Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 4/20/15

Is Hodgeman really leaving?

Looks like, but I hope he's not literally leaving Earth. Mars looks a little drafty.

It looks like some people are divided about Jonny-bun's departure, but for me I feel really sad that this week's been highlighted with lasts. I heard that Simplot piece with Aasif was producer (and international piece partner-in-crime) Brennan Shroff's last field piece, and the Sandwich/Congress piece was senior field producer Miles Kahn's last.

Despite the opinionated reactions (which I respect because it's free of speech), I really am going to miss them, and I know they worked their butts off trying to complete them. I guess TDS is trying to clean the palette for the next generation to do those pieces. I think the departures are timed just right so everyone who worked with Jonny-bun will be there on his final day. Speaking of that, where's that correspondent reunion he and Steve Carell promised to do if Jonny-bun retires?

Also, my sadness is gonna be worse once it's Samantha Bee's last day. I'd rather have it now than let it drag on until August 6.

I was horribly disappointed in the Neil deGrasse Tyson interview. So, he thinks he's seeing an upswing in interest in science? Really? Where? When every single Republican legislature is working overtime to discredit and ignore science across the country and remove funding for it everywhere they can? When the majority of Republicans in congress deny climate change is even real? Where is all this renewed interest in science he's seeing? Has he insulated himself into a Twitter fan bubble?

I always enjoy Neil deGrasse Tyson, but confess that this was one of the times I enjoyed him a little less than usual.  However, I just keep loving the guy because he's the reason most people can now name an astrophysicist and not have it have a sort dusty connotation.   So I forgive him a lot, including the odd lead-footed tweet and uninteresting interview.  

That said, yeah, he does seem sort of insulated, or perhaps more accurately, as if he has to be attached to a "Go science! We are making changes and people are listening!" narrative because....well....shoot, he's like the world's best recruiter for the concept of "You can be funny, you can have a sense of humor, you can be socially adept and still go into the sciences!"    I love the dude for a lot of reasons and I think that's part of his game plan.  I know one of the things he's talked about has been how he worries that kids won't be attracted to astrophysics without an active space program, because they need role models.  

So I think he's just engaging in some "accentuate the positive!" role modeling, it just seemed a touch out of place because of the TDS setting.  

Long-winded way of saying, "yeah, not one of his best, I agree, but I still love the dude." 

Some of these farewell to a long time correspondent segments are coming off sort of flat.  Jason's was just oddly strained for reason I don't really get and at the end of Hodgeman's I wondered if he and Jon Stewart simply don't get along particularly well.  I'm not hinting at antipathy, by the way, but there was such a "this is routine, bye" to it all that Jon was shuffling papers as the camera cut away, and usually he's busy giving the warm hand clasp or hug.  

• Love 1

Some of these farewell to a long time correspondent segments are coming off sort of flat.  Jason's was just oddly strained for reason I don't really get and at the end of Hodgeman's I wondered if he and Jon Stewart simply don't get along particularly well.  I'm not hinting at antipathy, by the way, but there was such a "this is routine, bye" to it all that Jon was shuffling papers as the camera cut away, and usually he's busy giving the warm hand clasp or hug.  

Hearing that now makes me nervous how TDS will handle Jonny-bun's last day. I don't expect a super grandiose tribute, but I hope they're hiding something sentimental and special. Maybe if TDS looked back at the personal impact on everyone (not just the media and politics, but the audience) they can bring the correspondents back. I mean it would be a travesty that 104 days from now the final moments of Jonny-bun's time on the show will go off in a disappointing way. TDS will have to raise the bar if they want to send off Jonny-bun properly because Ollie-Scone and Colbert's final episodes were just sentimental enough to leave a empty hole in my soul. 

Maybe, stillshimpy, TDS wants to save the heart-wreching moments for Jonny-bun's last day, so to do that, trim off the unnecessary parts of the show in order to savor the real heart of it for later. 

I kind of felt that NdgT was conflating "geek culture/nerds" (comic books/comic book movies/rise in interest in fantasy&scifi/BBT) with interest in science. However, he does have  a point- in that he has a talk show on TV and the fact that Cosmos was a hit on a major network + rebroadcast on cable when a few years ago, it'd be stuck on PBS.

I would think NdgT is probably conflating interest in science with him getting a lot more work to talk to people who are more of a general interest audience. There's more interest in science from his perspective because

There's the joke about the omnipresent "Fox News Blonde" but Dana's "The Five" co-panelist brunette Andrea Tantaros is possibly one of the most rabid anti-Obama people I have ever seen on TV. What the heck is she going to when he's out of office?

Oh they transfer outrage easily. If a Republican is president it gets redirected towards anyone putting up the slightest opposition. Remember the rage over Democrats filiburstering a single digit of Bush judicial nominees? (Compare that to their frustration that Democrats wouldn't accept every single judicial nominee being blocked.) If a Democrat wins the White House, they'll transfer their hate to that person... and there will be a transition over the election season to that effect. Give it a couple years and Obama will go to being the good, reasonable Democrat the way Hilliary Clinton was a couple years ago.