Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E20: One Flight Down

• Start Topic

A small plane crash in Seattle causes multiple casualties and brings back horrible memories for the doctors, especially Meredith and Arizona. Meanwhile, friction between Owen and Amelia makes for an uncomfortable working situation for Stephanie.

Although drama based on the plane crash is potentially interesting for its believability, the entire episode felt very self-indulgent (especially since the entire ninth season was about dealing with the aftermath) and purposely manipulative. Guzman, as usual, imbued the script with unsubtle dialogue and trite character beats, designed to elicit obvious reactions from the audience. References to past history are always welcome, but here it was gratuitous -- every character who didn't know about the details of the plane crash had to be told on screen, milking an already dried up cow for potential drama. Meanwhile, Stephanie as a ridiculous rom-com seeker was almost as bad as Amelia and Owen's try-hard emotional development. But the Meredith/Derek moments were the worst: the epitome of sap. And although I like them together, their moments played like awful, unrealistic fan fiction. Big juicy episode that fell flat due to poor scripting.  

Edited by upperco
  • Love 9

I don't think I'm alone in having just assumed that Arizona knew that Karev did the actual amputation, because why the hell wouldn't she know? Color me surprised and annoyed that, after all this time, she always thought Callie did it. That she blamed Callie for cutting off her leg because she thought she was the one who literally cut it off and she never found out otherwise. That ... just seems stupid.

How did Jo and/or Stephanie miss the fact that Meredith's other sister Lexie died in the other plane crash? Were they not here during the aftermath of all that? When the hospital changed its name to Grey/Sloan? Where did they think that came from? Speaking of Stephanie, shut up. Also, I'm not sure if it's believable that Maggie didn't know about the crash at all, only because knowing her she probably did a buttload of research (stalking?) about Meredith and everything about this place before she got here, so you'd think she would have come across that at some point.

I'm not sure how Webber's near-death experience and epiphany about life's small wonders correlates to his increasingly embellishing the story of what happened.

I officially do not give a shit about where Derek is or what happened to him.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 8

So Arizona never looked at her operative report?  Never checked her own chart?  Puhleeze.  I can almost understand that Dr. Lisp maybe didn't know the whole story, but the residents?  Nah, not buying it.  Lazy, lazy lazy writers.

• Love 8

I really hate Owen. He was such an ass to Amelia tonight. I really liked the Arizona/Alex scenes tonight. I thought it was a major retcon that Jo/Stephanie didn't know about Lexie dying. They were working at the hospital when it was named after her and Sloan! Plus I remember Jo asking Owen about the plane crash in the season 9 premiere. I was waiting for some Jo/Alex fight or talk due to Jo's facial expressions during the group chat. I find it super weird Meredith didn't share her concerns about Derrick with Amelia.

eta I can buy Arizona not knowing about Alex amputating her leg. Considering how upset she was in the aftermath I don't see her checking out her own report. Plus during that episode last season when her leg broke the way Alex was acting very nervous/uncomfortable around her. I never understood why Callie never told her about Alex doing the amputation her reasoning tonight made no sense. Arizona was pissed Alex and blamed him too! Also Maggie thought the hospital was named after Ellis and I don't think Webber ever told her it wasn't.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2

Well, they actually said on-screen at one point that Arizona had no idea Alex did the cutting - Callie spit something to that effect at Alex during his guilt at being the original passenger in Arizona's place, and then feeling guilty at each turn he was supposed to leave for his next job. She told him Arizona had no idea he made the actual cut.

But I do think it's odd that Arizona would think Callie would be the one doing the amputation on her own wife, if there was any other option, but then again Callie's the (seemingly-only) ortho surgeon. But agreed that it being Callie's call is the point, not who the actual surgeon was; she wouldn't have been (particularly) angry at Dr. John Doe, never before seen on-screen, if he were the surgeon. But she probably would have been angry with Alex, even if she knew it wasn't completely rational, since she was having a pretty hard time in general and was already angry with him early on for having been the intended plane passenger. So it did spare both Alex and Arizona for her not to have known it was him in particular.

I don't really see how Webber's embellishment ties into his appreciation of life, but appreciated April calling him on it (even pulling him aside first vs a public smack down, which was a bit warranted at that point).

Liked the Alex/Arizona/Callie scenes.

As I recall, Jo and Stephanie's class came in just after the crash, so they were there for the lawsuit, hospital buy-outs, and name change. Since Meredith and Lexie shared a last name, that should have been background knowledge for Stephanie already.

I also liked that, after the Alex/Maggie seed planted last week, there was nothing on that front this week. I'm fine with any love triangle plot like (plot for Alex!), though I like him with Jo, but a slow development to whatever they might do with it is refreshing, and more realistic given his relationship status.

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Love 2

There is no fraking way that everyone new and old does not know about all the crazy things that have happened to this hospital and its staff. Just because you might not hear it from them directly does not mean other doctors, nurses, techs etc will not fill you in. Especially with the crazy shit that has gone down here.

• Love 7

There is no fraking way that everyone new and old does not know about all the crazy things that have happened to this hospital and its staff. Just because you might not hear it from them directly does not mean other doctors, nurses, techs etc will not fill you in. Especially with the crazy shit that has gone down here.

And didn't someone do a documentary/"Dateline" kind of thing about the survivors of the plane crash when Mark was dying/died? Even if Jo and Stephanie weren't there when it was being filmed, you think they would have watched it. Very strange.

• Love 2

It didn't matter to me that Arizona had no idea that Alex cut her leg off. It is truly irrelevant, but whatever, this way the writers have a tool to make an opening for Calzona again.

Anyone else care either way about Owen and Amelia? Nope. Didn't think so. Wish the writers would stop trying to make 'fetch' happen.

I kinda hope that Derek dies still. It'd be interesting. And I personally miss dark, twisty Meredith.

• Love 2

And didn't someone do a documentary/"Dateline" kind of thing about the survivors of the plane crash when Mark was dying/died?

Wrong catastrophe: the documentary was about the shooting.

But Jo mentioned Meredith being in a plane crash in the first episode of S9. (She was crying to Owen about "Medusa" being mean to her after she blew the intern appy.) Of course she would have discussed it with the other interns back then.

• Love 4

What the fuck. Is Stephanie on drugs? I've frequently found her to be boring and milquetoast, but I've never thought she was stupid.

I think that's the most annoyed I've ever been with a Grey's character. Ever.

• Love 7

I guess because I'm not a fan but those were some really cheesy flashbacks with Meredith and Derek. Not only did they discuss wanting more children but they covered fan favorite moments too, lol.  

I thought the Arizona/Meredith scene was really good but most of the episode was dull or annoyed. Why was Meredith anywhere near an OR? Why wasn't Arizona sent home or at least away from patients? All the "I'm fine" as they're falling apart and distracted while people are about to die on the table is so old. Owen and Amelia shouting & Stephanie being really annoying added to it. The stupidest part though is what everyone above mentioned - that people supposedly didn't know about the crash. They were there for the lawsuit, the Pegasus buyout and the new board taking control and were worried about being fired in the aftermath. I'll give Maggie a pass but the rest of them had to know.

When Meredith's 1970s clock was ticking near 5:00 you knew something like the police arriving was going to happen. I don't know if its different in Washington but where I live cops only show up with lights like that if someone dies. Watch Thatcher be dead or something as a fakeout. After this episode I wouldn't be shocked by anything stupid happening.

• Love 4

How do interns and the head of cardio not know the reason why the hospital is named the way it was? Especially when Maggie's mother had the last name Grey. Did she think it was named after Ellis? And if so she never asked what the Sloan was for? 

• Love 1

How do interns and the head of cardio not know the reason why the hospital is named the way it was? Especially when Maggie's mother had the last name Grey. Did she think it was named after Ellis? And if so she never asked what the Sloan was for?

On her first or second episode (last season's finale), she referenced her birth mother working there, and the hospital even being named after her (or having her name in it?), on her way to telling Richard that Ellis was her birth mother. He didn't correct her (because "...that means I'm her birth father" was a tad more pressing, surely, and the Lexie factor was neither here nor there). Seems like it would have come up if she ever heard of how so many doctors came to constitute the hospital board, so apparently she never asked and it was old news to her coworkers by the time she was hired. Maggie gets a pass (or rather, the writers can get a pass for Maggie), but the then-interns showed up immediately after the crash and thus would have followed (local) news reports and heard plenty of hospital gossip, even though they weren't directly in any relevant loops yet. So that was either lazy writing or canon-checking.

ETA: "She was a surgeon here - her name is all over this hospital." So, given Ellis' standing in the medical field, it was entirely logical to assume the "Gray" in "Gray Sloane" was Ellis unless told otherwise or given the backstory, which would have also clued her into the crash. http://youtu.be/0JMj4PIZ3g8

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Love 2

I swear I thought Alex told Arizona that he did her surgery, and told her to be mad at him, which is she threw the food tray at his head.  I guess I can't be bothered to remember details anymore.  It's so pointless to try.

• Love 1

Half the episode felt like a clip show and the other half was a combination of irritating and boring.

Meredith and Derek want more kids? Why? All they've done is argue over who will watch them and leave them in daycare 18 hours a day.

• Love 9

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this episode. As ridiculous as Stephanie's "I'm the protagonist who rescues the patient and you're ruining my story!" outburst was, someone had to yell at Owen and Amelia and tell them to STFU and stop acting like six year olds on the playground.

And even though I was done with the plane crash fallout years ago, part of me appreciates that they are showing how suddenly all those emotions can come back, even after you think you've dealt with it, healed, and moved on. I liked that even though Meredith and Arizona are nowhere near being each other's person, as soon as Meredith realized what was going on she immediately went looking for her. I kind of wish they had just stayed in the closet saying, "We're okay," for the rest of the episode though because I didn't need to see Arizona yelling at Alex. Between Arizona's freakout, Owen and Amelia sniping at each other and then snapping at Edwards, the theme of this week's episode seemed to be Everyone at Seattle Grace Is Angry, Immature, and Yelling.

I get Alex's double guilt about not being on the plane and then being the one to cut of Arizona's leg, and it was obvious that he was stressed and nervous and trying his best to be helpful. I am mostly just glad that he got something to do besides tell Maggie and Meredith how awesome they are.

• Love 7

Can this show be anymore contrived?

Shouldn't that be "Can this show BE anymore contrived?"?  If ever a statement deserved the Chandler Bing added emphasis, it's this one.

{Edited to note that I agree with the poster who said there were still some episodes left this season, so it could get worse.  Why can't I quit this show?}

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this episode. As ridiculous as Stephanie's "I'm the protagonist who rescues the patient and you're ruining my story!" outburst was, someone had to yell at Owen and Amelia and tell them to STFU and stop acting like six year olds on the playground.

That outburst took me entirely out of the story (which I was only half in, in any case). Who says something like that? Who even consciously thinks it? (sociopaths?) And who - no matter how stupid - would say that out loud to their bosses? "No, this is MY story" stomps foot "you don't get to harsh my vibe."

I thought the yoga class scene was some kind of a stress dream, since this fairly noteworthy thing (plane hit a roomful of hugely pregnant women) wasn't even hinted at by anyone else.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 6

I felt sorry for Maggie when she blathered on after April gave the understatement of the year about the gang's plane crash, leaving out the fact that it was a deadly crash. If it was supposed to show Maggie being socially awkward, I think it missed the mark. She didn't simply misunderstand, she wasn't given enough information. She didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that.

• Love 5
I felt sorry for Maggie when she blathered on after April gave the understatement of the year about the gang's plane crash, leaving out the fact that it was a deadly crash. If it was supposed to show Maggie being socially awkward, I think it missed the mark. She didn't simply misunderstand, she wasn't given enough information. She didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that.

Yeah, that was all April's fault for understating it so badly, and then Jo and Alex's faults for letting Maggie prattle on for as long as she did afterward. I mean, what was the point of just telling Maggie "Um, they had a bad experience on a plane" and just thinking she could leave it at that? That's the kind of vague non-answer you give to some stranger you pass on the sidewalk who has no reason to know or care about any details about anything or anyone in your life. Maggie is not that person. If April felt the need to be the one to break it to her, she should have just said it.

• Love 2

I get Alex's double guilt about not being on the plane and then being the one to cut of Arizona's leg, and it was obvious that he was stressed and nervous and trying his best to be helpful. I am mostly just glad that he got something to do besides tell Maggie and Meredith how awesome they are.

How great would it be if this year's catastrophe/tragedy-palooza was Alex finally getting fed up with being everyone's punching bag/Agony Aunt and taking everyone out? Sniper, suicide bombing, arsenic in the soup of the day, really anything would work for me. He could buddy up with Jo, since they keep emphasizing what a criminal she is. It will finally give them something to do, not to mention some quality time together. They love the flashback scenes so much this season, maybe some kind of homage to Natural Born Killers.

This will be my happy place for the rest of the season.

#WhereIsEverybody? #WhyCantIStopWatchingEither?

• Love 4

I liked that even though Meredith and Arizona are nowhere near being each other's person, as soon as Meredith realized what was going on she immediately went looking for her.

De-lurking to say this was probably the best bit of the entire episode and I wish we had seen more from them wrt dealing with all of it. One scene was not enough.

• Love 6

Wrong catastrophe: the documentary was about the shooting.

But Jo mentioned Meredith being in a plane crash in the first episode of S9. (She was crying to Owen about "Medusa" being mean to her after she blew the intern appy.) Of course she would have discussed it with the other interns back then.

When Jo was all "I"ll never look at these people the same again" I wondered if she knew about the shooting. Her own boyfriend was shot and dragged himself to an elevator. That was kind of a big deal too.

I remember a couple of interns gossiping outside Cristina's room when she was catatonic. I think maybe Shane and Heather. They had to all know.

• Love 3

That outburst took me entirely out of the story (which I was only half in, in any case). Who says something like that? Who even consciously thinks it? (sociopaths?) And who - no matter how stupid - would say that out loud to their bosses? "No, this is MY story" stomps foot "you don't get to harsh my vibe."

Agreed. I wanted one of them to say, "Um, no, it's the patient's story. Now go sit down." Because while Owen and Amelia were being immature, I honestly didn't think it changed anything about the patient's care. Stephanie rolling some poor traumatized woman through the hospital full of germs, screaming at her that she had to remember, was absolutely unprofessional. I was glad the woman finally started screaming back at her, but then was equally disappointed when she suddenly made a complete turnaround, remembered the guy, and then Stephanie got the hero edit. The hell? Her behavior was still reprehensible, no matter the outcome.

• Love 13

Stephanie's "I'm the protagonist who rescues the patient and you're ruining my story!" outburst

Oh God it's even dumber when you see the words as opposed to hearing them. What an absolutely shit piece of writing and acting. I swear, the speeches on Grey's have just gotten too bad to even consider actual writing. NO ONE TALKS IN STUPID SPEECHES.

• Love 12

I'll be the dissenter and say that I liked this episode.  Sure, it was a little meta and fanfic-y at times, but I would rather see real life conversations of MerDer in bed, than manufactured relationship drama like Owen/Amelia.   Of course that would be too boring all the time, but I liked it here.  The plane crash flashbacks didn't bother me too much and I really loved seeing Meredith purposely looking for Arizona since they shared this experience together.  I also liked April rolling her eyes at Richard's embellishments and her finally calling him out.

Typical Grey's there were tons of things that didn't make sense including neither Maggie or Jo knowing about the plane crash.  It's already been said that Jo and her class were talking about the crash after the fact so I find it hard to believe she didn't know all those details.  And Maggie, she did seem to think the hospital was somehow named after Ellis but wouldn't she have done some research on the hospital before interviewing?? I've been watching season 10 on Lifetime and when the doctor that Arizona cheated with comes in, she acts like the "Grey Sloan 6" were infamous.  You would think Maggie would have learned something on this thing called the internet.  

Stephanie's obsession with the patient was weird and annoying especially since it didn't even relate directly to her.  Owen and Amelia are like a bad Nora Roberts book, where the couple falls "madly in love", has a stupid nonsensical fight and then make up and live happily ever after...ugh that was terrible to watch.  

Also, I waver back on forth on whether Derek is going to die or not this season...but something bad is coming for them.  We all know that no one can ever be this happy in Shondaland.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1

I guess I can't be bothered to remember details anymore.  It's so pointless to try.

It appears the writers can't be bothered to remember details anymore, either. Which would be one thing if they would keep the stories moving forward... Instead we have episode after episode full of old clips and recycled dialogue.

• Love 5
And was it dark at 5pm?

If its not December then I guess its a dark cloud of doom over the dream house. They probably just wanted to police lights to be highlighted but then they should have just had her freak out time be 8:00.

• Love 2

Am I getting old or did this show get younger OR BOTH?
no, really, have any of the writers ever had a long-term relationship or survive a break-up without regressing to a fucking embryo? I get this is a drama, and that fidelity and cool-heads are boring, but do any of these characters ever realize anything without burning the house down such that I stop caring?

And now this show HAS THE NERVE to critique audience investment in bull-shit DRAMZ?
Are you serial, show?

Grey's Anatomy, season 56, episode 9000, Meredith's 601st revealed half-sister finally tells us The Exact Reason Why Shonda Rhimes is the truest and bestest Feeler of Very Special Voices in A Very Special Law/Medical/Insert Socio-Eco privilege here Practice.

KILL THIS.

Edited by runforcover
  • Love 4

I'm hanging by a thread with this show. If they kill of Derek, I'm done. Owen and Amelia deserve each other, they are the most annoying people on the planet.

Stephanie is a close second.

• Love 3

I think Stephanie's storyline was very Izzie-like.

And was it dark at 5pm? 

It's dark at all hours in 2015, SeattleGreywhatever now that we are watching Broadchurch Hospital.  Check out the pilot, everything is super bright.

Yeah, if Derek actually dies next week this will officially be my last season of Grey's Anatomy. I'll finish out the season but won't check in again unless Kate Walsh or Sandra Oh (or by some miracle Katie Heigl) guest star.

ETA: Also can we please talk about Stephanie? To me, she's the worst and most useless character to ever be on the show (yes, I include Hahn and the other interns in that). She was an absolute mess last night and even in the previous episode. I don't know why she's getting as much screentime as she gets but it's tragic how they're trying to make her character happen. 

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 5

ETA: Also can we please talk about Stephanie? To me, she's the worst and most useless character to ever be on the show (yes, I include Hahn and the other interns in that). She was an absolute mess last night and even in the previous episode. I don't know why she's getting as much screentime as she gets but it's tragic how they're trying to make her character happen.

The problem is, they don't know what to do with her character. They have no decided to stick her to: "I want my own story!" Really, she is trying to corner attendings to do "fun stuff." She complains about how: "No one loves me!" Her lisp is beyond annoying and I'm to the point where she just needs to go. Really, just send her off, she adds nothing to the show at all.

• Love 1

While I found Patrick Dempsey really pretty during all those Mer/Der flashbacks (he was being perfectly McDreamy), I'm so confused about the timeline. Meredith calls Derek and a woman answers his phone. Derek kissed his lab tech, stopped it, flew home, talked about his time in DC and lab tech kissing with Meredith. Then, the next day? he and she are having all the sex and being all cuddly and goofy in bed? To quote one of my favorite movies, "sorry honey I don't downshift that fast." Meredith who spent a whole day seething and complaining to anyone in earshot about the woman who answered Derek's phone just listened to his story and was like, *shrugs* "okay." I mean, I much prefer Meredith who is playfully defensive about her snoring to the one who is "the sun" and stomps around when her husband gives up a job for her, but it just felt like such a tone switch, I felt like I missed an episode or five.

I really hope they don't kill off Dempsey, but instead the lights flashing at the Dream House are the cops giving Derek a ride home after he crashed his car and spent all day helping all those children stay alive from that car accident. I keep up with this show for reasons passing understanding, but if they kill off Derek, I think I'll finally have the motivation to delete it from the DVR and walk away.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

What the fuck. Is Stephanie on drugs? I've frequently found her to be boring and milquetoast, but I've never thought she was stupid.

I think that's the most annoyed I've ever been with a Grey's character. Ever.

That was totally a Lexie plot.  The way Stephanie made it all about herself reminded me of the time Alfre Woodard was playing an author and dropped a bunch of Mark/Lexie anvils on Lexie and us.

• Love 3

I tried, but I was bored. Stephanie was obnoxious, I can't stand Amelia, and Owen grates. No one knowing about the plane crash seems far-fetched. Alex is once again reduced to a mere prop, and I couldn't manage to get anxious at Derek's disparition. It is frustrating because I really enjoyed this show, and now I watch by force of habit but never feel like I've watched a satisfying episode.

• Love 2

As a MerDer shipper, this episode was a great delight, and also a little disconcerting. I absolutely loved their pillow talk. After 10 years and 11 seasons, these two are still magic. It's incredible. This is why I hope it continues. I've written my theories somewhere around here, and that's my happy place until otherwise.

Something absolutely unbelievable has happened: I no longer despise Callie. I never would have thought it possible. I don't know if the writers have toned her down, if the actress is making better choices, or what, but she's pretty okay. I'm not a huge fan, and I won't be watching Callie on YouTube, but this is progress. And having really disliked Maggie's entrance as a character, I think she now fits in very well and I am enjoying her, too.

I adored Alex following Arizona around with such concern and guilt. Poor guy. He's grown into such a great man. I'm still don't give a whit about him and Jo, mostly because I find her bleh. But he's always in my top four all-time favorites.

Let me save all my leftover venom for Amelia and her side-kick, Owen. Good lord, can they make her more unlikeable? I cannot take her seriously as a department head, because she lacks the gravitas. She appears to be a psychological mess. Why would anyone, man or woman, be attracted to this kind of woman? I haven't seen an ounce of kindness or pleasantness in her for weeks. Please, go back to California.

• Love 7

I mean, I much prefer Meredith who is playfully defensive about her snoring to the one who is "the sun" and stomps around when her husband gives up a job for her, but it just felt like such a tone switch, I felt like I missed an episode or five.

It's like bad fan fiction. Who ARE these people? When Derek started talking about having another kid (to store in the 24-hour daycare or with the Magic Invisible Nanny) I thought: Where are Cristina and Mark Sloan when you need them? The "You Are the Sun" thing was crap, but someone needs to kick these two in the ass. They make my teeth hurt.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 3

Kinda meh episode but had decent parts.

Owen and Amelia are the worst of the petty and unprofessional doctors in a hospital full of them. I mean, the worst. Owen's feeling guilty? Who gives a shit. Cry me a river all over to the lawsuit. I don't even know why Owen is a part of the show. He makes absolutely zero sense as the Chief (a pathetic one). Amelia is not far off with her dumb speeches but Owen really bugged me more.

Stephanie did deserved to be yelled by Amelia though. Seriously. 

I really liked Arizona and Alex tonight. They feel more of a team than anyone in this hospital. It's a real camaraderie and they care. I was even impressed by Bailey!

Shut up Richard. Like shut up. 

Loved the MerDer parts. They were sappy but sweet and joyful for once. PD's smile does things to me, so I'll leave it there but nice change of pace from the beginning of the season. Of course the cops would show up at 5:00 PM but well, let's hope whatever speculation turns out to be a fraud and McDreamy's hair lives another perfect day.

Meredith and Derek want more kids? Why? All they've done is argue over who will watch them and leave them in daycare 18 hours a day.

Technically only Derek does. However, this is stupid. At least now that Derek is back, I bet those kids see their father more than they saw their mother in 6 months (?) but still, take care of those first, Derek. 

• Love 2

Why does everyone repeat themselves on this show. "You're ignoring me. I'm being ignored". All I hear on this show lately is the writers trying to be clever. The patients telling their life stories to the Dr's. That dumb first date and how she remembered they had sandwiches. Cringeworthy. In almost every episode someone is angry or avoiding someone and then at the end confront them with a long monologue which is so unrealistic.

• Love 2