Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Duggars Say I Do

I didn't really understand why Josh and Anna's wedding invitations were 2 different kinds. I know it was to save money, but was one set more fancy/more expensive than the other set?

I also liked Josh and Anna's wedding and reception better than Jill and Jessa's cheap-o version.

Josh's singing was pretty decent, imo. However, I thought it was awkward that he sang to Anna during their wedding -- I'm not a fan of that.

I felt bad for Jinger. She said her relationship with her best friend, Jessa, will never be the same. Why must it change when the girl's get married? That had no bearing on my relationships with my best friends when they got married before me. I hate that for Jinger.

Of all the couples during the questionnaire, Jill and Derick really are not in sync with each other. They're almost uncomfortable to watch. You could tell Jill was getting frustrated that she and Derick couldn't come together and answer one question the same; she seemed a little annoyed with him too. Poor Derick, Jill must be not a lot of fun to be married to.

Josh and Anna have a great relationship. They have fun together and are an excellent fit for each other. I think Jessa and Ben will develop into something similar.

I think I'm the odd man out. I didn't much care for Marjorie's OTT intense performance. It felt like a performance to me and not exactly sincere, but that's me. I liked seeing Josiah much more just talking with Josh.

I agree with your comment about Marjorie. I thought she was a bit fake. Overexaggerated.

What do girls do who don't like kids? How did Jessa avoid getting stuck with childcare duties?

Become excellent organizers...take on tasks like "packing all the suitcases" and "arranging the family closet".

I actually laughed a lot in this episode; the Duggars did show some personality! Justin's comment about pranking Jackson was soooo funny. 

While I do think Jill and Derick can come across annoying as a couple, I don't think they're awkward or weird together; not every couple relates the same or comes across the same to others. I think they seem very fond of each other. And, as it has been said before, they kind of had a short everything for each step of their relationship; maybe they just need time. However, I couldn't believe Jill's funeral comment about Miss Cathy! That came across so, so wrong!

I do like Josh's sense of humor, and it's great to see how close he and Anna are and how easy-going they are too. The singing may have been embarrassing, but I gotta admit he didn't sound half bad. And if I'm not mistaken Josh is looking a little healthier in this talking head.

Okay the Marjorie/Josiah announcement...just awkward and embarrassing...but hey, I give them a pass, they are teenagers and just having fun. 

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 1

What annoys me about a filler episode like this one is that they are so far behind what we know is happening in real time. I cannot believe that they don't have enough material to make a full season. If anything, they need to start showing things closer to current events before people lose interest in watching the show and just start getting their Duggar news from the internet.

• Love 5

I had forgotten about Josh singing at his wedding, but I actually liked the song and his voice.  Even my husband said he sounded good.  And you can tell Anna loved it...I think she loved it even more when he did it when prodded by the camera person/producer.  I thought it was sweet. 

I know that as a professional singer and conductor I tend to be harsher than most, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. But he had no business singing in that situation. It was a classic rookie mistake. I don't know how much singing in public he had done before that, and I'm gonna guess not much (if at all). While I think with some training he might be pretty good- he chose the most nerve-wracking filled day of his life to SING in public? What the hell? It was awful, amateur hour singing and I had to put it on mute. But again, it's a classic Duggar, out of touch, narcissist move. What idiots. As if that terrible slobbery kiss wasn't enough to be embarrassed about, now we had to sit through that warbling? UGH! LOL!

• Love 2

My question is why do they even need a "wedding planner"? They aren't serving real food, don't have chairs or tables for guests, no music etc. How hard can it be when there is only the ceremony and ice cream to look forward to?

It wasn't hard, and even then Sierra couldn't manage to do it - i.e. melted ice cream at Jill's wedding. Of course, that could also have been a TLC plotline for some wedding drama - to keep us all on the edge of our seats. Oh no, the ice cream's melted! What will they do now?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Become excellent organizers...take on tasks like "packing all the suitcases" and "arranging the family closet".

I can totally imagine Jessa telling Jchelle that the family closet is a mess and she needs to spend all day reorganizing it, by herself and then hiding out up there, painting her nails, listening to Beyonce and reading magazines.

• Love 5

I know that as a professional singer and conductor I tend to be harsher than most, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. But he had no business singing in that situation. It was a classic rookie mistake. I don't know how much singing in public he had done before that, and I'm gonna guess not much (if at all). While I think with some training he might be pretty good- he chose the most nerve-wracking filled day of his life to SING in public? What the hell? It was awful, amateur hour singing and I had to put it on mute. But again, it's a classic Duggar, out of touch, narcissist move. What idiots. As if that terrible slobbery kiss wasn't enough to be embarrassed about, now we had to sit through that warbling? UGH! LOL!

The part that amazed me the most about that was that 6-7 years later, he seems to still think that was a good idea, to the extent that he sang it again! He clearly is proud of that performance. Anna looked a little bit less enchanted with him than she used to.

I can totally imagine Jessa telling Jchelle that the family closet is a mess and she needs to spend all day reorganizing it, by herself and then hiding out up there, painting her nails, listening to Beyonce and reading magazines.

I know I would.

• Love 2

You should see the video of Josh singing in front of an audience at Chic-Fil-A. 'This Land is Your Land' Talk about cringe worthy. He really thinks he's talented.

• Love 1

You should see the video of Josh singing in front of an audience at Chic-Fil-A. 'This Land is Your Land' Talk about cringe worthy. He really thinks he's talented.

Oh my. Cringe-worthy is exactly the right phrase. He doesn't sing badly, but it doesn't come anywhere close to good either. One of my college "suitemates" was a voice major and she had a line she used quite often while we were in school. "Sounds like that person has had his first voice lesson - just enough to be really dangerous..." LOL.

Edited by Wellfleet

Finally soldiering through this episode. I never saw the Josh/Anna wedding, and I think JD should have been SHOT for taking it upon himself to inject some levity into someone else's wedding. And Josh singing at his own ...? No. Just no. I don't get that, no matter how incredible the bride or groom's voice is...and Josh's is average at best.

I know it was probably staged for the camera, but if I walked in on Sierra playing with MY kids when she has kids of her own at home, I'd be majorly weirded out. Get a life, creeper.

It's been a long time since I've had a little one, but I'd welcome the challenge of breaking Josie of that licking habit.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 3

It was nice to be reminded of how well Josh and Anna worked out, given how little time they really spent together before they were engaged. Divergent opinions on family size aside, they seem to be a really healthy couple.

Hopefully Jill and Derick will grow into a relationship like that. As someone mentioned above, they seemed so good together in Nepal, and so awkward now. Jill correcting half of what he says, and while they'd be expected to do the worst on the "newlywed game," they were clearly insecure about it and Jill seemed annoyed with him. Whereas the other couples laughed off their incorrect answers.

I was totally annoyed by JB's wedding ring fake-out work Ben. Back when the wedding was aired, I was pleasantly surprised there were no shenanigans, but apparently not.

I don't remember Josh's wedding well enough to know, but I got the impression from John David's wedding ring explanation that he really had forgotten the ring and was selling it as a prank after the fact. Does anyone know/remember? Inexcusable as a prank; you prank the ring (if it's that kind of best man/couple relationship and you must) by pausing like it's not there briefly before smiling and pulling it out, not by actually leaving it somewhere outside.

• Love 1

Jill and Derick were awesome together in Nepal and it's like some kind of switch flipped when Derick returned to Arkansas. I liken it to having a vacation fling and realizing you have nothing to talk about once you're back in the real world.

I don't think Jill is a bad person, she's just grown up being the perfect goody two-shoes. It's hard to have an intimate, genuine relationship when you're always on your best behavior.

In Nepal Derrick was "the man".  He was the one Jill and Jim Bob followed around, he led the way with his experience of living there and showing them where to go, what to eat, how to eat, sightseeing, bartering/shopping and where to get a good shave!  Story changed when he came back onto Duggar turf and Jill goes back into I am in charge mode and Derrick sadly complies.....

• Love 8

JD and Josh probably pranked each other so much as kids that JD had to go the extra mile at Josh's wedding to be believed by Josh.  That's ok.  I thought it was fine.  He made a nice jump and a fast run.  They laughed.  I smiled.  No harm, IMO.

In Nepal Derrick was "the man".  He was the one Jill and Jim Bob followed around, he led the way with his experience of living there and showing them where to go, what to eat, how to eat, sightseeing, bartering/shopping and where to get a good shave!  Story changed when he came back onto Duggar turf and Jill goes back into I am in charge mode and Derrick sadly complies.....

And... Derrick has forgotten how to get a good shave. That skimpy, patchy look he's currently rockin' is just not good.

• Love 1

I think I read somewhere that Jill likes the unshaven look.

She said in one of the episodes that she prefers the "shadow look" (which translates for the rest of us, I assume, to "5 o'clock shadow").

Edited by graefin
  • Love 1

JD and Josh probably pranked each other so much as kids that JD had to go the extra mile at Josh's wedding to be believed by Josh. That's ok. I thought it was fine. He made a nice jump and a fast run. They laughed. I smiled. No harm, IMO.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just concerning Josh and JD, but that was Anna's wedding too. I noticed she smiled and laughed, but I think she was really pissed off.

• Love 3

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just concerning Josh and JD, but that was Anna's wedding too. I noticed she smiled and laughed, but I think she was really pissed off.

You can hear her say to Josh, "did you know about this?" And he sort of says, " yeah, maybe" and she looks SO unhappy.

• Love 2

You can hear her say to Josh, "did you know about this?" And he sort of says, " yeah, maybe" and she looks SO unhappy.

I'm glad you noticed it too. I thought I might be projecting how I would have felt on to Anna. And let me just say, if my future-husband let his doofus brother make a joke of my wedding, there would be no sweet fellowshipping for a very long time ;) I'm fine with silliness at the reception, but leave ths actual ceremony alone! Just another example of how Duggars disrespect churches.

• Love 4

"Yeah, maybe?" What a stand-up response. Either own it or CYA, but it's a yes/no question; maybe isn't a thing. Doofus. Lie your ass off, would be my advice. ;-)

• Love 3

I watched the epi again last night. I noticed that Jackson looks exactly like Jessa. He's going to be a handsome teenager.

I noticed this, too. One of the things that I find odd about the Duggars is that there are 19 of them and, for the most part, they don't look like siblings. I realize that not all siblings look alike, but there are so many of them, and they just don't seem to share common features. 

I see a bit of JB in JD -- particularly the doofusy personality, and I think that Joseph and JD look a bit a like. I also think that Jana and Joy look a bit alike. One of the howlers looks like cousin Amy, and now this howler looks like Jessa.

I don't mean to suggest that J'chelle has has a dozen lovers (ick), I just think it's odd that the kids look so dissimilar.

I'm glad you noticed it too. I thought I might be projecting how I would have felt on to Anna. And let me just say, if my future-husband let his doofus brother make a joke of my wedding, there would be no sweet fellowshipping for a very long time ;) I'm fine with silliness at the reception, but leave ths actual ceremony alone! Just another example of how Duggars disrespect churches.

I'm guessing because the Duggars don't do a toast or anything at their weddings, that this was John-Doofus' big opportunity as best man. And that lame skit - and of course the trashing of the getaway car - was the best he could come up with. Pathetic, but understandable when you consider his dad is Boob.

• Love 2

"Yeah, maybe?" What a stand-up response. Either own it or CYA, but it's a yes/no question; maybe isn't a thing. Doofus. Lie your ass off, would be my advice. ;-)

I think he actually said something like "I might have had a feeling..." Haha, good thing Anna was kind of weak back then because I feel like the Anna we see today wouldn't have brushed it off as well as she did!

• Love 1

I think he actually said something like "I might have had a feeling..." Haha, good thing Anna was kind of weak back then because I feel like the Anna we see today wouldn't have brushed it off as well as she did!

This sounds right. What I remember is the general feeling expressed above. He knew about it, and really hadn't realized until that moment that she would be upset or that others might find such behavior in church inappropriate. But there wasn't ownership, either. At least not on the camera footage we saw.

I'm guessing because the Duggars don't do a toast or anything at their weddings, that this was John-Doofus' big opportunity as best man. And that lame skit - and of course the trashing of the getaway car - was the best he could come up with. Pathetic, but understandable when you consider his dad is Boob.

I really freaking hate the car trashing. And I REALLY hate seeing the couple drive off with streamers still hanging over the side view mirror, which seems to happen every. Single. Time. /rant

• Love 4

I don't mind streamers and general decorations. I don't even mind JD attaching the horn to the brake panel, as it's clear that's something Josh would be able to fix easily the morning. It's kind of fun for many couples to be recognized as newlyweds, as most people haven't had the big attention of a television splash.

But the trashing and fish and nasty stuff is simply uncalled for.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch this recrap.  I just wanted to note that if either side of my family --- mine or my husband's --- ever had a wedding and food wasn't served (an actual meal, with vegetables and meat and a starch, not just ice cream sundaes in plastic cups) there would be a riot.

The "next generation of Duggar brides." I wish it was the next generation of Duggar scholars!

One of the saddest things about this cult is that no one in their social circle will ever ask the Lost Girls (Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn, and Josie) "what do you want to be when you grow up?"  Because they have no options.  In their world, girls exist solely to breed.

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 1

My 12 year old would horrify them. She is adamant that she doesn't want a husband (or a wife) or children. She wants to live in the country and run an animal rescue facility. Knowing her, that's exactly what she'll do. We regularly hear 'Don't count on my for grandkids' LOL

• Love 4

My 12 year old would horrify them. She is adamant that she doesn't want a husband (or a wife) or children. She wants to live in the country and run an animal rescue facility. Knowing her, that's exactly what she'll do. We regularly hear 'Don't count on my for grandkids' LOL

And this is where I just cannot conceive of the Gothard belief system. In my worldview, running an animal rescue facility is precisely one way of using your gifts as we are taught Biblically -- caring for God's creation. 

• Love 4

And this is where I just cannot conceive of the Gothard belief system. In my worldview, running an animal rescue facility is precisely one way of using your gifts as we are taught Biblically -- caring for God's creation. 

Absolutely. If she grows up to do that I will be one proud mamma.  Of course I guess I'm not supposed to be proud :-).  She cares for God's creatures like people care for their children. How can that not be pleasing to God???

Ok - to be fair she hates squirrels because they mess up her bird feeders  but she loves all other animals LOL

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

Finally soldiering through this episode. I never saw the Josh/Anna wedding, and I think JD should have been SHOT for taking it upon himself to inject some levity into someone else's wedding. And Josh singing at his own ...? No. Just no. I don't get that, no matter how incredible the bride or groom's voice is...and Josh's is average at best.

I know it was probably staged for the camera, but if I walked in on Sierra playing with MY kids when she has kids of her own at home, I'd be majorly weirded out. Get a life, creeper.

It's been a long time since I've had a little one, but I'd welcome the challenge of breaking Josie of that licking habit.

I totally feel you in your post.  I would have hunted JD down and broken a leg or two for sardines in my getaway car.  

Sierra must have a nanny so she can come play with the Duggar children.  

And your comment about Josie and the licking comment!  LMAO.  Totally agree.  I've taught my dogs not to lick.  Josie would be a fun 'challenge'.  The Duggars love the word but take on very few that really matter.  

• Love 4

Love her! She already knows her own mind.

• Love 1

Watching this episode made me realize who Early Anna reminded me of......Adrian from "Rocky" before and just after marrying Rocky. She had that same sort of twitchy, looking down, complete awkwardness about her. It's interesting to see how far she's come, particularly since they've moved their circus ring to DC.

Watching this nonsense again. Did anyone else die a little inside during the whiteboard Q&A when Jchelle and Boob agreed that the animal he was most like was a tiger? You can't tell me that's not even a little sexual.

Watching this nonsense again. Did anyone else die a little inside during the whiteboard Q&A when Jchelle and Boob agreed that the animal he was most like was a tiger? You can't tell me that's not even a little sexual.

We need a 'barf' button instead of the 'like' button

• Love 3

One thing I noticed is Jessa always stares at Ben's mouth when he speaks. I wonder why? Does she have hearing problems? Is she trying to figure out what he's saying? It doesn't seem to be the standard adoring look.

She know where it's been.

• Love 1