Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Breaking Point

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

As usual, random thoughts while watching: 

Nothing like a bloody pee shot to set the stage.

Heh. Sistas are doin' it for themselves!

Good God. Haven't they figured out yet that that tunnel is just a shop of horrors? Seriously, NOTHING GOOD COMES FROM IT.

Poor Ragnar. He's never gonna be over his poor lost boyfriend, is he?

Still not liking the French princess. She just has no personality beyond "I'm fearless."

Ecbert! Oh, you magnificent, slimy bastard. I've missed you.

Damn, Earl Siegfried. That was pretty slick.

Bets on how long before Sulky Chris Pratt snaps and attacks Dad? Honestly, at this point, I'm not so sure he isn't playing Ecbert just like Ecbert is playing him. And...yeah, OK, I'm liking Judith much more these days.

"Winter is coming." Ha.

What was the point of the Christian wanderer in Kattegut? 

I...did not see that coming with the Baptism. Given that it really looks like Ragnar's kicking the bucket next episode, I'm very, very, VERY sad...and worried about the show, honestly, because he's such a compelling character. 

When the seer said "the dead will conquer Paris," I took that to mean the plague, or even Christianity-via-Athelstan-via-Ragnar. I didn't think Ragnar would be the dead one. :(

Edited by bandella
  • Love 3

Loved the slick shade Judith threw at Ecbert.

Hubby is a ticking time bomb, isn't dumb as he looks either.

Hi Athelstan, I miss you.

My first post, was at that doofus losing a hand.

The Emperor has no balls.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba

Throughout the last few episodes did anyone else wonder who Floki and Helga left Baby Angrboda with?  Is she also at Aslaug's daycare center?

These deaths are hard to take when we have invested in these characters.  Who will rise, indeed????  Pretty sure it won't be Floki.

• Love 4

They really had me going in this episode thinking they'd go the predictable "plague in the city" route. Now with Ragnar saying he's "a dying man" and his baptism (as well as the previews from next week) Damiano's predictions on the spoilers thread look like they'll probably be right. ;)

Loved the Indiana Jones-ish giant spiked spool! 

Oh, and when Ragnar returns to Kattegut, I'm not sure he'll be especially happy with Aslaug's treatment of the missionary. I'm glad she got to get away from her daycare center for awhile, but man that was cold!

I'm loving the Wessex storyline. Linus Roach as Ecgbert continues to kill it and I felt a twinge of sympathy for Aethelwulf this episode. Judith was especially fetching tonight, as well.

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 1

I don't think Ragnar will die. I think the baptism will cure him and he'll live.

What was point of a Christian showing up in Kattegut?

I knew the king was going to move in on Judith.

I can't believe next week is the finale. I wish they had this show on twice a year instead of once.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 2

I thought Ragnar's injuries were bad last week but damn...it's hard to see him surviving this one.  I can understand his death storywise but I think killing off the Ragnar character would be an absolute deathblow to this show.

Great episode!  Another really impressive battle sequences, particularly the rolling spikes.  That was sick, as was Rollo stopping it single-handedly.  You're right, that's become a house of horrors for the Vikings.

Fantastic speech by Ragnar at the end and I loved after all his ranting, he wanted to meet with the French.  Didn't see the baptism coming either though I was glad it pissed off Floki.  Lagertha's reaction was interesting too.

Ah, Earl Siegfried, we hardly knew ye but his hand trick and subsequent reaction was funny as hell.

The non-Vikings scenes as Wessex and Kattegat weren't so hot.  Nice to see Ecbert of course.

Anyone else notice that Bjorn was trying to imitate his father's body language when dealing with the knight?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

I wasn't expecting Ragnar to be baptized, I thought he would somehow figure out the city is diseased.  I guess he wants to be reunited with his soulmate. 

Also, Ragnar must have nerves of steel.  He's peeing blood and vomiting all the time, but still manages to hobble around everywhere.

What was with the Christian guy in the village?  Did the first time he held the bar really happen, or was it just his dream?

Next week looks ominous, can't wait!

What was the point of the Christian wanderer in Kattegut? 

Juxtaposition with Ragnar's Baptism, I think. Floki may be mad, but he's not alone in his allegiance to his religion, and Ragnar embracing both (such that he can) is the exception. It was interesting to read Rollo's experession when Ragnar was going through the ritual. I saw it as a typical brother "he's always copying me" look.

• Love 1

Aargghhh!!! Will they just give up on the damn tunnel already?! It's a freakin death trap.

I loved Ecbert's pearl clutching when Aethelwulf asked him if the Mercia trip was a set-up. "What?! Me? Oh no, I would never!" Both men are running a long con, it will be interesting to see who blinks first.

Ragnar can't die. As much as I love the other characters, none of them can carry the show the way he can. Also, there would be no point in continuing the Wessex storyline since the audience is waiting for the inevitable Ecbert/Ragnar showdown over the massacred settlement.

• Love 5

I think the lesson here is

that the Norman dynasty was founded when a Frankish princess succumbed to the allure of Viking abs.

Sometimes this show is kind of like tripping on those hallucinogenic mushrooms the Berserkers liked so much.

Gisela is a bloodthirsty little princess, isn't she. She and Rollo would be well matched.

Judith could do worse than that magnificent wily bastard Ecbert. At least he probably knows (and cares) what he's doing. I'm just saying, a husband who flagellates himself on the regular probably isn't all too familiar with the clitoris.

• Love 11

I don't like the Frankish princess either. Maybe Shirtless Rollo and his big axe can put a smile on her face one day.

Ecbert, you handsome devil, glad you're back! They need to do a spinoff about Ecbert and his family!

Aw, I don't want Ragnar to die!

Ragnar getting baptized!  Lagertha/Rollo/Floki seemed to be loving that little twist, he.  He said it was so he could be with his "Christian friend", but lets not play around anymore, Ragnar.  Athlestan is no mere friend.  He's clearly the love of your life!  And, he might be seeing him soon, considering the state he's in (even Bjorn seems to be in better shape now), but I can see this baptism somehow "curing" him.  Some, this show likes to have miracles suddenly help a character ever.  You can never tell with this show.

Well, the second assault wasn't as bad for the Vikings at the last one, but seriously: that hallway is not a winning strategy for them.  Odo and the Paris crew got that locked down.  Although that trick with the spears, certainly increased Rollo's reputation amongst Paris.  Especially with Princess Gisela.

The French king/emperor really doesn't have the spirit and charisma that Ragnar and even Ecbert have, huh?  He really comes off weak at times.  I have to think the main reason Paris is still standing is because of Odo behind the scenes, and Gisela working the crowds.

Ecbert's faux-outraged over Aethelwulf daring to suggest that maybe, just maybe, Ecbert would totally let him die, was priceless.  Oh, Ecbert.  You aren't fooling anyone.  And, of course!  Of course, Ecbert would make Judith his mistress in order to keep protecting her children.  Because, with Ecbert, sleeping with his son's wife is nothing to him.  Really, might still not even be in the top five worst things he has done.  Linus Roache continues to be a delight in this role.

That Christian picked the absolute wrong time to spread of the Word of God in Kattegut.  Aslaug ain't going to find it has interesting as Ragnar might have.  Nope, she's all about humiliating him and then executing him.

Season finale next week!

• Love 3

Okay, I refuse to believe Ragnar is dying.  I don't think the producers of this show can ignore the fact that Ragnar dies in England at a later time.  I think Ragnar's request to be baptized is a perfect way for the French to believe he is dying.  Ragnar is wearing that big cross and he looks like hell, so yeah, he looks darn serious with his request.  'The dead are supposed to take Paris' so this can be a perfect Trojan horse.  I just can't imagine Ragnar's personal story ending at this point because he still has to slice and dice his way to England in retaliation for the slaughter of the Viking farmers.  I think Ragnar is too important and necessary and must carry this series for another Season at least. I don't find any of the other Vikings compelling enough to take over the lead right now.

Linus Roache just keeps killing it every week!

• Love 8

Judith could do worse than that magnificent wily bastard Ecbert. At least he probably knows (and cares) what he's doing. I'm just saying, a husband who flagellates himself on the regular probably isn't all too familiar with the clitoris.

First, I almost choked on the Twix bar I was eating when I read that. Second, I'd be inclined to agree if not for the scene where he, ah, clearly wasn't doing it for Princess Krazypants. Then again, she might be a special case. Lagertha didn't seem to have any complaints (aside from seeing Ecbert for the slimy bastard he is). 

I want to believe that the "I'm a dying man" and the previews for next week, especially with Rollo and Lagertha, are decoys. Ragnar's just seemingly on his deathbed, and they're just talking to him. Athelstan's ghost is gonna roll up, smack Ragnar on the forehead, proclaim him healed, and saunter his pretty self on out of there again. I believe!

• Love 4

First, I almost choked on the Twix bar I was eating when I read that. Second, I'd be inclined to agree if not for the scene where he, ah, clearly wasn't doing it for Princess Krazypants. Then again, she might be a special case. Lagertha didn't seem to have any complaints (aside from seeing Ecbert for the slimy bastard he is). 

From what we've seen, an entire army of Berserkers wouldn't be enough to satisfy Princess Krazypants. Bless her and her stamina.

• Love 3

Throughout the last few episodes did anyone else wonder who Floki and Helga left Baby Angrboda with?  Is she also at Aslaug's daycare center?

These deaths are hard to take when we have invested in these characters.  Who will rise, indeed????  Pretty sure it won't be Floki.

Yes! I asked my husband last week- where's Helga's baby? He replied it's way too artsy-fartsy for him this season, and went to bed.

• Love 2

Yes! I asked my husband last week- where's Helga's baby? He replied it's way too artsy-fartsy for him this season, and went to bed

Artsy-fartsy is not how I would describe Vikings. That statement made me snort wine on my keyboard.

• Love 3

Haaaaa, Ecbert's face! He was like "omg, this boy went off and grew some brain cells without my permission." He looked simultaneously pissed and impressed, and Aethelwulf was coldly analyzing him throughout his entire spiel. Poor Judith, and I bet Ecbert is playing her with his protection offer. I highly, highly, doubt Aethelwulf would ever hurt a child. He might flail the crap out of her and kill her, but Arthur's fairly safe, imo. If the kid turns out to be a drooling idiot, I bet $5 Ecbert lets the kid fall into the bath.

Aslaug was looking at the priest like he was a foolish child as he walked towards her with the hot poker. I'm sure she was internally rolling her eyes and wondering who starts gallivanting around the world, denouncing every god but his, but doesn't have the common sense to test how strong his god is first. Which is completely counter to how Christianity works, but hey, home field, home rules. Were missionaries really that dumb before they had the force of armies to subjugate their flock first?

Ragnar is in bad shape, but imo he is hamming it up quite a bit. He closed the distance on that priest pretty fast when he said Ragnar will never be with his boyfriend again. His vision sort of felt like strength in weakness, he was in a pool of blood but still alive, the crows weren't coming to feast on him, but his alter self looked down at him disdainfully. Or he could just be high. I suck at imagery and whatnots. Now everyone's pissed right off at him and he can continue with his plan. Lagertha is going to brain him when she figures out he was playing them all, but then again she's bad at pretending.

Bjorn's actor is nailing being Ragnar's mini-me. His intonation when talking down the French guard sounded exactly like Ragnar, and his little head bobble at the end was bang on. Scary.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 4

Aargghhh!!! Will they just give up on the damn tunnel already?! It's a freakin death trap.

Trouble is it isn't a tunnel.  It's the covered bridge over the Seine into Paris.  The ONLY bridge into Paris.  So unless they want to have Floki build some more of his tinker toy towers only to get burnt down again, they are kind of stuck finding a way across that bridge.

I assume Ragnar asking Athelstan's corpse to forgive him for not what he had done but what he is about to do while donning his cross couple of episodes back was the beginning of "the fury of a patient man"  plan that has lead to this. 

Ragnar could give even Ecbert lessons on how to run a con.  First he sets up Floki for failure.  Now he is setting up the Franks into thinking he will take some trinkets instead of Paris AND wants to become a Christian (and getting bonus points for freaking Floki out beyond measure, hah).  Having a wound that puts him close to death is the icing on this long con cake I guess though one even Ragnar hadn't planned.  And if getting baptized means he gets to see Athelstan later on as well, more bonus points to him. 

Anyway it's good to know what Ragnar had planned since Athelstan's burial at last.  Now he just has to survive that wound to his side which was the unplanned bit in all this.  I mean it looks like his wound is for real and pretty bad based on the fact he was seeing both Athelstan and Odin at the same time.  Either that or he got into Rollo's magic mushroom supply. 

(I really need to see that sequence again.  I swear I saw a shadow figure over the shoulder of Athelstan for a second that looked like the traditional version of what Jesus was thought to look like and then there was some bald creature/human near Odin that then went into the blood pool and approached Ragnar maybe?  I have no idea who he was suppose to be.  At least I thought I saw all that.  Maybe it's me that got into Rollo's mushrooms instead cause I have no idea what any of that was about).

Judith made a pretty good deal for herself.  Alfred is protected and Ecbert is a far more charming lover than Aethelwulf could ever dream of being.  Aside from all the blood on his back getting onto the bed all the time there was the fact he mentioned not sleeping with her for over 6 months when he was first surprised to find out she was pregnant.  So if you want to have sex at all and you are stuck with one member of the House of Wessex, and she is, it's the better deal.  Well unless Aethelwulf starts to realize what's going on.

I doubt the young Christian missionary in Kattegat will get killed since we just see Aslaug ordering it but not having him killed on the spot earlier.  Besides Aslaug could use some help with her daycare center duties and I bet he would be good with the kids.  (Daycare trademark credit to Babalooie above).

I will miss you, Siegfrid.  Just when you were becoming a fun Viking to watch too.

When I was watching the battle on (in) the bridge I was thinking that I hope the next time The Amazing Race is in Paris they have a task involving a giant spiked rolling pin.

Well next week we will see who actually believes Ragnar plans to NOT conquer Paris and take the 3 magic beans instead.  Bet he fools both Floki and the Franks.

Edited by green
  • Love 5

It's interesting that I wouldn't have called Ragnar one of my very favorite characters and have been fine with the idea of the show continuing with the stories of his sons, yet the moment the possibility of his death came up I was all "oh no!" Ragnar really is a great lead and helps Vikings feel different from other historical dramas.

Ragnar's baptism may be part of a scheme to conquer Paris, but it's also fitting. Aslaug shows how missionaries are going to be treated and Ragnar isn't a true believer (his conversion is some combination of curiousity/Athelstan reunion/backstabbing strategy), but in the end the vikings do convert.

How I wish the princess was played by a more interesting actress. As Rollo's destined wife she'll probably get quite a bit of screentime in the future, but now she's like someone playing amateur dress-up rather than a character.

Kalf might survive so that his downfall can be a storyline in season 4, but please, let Erlendur get killed next episode.

Vikings has the best battles on TV. I love that Paris has been such a tough fight, it makes this feel suitably epic compared to previous conflicts. That trap was nasty!

• Love 4
Kalf might survive so that his downfall can be a storyline in season 4, but please, let Erlendur get killed next episode.

I think you will be stuck with him for awhile.  I doubt they brought Erlunder (Erlendur??  I have no idea) back to just kill him off this soon.  There is this Bjorn/Erlendur rivalry now with Torvi in between them.  Anyway the late Mr Borg's second wife, the one that wasn't a skull.  So I assume he will be tied in with Bjorn's future storyline for awhile.  Vikings: The Next Generation, The Wrath of Horik('s Son).

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Ecbert's line could have been "I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!" when Athelwulf questioned his motivations, and Linus Roache could have totally pulled it off. Likewise, the trio of Lagertha/Rollo/Flocki had "oh no you DIDN'T" written all over their faces at Ragnar's baptism; I was just waiting for one of them to say it out loud (with the other two finger-snapping).

As has been pointed out many times before, Gisela and Rollo are clearly "the bear and the princess" of the Oracle's prophesy, though I don't think she's as attracted to Rollo as others think. So far she's been staunchly against making peace with the Vikings, up to and including demanding heads instead of bartering out prisoners.

Regarding Ragnar: I'm on the fence about what's really going on with him. A part of me feels he's playing the long con, and all this is just an elaborate performance to pull the wool down over everyone's eyes - but there are scenes in which he's in obvious pain that aren't for the benefit of anyone other than himself. I'm going to have to go back and watch that vision again - I'm not sure whether the wound that appeared on Ragnar's hand was meant to represent the stigmata or the proverbial "blood on my hands". And what was up with the doppelganger?

So, what was going on with the Christian missionary at Kattegut? What was the true sequence of events regarding him carrying the hot poker? I've really no idea what they were going for there, though I enjoyed seeing Aslaug in a leadership role. I know she's not a popular character, but I've been waiting for a reason to like her and this at least was a reminder that she WAS a princess before she met Ragnar. Amusingly cold though, to see her dismissively order a man to kill the missionary while she caring for her baby boy.

LOVED seeing Lagertha and the shield maidens in action; though this was an exceptionally bloody episode. I don't think any single episode has made me wince as much as this one has.

• Love 2

Watched this before work this am....enough with the frickin covered bridge...this is turning into some weird snuff film called the Bridges of Saint Denis County.  Was there no Norse word for reconnaissance or beating a dead horse or an Army travels on its stomach?

Bjorn is comming into his own and Rollo oddly looks smaller in clothes....

I agree with other posters Ragnar playing a game and isn't dying...if he really thought he was dying he would have gone on the raid... also the Hirst isn't going to give up a snake pit death....I imagine a finale like the Tudors where he is visited by all his ghost's....or visions of what his sons accomplish.

• Love 1

I'm not spoiled but my thoughts are this: Ragnar is wounded but he's not at deaths door, he is faking that. Because of his baptism he is going to ask to be buried in Paris, since he's a Christian now and since he didn't get in there while alive, it's his dying wish to be there after he dies, pretty please? Charles the Simple says sure, why not, he's a Christian now, what's the big deal? But it's a Trojan Horse plan, and somehow he uses that circumstance to conquer the city. Maybe he takes some sort of magic mushroom to simulate death, maybe he has some sort of Viking-y coffin built that will hide a bunch of his best warriors. Of course, Rollo and Lagertha will be permitted to accompany his body, for ceremony. They're all in on it.

That's my theory.

Bjorn (the actor) is amazing as a Viking, but especially as Ragnar's son.

As for the missionary back home... He was typical of some pompous religious blowhards (they still exist) who just think that all they have to do is inform the unwashed masses about Jesus and bingo! Conversions for everyone! It's the truth, so how can they deny it? He imagined that he would carry the hot poker without issue and emerge unsullied, but the reality is that God likely has no time nor patience to play "I'm better than you" games by dolling out miracles. Having Aslaug kill him just showed that most aren't buying into Christianity the way Ragnar has.

As for the children, I assume the women left behind and the elderly and older kids are taking care of the little ones, the way most cultures have done it since the dawn of time when the able-bodied adults are working or battling. I don't see the big deal here.

The show has really upped it's game this season, both in scope and budget, which is what the showrunners said in an interview in Entertainment Weekly. They said in season one, they had 1 boat, in season 2 they had a dozen boats, and in season 3 they'd have hundreds. Makes me excited to see what's in store.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 5

Christianity was practically a character in this episode. For me, viewing from a Christian background, I couldn;t get away from the idea that Ragnar's vision was one of being reborn into the faith. His fetal position in "blood" was that of being in the womb. It really rang as a crisis/questioning of faith and his ultimate conversion (whatever extent it actually is) to Christianity. Loved the episode and I think Judith looked absolutely ravishing. I adore Eckbert, he IS such a magnificent bastard! 

• Love 3

Does Travis Fimmel remind anyone else of Charlie Hunnam? I can't help thinking they would be interchangeable in the roles of Jax Teller and King Ragnar. Maybe it's just their coloring.  But I can really see Hunnam playing Ragnar and Fimmel as Jax.

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 5

Not feeling Princess Mushmouth.  Not at all.  Rollo deserves better.

I cracked up when the big Earl pulled the head trick on the executioner.  That was smooth. 

Also, I agree with Shermie's theory about Ragnar.  I just don't see him dying yet. 

Does Travis Fimmel remind anyone else of Charlie Hunnam? I can't help thinking they would be interchangeable in the roles of Jax Teller and King Ragnar. Maybe it's just their coloring.  But I can really see Hunnam playing Ragnar and Fimmel as Jax.

They do resemble each other.  However, while I could see Fimmel playing Jax, I'm not sure Hunnam could bring the crazy eyes and the fierceness like Fimmel does as Ragnar. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Does Travis Fimmel remind anyone else of Charlie Hunnam? I can't help thinking they would be interchangeable in the roles of Jax Teller and King Ragnar. Maybe it's just their coloring.  But I can really see Hunnam playing Ragnar and Fimmel as Jax.

Yes he does. 

Charlie was basically phoning it in, during the later seasons and didn't bother hiding his  

accent.   But Travis has been even more interesting to watch as the show progresses.

• Love 2

Okay, I refuse to believe Ragnar is dying.  I don't think the producers of this show can ignore the fact that Ragnar dies in England at a later time.  I think Ragnar's request to be baptized is a perfect way for the French to believe he is dying.  Ragnar is wearing that big cross and he looks like hell, so yeah, he looks darn serious with his request.  'The dead are supposed to take Paris' so this can be a perfect Trojan horse.  I just can't imagine Ragnar's personal story ending at this point because he still has to slice and dice his way to England in retaliation for the slaughter of the Viking farmers.  I think Ragnar is too important and necessary and must carry this series for another Season at least. I don't find any of the other Vikings compelling enough to take over the lead right now.

Linus Roache just keeps killing it every week!

Totally agree!

Also, did anyone notice how quickly Ragnar came up to the priest, with icy blue fire in his eyes--and not using his staff when the priest told him he would be going to Hell? Loved Ragnar's response, "That is not your decision to make."  ;)

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 3

I highly, highly, doubt Aethelwulf would ever hurt a child.

Erm...remember the attack on the viking settlement? When he ordered the fleeing kid to be shot in the back with an arrow? Given that I don't think he was convinced that Athelstan was anything but another dirty heathen (even worse because he knew God and turned his back), I don't even think the fact that he's the kid's non-biological father would really protect him, if it came down to it. 

I'm still torn between my favorite parts of the episode: the Ragnar's Angels sequence at the beginning, or the dinner scene in Wessex. I'm certain at this point that Aethelwulf's actually struck a deal with Queen Krazypants and is playing Ecbert. Like father, like son, eh?

• Love 1

Ragnar can not die, can he? He needs

King Aelle

to die as the legend goes that

King Aelle was the one that executed Ragnar in a snake pit

I like Lagertha's all-female commandos. However, I do not understand why it has to be all-female. Is it something historically valid with a good technical reason, or is it just for dramatic effect?

As well, I like the Franks' war engineering. From last week multi-spear launcher and this week spiked wheel of death.Meanwhile, the Vikings relies mostly on brute strengh.

I applaud the use of old French in the show. I do not understand the conversation among the Franks. Well, for that matter I do not understand the conversation among the Anglo-Saxons as well. Kudos for the use of old languages.

The Paris of this show, is it only l'Île de la Cité? That is the small island in the middle of the Seine. However, that island is far, far away from the sea. Watching Athelstan's explanation and the Vikings' approach to Paris, I have the impression that it is close to the mouth of the river.

I cracked up when the big Earl pulled the head trick on the executioner.  That was smooth. 

That was one of my favorite moments of the episode. He knew he was dead but he couldn't resist. My other favorite moments include forever shirtless Rollo leaping over that rolling pin and figuring out how to stop it from going back to the Franks.

I really loved when Ragnar got up and told off everyone who was speaking for him. He didn't want to be king but fuck them (especially you Floki), he's the king and they need to listen to him.

• Love 1

I like Lagertha's all-female commandos. However, I do not understand why it has to be all-female. Is it something historically valid with a good technical reason, or is it just for dramatic effect?

I don’t know about the historical precedent, but in this case I imagine that it was decided that you needed a group of people who were on the small and skinny side to slip into the city undetected. Most of the Viking males tend more towards the beefy side.

The Paris of this show, is it only l'Île de la Cité? That is the small island in the middle of the Seine. However, that island is far, far away from the sea. Watching Athelstan's explanation and the Vikings' approach to Paris, I have the impression that it is close to the mouth of the river.

Yes, Paris at the time was only the Île de la Cité. Hence why they keep trying to charge through the same covered bridge even though the Franks always turn it into a charnel house. Their only option is to go that way or have Floki build more floating towers.

Missed scene: the French's stunned, scandalized realization that women fight openly in the Viking army rather than stay home and mind the babies.  Also, Gisla up on the battlements?  She might be taking a more hands on approach than her father, but she was about three feet from the action and without the bloody shroud.  I know, I know, better to ogle Rollo, but seriously: it would have taken ten seconds for someone to put an arrow through her forehead.

I barely noticed her when she first showed up, but Judith has become one of my favorite characters.  She's very much the Sansa Stark of this series, a pretty naive princess who's forced to play the game of thrones and slowly comes into her own; plus, the uncomfortable relationship with a magnificent bastard.  She has a long way to go, but I hope she sticks around in season four because I'd love to watch her eventually gain the upper hand over Ecbert and Aethelwulf.  

Lagertha owned this episode, not only for her stealth swim to the bridge, but the efficient way her team dispatched with a guard and caught him before the body could make a sound.  Way to lead without the crown, girl!

Re: Babies

It was a well-plotted scene to have Aslaug fussing over Ivar, the son that was healed by the Norse gods, when she ordered the missionary's execution.  I don't think he needed to die, but I wouldn't have protested removing his tongue to stop the sanctimonious proselytizing.

Re: Religion

Intentional or not, Ragnar has managed to destroy Floki without removing his head.  He knew Floki would fail, in some way or another, and it would destroy his faith, eat away at him, turn into a punishment worse than death or exile.  Well played, Ragnar.

Re: Ragnar

If he's going to spend so much time talking to Athlestan, he should have followed in Jarl Borg's footsteps and preserved his skull.  Or pulled a Russell Edgington and carry his heart around in a jar.  I'd buy that kind of speechifying much more than taking to air.

Does Travis Fimmel remind anyone else of Charlie Hunnam? I can't help thinking they would be interchangeable in the roles of Jax Teller and King Ragnar. Maybe it's just their coloring.  But I can really see Hunnam playing Ragnar and Fimmel as Jax.

From the moment I started watching this show.  Other than identical coloring, they don't look very much alike in real life, but in costume, they are nearly identical.  What, with the piercing eyes and accents of indiscriminate origins and twitchy body language and intricate hair styles.  Their characters are very similar too, particularly in their relationships with their wives and children.

• Love 3

Were missionaries really that dumb before they had the force of armies to subjugate their flock first?

Oh there are plenty of horrific stories of missionaries killed in horrendous ways by the "heathens" they are attempting to convert, one that comes to mind is a missionary (since made a Saint for his foolhardy exertions) who came to the Americas and was flayed alive by the Indians...regarding the point of the Christian missionary. I think that the scenes of his trial by hot poker was juxtaposed with the beheading of the Viking in Paris to show that both sides, Christian and Pagan, were equally brutal--the Princess wanted the Viking's head instead of using him as a tool of diplomacy, and Aslaug showed no mercy to the Christian in the same fashion, that was my take anyway.

• Love 3

Artsy-fartsy is not how I would describe Vikings. That statement made me snort wine on my keyboard.

Me neither. He gets annoyed with the flowery scenes, foreshadowing and flashbacks- Athelstan's death had me sobbing, and he was just annoyed with the whole thing. Then I reminded him of the beauty and horror of (I think it was) Lief's death at...? Wherever it is they go every 9 years- that was season one wasn't it? The music for that episode has been running through my mind since I heard it.  Vikings is a beautifully crafted show- not historically correct but wonderful none-the-less. Hubby really loves it too, he just doesn't like staying up after his bedtime!  

Me neither. He gets annoyed with the flowery scenes, foreshadowing and flashbacks- Athelstan's death had me sobbing, and he was just annoyed with the whole thing. Then I reminded him of the beauty and horror of (I think it was) Lief's death at...? Wherever it is they go every 9 years- that was season one wasn't it? The music for that episode has been running through my mind since I heard it.  Vikings is a beautifully crafted show- not historically correct but wonderful none-the-less. Hubby really loves it too, he just doesn't like staying up after his bedtime!  

That's why they invented VCR's, along with other devices, and On Demand,

My take was that they were small and agile, and are arguably better at stealth than the men.

• Love 1

Why is Ecbert quoting T.S. Eliot's "Burnt Norton"?

Time present and time past

Are both perhaps present in time future,

And time future contained in time past.

If all time is eternally present

All time is unredeemable.

What might have been is an abstraction

Remaining a perpetual possibility

Only in a world of speculation.

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

Footfalls echo in the memory

Down the passage which we did not take

Towards the door we never opened.

http://philosophicalsociety.com/Archives/eliot.htm

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 4

Whether it's an elaborate plan or not, Ragnars baptism was beautiful ! I immediately thought he looked "healed" as he emerged from the water, eyes all a-twinkle. I can't see this show without Fimmel. It would lose its allure.

The look on Flokis face was priceless!

Ecbert , you crazy handsome devil may care kinda guy..... You best be careful, your son may be playing you more than you think.

I completely squealed with laughter at the Big Earls beheading trick - I pictured the Norse Gods all welcoming him to Valhalla whilst laughing hysterically

• Love 7

Just finished watching. My God, this show just keeps getting better and better. How does it DO that?! Amazing. I loved the whole fucking thing ... Every line, every moment.

(Except I'm baffled by the Eliot poem which is just bizarre.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

What did Ragnar whisper/say when he leaned in to Lagaertha? Something like "you will not question me"? I think she is in on the long con She thinks it's a crazy idea and he was reminding her to go along with it

• Love 1

And we never see who Lagaertha is speaking to in the previews about never seeing each other again. bjorn or kalf might be in on the ruse and want to pull the baptism scheme too. Or am I trying to hard to convince myself Ragnar survives?