Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Episode 7

A trap is set, but it remains to be seen whether it will have the desired result. Paul steps in to help a figure in distress, and in a turn of events she could never have foreseen, Ellie finds herself exposed and alone.

Radio Times preview with a little more info

And an alternate episode description:

As more comes to light about the Sandbrook disappearances, Claire loses her edge, and her cool. Joe Miller's trial comes closer to a verdict.

Edited by staveDarsky

Bonus scene for the episode - Hardy, Miller and Tess.

http://youtu.be/PxvBrZc_aNA

Plus another bonus scene for episode 7 put out by ITV. It's on Facebook, so it may not play if you're not an FB user. Features Jocelyn, Paul and Maggie, set before Maggie and Jocelyn have their scene by the sea.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=797894263599756&theater

And the verdict is....

Gees. How did we know that was going to be the cliff hanger between episode 7 and 8?

Surprised about Claire's pregnancy.

Edited by staveDarsky

Bonus scene for the episode - Hardy, Miller and Tess.

http://youtu.be/PxvBrZc_aNA

And the verdict is....

Gees. How did we know that was going to be the cliff hanger between episode 7 and 8?

Surprised about Claire's pregnancy.

Geez, Tess is a real peach, eh? You threw your career away for my screw ups, but I won't let that make me feel obligated to do my job in any way. I suppose when Hardy and Miller solve it, she'll happily swoop in to take all the credit too. I can't imagine Tess and Hardy ever dating, nevermind getting married and being together long enough to have a child. 

Howling in indignation when they cut away before the verdict. Not. Fair. But I guess if they're solving Sandbrook this season, Joe has to be found not guilty so they can solve Broadchurch next season. It'd be interesting to see what he does with his life if he is set free. Ellie certainly won't have him, and everyone in Broadchurch will still think he's guilty. 

So Claire was sleeping with the dad. Lee was sleeping with Lisa, and maybe the wife. And now foreshadowing of some mysterious father figure? And Lee looking perturbed as he shuts the door on the incinerator? Geez, Sandbrook has so many balls in the air it's becoming ridiculous. 

Happy someone finally straight up told Abby she's awful. Sharon's been trying to correct her every time she goes into barracuda mode, but she seems to have learned nothing from it. 

Mark, still crying that all his dumb shit keeps getting dragged up, instead of reflecting that maybe he was a shit person and should work on that. He has no understanding that he was a terrible father well before Danny died, probably before he even started going to Joe for affection. Beth does not deserve Ellie's comfort. Was there even a scene where she apologized for how awful she'd been? Of course, Ellie can't afford to reject it, because Beth's forgiveness will go a long way in Broadchurch reaccepting her to the fold. 

Edited by rozen

This was a dense episode of television. I still think Miller will be found guilty, but they really threw some doubt in this episode. They need at least 90 minutes to wrap this up. This show just ends poorly for everyone, I have no problem with that, and i've been riveted to every minute of this. 

Wow, whomever called the prosecutor being gay. That didn't even register with me. 

What really stood out was 'here's your fucking pendant' 'WHAT?!' Poor Hardy.

Happy someone finally straight up told Abby she's awful.

This is where USA shows and UK shows diverge. A USA show would have some huge self-righteous monologue about how awful she is. Here, though, it's like, "oh, so the trial is over, hard work all around. Yeah. We clearly won. You're a c***." End scene. 

Which I think is better because I still think Miller is going to be found guilty, but the point of the trial was that everyone is awful, even the attorneys. And it's like, let's just end this please. 

I've never liked a tv show so much but just wanted it to be over so much.

• Love 5

The cliffhanger and jury instructions actually make me think that the verdict will be guilty. They seem like fakeouts for the sake of drama, to make us assume Joe will get away with it only to reassure us in the finale. And although this might be a sadly accurate portrayal of our flawed justice system, I suspect the viewership would revolt with a not guilty verdict. Stretching this out for a third season would be way too much. I trust that Chibnall and his crew can find a completely new and compelling case for season three. (Then again, I would sit through another eight episodes of Poor Danny Latimer as long as I can have Olivia Colman on my screen.)

• Love 3

I agree. I think the verdict will be guilty and the rest of the episode for the Latimer case/Broadchurch portion of the story will be the emotional fall out from that. The series 1 finale put the reveal of the killer's identity early so there was time to explore the emotional impacts.

I think the bulk of the last episode will be wrapping up Sandbrook. And I wonder if one or more of the characters is going to die which could open the story for a series 3.

With respect to Tess, my take is that she's being a hard-ass about re-opening the case officially because it went south in the first trial and I'm sure there was a lot of backlash in Sandbrook about that. Since then, Alec's overseen the Latimer investigation which, if the conviction isn't made, may fail thanks in part to incompetence in the investigation, the blame for which lands back on Hardy's shoulders. So Tess is playing it safe, asking for absolute proof of further evidence. At least she's now listening to Ellie and Alec. The pendant will solidify Hardy's campaign to reopen things.

Edited by staveDarsky
  • Love 1

On rewinding I am certain the bloke said to Abbey "You will think I'm awfull...." and was interrupted. He did not say "you're awfull"

And Sharon cheered when she heard about Abby sleeping with a journalist.

Is it certain there will be a season 3? Because Alec and Ellie need their job back then or start a private eye shop.

"Al & El Agency" though they would squabble about everything.

Nice to see old lesbians.

Nice to see Tom and Ellie together.

(not so nice that Alec send Tom to his aunt. In Ellies shoes I would have drawn a line there.)

That Claire is a manipulative character, isn't she? Always looking for exploiting a person, I think.

• Love 3
On rewinding I am certain the bloke said to Abbey "You will think I'm awfull...." and was interrupted. He did not say "you're awfull"

After Abby insults Jocelyn, he looks at her from his table, walks over to her table, and says, "I wanted to say - I think you're a truly horrible person." Immediately afterward, someone else enters the courtroom and says, "The jury are coming back in."

I don't know why Ellie didn't just say, "My sister does this all the time. She runs up her debts and then asks to borrow money from me. I always say no because she is an adult who should be able to take care of herself but she inevitably wears me down because she knows how to guilt trip me. It's an endless cycle and I always vow never to lend her money again but my sense of duty to my family eventually gets to me every time. I can't count how many times she has asked for money, I said no, she nagged me, and then I ended up giving her money. It's just a coincidence that I gave her money the day that Joe was arrested."

Mark can STFU. When he was at the courthouse whining about how hard that was for him, I just rolled my eyes. Oh, so it's hard to hear all the shitty things you've done described to a bunch of strangers? Maybe try doing less shitty things then. I still don't like Beth, but I think she would be better off without him. I know Ellie warned her that if she leaves Mark, she will really be alone but isn't being along better than being with someone who you don't trust who cheats on you and doesn't listen to you?

Sharon can also STFU. Boo hoo, your son can't appeal his sentence and somehow that is all Jocelyn's fault. She didn't create the laws so it's not her fault that your son can't appeal his case for whatever reason. Unless Jocelyn personally went to the judge and said, "DO NOT LET THIS KID APPEAL HIS CASE," or was able to create brand new legislation specifically pertaining to cases like Sharon's son's, then no, Sharon, this is not Jocelyn's fault. Sharon needs to stop blaming Jocelyn for everything related to her son's case. Maybe if Sharon were a better lawyer, she would have been able to handle her son's case competently. When she said, "You and your shitty justice system can go to hell," it was like listening to parents who say, "Do you know what YOUR kid did today?" It's Jocelyn's shitty justice system when it's not working to Sharon's advantage (or her son's), as if Jocelyn is the one who created the entire British justice system. Jocelyn was correct in her previous assessment - Sharon just blames everyone else.

• Love 4

It's just a coincidence that I gave her money the day that Joe was arrested."

But wasn't the reason Ellie gave her money because her sister said she had information and would only tell her if she got paid? It was a coincidence it happened the day Joe was arrested, but she did pay to get the information.

• Love 3

It bugs me that the original police notes of  Lucy's statement weren't read in court. That would show that Lucy stated she saw a man putting a bag of what looked like clothes in the bin, not that it was specifically Joe. Lucy got specific only when she went on the stand, months after Joe had been arrested.

The impact of Ellie giving her the £1000 could have been somewhat lessened because Lucy's original statement wasn't what pointed the focus to Joe.

My feelings about episode 7 rest mostly on set backs Ellie suffered. She's been demoted back to Hardy's assistant and chauffeur after such growth in control and spirit.

From the first accusation of the affair with Hardy until he went into surgery, Ellie was taking more and more control of her partnership with Hardy and picking up the pieces of the case that nearly killed him. Ellie even infiltrated Hardy's house with her toddler, turning the little shack into a family home of sorts. And he was showing concern for her at key moments. She was getting stronger and stronger until we saw her unleash the bawling out of Tom.

But as she won Tom back, Hardy snuck off and got his pacemaker and then began to take control of his own life, the Sandbrook case and his mission to rebuild his life with Tess. Hardy's got his mojo back and has returned to calling the shots, ordering Ellie to light a fire under Claire, leading the questioning of Thorp and then Ricky and, much to our chagrin, bawling out Ellie for the cheque to Lucy being the last straw that could break the Broadchurch case.

I identify with Ellie and I'm sure I'm not alone among the audience who do. Ellie's loss of ground in her partnership with Hardy left me giving this this episode a negative mark in my book. I have my fingers crossed that the only way to go from here is up and that Ellie discovers the clue that definitively closes Sandbrook and raises her back up to equal partner with Hardy.

Edited by staveDarsky
  • Love 5

So why didn't the prosecutors put Becca Fisher on the stand to corroborate Mark's story? If Sharon's take on events was the true story, and Danny saw his father shagging another woman from the hut and immediately confronted him in the carpark, then Becca would have been right there to see it all. Unless she's implying that Becca had left by then, but it's still pretty dodgy. 

Can't say I feel too sorry for Mark. If he hadn't messed around the police in his attempts to hide his affair - heck if he hadn't had the affair in the first place, then he wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of his son's killer getting off scot-free. If viewers learn ANYTHING from this show, I hope it's that obstructing the course of justice is an altogether crappy thing to do. 

As sleazy as it was, I did love Sharon's reaction to learning Abby had slept with Ollie.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 1

So why didn't the prosecutors put Becca Fisher on the stand to corroborate Mark's story? If Sharon's take on events was the true story, and Danny saw his father shagging another woman from the hut and immediately confronted him in the carpark, then Becca would have been right there to see it all. Unless she's implying that Becca had left by then, but it's still pretty dodgy.

Oh, nothing of what Sharon suggested made any sense at all, if you stop and think logically about it even for a second - her proposed sequence of events holds no water whatsoever. But it doesn't have to, that's the trouble - she's just throwing out a supposition hoping to plant a seed of doubt in the mind of the jury. That's all she needs, as the defence barrister: reasonable doubt.

• Love 3

My husbands 92 year old grandmother had a pacemaker put in and was up and walking in two days. The worst was the allergic reaction to the antibiotic she was given rather than recovering from the actual surgery. So, surprisingly fast if there are no complications.

• Love 5

Sharon's case for Mark killing Danny doesn't explain what Danny was doing out in the middle of the night at the cliff top cabin and car park. If he wasn't meeting Joe, then what was he up to? And would he have followed Mark there and then waited for Mark to confront him? There were so many flaws in the alternate scenario she proposed.

Side note on the pacemaker recovery. It was a nice touch that David Tennant specifically didn't use his left arm to put on his jumper. Spoke to Alec's upper left chest still needing some healing before he could put his arm up. But yeh. Who's out climbing hills two days later when he'd been fainting and was in such deteriorated health pre surgery?

Edited by staveDarsky
  • Love 3

Sharon's case for Mark killing Danny doesn't explain what Danny was doing out in the middle of the night at the cliff top cabin and car park. If he wasn't meeting Joe, then what was he up to? And would he have followed Mark there and then waited for Mark to confront him? There were so many flaws in the alternate scenario she proposed.

Yes, there were. But that's the beauty of her strategy. She doesn't have to explain anything. She doesn't have to prove anything. She just has to plant that invidious little seed of doubt in the minds of the jurors. Let's just hope it didn't take root!

• Love 1

Only one scene with Ollie? Praise the heavens that pillock got very little screen time this episode. Although I wish Ellie's sister had told him off for his romantic rendezvous, as it gave the defense a boost in casting that seed of doubt. Poor Ellie being lambasted once more on the box, she looked so exhausted of the accusations..

I thought Sharon would've scolded Abby for sleeping with Ollie but instead praises her. Jocelyn's junior attorney was absolutely spot on about telling Abby what a horrible person she was. She's shown insensitivity towards this case for too long now, and is the epitome of sleazy lawyer. Disturbing that her next case will be a sexual assault.

I agree with whoever said that Becca should've been put on the stand to corroborate that story. Really disappointed that they weren't allowed to let Joe tell his version of the events. At least Tom realizes his father may not be as clear cut as he thought and is showing his support for Ellie.

Scenes that made me laugh include:

• Mark's overdramatic "I can't handle this" moments when a verdict couldn't be reached

-Lee and Claire's tussle at the beach. Dysfunctional doesn't begin to describe these people. Maybe Lee really does need protecting more as we see who is really pulling the strings.

Edited by Eri
Only one scene with Ollie? Praise the heavens that pillock got very little screen time this episode. Although I wish Ellie's sister had told him off for his romantic rendezvous, as it gave the defense a boost in casting that seed of doubt.

That would be the pot calling the kettle black considering it was Beth's sister who a) demanded money in exchange for information on what she'd seen that night, and b) changed her story on the stand and identified Joe as the man she had seen, therefore backing up Sharon's version of events that Ellie had paid her to frame her husband. 

Between her sister, son and husband, Ellie has the crappiest family ever. If Freddie grows up to be a serial killer it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 2

Another day, another bonus video for episode 7. Set just before everyone was called in while the jury had their questions answered.

http://youtu.be/cTrwIERvYXc

Unfortunately it plays in the UK only. If you're elsewhere you have to use an app that gets around geo-blocking. If I find an unblocked one, I'll pass it along.

Here is the unblocked bonus video with Paul and Becca.

• Love 2

Makes me wonder if this will have some bearing on the end of Joe Miller's trial. Paul doesn't have as much to live for. Becca's lost her boyfriend (and financial manager) thanks in part to Joe Miller. Hmmmmm. Possibilities.

I don't think this will have much bearing on the case at all, or they wouldn't have cut it out of the actual episode. I think we're passed the point of any twists in the Miller case. They'll probably reveal the verdict right off, and then spend the rest of the time dealing with the emotional fallout, plus Sandbrook.

Why haven't Lisa Newberry's parents been involved? Did I miss something somewhere? Wasn't Lisa's father Ricky's brother? It's odd how little they are mentioned compared to Lee and Claire.

• Love 1

I am frustrated by the everyone's thin-skinned response to the defense attorney's badgering. She successfully gets a rise out of everyone, and it's just through pure shouting accusations. She's had one tactic all trial, and yet everyone has fallen for it. If just one person had just laughed or otherwise refused to get baited by her, I don't think this would be nearly as close a call as it is.

Oh, and line of the night to Ben, calling out Abby.

• Love 7

The e-books that were published following each episode give a little detail people are wondering about, not seen in series 2. Since they were written under the supervision of Chris Chibnall they're fairly close to canon. I'll put the little bit of detail we learn from each book into the corresponding episode thread.

From the e-book for episode 7:

Before Claire moved to Sandbrook, she lived with her grandmother in Wales and near her parents. Her grandmother gave her the pendant as she was leaving for England.

• Love 3
(edited)

@staveDarsky

Thanks for doing that. I enjoyed reading your posts with the e-book details and found them very interesting. It always helps when you have more information that helps to flesh out the characters.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 1

I identify with Ellie and I'm sure I'm not alone among the audience who do. Ellie's loss of ground in her partnership with Hardy left me giving this this episode a negative mark in my book. I have my fingers crossed that the only way to go from here is up and that Ellie discovers the clue that definitively closes Sandbrook and raises her back up to equal partner with Hardy.

StaveDarsky, I get where you are coming from, but I must admit I was so thrilled to have Hardy be healthy again, it didn't bother me.  And solving Sandbrook in many ways will be his redemption if he can do it.  I see their relationship as becoming more balanced again. 

I do love too that Ellie didn't really make allowances for his obvious illness.  She's not exactly tender towards him (even Lee seemed more intrigued/concerned).  Season One Ellie would have been much softer I think.  Season 2 Ellie treats him the way he wants to be treated and I think that's why he likes working with her.  I'm not sure  she loves working with him, but obviously there's mutual respect.  I think back to her immediate and scornful rejection of a hug from him in the first episode.  Based on the end of season one, I would have thought there could be a friendly hug, but I like that the show immediately established that barrier again.  These two don't quite know each other, even now.  That intrigues me for some reason.

I know we're not quite to the end yet, but I think what I like about this season is how some of their bad decisions do have consequences.  Letting Ellie beat the shit out of Joe was clearly very bad judgment.  It was a great scene last season, but I like that they're paying for it now.  Same with her decision to pay her sister, a fact I had forgotten.  I don't know if the writers planned it that way, but if they didn't, I think that's good use of the previous season.

And oh that fight between Claire and Lee was very scary.  Well done by the actors because it looked very cold.  I do think it's funny that for such a small town that nobody was near the beach to stop them. 

• Love 4

I don't know why Ellie didn't just say, "My sister does this all the time. She runs up her debts and then asks to borrow money from me. I always say no because she is an adult who should be able to take care of herself but she inevitably wears me down because she knows how to guilt trip me. It's an endless cycle and I always vow never to lend her money again but my sense of duty to my family eventually gets to me every time. I can't count how many times she has asked for money, I said no, she nagged me, and then I ended up giving her money. It's just a coincidence that I gave her money the day that Joe was arrested."

Because that would make sense.

Because that would make sense.

Oh, nothing of what Sharon suggested made any sense at all, if you stop and think logically about it even for a second - her proposed sequence of events holds no water whatsoever. But it doesn't have to, that's the trouble - she's just throwing out a supposition hoping to plant a seed of doubt in the mind of the jury. That's all she needs, as the defence barrister: reasonable doubt.

If nothing Sharon said made sense, the doubts from such nonsense aren't reasonable.

• Love 1

A roll in the surf, a rapprochement, and the return of the jury in the season's penultimate Broadchurch.

I love the call out to Mad Men. Now that it's back and under analysis from fans and critics, I am seeing other ties Broadchurch 2 has to it. Both are heavier on the character study than they are on a constantly advancing plot. That's been infuriating some Broadchurch 1 fans who were hoping for a procedural or linear plot they could follow and look for clues in. Even the Sandbrook case, hasn't released many clear details, but has provided contradicting stories so we don't know for sure what's what. Well, there's lots of that in Mad Men. And maybe it's because I'm a fan of MM that I was happy to look at Broadchurch 2 the same way -- cherishing the symbolism in scenes, parallels in characters and themes in Broadchurch series 2.

• Love 2

I'm wondering if Joe will be found not guilty and be murdered after leaving jail.   Then, season 3 would be about solving his murder.

I don't know what to make of Claire and Lee.   Is one guilty and the other covering or are they both guilty?  Is this story is supposed to be like the case of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka ?  Initially it was believed that Karla was a victim forced to aid her husband who raped an murdered women including Karla's sister, and she was offered a plea to testify against him.  Later video tapes of the rapes were discovered showing she was an active participant, but it is was too late to withdraw the plea bargain. I still don't know how Claire's relationship with the dad factors into the case. 

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 2

Thanks for the links to the bonus scenes but without closed captioning to me they may as well be speaking Chinese! I love David Tennant's accent in particular but without CC I couldn't follow this show at all.

There were at least two occasions at trial where I'd have expected opposing counsel to raise objections, but they seemed to rarely, or ever do that. I wondered if this was a difference in the UK system, or just bad writing. When for example the defense was questioning Ellie about the payment to her sister. Prosecution should have objected for badgering, or asked and answered, and asked for whatever the equivalent of a redirect is, to get Ellie to explain, as described by ElectricBoogaloo above, to mitigate the damage.

The prosecution was allowed to insinuate, at some length, that Joe not taking the stand implied guilt. The judge let it go but instructed the jury to make of it what they would. I was on a murder trial jury two years ago and the judge was very clear up front that we were not to take the defendant's not taking the stand as any indication of guilt. And the DAs never mentioned it--it seemed obviously out of bounds.

Also earlier, the suggestion of an Tom/Ellie affair, minus any evidence other than meeting in a room. The defense appears to be allowed to throw out any outlandish insinuation, without any objection from the other side that it is unsupported.

On another note, as others have mentioned, I'm also not interested in Sharon's son, or Knight's eyesight or mum or girlfriend.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 2

Luckylyn, having seen the last episode, and having lived through that horrible time in southern Ontario, this is NOT going to be like the Bernardo/Holmolka case. Please put that out of your head. It really creeps me out that a few fans have brought that all up again.

• Love 1

Hardy 's angry speech was delightful, especially since he said it to a very baffled Lee. The actor playing Lee does sly and confused so well. The angry speech was also the only time I have gotten a glimpse of The Doctor. Didn't bug me because I love that show and it was fun to see Tennant with some energy. And I love how he says "angry". I may need to visit Scotland.

• Love 3

Ugh I can actually see why people would wonder about a resemblance to Bernardo/Homolka - There's the possibly-abusive definitely-sketchy relationship between Lee and Claire, the creepy looks from Lee towards the neighbours that could possibly be interpreted as an implication of some sort of serial nature to the crimes, the way Claire was planning on testifying against Lee and looking for protection, etc.

I honestly can't think about this case without my stomach turning - this case (literally) hits very close to home for me, and the plea deal is beyond infuriating and I couldn't bring myself to have an iced cap for months after Homolka went on TV and talked about how excited she was to have an iced cap for the first time.

I will reiterate what SteveDarsky said - at the end of the day (series), this in no way resembles the Bernardo/Homolka murders. I'm honestly not sure how much press they got in the UK, so I don't know if the superficial resemblance is intentional or not, but I'm leaning towards not. But at any rate, it's safe to eat your dinner while watching the finale.

Geez, Tess is a real peach, eh? You threw your career away for my screw ups, but I won't let that make me feel obligated to do my job in any way. I suppose when Hardy and Miller solve it, she'll happily swoop in to take all the credit too.

I know that we're supposed to like Tess but she bugs the crap out of me and I don't think she and Hardy should get back together. Not that I want him with Ellie either.

Or Ellie could have said - look, my sister is sort of a fuck up, I lend her money all the time. If you go through the past year of my account you can see the pattern. That way even though this particular 1K was info, the jury could at least know that there was an established pattern of bailing her out.

I can't decide if they're going to find Joe guilty and end this particular story, or if they'll continue the drama. I thought I'd read somewhere that there was indeed going to be a series 3?

Of course, they are saving the verdict for the finale.  Should have known.  It really could go either way sadly (I say sadly, because it really should have never been this close, but Jocelyn's lackluster skills, Hardy/Ellie's mess ups, and Mark being Mark really made it easy for Sharon.)  But, if I had to step up and make a prediction, I"m leaning towards guilty, because since it sounds like it will be a majority verdict, I find it more likely that most members think Joe's guilty with a few holdouts, versus the majority finding him innocent, while two or three think he's guilty.  Again, I could certainly be wrong, but I would find that more likely.  Then again, this entire courtroom drama seems to be taken in a magical world, where normal rules don't apply.

At this point, I've given up on even predicting the Sandbrook stuff.  Now, it's back to Lee being the top choice.  But Claire still seems shady to me, even if she turned over the pendant.  And the victim's father still is playing some part in this.  Whatever; I hope they solve this so Hardy and Ellie can get a victory.  James D'Arcy is still great at being a creep: he really is completely different from his charming Jarvis on Agent Carter.

Beth continues to think about a divorce, which I still approve of.  I mean, Mark really isn't trying to fight it.  He keeps claiming he doesn't want to leave, but he just doesn't seem to give a damn.  So, please, just dump his ass, Beth.  Glad we finally got a Beth/Ellie scene that was nice.  But Beth still better apologize big time for the way she treated her throughout this entire thing.

Doctor Who fan loved seeing Arthur Darvill and Eve Myles get a scene together.  Rory Pond and Gwen Cooper together!

So, Jocelyn really was in love with the reporter (Maggie?  Can't remember.)  It actually was nice to see a relationship between two older women.  I hope they actually continue this.

Going to try my best not to spoil myself over this next week!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I do love too that Ellie didn't really make allowances for his obvious illness.  She's not exactly tender towards him (even Lee seemed more intrigued/concerned).  Season One Ellie would have been much softer I think.  Season 2 Ellie treats him the way he wants to be treated and I think that's why he likes working with her.  I'm not sure  she loves working with him, but obviously there's mutual respect.

Excellently put, Jeansheridan. Hardy and Miller are the only reason I stuck with this season, and despite the occasional bout of Idiot Ball-itis on their parts, I've really enjoyed watching them. It's so rare to find a platonic relationship on tv that really delves into why two characters can be so important to each other, and how they can influence each other so strongly. And the part I've bolded is why I find their interactions so interesting to watch - they don't necessarily like each other, but they *understand* each other (something that I don't think could've been said for season 1 Ellie) and that's a distinction few shows make.

I do think it's funny that for such a small town that nobody was near the beach to stop them.

Heck, those two are both so obviously bonkers that if I happened along the beach during their fight, I'd run the other way!

I'm hopeless lost on the sandbrook case but enjoying anyway, for the life of me can't understan claires appeal to lee but I guess these things are not understandable, she doesn't seem beautiful or interesting or compelling. Whereas he's definitely got some kind of interest. But we could find out anyone did it and I'd probably accept it at this point.

In the UK are the jury allowed to draw inferences from someone not testifyin?

I did think jocelyne had better defenses she could have raised.

Loved the smack down to the junior.

And love the it's never too late for the 60-something lesbians. Love is beautiful. Whenever.

• Love 1

Call me daft, but I've never quite believed that Joe IS guilty. Season 1 gave us so many viable suspects in that town it was positively creepy but Joe was never even in the mix until the last episode or next-to-last episode and all of a sudden he confesses. I've always thought he was protecting his son, who killed Danny accidentally, which I think is what happened in Gracepoint.  When he tells his lawyer that he "can't go to prison for this", I interpreted that as it wasn't that he couldn't do it because life in prison is hell for a pedophile, but because he really didn't do it.

Fully prepared to be wrong next Wednesday.