In addition, nothing new, she can join Scorsone in her skills.

My gosh - that Amelia is a lunatic woman. Aggressiveness is her mojo, the way she pushed Owen into that on-call room I thought she would punch him right there. She will set something on fire like Mr Rochester´s wife one day. She has that crazy look in her face. In fact ,she is Bertha.

I was thinking all this time who this character reminds me of that I hate her guts so much - yes, she is Bertha for me.

I´d feel ashamed for writing this episode Mr Guzman!!!!

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

I feel the same,writers just can´t let go of this, when it happened for the first time with Maggie,we might think yes,she doesn´t know things, hahahah, sort of funny, but she goes on and on AGAIN and AGAIN,but why exaggerate it,why do this thing over and over again,even on such  a sensitive topic? They make her  a caricature.

And this insane OA crap  - is this Kevin McKidd the same actor who was once on ROME!!!!) - hard to believe - and incredibly stupid Stephanie. And the actresss suuuuuuuuuuuucks. In addition, nothing new, she can join Scorsone in her skills.

My gosh - that Amelia is a lunatic woman. She will set something on fire like Mr Rochester´s wife on day.

I´d feel ashamed for writing this episode Mr Guzman!!!!

That exactly it! I mean with Maggie: "Oh, I can't sleep in the same bed as a man." "I was so smart I graduated everything early so I act like a 12 year old who has a crush on her teacher." "I can google on who my half-sister is and since its Grey/Sloan, it must be after my mother who gave me up for adoption. Never mind what the hell Sloan has to do with anything." Oh come on! It is so stupid and everyone acting like the plane crash was like your car getting hit in the parking lot while you are getting groceries. People died! Others were left with tons of scars both physically and mentally. You don't just shrug your shoulders one day and go: "Oh well, look pizza!" Same goes for Arizona now hating Alex because you know, she never knew and it was Alex's fault since he actually cut her leg off. So, all the crap with Callie and all that the last few years would never have happened if Arizona knew it was Alex and not Callie. Sure whatever and Kevin McKidd, wow! Has his character and acting been just assassinated to nothing and I continue, Stephanie is a useless character. The writers have no idea what to do with her so they just put her in very stupid situations and hope a great story might be born. Just give it up!

Edited by readster

I tune in every now and then to see if there is a Cristina reference. My goodness just when you think the writing can't get any worse they surprise.

Now seriously, we know damn well that the interns new about the crash because at least three of them were standing outside of Cristina's  hospital room when she was catatonic. Am I to believe that Heather and I believe Shane those two were definitely out there talking about how bad she looked now in comparison to the legend that they heard she was, never went back and shared what they saw with the two fools that are left, Stephanie and Jo? Jeesh, who are these hacks writing for show now? They have never truly understood a true Grey's fan ones that have been there from the beginning and no matter how pissed, never really, really leave and remember every detail. 

And I am a Cristina fan, from the very beginning, she will always be Grey's Anatomy for me so, I don't miss nor forget details when it comes to her. They  knew damn well about the crash.

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

I tune in every now and then to see if there is a Cristina reference. My goodness just when you think the writing can't get any worse they surprise.

Now seriously, we know damn well that the interns new about the crash because at least three of them were standing outside of Cristina's  hospital room when she was catatonic. Am I to believe that Heather and I believe Shane those two were definitely out there talking about how bad she looked now in comparison to the legend that they heard she was, never went back and shared what they saw with the two fools that are left, Stephanie and Jo? Jeesh, who are these hacks writing for show now? They have never truly understood a true Grey's fan ones that have been there from the beginning and no matter how pissed, never really, really leave and remember every detail. 

And I am a Cristina fan, from the very beginning, she will always be Grey's Anatomy for me so, I don't miss nor forget details when it comes to her. They  knew damn well about the crash.

Same thing about the shooting at the hospital. A guy killed doctors because he hated them because his wife died. He just didn't kill the doctors who were there working on his wife. He killed nurses, security guards, anyone who was in his way. Of course Alex was almost killed by the same killer, Meriah was almost killed at gunpoint and had her intern die in her arms. Had a fellow intern electrocuted to death because she can't realize water and electricity don't mix. I mean these people have gone through horrible, horrible things that were public knowledge and its like these people live in a bubble called: "Look! A kitten!" 

Edited by readster

I abandoned ship with Cristina/Sandra Oh. Sounds like I made the right decision. :)

You did. When I saw her in the flashbacks, and then in a clip someone posted from the season finale last year, I realized I miss her terribly.  She does something to the show - makes it un-ridiculous? - that is now gone.  But I'll keep watching, I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because - even if the show is super dumb, I don't get bored. I am still entertained when I watch it.  (I'm also sometimes incredulous and disgusted, but still entertained).  They could just do me the favor of getting rid of Owen and Amelia, and I'll be super pleased.

• Love 1

You did. When I saw her in the flashbacks, and then in a clip someone posted from the season finale last year, I realized I miss her terribly.  She does something to the show - makes it un-ridiculous? - that is now gone.  But I'll keep watching, I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because - even if the show is super dumb, I don't get bored. I am still entertained when I watch it.  (I'm also sometimes incredulous and disgusted, but still entertained).  They could just do me the favor of getting rid of Owen and Amelia, and I'll be super pleased.

Very true, Sandra always achieved to turn a stupidly written scene into art. She never failed.

You watch Jo and Stephanie sitting in the tunnels and you have to look away  because of how awful the actresses are. The same with Scorsone. Capshaw is very close to them as well.The others have ups and downs,but Sandra was always great.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

But I do think it's odd that Arizona would think Callie would be the one doing the amputation on her own wife, if there was any other option, but then again Callie's the (seemingly-only) ortho surgeon. But agreed that it being Callie's call is the point, not who the actual surgeon was; she wouldn't have been (particularly) angry at Dr. John Doe, never before seen on-screen, if he were the surgeon. But she probably would have been angry with Alex, even if she knew it wasn't completely rational, since she was having a pretty hard time in general and was already angry with him early on for having been the intended plane passenger. So it did spare both Alex and Arizona for her not to have known it was him in particular.

Yeah, I can understand that maybe Callie didn't want to point the finger at Alex.  But wouldn't part of Callie's story be that she had Derek on the table doing a ground breaking surgery, and was told Arizona was crashing and the leg had to come off?  That never came up while Arizona blamed Callie all of these years?

I kind of wish they had just stayed in the closet saying, "We're okay," for the rest of the episode though because I didn't need to see Arizona yelling at Alex.

Especially when what she yelled wasn't even true.  She told him he was only protective of her because Meredith instructed him to be.  And he allowed her to believe that!  Poor guy doesn't get enough credit for his sweet side.

I think Stephanie's storyline was very Izzie-like.

But at least when Izzie got obsessive about Denny or Meredith and Derek's wedding, it was about people she deeply cared for.  Stephanie could care less about this couple, it was all about her need to fix it.  And as manipulative as Izzie was about the wedding, she was truly on death's door, and it kept her occupied.  Stephanie has none of those excuses.  Also, Izzie was just more likable to me, as well as being strongly connected to the original group.  Stephanie's just the friend of Alex's seldom heard from girlfriend. 

. Arizona I still like but there's just not much to her anymore. Calzona fans will disagree but I also think JCap phones it in a lot this season too.

You know she negatively affected the emotional scenes with Meredith, IMO.  EP really sold it, and for me - JC did not.  She's really good with humor and even happy emotion, but I think she truly sucks at the drama.  It doesn't help that even when she's supposed to be crying, JC somehow smiles and dimples, and it's almost unnatural.  I know part of the character is to do the big dimply grin even when administering an insult, but come on.  I'm sure poor Sofia has had plenty of WTF moments when watching her mother's argue with a big grin on AZ's face.  It must be confusing.

• Love 3

Yeah, I can understand that maybe Callie didn't want to point the finger at Alex. But wouldn't part of Callie's story be that she had Derek on the table doing a ground breaking surgery, and was told Arizona was crashing and the leg had to come off? That never came up while Arizona blamed Callie all of these years?

Apparently it also never came up that Callie wasn't with Mark when he died because of the same. I'd think that should have come up, too! I guess we just roll with Callie purposefully keeping Arizona in the dark about that timing and her amputation, which they did basically indicate when she told Alex early on that AZ had no idea he was the surgeon. She so easily could have played the "I wasn't the surgeon" card that I think she had to have not done so intentionally, which is reasonable since (I think) she's right - it was her call, so the distinction didn't matter.

She told him he was only protective of her because Meredith instructed him to be. And he allowed her to believe that! Poor guy doesn't get enough credit for his sweet side.

He really doesn't - from any of them. :-/

I'll admit that I didn't hate Stephanie's ridiculous protagonist speech all that much, only because Owen and Amelia were being soooo much worse than she was and I was thrilled someone was finally yelling at them. But that speech was almost as awkwardly written as April's "they had a bad experience on a plane." I wish Shonda would babysit Gray's a little more now that HTGAWM is on hiatus. When she writes Gray's ridiculously, it still tends to be oddly compelling and emotionally resonant/manipulative!

• Love 1

Because it was bugging me I went back and watched the scene from the season 9 premiere. Jo actually says to Hunt (talking about Meredith) "I heard she was in a plane crash with a bunch of other doctors and they were stranded in the woods for like, a week."

I did buy Jo not knowing about Alex/Lexie though.