Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Promise

The Promise? Wasn't that a smash-hit 1988 single by When In Harlan?

Last scene? Raylan's got Boyd dead to rights, Boyd is speechless for the first time in his life. Raylan lowers his weapon and turns to walk off into the sunset. Boyd breaks into song: "I'm sorry but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. But if you wait around a while I'll make you murder me, I promise. I promise you I will!"

Raylan turns back around, rolls his eyes, "Oh for the love of..." *bang!*

• Love 1

I really hope the song plays in the episode. It would be fitting no matter who does/doesn't. 

My prediction is that they will finally play the version by the person who wrote it... Darrell Scott.  Seems right fittin.'

• Love 1

My bet?

The Promise is from the first episode: Boyd asks Raylan if he'd shoot him if he had a chance.

Raylan replies "You make me pull, I'll put you down". 

Boyd's gonna make him pull, and Raylan's gonna put him down.

• Love 1

Damn Boyd is one tough mean MF.

Raylan and Wynona didn't end up together?  Wynona is married to Richard?

So Raylan, Boyd, Wynn and Ava all got out of Harlan alive?

Ava had Boyd's son?

Markham's death was excellent.

Boone's death was anticlimactic.

And Boyd is still talking.

• Love 3

Damn, that ending was perfect. So let's tally the final score:

Boyd Crowder: In the joint.

Ava Crowder: On the run with the next generation of Crowders.

Raylan: Still a lawman, still alone.

and that leaves our big winner of Justified: Wynn Duffy! Nine million richer and surfin' in Fiji.

• Love 23

It worked for me. Definitely.

Mulling a lot of it over. On a minor note: I'm halfway through Bosch on Amazon Prime and it was super weird to see Jason Gedrick as Winona's new husband.

Good casting on little Zachariah. He looked like he could be a Crowder and with his existence, Ava's motivation and desperation were much clearer.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 8

For a minute at the begining, I thought Tim and Rachel were gonna tell the other marshals to go look in every warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in the area.

Also, how fucking satisfying was it when Boon went down, slowly, bleeding out and died? that character was a tool, and at times it felt like even the show was mocking him. But I didn't actually feel any tension in that scene; no way were they gonna have Raylan die at the hands of a five minutes  old character. I guess the whole scene was a set up for Ava's escape.  Loved that. She was a problematic character this season, but I'm really glad she got out, she had a kid (I thought she couldn't after Bowman), and that she'll raise that little kid out of Harlan.

Wynn Duffy in Fiji. how much do we love that?!

And Boyd back to preaching, I think half the inmates in his flock are there just for the Boyd's theathricals.

Also, there were many references to the pilot, last one being "We dug coal together". I got a little emotional at that, I'll admit.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 12

Great finale!  I was very happy with how it turned out.

I'm glad Raylan didn't kill Boyd and the show ended with the two of them, which was very fitting.  Glad of course that Raylan survived too.  Raylan was absolutely right not to tell Boyd about the kid but I felt sorry for Boyd anyway.  Still, I started laughing during his sermon.  Man's still got it.

Of course Boyd's son has his shirt buttoned up to the collar.

I can't say I'm surprised that Raylan and Winona aren't together though that surprised me.  At least Raylan seems to be happy as a father.

Some wonderful cinematography.  When Raylan was being taken in of course but it was great during the shootout scene, which was really well-done.

Wynn Duffy!  The ultimate survivor.

Just very happy with the finale.  Thank you to the cast and crew of Justified for a great six years!  Was a hell of a ride!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 11

I only wish Raylan had shot Boon while he was running his mouth...that guy got on my damn nerves

I got a good laugh when the officer who was transporting Raylan threatened to put him in the trunk

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 11

Every note struck perfectly. I can't wait until the final season comes out on DVD. I'm going to gorge on this show. Again and again. 

So many hysterically funny lines - Art and Raylan mostly. Tim - my snarky sniper made it. 

Perfect ending - 'We dug coal together'. 'Yeah, we did.'

• Love 4

Yes, that was less bloody than I was expecting.  The deaths were the right ones, Boyd in jail working up his next con, Ava forever looking over her shoulder despite Raylan's efforts and Wynn getting a real tan in Fiji.  I don't believe Boyd really bought Raylan's story about Ava.  Glad the Marshalls of the KY office made it intact.

Not really surprised that Raylan didn't end up with the happy family scene but is still working law enforcement in Florida.  The two butterfly bandages for the bullet graze was LOL for me.  What was the symbolism of Raylan taking Boon's hat?  Was the white hat a trophy from a shooting at the beginning of the series?  I'm a ways away from the 1st season.

Good finish for the series overall.

What happened to Loretta??

They did not say! Did she go straight into legal weed and become some sort of joint.com tycoon?!

Love how she saved Rayland life. Justin's retiring the favor to him!

How much cash did Loretta gets from Meg's?

Do you think Wanye Duffy took all 9 million with him? Seems kind of greedy if he did! At least leave avya a few hundreds thousands for eating money!

Even wild bill Cody always left his gambling loser enough money for meal the next day!

Edited by gwhh
  • Love 1

Nice little cameos by Ellen May, Limehouse, and of course, Wynn and his dog grooming van.

Don't cross Art or he'll rip you a new asshole as big as a watermelon.

• Love 8

Not great, but solid series finale. At least, Justified's writers did not lose their way.

I thought that was Jason Gredrick, but then thought, "nah." He was damn near unrecognizable.

Not great, but solid series finale. At least, Justified's writers did not lose their way.

I thought that was Jason Gredrick, but then thought, "nah." He was damn near unrecognizable.

I don't think I would have recognized him if I hadn't seen his name in the opening credits.

• Love 1

Ava moves to Lebec, of all places?  Well, at least it's not Gorman or Neenach.  I'll never look at pumpkins the same way again.

Down On All Fours Grooming.  So Wynn Duffy.

Forgive me, but the first thing that went through my mind when Art pulled out that bottle was Apple Pie. 

And so it ends, with "We dug coal together".

ETA:  Oh, and that CO at the federal pen sure looked like Arlo for a flash.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 1

I'm a weepy mess. That was just about perfect. Well done, Graham and Co.

We got the song, we got a bloodbath, we got a showdown, we got Raylan and Boyd smiling and exchanging barbs, and we got a little Crowder surprise. Winn lives, Loretta takes care of business.

" Never understood what she sees in you. "

" Be kinda weird if you did. "

I'm satisfied.

• Love 14

Was it legal or "justified" for them to start shooting at Boyd as he ran away from cabin, without him shooting at them first?

Edited by gwhh

-“Sorry, fellas-to drink in here ya need a badge, or a pair of tits."
-"Art…show em’ your tits."
-"Let’s start with the badges.”

Christ yes, Raylan did away with Boon's hat. And I guess Loretta went back to be pot queen at Harlan.

I wasn't surprised at Raylan and Winona not being together, as well. But iI could swear, in a few years, she'll ditch that guy and hook up with Raylan for a while again. I think that's their  dynamic.

It was nice to see Ellen May onelast time, even if it wasn't for real. Also nice to have Dickie Bennet at least for a few minutes a bunch of episodes ago.

• Love 7

Had to laugh when Raylan was taken in by Raylan 2.0. When he told Raylan he wasn't going to tell him again about backing off the partition. Then Raylan's . expression. Awesome. Also how he challenged Art, so like Raylan.

• Love 9

I'm glad Ava got away alive and with a baby. I cheered her when she drove off. Why didn't you take the keys, Raylan? He had to have known she was a flight risk. All she did was run. I wonder if she knew she was pregnant and that's why she stole the money. Good call to those who guessed she called Wynn. Now all that talk about the van set up makes so much sense.

I'm also happy that Raylan didn't kill Boyd after all and he's up to his old tricks in jail. I'm not surprised that Winona and Raylan aren't together and she's got yet another husband.

I was a little disappointed that we never got a wrap up with Vasquez and I'd love to know where Loretta was in the end.

I'm going to mourn that hat.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
  • Love 1

"We dug coal together"

What is all this dust here, have to get to cleaning....*sniffle*. 

Second best was Rachel to Raylan "Nice hat". Getting me all emotional. 

Much less bloody than I expected, but I thought it was a great wrap up. We got the song, we got Raylan and his little girl, we got Boyd back to his theatrical preaching, we got closure with Art, Tim, and Rachel, cameos from Limehouse, Wynn, and Ellen-May, and no one I liked died!

I am going to miss the absolute hell out of this show. *sniffle* 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10

I was very impressed with the J turn that Raylan made after Boon rear-ended him.  flawless.  But then I'm not sure how Ava managed the same maneuver with her hands tied.  Its a tricky thing to pull off with both hands. 

• Love 3

Was it legal or "justified" for them to start shooting at Boyd as he ran away from cabin, without him shooting at them first?

Yes, they knew that he was armed and had already shot Carl and an officer of the law/unimpeachable badass (Bob) and as a result they had probable cause to believe that Boyd posed a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officers on the scene or others he would encounter as he fled the scene.

Edited by 90 Day Pinochet
  • Love 1

Thank you Justified for one hell of a ride and a lovely ending.

Can you imagine Vasquez' temper tantrum upon realizing he hasn't ended Raylan's career?

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 1

That was just lovely. I felt that they really gave a nice send off to everyone. I enjoyed the slow pace of the last half of the episode. I was sad that Raylan and Winona couldn't make it work, but that makes sense. Why now after all the times in the past that it couldn't?

"We dug coal together." Great line to end on.

• Love 2

I loved it.  I loved it!  I am totally satisfied with the ending.  Now I can unclench. 

When Boyd said "We dug coal together" I got teary-eyed.  If the glass hadn't separated them, I wished they had kissed.  *sniff*

• Love 7