Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 4/20/15

One last visit from Neil deGrasse Tyson... good times.

4/20: Gayle Lemmon (author – promoting book “Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield”)
4/21: Jeff Garlin (actor – promoting TV Show “The Goldbergs”)
4/22: Dana Perino (former White House Press Secretary & author – promoting book “And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice from the Bright Side”)
4/23: Neil deGrasse Tyson (astrophysicist & host of TV show “StarTalk”)

• Love 1

Dana Perino? Really, bookers?

I posted these listings on Twitter, and shortly thereafter received this ominous message: "Dana Perino (@DanaPerino) is now following you on Twitter!" I'd much rather it would have been Neil...

Personally, I would love to see Jon's old "pal" John McCain come back for one last round. I'm sure we'll see Bill O'Reilly.

• Love 2

Dana Perino? Really, bookers?

Well it's better than Lindsay Graham, any other Republican running for President, and even any other person from Fox News. At least Dana's been on the show before and she doesn't sound as crazy and biased than other certain people are. "Boring" seems to fit the glove.

Aside from Dana, I gotta give some luv for Neil deGrasse Tyson. He never fails to amuse me whenever he's on TDS.

I always love seeing NdGT on TDS. He was great on The Nightly Show last week, even if they totally misused him in a stupid panel on conspiracy theories. NdGT was totally game, though, and had legit explanations for any conspiracy they threw at him.

• Love 3

Gayle Lemmon's book sounds really interesting, but I wish she hadn't spoken in so many platitudes. I thought Tavis Smiley and Eric Greitens did the same thing.

I wonder when Noah will start as host. I assume the show will go dark for at least a week after Jon's last show.

Kinda sucks the joy out of seeing John Slattery as a deli guy in tonight's show.

NOTHING can suck the joy out of seeing the Silver Fox as a deli guy.

• Love 2

NOTHING can suck the joy out of seeing the Silver Fox as a deli guy.

Nothing except Jon announcing his final show, I'm afraid. <:(

I wonder when Noah will start as host. I assume the show will go dark for at least a week after Jon's last show.

Might be quite a bit longer. They'll probably have to remake the entire studio as to not make it look like it was still Jon's, have Trevor settle into New York, do some test episodes. It's at least three months from Letterman's last Late Show appearance and Stephen's first as host, so it may not be a surprise to think it could also be months between Jon and Trevor. Especially if someone here said was true and Trevor was doing a stand up tour later on this year.

I didn't even realize that was Jon in playing the deli cashier until the second time they showed him. But I thought the whole "bit" was a bit overblown for an opening segment. Would have been better trimmed down for a second segment bit.

Jon seemed to always take about 3 weeks off in August for vacation. I imagine we'll probably see Noah start around the first of September. 

Because the best way to draw attention to the danger that campaign finance causes is to fly a strange device into a no fly zone on Capitol Hill. There were so many fails involved with that story.

Watching the fun Jon and Jeff Garlin had together made me wish we could have seen more of him on past shows and less of others (Will Ferrell for example). Sofia Vergara has a movie out in a couple of weeks, maybe they could have her on just to see the different shades of awkward from Jon.

• Love 1

Because the best way to draw attention to the danger that campaign finance causes is to fly a strange device into a no fly zone on Capitol Hill. There were so many fails involved with that story.

Watching the fun Jon and Jeff Garlin had together made me wish we could have seen more of him on past shows and less of others (Will Ferrell for example). Sofia Vergara has a movie out in a couple of weeks, maybe they could have her on just to see the different shades of awkward from Jon.

I would love to hang out with those guys.  They seem to genuinely enjoy each other's company.  Did anyone think that the lotion shop was a private joke between Jon and Jeff?

• Love 1

A short article in the NYTimes today reported that the show would go on hiatus after Jon's last day "for the rest of the summer," and Noah would start "sometime in the fall." His fall tour dates (according to his website) don't seem to include September, so maybe he'll start then and take a short break to fulfill his October UK obligations.

I wish Jon would have let Garlin talk a bit more. I felt same way with Monday's guest. He's interrupting people more and more.

Could you imagine the temerity of the media asking presidential hopefuls about the dominant social issue of the day?

I actually question whether most of them really care and are only against marriage equality because of their base. Which is spineless really. It's time to grow up.

Garlin is a man that likes to laugh. I always like his scenes on CYE because you know he's genuinely cracking up. 

A short article in the NYTimes today reported that the show would go on hiatus after Jon's last day "for the rest of the summer," and Noah would start "sometime in the fall." His fall tour dates (according to his website) don't seem to include September, so maybe he'll start then and take a short break to fulfill his October UK obligations.

Considering that the last day of summer officially comes on Wednesday the 23rd of September, and that he begins his tour of England nine days later on the 2nd of October, I doubt we'll be seeing Trevor's TDS hosting debut 'till about mid to late October at the earliest.

I wish Jon would have let Garlin talk a bit more.

They probably converse like that privately, so NBD.

• Love 1

If he does that with an important guest explaining a serious topic making news that week, that's one thing. But Jon's allowed to let loose when he has on a longtime friend and fellow comedian like Jeff Garlin. It actually makes the interview a whole lot of fun.

Teachers can't afford to hire good lawyers to keep them out of prison by a judge who's opinion on the worst thing to ever happen to Atlanta should be questioned on his judgement, while super rich sociopaths in the 1% can and are allowed to do the same jobs they did that got the U.S. into so much financial shit. Because AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!!!

• Love 3

Yeah, Jon nailed what bugged me about the sentencing in the school cheating scandal. It wasn't the fact that they didn't deserve some sanctions, but that the ATL has had so many more heinous things than this scandal. And it's unseemly for a white judge to be so condescending during the sentencing. It makes my stomach turn.

• Love 2

I'm sure those teachers/administrators in Atlanta got far far less money in their bonuses (and probably had to pay that back) than the Wall Street people did (and they didn't have to pay it back).  By the way, what did happen to all those fines on banks?  Did any of it trickle down to consumers/homeowners?

• Love 3

Jon was nicely combative with Dana Perino, and she held her own pretty well. She didn't get to push her book, heh.

Her book is #1 on Amazon.  She certainly doesn't need his help in selling it. 

• Love 1

Her book is #1 on Amazon.  She certainly doesn't need his help in selling it. 

She's been on every single NPR/WNYC show I listen to for the past few days. There's no escaping her.

She's been on every single NPR/WNYC show I listen to for the past few days. There's no escaping her.

It's what people do who are promoting a book, movie, etc.

I like her and I think her book is a good read.  She shouldn't have wasted her time on The Daily Show though.  Jon wasn't really interested in discussing what she was there to promote, but rather to bash her network and one of her co-hosts on The Five.  I thought it was rude. If Jon has a problem with one of the guys on the show, then man up and face him, don't hide behind the woman sitting in front of you and take pot shots at her co-host.  How pathetic.

• Love 1

Jon wasn't really interested in discussing what she was there to promote, but rather to bash her network and one of her co-hosts on The Five.

Good for him doing that. Jon's shots at The Five and Fox News are well placed and deserving. They, and the network they're on, are a horrible cancer on America. He has no more reason to give any of them any fucks at all.

So this looks like the final appearance by John Hodgeman. That was a weird way for him to go out. And what he said at the end there should come as no surprise to anyone.

Love how NdGT pulled no punches about living on Mars. All talk about living there is such wishful thinking right now. And I'm really fed up about Superman vs. Batman in a fight. They both have the same beliefs about justice and humanity but are different in the way they go about it (I am looking forward to Dawn of Justice next year though).

• Love 2

And I am sure Jon would have no problem inviting any of those from "The Five" on the show and debate him.  I'm sure he isn't afraid to engage in discourse with any of them.  My guess is none would appear if the invitation is granted -- and for sure nobody there at Fox News would "lie off" challenge.

I also love me some NdGT.  He's just great in whatever format of a show he is on.  He gets it, in more ways than one.  And I like how he makes a dumbskull like me get it when he talks science.  Could listen to him for hours on end talk about anything.  Just a great guest as always.

• Love 2

He has no more reason to give any of them any fucks at all.

Then why invite her on the show to talk about her book, and then ungraciously bash her co-worker and her network?   Again, if he has a problem with somebody else on her show, grow a pair and confront them.   It was rude.  Of course, Dana, being the gracious person she is, seemed to take it all in stride.    Jon is small potatoes compared to folks in the press corp that she faced on a routine basis.  She doesn't get rattled easily.

And I am sure Jon would have no problem inviting any of those from "The Five" on the show and debate him.

She wasn't there for a debate.   She was there to discuss her book.  Maybe Jon doesn't understand this concept.

Edited by ChitChat

She wasn't there for a debate.   She was there to discuss her book.  Maybe Jon doesn't understand this concept.

Are you kidding me? He's the guy who took on that stupid Crossfire and as a result the show was canceled. He's talked to many right leaning people including O'Reilly on this show.

You must have a crush on Perino.

He kind of doesn't and it's been this way since the beginning basically. He does the same thing for most people from the media/politics. Huckabee, O'Reilly, Reza Aslan, Rand Paul, Elizabeth Warren, etc...During the Zagodra Bill ((for 9/11 first responders) episode, Huckabee came on to promote his book about Christmas or something written for kids. They managed to talk about it in the extended interview part, but during the main aired interview? Yeesh.

Some of the times he did try to discuss the book were some of the most trainwreck interviews on the show (Chris Matthews, Harry Reid). Heck, with some actors who come on, he hasn't even seen the movie and they end up bs-ing about things like life in North Dakota.

It wasn't a different/special technique he set aside just for Perino. If you're a writer not from media/politics, he'll talk about the book (some rare exceptions). Otherwise, anything is fair game.

You must have a crush on Perino.

Lol. no!  I just find her story interesting, especially her work with charity and with mentoring young women.  Her advice for women regarding careers interests me.

I used to watch this show, and found it quite funny (years ago,) but somewhere along the way it went off the rails, IMO.  Jon comes across as very rude in many instances, and I just don't like his style.  YMMV.   I tuned in just to see Dana's interview, and while Jon was cordial, some of his comments were unnecessary.  If he has a problem with "the dumb guy," by all means, invite him on the show and hash it out. No need to hide behind his co-host. It's not her issue.   I am thrilled to see him finally leaving TDS.  It's about time. 

Heck, with some actors who come on, he hasn't even seen the movie and they end up bs-ing about things like life in North Dakota.

You made my point.  Isn't the first rule of an interview to have some knowledge of the person's book or movie? 

Edited by ChitChat

Then why invite her on the show to talk about her book, and then ungraciously bash her co-worker and her network?

Why would she accept his invitation then if she knows what to expect? It's not the first time Perino appeared on the show as a guest. And who really gives a fuck about the feelings of the shitty network she's employed at?

Of course, Dana, being the gracious person she is, seemed to take it all in stride.    Jon is small potatoes compared to folks in the press corp that she faced on a routine basis.  She doesn't get rattled easily.

Yeah, Dana Perino is so gracious and stoic when she's defending the sociopathic policies of the Republican party, like her former bosses in the Bush administration.

And "small potatoes" Jon could do a far better job of asking questions to any White House spokesperson than the majority of the WHPC, many of whom work for the corporate mainstream media that Jon detests.

I am thrilled to see him finally leaving TDS.  It's about time.

People concerned about the well being of this society would beg to differ.

• Love 10

People concerned about the well being of this society would beg to differ.

I don't look to him for serious reporting of the news.   Sorry, but I think he can be a jerk at times. He's not my cup of tea, and that's why I quit watching his show years ago.  I thought I'd tune in one last time though.  Seriously, when is his last show?  

Sorry, but I think he can be a jerk at times.

Don't mistake someone like Jon for Bill Maher.

I don't look to him for serious reporting of the news.

Jon wouldn't want anyone to think that he was doing serious reporting. That being said, he has more integrity in what he does than most of the mainstream media.

and that's why I quit watching his show years ago.  I thought I'd tune in one last time though.  Seriously, when is his last show?

Why would you care if you stopped watching his show a long time ago?

• Love 7

There's the joke about the omnipresent "Fox News Blonde" but Dana's "The Five" co-panelist brunette Andrea Tantaros is possibly one of the most rabid anti-Obama people I have ever seen on TV. What the heck is she going to when he's out of office?

There's the joke about the omnipresent "Fox News Blonde" but Dana's "The Five" co-panelist brunette Andrea Tantaros is possibly one of the most rabid anti-Obama people I have ever seen on TV. What the heck is she going to when he's out of office?

Rabid hatred of the next Democrat president or rabid asskissing of the Republican one.

Seriously, when is his last show?

August 6.

Don't mistake someone like Jon for Bill Maher.

Bill Maher is such a smug jackass. Friends and I just had a conversation about how though we agreed with a lot of what he says, he's such a dick about it you almost want to disagree with him. And then there's all the stuff that he's just awful about. I think at one point he was an anti-vaccine, racist, misogynist, which makes a great combo. Anyways, I'm going to miss Jon dearly.

• Love 7

I was horribly disappointed in the Neil deGrasse Tyson interview. So, he thinks he's seeing an upswing in interest in science? Really? Where? When every single Republican legislature is working overtime to discredit and ignore science across the country and remove funding for it everywhere they can? When the majority of Republicans in congress deny climate change is even real? Where is all this renewed interest in science he's seeing? Has he insulated himself into a Twitter fan bubble?

I would have dearly loved for Jon to have him tackle the climate science deniers or at least address it instead of that silly Batman vs. Superman exchange. Idiotic. What a waste of Neil's time, and mine.